Fun games yesterday

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fun games yesterday

Got into game for the first time in too long yesterday afternoon. Got in and joined up with a squad. Immediately kicked. Hmmmm. So I made my own & proceeded to organize a group to defend the cache location. I bagged me a couple baddies & we were getting a good perimeter up & running with very little coms....I think there was only one other person in my squad talking. Then I go for a quick beverage break & come back to some nasty global messages directed at admin (dunno if dude knew I was admin as I wasn't logged in)...I quickly press the "i" key & see what all the fuss was about. We were down to about 7 blufor & 15 opfor or some such unbalance. I called for teams to even not entirely cool with abandoning my squad. 30 secs later & no one has jumped ship yet so I think I just slunk away in shame & joined the other army.

Second try at social acceptance.....there is a squad here that needs a 4th man. They won't kick me hahaha. Jump in & find the dude calling the shots. Ra_NGeR. I start sticking by his side, calling what I see & covering where he is not. Pretty soon we are moving in from a FOB location & getting into a valley that will take us right into the tree line behind the suspected cache location. (no i didn't say nothing to anybody about my previous life)

Pretty soon we have a bunch of people in the squad and Ra_NGeR splits us up into 2 fireteams. I have one & I'm not sure who had the other. I'm pretty noob at this PR still. Never get to play like I want....(whine, moan, workaholic, you know). Anywho, now we got a medic too |TG-IrrP| Pepper is more noob than me so I'm glad she's assigned to my team. One less heckler lol. We are moving up on the cache location & seem to have gotten right into the compound because all of a sudden the rifles are sounding off all around us. We have a 4 man team inside the compound but our overwatch is being engaged from elsewhere & have spread out and are thinning. Ra_NGeR takes a baddie down & gets clipped by another. That's ok, I got him and am getting our SL back in the battle. Nope....not happening...I'm getting perforated like a colander. I can hear the insurgent laughing a smug cold laugh. Time to get my "grrr" on.

We all respawn at FOB1. Start heading down the hill again & move up from the east this time. Now we have some rolling ground & buildings to use as cover. Ra_NGeR is doing a great job of keeping everyone organized and the two teams constantly supporting each others movements. I'm just happy that the folks following me are doing so well at keeping up and staying within direct com range. We are using group voip for between the SL & FTL's. Direct voip for the fireteams & no one has instructed anyone to do so. Beautiful. We are about 200m out from the cache location when a couple guys go down crossing an open field. SL calls for medic and Pepper starts moving toward the wounded. I've got the panic feeling in my pixel gut and order the fireteam to start to cover the medic. Moving to wounded back to the wall of the compound is going to be a long haul but she stops at a large bush. Gonna use the concealment & get some timely care on those injuries. Figure we must have scared them off because we don't come under fire. Keep moving forward. This time we get up on the target compound & have easily cleared out the perimeter defenses as we moved up with bounding overwatch.

Stacked up again on the west wall with the other team again in overwatch...when BAM BAM BAM... what the huh is that? Someone calls it's a friendly. We have some kind of big gun on the ridge and is raining terror down on the cache location. Ra_NGeR yells that its time now to move in. I get that warm fuzzy feeling that the SL is ready to pounce on the advantage...moral = moral + 10.

We move in SWAT style into the compound, I hear the moans of enemy all around. Whats that on the roof...it's not one of our helmets...taking fire & spraying back cuz I have no time to aim. BAM BAM BAM...my whole world is turning black around the edges but in the center I can see the exploding rounds hitting that roof and the pink mist glistening in the sun. I'm not hit that bad but I need help right away. Ra_NGeR stops the bleeding & the rest of the team starts moving in. Without direct orders, everyone is moving as one. Fireteam cohesion has shifted to the squad level as the overwatch team has moved in on the north side. I can hear them reporting on the radio the contacts as they sweep in. My team has already gone in the west door and are covering their sectors quickly & not giving the enemy any breathing room to find an escape. I'm back on my feet and enter that west door to see one of ours walking into a building & start firing like mad. I'm thinking, what the what is an insurgent wearing that takes that many bullets to knock 'em down? Full body armour like a knight? Maybe dude is just mad that some of our own got clipped in the rush. It'll get to ya. But then I get it....the large fireball erupting from the wall of that building can only mean one thing. The cache has been lit up and it's time to turn our attention to the counter attack/retreating baddies.

I couldn't play all day but man that was a great game. Thanks all.
    |TG-189th| Unkl
    ArmA 3 Game Officer
    Dean of Tactical Gamer University
    189th Infantry Brigade Member
    SUBMIT A RIBBON NOMINATION OR CONTACT AN ARMA ADMIN
    "We quickly advance in the opposite direction and take cover in a house on the SW side of town." - BadStache

Re: Fun games yesterday

I distinctly remember running across some sort of courtyard to a building on the other side, watching the guy in front of me getting gunned down and wounded on the floor, barely a foot away from safety, before I got full of bullets too. Managed to make it through the door and up the stairs of the house ahead, before collapsing from blood loss on the landing. Two minutes later, I hear footsteps. It's not one of ours. Turn the camera to see them staring down at me, gun out.

Blam.

Originally posted by Unk View Post
    Direct voip for the fireteams & no one has instructed anyone to do so. Beautiful. We are about 200m out from the cache location when a couple guys go down crossing an open field. SL calls for medic and Pepper starts moving toward the wounded. I've got the panic feeling in my pixel gut and order the fireteam to start to cover the medic. Moving to wounded back to the wall of the compound is going to be a long haul but she stops at a large bush. Gonna use the concealment & get some timely care on those injuries. Figure we must have scared them off because we don't come under fire.
    "Oh god oh god I hate open fields... going to throw in a smoke grenade, really hope they don't just spray into the smoke, that's what I'd do... why can't I even throw it far? Oh god I HATE OPEN FIELDS! Too far to the wall, I'll just use a bush. Please don't shoot me please don't shoot me... and he's up. RUN FOR COVER!"

Pepper

"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." David Hackworth

Comment

Fun games yesterday. I probably was playing before you? I made couple short videos about those games starting with frustration and then the good game.
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsVB7qa79tg
      There is still room for improvement in teamplay but atleast its something

The game before that one
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9xf_..._order&list=UL
      Banging my head to wall because no one listened any advice. Thankfully we got that Warrior squad on our team giving some fire under the ass of the enemy.

Swedge you were great opponent with your team, other names can be seen on those videos.
      -

Comment

I'll start trying to write in-character, short story writeups of stuff.

Pepper

"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." David Hackworth

Comment

Right! Got bored on the train, and started writing up a vague story thing for the failed courtyard charge thing. I'll shove it on my blog - constructive criticism very welcome. As I've never actually been shot or in a real life combat situation, I have no idea whether I'm writing it correctly. So, erm, if anyone actually has, I'd appreciate some input on where I'm going wrong.

Pepper

Comment

Awesome debrief Unk. A pleasure to read mate. Captures all the intensity and emotion. Look forward to more, and to playing with ya.

Great YouTube vids Joku. Will post comments whenever I can.

Athansa aka Pepper, GG about 14 hours ago. Sorry we ultimately had to kick you from the fireteam. Lol. We just had too many cross-communications happening in the critical final minutes. Anyway, it's always great to have new players and especially a girl, apparently, for a change :)

By all means read the PR manual, check out the YouTube tutorials, read my guide maybe, and then please feel free to post any questions you may have:

http://www.realitymod.com/manual/pr_a2_manual.pdf
            http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD3601756F75508F7
            http://www.realitymod.com/forum/f440...ma-2-beta.html

Don't expect to absorb all the info all at once. I've read the manual many times and often refer back to it. Same with the YouTube videos.

From that recent game, my tips for you would be:

1. Do as much of your homework first as you can, so that you know what a capture objective marker etc looks like and what the basic goals are, etc. This also comes with experience. Just keep playing and watching/listening and eventually all of that stuff will become second nature. You will know when other players are trying to setup an FO or an RP, or provide overwatch, and you will just naturally assist without being told to and without needing to say anything.

2. Pick an experienced or good player and 'shadow' them quietly. Stick with them. Help them out. Cover directions they're not covering. Get them up when they go down. Find a 'buddy'. If you keep watching and listening to them, it will help you to pick up PR:Arma 2 a lot quicker.

3. Try to avoid non-essential text messages or voice chat unless it's quiet and you're not in combat. If you're in a five-man fireteam, you maybe shouldn't use more than 1/5 of the communications space :) In ideal world, you wouldn't need to say a single word. But we're not in an ideal world, so limit yourself to saying the most important things in the quickest way possible. When I was playing opposite you, the first time I heard you was when you were telling your fellow Opfor unit that I had shot, "I'm not much use today am I?". After that I narrowed down your location when you began singing to yourself on VON. Lol.
            Loud is dead.

Anyway, as I said, great to have a quirky new character onboard and I look forward to playing with you :)

Squad-Leader, A3 Bomb Disposal FAQ, PR:A2 Strategy Guide, A2 Insurgency Guide
            TacBf: Moderator, Server Admin, Bugtester, Facebook Admin

Comment

-

Comment

Did wonder if I was the only person seeing that bouncing sniper. Good to know I wasn't... I was sitting in the building under him. Staring.

Pepper

Comment

Originally posted by Athanasa View Post
                  Did wonder if I was the only person seeing that bouncing sniper. Good to know I wasn't... I was sitting in the building under him. Staring.
                  No it was all in your head. This video does not exist...
                  -

Comment

Good games yesterday/today. Videos coming later this week.
                    -

Comment

First short one...
                      -

Comment

Even shorter round. One more in the makings.
                        -

Comment

Originally posted by RpSPT View Post

First short one...
                          Shame you didn't get to take that warrior down. Would have been a great Result after much coordination and communication.
                          sigpic

Former Pathfinder
                          Former ARMA Admin
                          Former ARMA TGU instructor
                          Former TGU Headmaster
                          Current Noob
                          Im also pretty bad at World of Tanks -

Comment

Originally posted by bolagnaise View Post
                            Shame you didn't get to take that warrior down. Would have been a great Result after much coordination and communication.
                            Maybe it would have been a good ending for the video. Just normal amount of coordination and communication we always use in this game. Made first part of the next video coming. Have to finish three more and I will upload it as a one film. I have to say about upcoming video that even if I enjoy playing as a "Commander" I usually dont then have time for action so much. Would be more fun to just lead one squad as a coherent unit...
                            -

Comment

So here it comes just in time to watch before event. Leave a comment on how did you like about it on youtube page or here.

Act timings are found on video description so no need to watch in one session.
                              If there is any glitch found on video it will not get changed. Took ~10 Hours to upload this film.
                              -

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X