Looking for new guy advice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for new guy advice

Hey Everyone..been years since I've been on the TG site. Glad to see the place is still hopping.

I gave PR ARMA a shot last night. It was ...interesting?

The server was pretty full...night mission. Blueop for was a mix of clueless and not clueless. I apologize for sort of standing around just looking. I was a bit confused and all of the yelling on the channels was making things much more confusing. I guess the com situation is a mess with people using the side channel for general chat and any time anyone asked nicely it turned into a shouting match to shut up.

I spent 4 hours getting killed 3 times.... I finally started to figure out how to get rides to the battle zones..my squad leaders were useless but that was ok..I really was just in there to get a sense of what was going on. There were moments of wow! and many moments of wtf.

I know this is new and I would love to keep giving it a try but the hardest part for me was knowing where the other guys were. I *think* I saw them once. Then I was killed..Not sure if it was FF or not. No idea how they shot me through a wall and the only people behind me were teammates. hehe

So...How the hell do you find them? Are tracer rounds color specific to a team? Using NVG's helped but when going to site no more NV how the heck to do you shoot people?

I'm still a bit confused on what channel I should be talking on. Do you have to press the ctrl key to activate the mic? I was a bit shy and last thing I needed was someone yelling at me to shut up so I didn't bother trying. I started reading the guide but it doesn't really say what you should be using to talk to your squad only.

I'll keep reading the guide and try to get a handle on the basics , anyone willing to do some hand holding let me know. I am usually available evenings EST to play. I haven't really been playing any PC FPS's (except l4d) so I am REALLY rusty.

:)

Thanks all
    |TG|Tony

Re: Looking for new guy advice

Alright a new guy... Drop and give me... never mind

1. So one thing to keep with your squad is Squad HUD. It can be activated by Interaction Key -> Tactical -> Squad HUD... You will have a circle with only your squad mate's relative location to you. You can mess with settings to make it bigger, and see farther.

2. In the main base there is a flag of your side. Go to it and select Base Deployment (Interaction Key). If you team has set up Forward Outposts (FOs) you can spawn on them. If you squad leader set up a Squad Rally Point you can also spawn on that as well. Just look through the map and see where the green guys on the map are and choose that location. You will be teleported to that location, deploying you to closer to the action and may be your SL. You should always try to regroup with SL.. This will ensure a feeling of working together and teamwork. Your SL will feel powerful as he have more guns next to him as well...

3. Recognizing enemy from foe is harder in PR2:Arma. Time will tell if you can subtly tell one from another. Have a binocular or range finder with you. Usually SL confirms enemies with his long range binocs.

4. One standard way to identify direction is compass. 360 degrees around you is marked on the compass. Many players on TG uses those numbers with keyword "bearing". "Bearing 255 enemy infantry". "Movement direction 150" etc ... etc... Compass should be mapped to a key easily reachable.

5. Group channel (Green channel) is your friend when you are a Squad mate. This green channel will allow you to talk to your squad only. Direct channel (White channel) is used to communicate with anybody near you. Depending on distance from squad leader, this should be primary mode of communication for grunts. To change channels use the default keys : "." ",". Once in correct channel you can transmit via CapsLock (default key)... You can map these channel individually which most SL s do to avoid fiddling with channel switch keys.

6. Not a lot of people follow this, but once in a squad, say brief hello and ask for a kit assignment. This should get you a response from SL about where they are, how best to get to them and what you should bring in to the battlefield. SLs might even dispatch a soldier to pick you up.

7. Arma and PR is a complicated game with steep learning curve. TG is full of patient, understanding SLs and squad members who will go out of their way to get a new guy caught up. All you have to do is let them know you are new.

Well that is all I can think of right now. Many more will add to this. Glad you found the right place to explore this great game mode. See you in my cross-hair.
    Last edited by hedgehog; 09-24-2011, 07:29 PM.

Comment

Re: Looking for new guy advice

Originally posted by BigTony View Post
      So...How the hell do you find them? Are tracer rounds color specific to a team? Using NVG's helped but when going to site no more NV how the heck to do you shoot people?
      You brought the wrong kind of gun. At night you need to bring NV compatibile optics... normally this means no optics and just a holographic sight.

I'm still a bit confused on what channel I should be talking on. Do you have to press the ctrl key to activate the mic? I was a bit shy and last thing I needed was someone yelling at me to shut up so I didn't bother trying. I started reading the guide but it doesn't really say what you should be using to talk to your squad only.
      Direct- Local Comms
      Group- Squad Comms
      Vehicle- Vehicle Comms

I'll keep reading the guide and try to get a handle on the basics , anyone willing to do some hand holding let me know. I am usually available evenings EST to play. I haven't really been playing any PC FPS's (except l4d) so I am REALLY rusty.

:)

Thanks all
      I'm certainly available for hand holding and I'm normally around EST evenings. Just hop onto the TG teamspeak and look for me there in the PR-ArmA channel. This game is very very big and nine times out of ten bad squad leaders means a painful round.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
      X