A Few Questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Few Questions

I have a few questions about the mod. I admit I don't visit the PR forums very often so if some of he answers have already been posted over there and I missed them I apologize.

1. Will PR:A2 allow users to creat custom missions with thier content for online play? For example say I wanted truck with anti-RPG cage in a coop mission I was making.

2. If we are allowed to create custom missions how will Tg support them. If I make a mission that follows the traditional PR AAS game play could it be played on the TG server?

3. If we can make missions how much control will we have over content? For example could I use the PR mission framework but opt out of using their kits and substitute my own in?

4. This kind of relates to my previous question, but are many features enabled through modules like ace does with many of its features. For example in ACE I can use a different medical system by simply not including the ACE medic module in my mission.

5. Will the TG server allow client side mods such as effect and sound mods?

6. Will the TG server run any custom mods like ACRE?

I hope you can answer most of them without breaking your NDA. I'm sure I think of more over the next few days and I'll post them in this thread aswell.

Re: A Few Questions

GREAT thread Tralic. It would be good for people to post their questions in here, and the testers can give their best answers. Also, bear in mind that due to the close relationship TG has had with PR for many years, a lot of PR Devs are members here, and read these forums. Maybe they will be able to post too.....;)

Before I get to these specific questions, please do look at the front page article linked HERE (PR ArmA Full Feature round-up to date) for a large post featuring ALL the PR ArmA highlight reels, excluding the "Mini-Updates".

I will answer what I can, maybe some of the other testers will fill in any blanks, NDA permitting.

1. Will PR:A2 allow users to creat custom missions with thier content for online play? For example say I wanted truck with anti-RPG cage in a coop mission I was making.
    Short answer, no. You will be able to make missions for PR, but no PR content will be able to be used outside of the mod. This created some interesting debate from some hardline ArmA nuts on the BIS forums, but the logic is sound. Firstly it is their mod, they can do with it as they please. Secondly, I will quote [R-DEV] UK_Force:

Official Statement

Project Reality over the last few months have been in discussions with BI, and a joint agreement has been made, that gives Project Reality Exclusive rights for the use of the Original BAF Files within its Modification. I have personally signed this agreement with Maruk, and ensured all my Developers who need access to these files have signed a Project Reality Agreement. Therefore we now have the original BAF Files, to allow us to rework the Models, updating as required, and adding further detail to what is already a great DLC.

Project Reality are very proud and grateful for the working relationship they have with BI, and hope that we can ensure to do the game justice in the MP environment in the near future.

This now allows the texture artists greater freedom, and professionalism to enhance the Models even further, and the whole team to concentrate on the gameplay.

What does it mean to the Community?

1. No change at all, PR: ArmA2 will be a free to download Modification, which will still NOT require BAF to run.
    2. The community get a highly detailed British Faction available to use, and will be our base standard for a whole PR British Faction, to include future UOR vehicles.
    3. It allows optimized models for our MP - to ensure we keep poor server performance down to a minimum, and ensure smooth online play.
    3. The PR Models however will NOT be available to rework in other Community add-ons in any way at all, as they will be electronically watermarked (Traceable) and have hidden PR Layers - as per the agreement with BI. (PR EULA, will clearly state this).
    This is a very huge event, BIS have never in their history done this sort of cooperation, so it shows just how much THEY are interested in PR.....;) Plus, as stated, everything is traceable, watermarked, encrypted and locked, as it should be for simplicity.

2. If we are allowed to create custom missions how will Tg support them. If I make a mission that follows the traditional PR AAS game play could it be played on the TG server?
    As above. You WILL be able to make PR missions for use with PR, but no external content will be able to be used.

3. If we can make missions how much control will we have over content? For example could I use the PR mission framework but opt out of using their kits and substitute my own in?
    As per answer 1, no.

4. This kind of relates to my previous question, but are many features enabled through modules like ace does with many of its features. For example in ACE I can use a different medical system by simply not including the ACE medic module in my mission.
    Most of the more complicated features are modules, and as such are not stand alone. Either it is all PR, or none.

5. Will the TG server allow client side mods such as effect and sound mods?
    No, this is a locked down feature inside of PR. As stated above, it is all or nothing, and tbh I don't think that TG or any smart server would want to have a lot of openness with mods, it muddys the water, creates unfair advantages etc.

6. Will the TG server run any custom mods like ACRE?
    No, as stated it could be used for unfair advantage. PR is a 100% self sufficient mod. It has all that is needed, and will of course be improved with every release much like PR BF2. Regards comms.....watch this space....some very fun stuff happening around that area.

So, there you go. The main thing to take away from this is that while this is the ArmA engine, a lot of tinkering has went on under the hood. As such, the mod will be locked down to prevent game play being changed on a server to server basis. PR's goal is for people to download 1 single file. Then install, hit the short cut, and pick a server. ALL PR servers will be the same, no additional content needed, so ANY player can simply choose a server and be straight in. They will have the exact same gameplay on one server as the next, the only defining factors are the PEOPLE on the server, and how THEY influence gameplay in game. Much like PR BF2. For ArmA regulars that concept may need a little alien, as the beauty of vanilla ArmA is it's mod-ability and customisation. But PR's goal is to create THE PvP environment on the ArmA engine. Lots of mods exist for Coop, and while PR appreciates all the work that has went into them (many of the PR Devs used to work on some of the big projects, the DEV list is a veritable who's who of ArmA talent) they have no interest in Coop. The traces of vanilla ArmA still exist. Huge view distances, beautiful models, but the game is most certainly PR, it just happens to be using the ArmA engine this time as opposed to the BF2 engine. I hope all that makes sense, please feel free to post your feedback/questions etc.

Comment

I have a rather simple question that I hope is not prohibited by NDA...

Are the round times for PR:ArmA going to be similar to that of PR:BF2?

Comment

Short answer is potentially, yes. It all depends on the people and their competence. In BF2 PR a round could last from 15 minutes to 2.5 hours. Same here, it all depends on the competence of the opposition.

Comment

I take it the 'no mods' also encompasses other Islands? For example, I couldn't take PR and bring it to Lingor?

In that vein if it's a no, is it ok to use default BIS islands instead? Or do we need to use Afghan Village?

Comment

1. Does PRA2 use any sort of Base AI? I remember talk of some AI ambient models or something.

2. Are there any objective based scenerios? Or is it all AAS/Ins/AAD?

3. Player count? Is it limited by PR at 50v50?

4. Does PRA2 use the in-game VON? (I think it's absolute crap, worse than BF2)

5. Sunday?

Comment

For the islands I don't think that had been a focal point yet in the development but I can make the educated guess that whatever comes with the mod and the base game will be used. For add-on islands I am not sure however it has been said that that mission makers will be allowed to make missions using the PR guidelines. Whether that means add-on islands is still unknown at this point in time.

@Fox:
              1. No. This is a TvT centered mod. So having to fight any AI would defeat that purpose.
              2. It all depends on how skilled the mission makers are. There will be guidelines for them to follow that are within the PR framework that will have to be followed ie TvT aspect and not Coop vs AI.
              3. I don't know what I can say due to NDA but 50v50 is a good number to start with. As things progress you will see changes in overall gameplay but for .1 it will be somewhat confined to work out the bugs and iron out kinks.
              4. Yes.
              5. Sunday is typically a day of rest and religious services. Also a sacred day if football ;)

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

Well I could imagine that we can put in AI for civilians and shooting them would seriously lower your team points. Could be a good way to avoid spam bombing/shelling and a realistic scenario for Insurgents to use civies as 'shields'.

It would be something like if the Insurgents are not combat ready (lowered weapon for example) than the civies will stay around, once a certain number of Insurgents raise there weapons or start firing then they will move out of the way.

I'm seriously looking into map making myself, if I can find the time.

Comment

Will there be an SM script in place for the PRA2 server?

Comment

What will the view distance be?

Is PR running additional anti-hack software or just battle eye?

Comment

Max view distance is 3k.

Comment

There will not be an SM kick script. There could potentially be one in the future, but there is no guarantee about that.

In relation to anti-hack software, signature verifications will be on as well as a special PR.exe that cannot be modified.
                        |TG-73rd|Socomseal
                        |TG-73rd Member| Former TG Irregular ArmA Platoon Leader| Former TG ArmA Admin XO| TG Pathfinder - Spartan 1 |TGU ArmA Instructor |Former TG-18th Member| |Former TG-1st Member|

"Its easy to argue about issues from afar. But until you have experienced the issue first hand, you have not seen all the facts."

Carver you will be cut off for a long time before reinforcements can reach you "I am the reinforcements the main force is only coming to bring me body bags and to clean up the mess Im about to make" - General Carver

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X