Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PC Specs and what I may need to upgrade?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC Specs and what I may need to upgrade?

So I have played some terribly boring rounds on arma2 on CTI etc. However I feel my frames are still too low for competitive play.

I avg about 32 fps.

If I put my settings on highest with view distance at 4km I get about 22 fps on avg.

If I have everything on lowest with ~1km view distance I get about 32 fps.

The difference in appearance between these two settings is enormous. I don't understand why its such a small difference in frames.

PC Specs:

Windows7 64
    i7 920 CPU @ 2.67 GHz
    6 GB RAM
    NVIDIA GTX 260

I'm thinking of getting an SSD drive as I have heard it really helps in arma2 and (but mostly likely OR) possibly a new graphics card.

What do you think?

Thanks
    Luda

Re: PC Specs and what I may need to upgrade?

Hi Luda, glad to hear you are thinking of joining us. I will get you a more detailed reply later but initially yes SSD will help hugely. Arma loads from the disk all the time and an SSD smooth out that process so you don't get huge fps drops as the textures load. Your frame rates will be more consistent.

Things to try. GFX settings.

Turn off Vsync
    Turn down AA
    Turn down post processing
    Alternately decrease and increase shadow detail. Things like shade detail when increased can shift load onto the GPU and away from the CPU. This is good as Arma is CPU intensive.

Try these and also post your usual settings (advanced). I can run you through some other tweak but its often just trial and error. 35-40 is quite playable for tvt as long as its consistent. This isn't COD as you know. Preparedness and forethought beat fps every time, that's what makes it what it is. You can't bunny hop out of a poor decision in PR Arma (not implying you would lol). We'll get you fixed up.

Comment

To make you feel better I'm playing on low / med with 30FPS and have been perfectly competitive during testing, as wicks said FPS really isn't as big of an issue as it is in other games.

Comment

Ok thanks.

I forgot to ask if I should OC my CPU. (I did look into it before but my stock cooler was not sufficient enough for any significant increase in performance.)

This would mean getting a new CPU cooler; which I would be prepared to do.

Comment

If you can yes.

Comment

I don't have an SSD, but I do have a WD Black 1TB SATA-III drive on a SATA-III controller. Anyone have experience with this kind of setup and whether it will work ok?

As far as the rest of the machine.

ASUS Rampage III Extreme
            2 x ATI 5870 in crossfire
            Intel I7 980X @ 3.33 GHz

Any idea how well this will play ArmA2?

Comment

Quite well I should imagine, dependent on resolution and settings (as they are tweakable).

Comment

I'm not expert but I've been playing ARMA at TG since ARMA I days in 2006. I've got a lot of trail and error behind me. The good news is the game as it stands now is about 1000% more optimized than when it first came out. I mean we're talking about random crashes and BSOD's that really no one was immune to. Today I can't remember the last time my ARMA crashed in game. I know that wont assuage your anxiety over low FPS rates but...

My rig is

I7 960 @ 3.75
                GTX280
                6GBS RAM @ 1066
                OCZ Vertex 2 SSD

ARMA is definitely more CPU intensive than GPU Intensive. I've seen it written and my experience is that a CPU at or over 3.0 is a factor for better performance.

The type of mission makes a huge impact on FPS. If the mission contains alot of AI (think jets, other infantry, enemies etc etc...) than that will really slow you down as the CPU executes all that code. Many if not most of the MP missions are much much better optimized than a single player mission which may contain lots of peripheral action. Missions like Domination and Insurgency now run smooth like butter for most players becuase they've been refined and optimised for a number of years now. New mission makers might put a lot of extraneous action in but most of the veteran mission makers keep the action focused only on what is needed for an effective mission.

Unless you are a pilot-there is really no need for view distance greater than 1 - 1.5 K. This helps FPS alot. If you stick with an infantry role and are fighting on the ground keep adjust the view distance accordingly. Even pilots can make do with 1K. The additional distance, while pretty, is not too terribly necessary...except maybe for jet pilots.

SSD's are a must upgrade. While they won't increase your FPS too terribly much they will facilitate better performance all around. Back in the day the big issue was objects flickering in the near and far distance. It was just something you had to live with. The many many patches have addressed this somehwat but for me this was totally eliminated by going to an SSD.

The settings are weird. It's an old ARMA saw that doesn't make sense but boosting your shadow settings to the max actually increases FPS for many people.

AA settings impact FPS alot. Try getting used to a low or nil AA setting.

Hope this helps...but I'd say...give the Domination mission a try then try fooling with your settings while in game. You might be pleasantly suprised. Lots of people don't like Domination but with the right group and good leadership it can be a very rewarding mission.

Good luck...see you in game.
                sigpic
                |TG-1st|Grunt
                ARMA Admin (retired)
                Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Originally posted by Grunt 70 View Post
                  The settings are weird. It's an old ARMA saw that doesn't make sense but boosting your shadow settings to the max actually increases FPS for many people.
                  really?! Interesting, I'll have to give that a try!

Comment

Originally posted by draeh View Post
                    As far as the rest of the machine.

ASUS Rampage III Extreme
                    2 x ATI 5870 in crossfire
                    Intel I7 980X @ 3.33 GHz

Any idea how well this will play ArmA2?
                    Well enough to annoy your OPFORs.

Sorry I could not have been more informative but other Admins have said it all.

TGU Instructor TG Pathfinder

Former TGU Dean Former ARMA Admin Former Irregulars Officer

"Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment." - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

Good post all, maybe a Proven Tweak Guide Sticky is looking to be created.

Comment

Yup, on it now.

Comment

A couple tips:
                          1. Turn off in game AA and Vsync if you have an ATI card. They were causing me graphical bugs and the arma AA will murder your performance. The graphical bugs don't seem to happen for everyone but I'd still recommend you avoid the in game AA as much as you can.

2. Also some bushes and trees on chernarus(the orange and yellow ones mostly) are known to cause big lag if you stand next to them for some people, their are some client side mods that will remove the highest level of detail of these trees and bushes and greatly improve performance, alternatively you can put your textures on lowest but then everything looks ugly not just these bushes. Link: http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id...ghlight=PROPER

3. If you need all round performance increase there are some mods designed to make the game look really ugly but still run significantly better, I've never used them so I can't suggest one or the other, but here is the most downloaded one on armaholic. http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id...ight=LOW%2BFPS

4. View distance is set by the mission in multiplayer, most missions are set between 2k to up to 5k depending on what units are present, generally aircraft missions have the longest view distance, while infantry only really need around 2k.

5. No idea if this still happens but for years nvidia driver crashed all the time in arma, and occasionally in arma 2. I switched to ATI specifically to avoid this so you would have to ask someone else if it still happens afaik there was no fix luckily it was alot less common in arma2 and only happened about once a week for my 9800 when I had it.

6. Your frames are going to vary alot depending on the map, for example the tiny city in Zargabad will drastically lower my frames, while fallujah which covers the entire map runs silky smooth even at long distances.

The mods cant be used with the PR mod but could help out for people who want to play single player and all the other tips should apply to PR.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                          X