Communication in PR:ArmA

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Communication in PR:ArmA

Ive read that an ACRE type system may be in place in PR:ArmA, but how about the built in comms? Will they be disabled? There's nothing I hate more than a server utilizing ACRE while people are using side chat, totally ruining immersion.

It's a shame that an awesome built in comms system like Arma's is ruined by people constantly spamming side chat to talk to the guy next to them instead of direct chat, etc.

Re: Communication in PR:ArmA

Aborted Man, I like to assure you that your question is not being ignored. Temporarily skirted, perhaps ;) What can be said has been I believe. Keep a close eye out my friend and you may find the answers you've been looking for. Lets just say i think there's a few with tongues in a bit of a pickle jar or something like that.

Good points as well. Thx.
    |TG-189th| Unkl
    ArmA 3 Game Officer
    Dean of Tactical Gamer University
    189th Infantry Brigade Member
    SUBMIT A RIBBON NOMINATION OR CONTACT AN ARMA ADMIN
    "We quickly advance in the opposite direction and take cover in a house on the SW side of town." - BadStache

Comment

I actually prefer default VOIP over ACRE. I think it works just fine.

Comment

It works. But it doesn't provide the cool presentational things and even the effects of range/terrain.

Comment

Originally posted by UnDeaD View Post
          It works but with a certain downfall. Mainly being, if certain amount of players are on the server the VOIP starts to fail.
          This is coming from an ARMA2 experience. Can't say what PR:ARMA will be like. Just to throw it out there.

TGU Instructor TG Pathfinder

Former TGU Dean Former ARMA Admin Former Irregulars Officer

"Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment." - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

Originally posted by UnDeaD View Post
            Let me correct some things here:

VON is latency based. It is well documented (see Arma 2 CIT) that VON breaks when users have high ping relative to the server and other players. A feature of the poor coding on BIS's part is that a if you have lets say 10 users playing in the UK and 10 in the US on the same server (picking numbers out of my butt), then at least 25% of them will not be able to hear each other over VON (Direct, Side, Group, you name it). I hope that the PR devs get their proprietary system in place soon or else there will most likely be hell to pay. There is a reason most Arma 2 communities use ACRE.

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. " - Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by ACOGRecon View Post
              Let me correct some things here:

... I hope that the PR devs get their proprietary system in place soon or else there will most likely be hell to pay. There is a reason most Arma 2 communities use ACRE.

BETA.... THE RELEASE IS BETA.

Trying to jam everything into one release is kinda stupid. Sacrifices had to be made, and if this is one of them for the short term, then so be it.... Thanks for coming around though and informing us of the fragility of the the VON system, im sure TG will figure something out with the DEVs from PR.

"TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population....Tactical Gamer is not mainstream. We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers" ~ Apophis

Comment

Not commenting on the Beta status, Jack.

There is a solution which we had in the TS2 days. Channel Commander. It's just it doesn't work on TG's TS3 server last time I checked (please correct me if I am wrong). I know the feature works, I've used it on multiple other communities to great effect, and not just for Arma.

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. " - Albert Einstein

Comment

Seems PR's using von for the time being. I hereby request that we use mumble as to avoid the horrible quality of ingame arma von.

Comment

I’m happy enough with VON. The real ArmA milsim folks are not happy with VON, dial menus, the kits, spawning options and other things. I’m sure down the road some option other than VON, possibly mumbles, will emerge. I would hope and am pretty confident the TG administration of PR:ArmA will mirror that of PR:BF2 and bring to TG the same outstanding high regards the PR community has for PR:BF2 here at TG. At 10PM eastern we have 62 people on the PR server and only 4 on the ArmA server that enforces the use of Acre…I’d say that speaks for itself.

Comment

Zap, the ArmA servers have more players than that usually. Most nights the ArmA server has between 10-30 players on. However, there are some things to take account of. #1, the entire ArmA community as a whole is much smaller than the PR BF2 community, thus fewer players will ever be on at one time. #2, right now, school has started for many of our players which further diminishes the playerbase. #3, ArmA is a niche game, it does not attract many people, ArmA is not a game for everyone. Perhaps you don't like milsim and not many do, but those that do are some of the most devoted players I have ever seen at TG. #4, not all of ArmA is milsim, TG does host a vanilla server that does not require the use of ACRE and yet that remains unpopulated. Moreover, you have made a broad generalization of ArmA players. You have generalized the typical ArmA player as being milsim only and that they do not enjoy faster paced respawn tactical gameplay, which is simply a false statement.

Perhaps you should check your facts before posting.
                      |TG-73rd|Socomseal
                      |TG-73rd Member| Former TG Irregular ArmA Platoon Leader| Former TG ArmA Admin XO| TG Pathfinder - Spartan 1 |TGU ArmA Instructor |Former TG-18th Member| |Former TG-1st Member|

"Its easy to argue about issues from afar. But until you have experienced the issue first hand, you have not seen all the facts."

Carver you will be cut off for a long time before reinforcements can reach you "I am the reinforcements the main force is only coming to bring me body bags and to clean up the mess Im about to make" - General Carver

Comment

I shudder at the fact that PRA2 will be using in game VON for its release. I know its just for the time being and they are probably focusing on a more realistic approach to communication, but until then, I foresee all players using side chat to communicate with a droning background of a handful of other players constantly announcing that side chat is to be clear...it's going to be a mess.

I may just be being overly pessimistic, but I call it being realistic.

Don't get me wrong, I love BI's effort to implement a structured VON system, and it certainly is possible to create an engrossing, realistic communications environment with the vanilla VON system, but that's up to the players...the players that sometimes lack the discipline to NOT switch over to global/side chat to report their stranded position, dire situation, easy fix to a disaster, etc (enabling them the easy way out and not fighting their way to a safe zone, or creating suspenseful/thrilling/tense moments of movements under cover) instead of relaying messages on foot via runner (which, I think, is uber fun and opens up another role and enriches the milsim aspect of the game) or using squad leaders to relay messages.

Either way, I can't wait for PRA2 and I'm optimistic that it will provide amazing gameplay as a whole.

Comment

Good post aborted, believe me the admin team are well aware of possible spam problems, deliberate spam will be dealt with as with any other TG title. As for general messages and command related communications I would highly recommend that players keep to the coms usage outlined in the PR comms tutorial. ie keep all the planning in the command channel, squad level comms in group channel and use side very sparingly.

Comment

Originally posted by ZAP44 View Post
                            I’m happy enough with VON. The real ArmA milsim folks are not happy with VON, dial menus, the kits, spawning options and other things. I’m sure down the road some option other than VON, possibly mumbles, will emerge. I would hope and am pretty confident the TG administration of PR:ArmA will mirror that of PR:BF2 and bring to TG the same outstanding high regards the PR community has for PR:BF2 here at TG. At 10PM eastern we have 62 people on the PR server and only 4 on the ArmA server that enforces the use of Acre…I’d say that speaks for itself.
                            And the Arma server that does not enforce ACRE usually have 0 players on it. Your point is invalid.

Also, I enjoy arma, and I dont mind the radial menus, the kits or the spawning. I just dislike VON, because its fiddly and the quality is much worse than TS or mumble. With Acre you have 2 buttons to speak and thats it. In VON you have to cycle through a million different channels to find the right one, and when you finally find it, its probably too late to say what you needed to say in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by Feriluce View Post
                              And the Arma server that does not enforce ACRE usually have 0 players on it. Your point is invalid.

Also, I enjoy arma, and I dont mind the radial menus, the kits or the spawning. I just dislike VON, because its fiddly and the quality is much worse than TS or mumble. With Acre you have 2 buttons to speak and thats it. In VON you have to cycle through a million different channels to find the right one, and when you finally find it, its probably too late to say what you needed to say in the first place.
                              That is why binding key to different channel is the solution to the cycling. Acre cycles too. But between two radios if you are a SL... You still have to cycle.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X