Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VON Help

Need a bit of help...

Regardless of which channel I'd switch to, I'd seem to always be able to hear lots of people in my squad, at around the same level.
    Directional audio broadly worked but was very imprecise.
    I found it very difficult to work out who was talking unless I was staring them in the face and could see their mouth animations going.

Is this just the way things are without ACRE?

There didnt seem to be a concept of sound fading to silence as people moved away from you - I was able to hear people clearly even when they were quite far away.

Combined with not being able to keep player names on screen, I found it pretty difficult to work out who was who.
    This was only made worse by the fact that we were moving at two fireteams within a squad, and I had a slightly laggy connection, so things were sometimes jumping around, and Id end up with the wrong fireteam altogether.

Thoughts on the VON? Do I need to configure anything or is this just the way it is?

Re: VON Help

To make a long story short, VON sucks. Unfortunately this appears to indeed be life without ACRE.

Comment

Originally posted by Subsy View Post
      Combined with not being able to keep player names on screen, I found it pretty difficult to work out who was who.
      This was only made worse by the fact that we were moving at two fireteams within a squad, and I had a slightly laggy connection, so things were sometimes jumping around, and Id end up with the wrong fireteam altogether.
      To add to what Yrkidding has said. The radar, when color coded, will be your best friend when moving as a team/fire team.

Comment

Originally posted by Yrkidding View Post
        To make a long story short, VON sucks. Unfortunately this appears to indeed be life without ACRE.
        How does this help or answer the question in anyway. Really if you have nothing positive to contribute then perhaps reconsider posting.

As regards VON. It's not ideal, however it is the tool we have at the moment. ACRE is useful but it's not actually a game, people seem to forget that. This reminds me of the MUMBLE debate in PR:BF. People more interested in the method of communication than the message or the actual game itself, and look what a bundle of maturity MUMBLE is at times.

The PR Team are working on various things and I am sure we will see development in the future. In the meantime we have TS for inter squad communication and group VON and direct for intra squad comms. If it get's noisy ask your squad to ID themselves when transmitting, takes an extra second but really helps.

Comment

Hey Wicks - yep i think proper use of ID on comms is going to be necessary.

But I just wanted to check if I have some config incorrect?

Is it expected that voices are equally loud whether the player is 2 ft or 50 metres away from you?

Comment

Hey Wicks - yep i think proper use of ID on comms is going to be necessary.

But I just wanted to check if I have some config incorrect?

Is it expected that voices are equally loud whether the player is 2 ft or 50 metres away from you?
            Yes, VON does not differentiate distance.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

TGU Instructor TG Pathfinder

Former TGU Dean Former ARMA Admin Former Irregulars Officer

"Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment." - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

Cheers LS.....Damn, guess I've been spoilt with ACRE! Look forward to the hinted developments in this area :)

Comment

Cheers LS.....Damn, guess I've been spoilt with ACRE! Look forward to the hinted developments in this area :)
                Perhaps this thread may help bring change. http://www.realitymod.com/forum/f440...nications.html

Comment

New pet peeve: People loudly speaking surly russian on side chat.

Comment

No problem. As mentioned by all here that anticipated & played PR:ARMA. We had an idea that may or may not 'cause issues.
                    But as ZAPP44 kindly pointed out. Submit Tickets to get the top bacons to do something about it.

Also if people actually read the brief PR:ARMA Manual. It states which channels to use during gameplay. That should be coached to the new players by the regulars and the veterans of the game alike.

Also, as a side note.
                    Teaching players some simple radio procedures wouldn't go amiss either.

TGU Instructor TG Pathfinder

Former TGU Dean Former ARMA Admin Former Irregulars Officer

"Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment." - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

Agreed....

Comment

Couple of pointers about the workings of VON. These are my own setup and works for me alright.

Make sure have a separate button for Direct Channel. This would help you in direct and group without having to mess with channel changing. Also try to identify yourself when needed in direct.
                        Direct Channel comes through Effects part of audio. So Effects (gunshot sounds) should be up in order to hear other people's direct comms.
                        Unlike TS, transmission does not start as soon as you press the button, but rather there is a delay. SL's having trouble should repeat their important order twice. That way if some words are missing, they can catch it second repeat. This makes me sound like a nervous wreck, but VON usually works fine for me.

VON garbles up when your recipients are in great number. In between games when people talk that transmission is being sent to everybody on the server and some cannot hear. So in between games, just type. Also this is one of reasons to avoid Side channel and Global channel. Group and Direct works better since the recipients of that message is limited.

Happy gaming

Comment

Good points B. As per the TG PR ArmA SOP's, no one but admins should be using Side or global channel. All the SL's and CO need are in the command channel. If this happens and they persist, please report them.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                          X