Was just reading my first-impressions of OFP: Dragon Rising

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Was just reading my first-impressions of OFP: Dragon Rising

Heh... read the last paragraph :D I wonder how this will stack up?

Originally posted by WhiskeySix
    Just got done playing for a good 2 hours with Troublesome, Phennixx, Undead, and later jb4. We played the first coop mission on hardcore mode. This mission you've got 3 primary objectives and three secondary objectives. We never did complete all of them - all dying somewhere along the way.

I jotted a few things down so I'd remember... Here's the quick list of truly first impressions - I'll give a detailed 'review' after getting more play-time under my belt and try the other MP modes.

Disappointing
    • No lean - seeing as how one round can kill you, and there's no revives, it'd be really really nice to be able to look around that corner as you're clearing a town/building/bunker.
    • While driving a vehicle, there's no freelook [that I saw].... no way to turn your head. This was really annoying when trying to back-up in the jeep.
    • The menu - I'd have liked to seen it done a little differently. It's fairly complex at first, and somethings work a little differntly than expected. It's not a huge problem or anything - just a little wonky.
    • Unimpressed with codec used for VOIP - it sounds pretty low bandwidth 10kbit speex maybe? It's also pretty quiet by default - fortunately, there's pretty good granularity in the audio-mix, and you can adjust: Turn game, effects, music, ambient, and voice sounds down to about 30%, boost "headset" and "microphone" up to 100% volume.

The Good
    • Most engagements happen at fairly long distances. This means that positioning, maneuvering, leveraging terrain, and good forethought are very important. It is DEFINITELY tactical.
    • Separate text-chat channels for All, Team, Fire Team, Squad Leaders, & Fire Team Leaders
    • FTL's can set a series of connected waypoints on the map (shift-click, select-move)
    • The sound is unbelievable. They nailed the weapons and the ambient sounds are spot-on. What was really amazing was when we first went inside a house and shot out a window. The sound of everything inside the house was perfectly accurate - really muffled and close in sounding.. even the boots on the wood floor sounded incredibly life-like
    • The smoke... you've probably seen screen-caps and youtube clips, but seriously... it's just unbelievable... the dust kicked up by a jeep, smoke-nades, smoldering remains of vehicles/buildings... it's all the best I've seen in a game.
    • The lighting system... it reminds me a lot of ArmA's - you're virtual pupils dilate depending on where you're looking, etc.
    • Depth of field - when you iron sight a weapon, the screen focuses on what you're looking at and everything else fades to a subtle blur - it's really well done IMO.
    • The AI is actually pretty good. Of course they do some silly things that real players wouldn't do, but all in all, they're better than expected. They're pretty aggressive (at least in HC mode)... they suppress.. they flank... We got taken out from the sides or behind at least three times.
    • Built-in Friends-List - once you create an 'online profile', you can add people to the list and send invites.
    • Optimized Graphics - it looked good and ran smoother than expected. I was running at 1680x1050, mostly high settings and 2x MSAA... I didn't have a counter up, but I bet I was in the 35-40fps range... this is on a dual-core AMD @ 3GHz, 4850(1GB), 4GB RAM.
    • Did I mention the sound?
    • Calling in a fire-mission for artillery is... yeah.. it's reeeeeally satisfying.

Summary
    I'm very glad I bought it - well worth the 40 bucks to me. Of course this is based solely on making it half-way through the first coop mission, but...

Everyone want's to know "what it's like". Well, I guess you could say that it's a little like ArmA meets PR.. but without some of the less desirable parts. I'm sure I'll find more warts on it as I play more, but first impression is that it's very well polished and much more "accessible". It's got that same ArmA feel, in that you're in an open world, and can die real fast... BUT, it's different in that you don't have to burn so much time doing mission prep, weapon selection, and transport to the front. You can get home from work, jump on and be running a suppress/flank maneuver without too much hassle.

Re: Was just reading my first-impressions of OFP: Dragon Rising

hehe do you have a more in depth review of that game now that its been out a year?

Comment

Mine involves never buying a codemasters shooter again.

Looking at the box here in my hand that says dedicated server support was the straw that broke the camels back for me.
      doYouEvenLuftwaffe

Comment

Originally posted by Portable.Cougar View Post
        Same. Also never preordering ever again... not even if I get an exclusive in-game beret.

Comment

Originally posted by Portable.Cougar View Post

Looking at the box here in my hand that says dedicated server support was the straw that broke the camels back for me.
          Same for me. Hopefully PR ArmA will be what we hoped OFP:DR would be. :)
          |TG-Irr| westyfield

Sig pic by Sonic, avatar by Chalcas. Thanks!
          Irregular since 2007.

Comment

Hmmm leaning and free look should be integrated. Hope they will do that!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
            X