ARMA II compatible computer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ARMA II compatible computer

I've been saving up my shekels and have 1100-1400 US to build my ultimate gaming rig.
    Now that the money is in hand the task seems far more daunting then when it was just a dream.
    I am working from this site http://www.hardware-revolution.com/m...c-august-2011/ but any advice or links would be greatly appreciated.
    You have to be trusted by the people that you lie to,
    So that when they turn their backs on you,
    You'll get the chance to put the knife in.Pink Floyd "Dogs"

Re: ARMA II compatible computer

C'mon, this should be fun! My advice is to figure out all the parts you need, have some idea of what specs you'll want, then go to newegg.com and start making Wish Lists.
    |TG-6th|Belhade
    "I am actually looking forward to watching Jon and Kate plus 8." - Dirtboy

Comment

Tomshardware.com is also a great site if you're looking to piece together your own rig. They continually update a cheap, midgrade, and OMG THATS SO BADASS builds of computers that always gives me a good idea of how I'd like to proceed. Also, they have just about every benchmark chart you'd want.
      Murderous

Comment

I highly recommend www.anandtech.com as a resource for you as well. You can post your newegg list there and get feedback and advice on your build.

It is fun, and waaayyy easier than it was 5-10 years ago. Good luck.

Comment

Thank You, I will check out the additional sites.

Comment

SSD, overclocked processor, 2 key things for any Arma rig.

Comment

yes, solid state was on my list even though it is priced above the tier i was looking at and since i simply NEED a water cooling system, an overclocked CPU should be possible.

Comment

Originally posted by CallousDisregard View Post
                yes, solid state was on my list even though it is priced above the tier i was looking at and since i simply NEED a water cooling system, an overclocked CPU should be possible.
                Need or want?

You can get good Stable over clocks on air for half the price
                sigpic

Former Pathfinder
                Former ARMA Admin
                Former ARMA TGU instructor
                Former TGU Headmaster
                Current Noob
                Im also pretty bad at World of Tanks -

Comment

My ignorance is showing. I was under the impression that overclocking required better cooling and water cooling was the best way to do that.
                  Personally I have an inherent fear of running water lines near electronics but it seems to be all the rage and I haven't read about any catastrophic failures.

Comment

Air vs. water is one of those topics that can fire up some pretty heated debates. My view is that the the advantage of water over air is noise rather than performance. Any decent case should have enough spots for at least a half dozen 80mm fans(which can be had for about $2 each), which is way more than you should need even with OCing. Couple that with after market CPU fans and heat sinks and cooling shouldn't be a problem unless you live on the equator with no air conditioning.

My Thermal Take case has 2 fans pulling in from the bottom, 3 pushing out the top, an aftermarket CPU cooler for my OC'd 2500K, 8 gigs of ram with some groovy heat sinks, and two OC'd GTX 460's, and heat isn't even remotely an issue, but the ol' girl can make some noise at times.

Edit: Oh, and don't forget a modular power supply to keep the air restricting bundles of wires to a minimum!
                    Last edited by Harlequin; 10-16-2011, 10:14 AM.

Comment

Well if noise is the only factor I will stay will air cooling and savea buck that I can invest in an IR tracker.

Comment

Originally posted by CallousDisregard View Post
                        Well if noise is the only factor I will stay will air cooling and savea buck that I can invest in an IR tracker.
                        You don't need expensive trackIR you have more cheaper alternatives.

Free track - is free software which working in same way as trackIR and you need to folow simple instruction to create IRclip.

FaceTrackNoIR - is similar software which you can use it without any light source it is recognizing and tracking movement of your face.

For all this you need just web cam and PS3 Eye is best choice because could runs on 150 fps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkgUWNAzoY4

Comment

Cool !
                          That is 100 bucks I can spend on a cool looking case !
                          Thanks

Comment

Function over form there Cal....

http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/Produc...S=1308&ID=1967

Here's my case, I took full advantage of the optional additional fan locations. (and sorry it's 120mm fans not 80mm like I stated before)

I think I paid $45 for it, but $100 will buy you one that's much more cool looking, it just won't be literally any more "cooler".

Comment

I do favor function over form but ....sometimes...
                              http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/Produc...C=1309&ID=2054

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X