Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

97 players on TG:PR Arma 2 server today! 97!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [ANNOUNCEMENT] 97 players on TG:PR Arma 2 server today! 97!

This game:
    http://arma2.swec.se/game/data/4414680
    Server ran admirably. Somewhat laggy at first, especially on connecting, but entirely playable.
    Apache was giving us continual grief until Opfor managed to bring Shilka and crew-served AA to bear. First FO network took some beating. Reinforced network gained headway after Apache was down.
    We ended up changing that map because Wormeaten apparently advised that the capture-rate seemed bugged at that time. Was far slower than intended, even for 97 players :) Opfor was declared victors from score. MadRabbit reports 'Best Game Ever', which is quite an accolade from a stalwart regular :)

Subsequent game now has max 76 players at time of writing. Capture-rate not an issue. Enjoyed having a shoot with 3 of the developers.

Saw some awesome teamwork and sportsmanship. Great stuff guys. Can't wait for more!

Would be great if all players could continue to teach new players about the server rules. And to teach each other about how PR works. It helps to keep the game fun for everyone and ensures that you have assets available. Especially the server rule about not using the microphone on Side Channel or Global Channel. Side and Global were running almost as quiet as a mouse for a good 6 hours.

Thank you for your time :)

Squad-Leader, A3 Bomb Disposal FAQ, PR:A2 Strategy Guide, A2 Insurgency Guide
    TacBf: Moderator, Server Admin, Bugtester, Facebook Admin

Re: 97 players on TG:PR Arma 2 server today! 97!

Yeh the bugged capping time was a bummer, i checked how long it took to cap the flag and it would have taken 1 hour to only capture it, that is without securing, which would probably have taken another hour. But anyway, that only happened in that round the other ones we good.

Comment

Outstanding!

I will reiterate the von comments, let's keep Side and Global absolutely clear, cross squad comms can be handled by SL's in the command channel as is proper. There is never a need to use global, ever.

Excellent stuff chaps, hope someone was filming!

Comment

I notice some behaviour on server. It is nothing bad but slowing down learning curves for new players.

People who is now veterans of the PRAA most of the time goes on same side so creating unbalanced situation based on experience. So other side have just frustration what could effect on wrong first impression on game.

Regulars experienced players should be divided equal on both sides and be a squad leaders creating few squads with less players especially with lower numbers of players. In new release squads will be limited so start to adopting on this. Also if we create base for squad with 3 experienced players and rest of new players. This is only proper way to teach new players how to adopt to new game which is more depend on team work and bring it to higher level than it is in BF2PR especially because it is based on human decisions to make it not in script or something that is why strategic decisions here is actually unlimited.

That is also why this game have upside downs what is happened in real life too. Last few days I was playing on side which didn't work well the fight was great even we was loosing but it was also frustrating to see no one listening and not cooperating and that is actually like loosing moral in real life.

that's why we need to do this experiance balancing stuff before missions start. It will help creating more experianced players and encreasing number of players in general.

Comment

Originally posted by wormeaten View Post
          I notice some behaviour on server. It is nothing bad but slowing down learning curves for new players ....
          Cheers Worm. I will reply when I get back from work. Have a good one mate.

Comment

The game is going to be played the way the development will let it, not the way the development wants it.

In addition server rules like 'you must follow you squad leader' or even the basic 'don't shoot your own team members' are useless if no-one visits these forums to read the rules, doesn't understand English to read the rules, and if they can read and understand them ignores them anyway.

As a regular squad leader I'm starting to get a bit tired of telling/begging a good 1/5th of every squad to repeatedly 'regroup', 'stay on the objective' or more to the development side, 'What kit do you have', 'Don't worry about the first-aid you're in the open and will just get someone killed, just respawn'. Extrapolate this to also having a new player who doesn't even know how to play ArmA2 let alone hasn't setup they're keys properly for the PR mod and you can understand why some of use experienced players are getting a bit over teaching everyone when the development side isn't making this any easier for us.

The next patch needs to have a GUI of squad members and their kits, listed in terms of distance from the SL (the ShacTac radar which PR 'emulated' has this). I would suggest this on the PR forums but there is a minimum post requriement for the suggestions area of that forum (for a game in it's infancy, don't get me started on that!).

I've never lead any squad before until PR:ArmA2 but I stepped-up and taught myself. I learned by trial-and-error to put the RP away from the objective, run separate fire-teams, what formation is best suited for which terrain, making sure people keep their spacing etc., but lately I'm of the mind as someone put it that if I'd done my squad leader 'rotation' I should be able to take a back seat for the next map and let someone else lead. I like being a grunt and shooting stuff too, and get over very quickly being the Kindergarten teacher telling little Billy to stop they're 'all important personal mission, put the sniper rifle/satchels/TOW launcher down and rejoin the rest of the squad'.

An example for a bad night for me is when I have to sit in a bush away from the RP and squad so I don't give them away, telling them to stay on objective, using the tag/untag feature to go through each person to find-out who isn't, then they don't respond or even have a mic, then I've got to make the harsh decision to kick them from the squad after numerous repeats (I really hate doing this), then I've got to ask everyone to type what kit they have in group chat so I can scrabble this down on a post-it note, all to eventually get shot by so lonewolf enemy infantry who has heard everything and shoots me point-blank...on top of this you want me to train new players constantly on how to bind they're interaction key and not just how to use it...

Telling the squad to 'not bunch up' at an objective and 'keep they're spacing' in formation I don't mind. That's my role as SL, just like ensuring they're respawns are managed. But the crap I've written above shouldn't be. I don't mind not being the one shooting as SL. In fact if I'm leading effectively the squad should be doing the shooting not me. What I mind is having to use comms excessively to keep squad members in-line which gets them and myself killed.

Regulars experienced players should be divided equal on both sides and be a squad leaders creating few squads with less players especially with lower numbers of players. In new release squads will be limited so start to adopting on this. Also if we create base for squad with 3 experienced players and rest of new players. This is only proper way to teach new players how to adopt to new game which is more depend on team work and bring it to higher level than it is in BF2PR especially because it is based on human decisions to make it not in script or something that is why strategic decisions here is actually unlimited.
            I always try to mix one or two new players with an experienced squad. That way the rest of the squad can help him when I can't.

But you haven't mentioned anything about the fun of experienced players and I don't mean racking-up kills which I could care less about? I'm getting sick of being the bad guy that gets accused of 'team stacking' or worse 'tactical masturbation' and then getting asked 'Why did you kick me from the squad'. These latter players have the ability to leave the squad at any time and I wish they would take that option so that they rest of us trying to do the right thing can get to it and I don't have to be the bad guy all the time.

There is not much point in having the experienced players, your player base that keep the PR mod going, having to completely give everything up for new players. You will lose both groups.

A better way is have experienced players help those who help themselves. If a player isn't going to watch the YouTube videos to learn how to play, setup they're keys and follow they're SL; and experienced players aren't going lead a squad, build FOBs and play as a team then they deserve to lose.

This has nothing to do 'team stacking' or experience...this is just laziness.

People who is now veterans of the PRAA most of the time goes on same side so creating unbalanced situation based on experience. So other side have just frustration what could effect on wrong first impression on game.
            This isn't question of experienced players sticking together, this is players who play as a team sticking together. You're getting these mixed-up. To highlight this point you'll even see some of the top 'killers' in terms kill counts on the losing team so it's not a question of experience.

Personally I'm going to stick to to a side with players I know will listen to me when I lead or lead me effectively. I'm going to stick with players that don't mind trucking half the map just to setup a FOB for the team (*tips hat to Leon and Swedge*), or swapping out they're AT kit and missing-out on that prized vehicle kill just to bring an RP for the squad. Certainly if vehicles or RPs are needed for the squad as SL I'll suicide and/or run half the map to get these from base or FOB just to keep units on the objective.

Conversely I'm going to start avoid including players in my squad who go lonewolf/rogue. I'm going to avoid teams that have a large clan presence whose members are known for never building FOBs. I'm going to avoid players in anyway possible who don't listen to anyone on how to play and race to get the sniper kit, crash the team helo and just care about the kill count.

Quite frankly I don't care too much if my team loses, as long as we had a good fight and worked as a team. A good example was the Eagle Claw map the night of this post with 97 players. I had a great squad (best so far) and it was a close game. We might've lost it but I still would've been happy because it was a great fight of both Eastern and western fronts. Everyone regrouped when they needed, moved out in formation and even setup a perimeter without being prompted at an objective or when we were waiting on others to rejoin the squad. In addition the squad included 3 first-time PR players highlighting that the issues you describe have nothing to do with experience!

EDIT: I gotta give praise to these guys for being great squad members: Cpl Steiner, UrShak, P. Gaberison, Ratzo, HE MAN 4-1, Matt, GoldSabre (new), G-man-82 (new), Pattcon (new)
            -> apologies if I missed anyone and or mis-spelled your nickname (PM me and I'll fix it).

Last few days I was playing on side which didn't work well the fight was great even we was loosing but it was also frustrating to see no one listening and not cooperating and that is actually like loosing moral in real life.
            If it's a question of teaching where are the rest of the PR Devs taking on the squad leader/teaching roles? I think I've seen 2 to 3 since I started playing and certainly not regularly. More to the point as I've said numerous times why aren't more people in general taking squad leader roles, regardless of experience? At the very least you'll start to appreciate how much of a hard time us regular SLs have leading. Even more shocking is actual clans not working as a squad, coordinating with other squads and focusing on objectives. It always the same people buiding FOBs and attacking objectives.

Apologies for the rant but a posting of this nature from a PR Dev no-less made my blood-boil a little as you have the power to instigate the changes required. This is not to say I don't think the PR mod is great and that I don't respect the fact that's it's free and still beta. But preaching to us in this nature is not right and is indicative of the attitude the PR devs have at times e.g. BIS forum incidents.
            Last edited by mad rabbit; 01-23-2012, 09:10 AM.

Comment

I notice some behaviour on server. It is nothing bad but slowing down learning curves for new players.

That is also why this game have upside downs what is happened in real life too. Last few days I was playing on side which didn't work well the fight was great even we was loosing but it was also frustrating to see no one listening and not cooperating and that is actually like loosing moral in real life.

that's why we need to do this experiance balancing stuff before missions start. It will help creating more experianced players and encreasing number of players in general.
              Biggest problem is that those non teamplaying players make game harder to those who are trying to actually win the game. Important kits and assets are taken by players who dont know how to properly use them, building limitations go up and it might seem that teams are balanced so even more players join to the winning side. Even players with some experience cannot do anything to turn situation around alone so basically to change game there would need to be atleast one whole squad joining the loosing side to make any difference. Starting to loose my faith on this mod badly. Too many bad games compared to good ones that I have lost all my strenght to play this.

It is better to take a brake that ruin others games so adios amigos for X amount of days.
              -

Comment

I can understand MadRabbit's and Joku's frustration. If you ever get a bit burnt out from squad-leading or general play for a while just say the word and there's always a spot on my squad :)
                I also agree with your overall point Wormeaten that it is undesirable to have all of the experienced players on one side and all of the unexperienced players on the other side. This can certainly give unexperienced players a distorted view of what the game is like because all they may see from their perspective on their side is confusion and lack of teamwork.

I think there are three reasons that this happens. They are all understandable reasons but with all of them there are also things that I hope players will do to reduce the chances of the above happening.

Reason 1

Part of what is great about Arma and PR is coming together in a community and meeting new friends to play with and improve with. When you find those people, they become important to you and you really value them. You build skills, trust, and friendship with them over time and you often want to team up with them at every opportunity you get. They can be the main reason that you play the game and if they are not present you can often enjoy the game a lot less. That is natural and understandable and will no doubt always take place. I know that, personally, I would rather lose a game where we had excellent teamwork than win a game with no teamwork but sheer luck.

If players create squads consisting purely of their best friends and then Lock those, it will prevent new players from having the opportunity to learn from the experienced players and to see teamwork in action. So, I would encourage experienced players to make some room for strangers and new players - to give them a chance. All of the experienced and mature players I know are already fully aware of this and already do this. Mature players recognise that the only way to find those new friends is to sometimes play with strangers and to assist them to learn more about the game and exchange skills together. They realise that this also increases the overall number of players in the community. All of my best friends in PR:Arma were complete strangers once.

There is a natural ebb and flow to this though. If a squad-leader has had a series of games where he has been 'burnt' by the majority of his squad not communicating, not reading the manual, and not using teamwork, he may naturally withdraw for a while and somewhat limit his squads to known friends. He needs to be able to regulate that himself or he will get burnt out and not play at all anymore. In his own time, when he is ready he will gradually start playing again with strangers. It can be a lot of pressure and stress to be one of only 2 or 3 squad-leaders on a side trying to lead a team of players who are not communicating or working together but everyone somehow blaming you. That happens often. Many players do not want 'the burden of command'. So, the players that do try to shoulder it carry a far heavier burden because it is spread across so few players. And players can get burnt out and understandably want to retreat into their shells sometimes. It's the same with all games in the broader sense too. Sometimes I play Arma for 8 hours and I decide that I'm not going to play it for a few days because I burnt out :) And I come back to it when I'm ready.

Reason 2

Many players want to be on the winning side and will choose whichever side has the largest number of experienced players. Some players will unfortunately always do this and they are maybe unlikely to change.
                For other mature players though, this is also tied in with Reason 1 because many of the experienced players are friends. You join your 2 or 3 friends. They have their 2 or 3 friends and they have there's and all of a sudden you accidentally have a stacked side. There can be a natural tendency to do that sometimes. I know I've sometimes done it before. But it can be worthwhile to sometimes use self-discipline and take the hard road. For the most mature players, they know that they will not improve as soldiers and players unless they are challenged harder than they've been challenged before. You will not be challenged by wiping out a side of new and inexperienced players. You will learn little. You will be challenged by playing against other experienced squads and players. And it can also be great fun. I've never laughed so hard as when I've run into my best friends in enemy squads and heard them on VON. I remember one time Spook and I, on different sides, arrived with our FO trucks at the same spot and time we used to go when we worked together. We both leapt out and ran in circles around a rocky outcrop like a Bugs Bunny cartoon shooting madly. I remember another time where MadRabbit on the other side drove past me in an Offroad and I could hear him talking to his squad and I bolted after him shooting at his wheels, yelling and laughing as he crashed into a building. It can also be great fun to compare notes later. Having said that, it's still very important for me to be able to play with those guys too on my side.

Reason 3

As MadRabbit pointed out, if players do not read the manual or watch the tutorials 'natural selection' kicks in and they tend to lose or miss out on teamwork. I understand where they're coming from but they need to understand that Arma 2 or PR:Arma 2 are not casual games that can be leapt into like Angry Birds on their Iphone. It make take an hour of 'homework' but the rewards are well worth it.

Solutions

So, merging reason 1 and reason2 together, my suggestion to players who care about supporting the PR:Arma2 community is to by all means create squads with your friends but leave spots for new players and show them the ropes. Most good players already do this. If that gets a bit much and you find yourself getting burnt out, take a back-seat for awhile and stick with your friends until you feel comfortable again. In addition, when you choose your Side, try to maximise the chances that experienced players and experienced squads will be on both sides. Try and encourage other experienced squads to do the same. As an individual you cannot guarantee that this will happen. Other players may change sides just to be with you and there's no guarantees. But just do the best you can as an individual player - that's all that you can do. And you can't control what happens once the game has started - players may leave or disconnect and the 'balance' may suddenly change.

For reason 3 and new players, I encourage you to read the manual and watch the tutorials. You may also be interested in the guides in my signature file below. And if you have any questions, search the forums here or at the PR website and if you can't find the answer by all means send me a PM or ask me in-game.

I look forward to the next version of PR:Arma2. As far as I see it - all bets are off :) Even if we are talking a radically new game with new strategies, tactics, and elements and new difficulties, I say bring it on! There may be a learning curve but we will surf it and adapt in that chaos and I look forward to learning with old friends and new strangers.

My apologies to MadRabbit if I've inadvertently introduced the phrase "tactical masturbation" into the community's vernacular :)

I have to stop talking now or I will break my personal rule: If you talk about Arma more than you play it, you're doing it wrong :)

Dslyecxi's TTP guide includes an interesting section on 'Practical Leadership in Gaming' which I have always found worthwhile to re-read. In it he points out that gamers are ultimately 'volunteers' and their leaders are volunteers too. It's a good read and I recommend it to anyone:
                Scroll down to the bottom of this page to the section 'Tactical Leadership in Gaming':
                http://ttp2.dslyecxi.com/leadership.html

Comment

Perhaps your right about the SLing burn-out, or at least half-right. It's one thing to do 'your rotation' then take a break, it's another to be asked during your break to SL again and then people go rogue, or more to the point to lazy to do it themselves. But that's SLing for you in any game not just PR. I'm just annoyed that a PR Dev is complaining about team stacking and pointing at player experience being the cause when it's other underlying issues as you've pointed-out. And they would know this if more of them played these larger games with the public and lead/instructed new players themselves, rather than blaming the current experienced player base who are trying to be psotive examples.

I never ask when the next version is coming-out and when possible, point-out that flaws in the game are due to the ArmA2 engine and not the PR mod. I also appreciate that this game free and a beta. But I resent being blamed as an experienced player for the outcome of a map, the lack of training of new players and lack of team-wide cohesion, especially considering how many times I and others 'step-up' to lead. Better SL tools will help and I'm sure they'll be in the next version. I'm personally not impatient, am having fun for the most part but am doing the best with what I've be given from the PR mod to lead. In other words, "don't give me a one page summary on how to fly a plane and then complain about the piloting."

In regards to your points Swedge:

Reason 1:
                  Locking squads at the start of the match keeps the squad numbers for ballooning and filters out those who don't even know how to access the squad selection screen i.e. haven't read the manual. I've never rejected a player invite request, regardless of player experience. I know the PR Devs are already addressing the squad number issue in the next version so I haven't mentioned this as again this is a beta. I agree on the burden increase and not caring about the map outcome.

I've never received outright criticism for my SLing nor feel an overwhelming sense that I'm being blamed for losses. Certainly I apologise to the squad frequently for bad RP placement, being ambushed and over-instructing. I think for the most part people are just happy someone is trying to something positive for teamwork regardless of the outcome. So I'd have to disagree on this last point as every squad member has the option to leave just as I have the option to kick, which is another justification for squad locking. It also hurts squad cohesion if squad members are off doing they're own thing and not helping the squad. But I digress. My point was that I don't think new SL should be scared of the "everyone is going to blame me for losing" due to these points.

Reason 2:
                  I actually prefer to join the losing team as it means a better fight as it's boring being in a good squad on a winning side. A good example is the evenly matched 97 player game on Eagle Claw that this thread is about. We barely won that but I didn't care too much about the outcome. The reason for the feeling of team stacking is not because of experienced players being on one side, it's because all the players who like to play as a team congregate together and avoid the players who don't. Simple.

Plenty of experienced players lonewolf-ing out there with they're sniper rifle etc. and complaining about their team not working together. Stop complaining, lead by example or even better lead a squad.

@Swedge: grrr... You probably heard the accompanying cursing and disappointment coming from the flaming wreckage too...

Reason 3:
                  Yep agree. It's just laziness.

---
                  In terms of new player incorporation, in the example I gave above 1/3rd of the squad were new PR players. Perhaps I could do more as you have in terms of PDF/video guides I dunno... in this respect I agree on the burning-out and just wish other veterans would help.

I think it was DoomPirate who originally used the term on a map load in the phrase, "Please pick a map that I can tactically masturbate to." Not sure who it was directed at, perhaps me (I may have squad kicked him for going lonewolf) but certainly all us SLs have our flaws. We're all volunteers though but you've reminded me that so are the players who join the squad so I'll simmer down a bit, remember to breath and stop talking to the squad so much.

However I issue a challenge to any player not happy with the their team or the current crop of regular squad leaders. Start your own squad and keep them focused cohesively on an objective, whether it be a flag, FOB or rally point. Do that and you'll find that most players will appreciate you trying to do something positive regardless of the outcome and they will come back to you for more 'punishment' as a regular grunt, myself included.
                  Last edited by mad rabbit; 01-23-2012, 09:26 AM.

Comment

I have a lot to say on this topic and am looking forward to posting tonight after work, don't lose heart we've all been there be it PR Arma or PR BF.

One thing can we drop the 'Tactical ahem soloing' references guys, its not appropriate for the forums.

Comment

No no we are not loosing hart. I'm trying to start some discussion especially among more experience players.

Like I say it is not bad what is going on and you are all right why people trying to stick together.
                      I have to admit you guys are playing good now but most of the time it is just one squad who make difference on battlefield.

Actually you reach your level of understanding this game by experience playing it and practically reach it in the way I describing and thank you for that.
                      This what I'm suggesting is more like asking you a favour. You do the great job for now and it is time to expand this team work on coordination between multiple squads. This level is still not working as I will like and it is not something what you will program in scripts it is based on human decisions and it is something what you have to learn with experience.

I'm asking you or better say bagging you for little more sacrifices because it is still early stage of mod and we are expanding players base but is also sensitive period where because of some wrong impression someone could get. ArmA same as PRAA mod demand lot of investment to it but how much you give it pay you back with an interest.

This is normal logical situation and player base growing with your help could grow faster also PR tournament is near same as new release so I'm expecting even more new players or some old who give up to soon.
                      Tournament will be also opportunity to teach and learn and get whole new perspective on this game.

So guys don't take my post as critic you are all good and right but we need your help and also I want to teach you some other possibilities for wich I know it there but newer see someone using it.

Mad Rabbit you see 2 or 3 devs on server, That's it you see them all. We are not that big as BF2 team and rest of the PRAA team are 3D modelling or texturing whos work you will see at .2 of course have support from BF2 guys but mostly in 3D modeling.

Thank you guys for understanding.

Comment

The 97 match had good mojo..., no one was spamming side channel. I was in Mad's squad so didn't hear SL channel chatter.

As SL, i detest 'back seat leaders' on sl channel. "GO HERE!!" "Move There!!" --at one point had one guy saying attack, another guy saying defend; both demanding i move my squad while i'm in the middle of a squad size firefight.
                        WTF?

Squad command channel needs much better discipline..., more respect.

To herd a squad to an assault demands near constant direction from the sl --a steady flow of orders with tempo and focus.
                        It's like calling a play-by-play at a hockey game; a slow/fast/slow staccato. It's the cadence of command.
                        Mad Rabbit does it well; i try to do it well.
                        But very few people, by nature, would even want to try.

One idea, is to have an 'assistant sl' or an 'xo' who can manage the squad, take the squad if the sl drops; filter command channel chatter; assign fts; place obj on map, etc.
                        Help to lighten the work load of a very busy sl.

Just some random thoughts.

Comment

I'd like to add a few comments to some of the excellent points already raised and also clarify Tactical Gamer's position on a few things.

Firtsly regarding the rules, the Primer, TG's expectations for the quality of play and the future of PR Arma.

The rules play a key part in providing a solid base for all other aspects of gameplay to be built upon. They ensure a minimum standard of behaviour and gameplay. By legislating for certain behaviours we ensure for the most part that the playerbase can enjoy the game in a mature and teamwork focused environment without many of the less desirable aspects of online play.

As a seasoned TG member, PR/Arma Veteran or a new visitor to the server you are expected to familiarise yourself with these rules and requirements. That is basic courtesy. However this is not a perfect world and many do not visit these forums yet. In an effort to draw attention to this key starting point for playing PR Arma at TG I will be attempting to raise the profile of these forums to ensure greater visibility for our visitors.

OK so how do we raise the standard of gameplay, teamwork and leadership on the server you ask?

Understanding the rules, the Primer and the objectives of this community is the first step in a process. There is a vast amount of content on these forums discussing leadership, tactics, mentoring etc. The PR BF forums have countless threads on such subjects.

Once people are on the TG forums and TS we have opened the lines of communication with them and can begin to develop a shared understanding of the goals regarding these key areas :-

- Teamwork
                          - Leadership
                          - Tactical Play
                          - Standards of behaviour
                          - Community Development

Communication is key.

On a server that has visitors from all over the globe it serves little purpose for the same half dozen people to have the same debate over and over. The message needs to be heard by the people 'out there'.

The obvious solution is to direct these people to both the forums and TS. Build a community here. Log on to TeamSpeak as a matter of course when playing, encourage others to register on the forums and do the same, get people talking.

Those conversations will initiate new friendships and alliances within this fledgling community. Established Leaders can share knowledge and best practice and provide the impetus and encouragement for others to step up and take the reigns. External groups that perhaps have been somewhat insular up to that point will find like minded individuals who wish to coordinate with them on the server. Teamwork begins to build. A series of individual 'links' become a chain and that chain can pull the community forward.

Building something is hard, often laying the foundations is the most back breaking part. However hard work put in at this stage lays the foudation for something solid and lasting. You may be surprised how quickly people start showing up to lend a hand when they see you constructing something with vision and purpose.

Why is this process particularly hard in PR Arma?

The early days of PR:BF were hard too. As a community we really had to put our back into it. The mod offered a degree of complexity that outstripped other games at the time and still continues to evolve.

We had constant debates about leadership. Now this is in a 63/64 player environment with a much larger playerbase. Many of the regular SL's have squad lead pretty much every single round they play for 4-5 years give a take a game here or there.

Now let's compare PR:Arma. The game is a magnificent beast, but it is a beast for the beginner. It's scale, scope and possibilites dwarf PR:BF, that is indisputable. These factors place an even greater emphasis on realistic tactics and teamwork, as the battlefield is a vast and unforgiving place at times. The mod is complicated, for want of a better word, when compared to other games.

All these factors combine to produce a daunting challenge for the new player. As such they often wander aimlessly or become insular, sticking with what and who they know. To breakdown that isolation we must extend a helping hand, direct them to the forums and TS, provide them with a community to fall back on and last but by no means least, remain patient.

Once these players have that support system in place their confidence will grow, once they see there are some people that they 'know' on the server they will start to take a few risks and play with new people and even lead squads.

I will warn that this does not happen overnight, but it does snowball faster than you would expect. One person on the forums brings a friend, two people chatting on TS soon becomes a group. Several external groups playing together soon becomes a team. Building a community requires effort and commitment on and off the server. However, much like building an indestructible firebase, once built it will provide you with a neverending stream if reinforcements and you will have always have a place to fall back on.

The Admin Team is here to help you lay these foundations, lets get digging.

A strong TG PR Arma community will serve the wider playerbase well and contribute significantly to the well being of the mod. How do I know? Because it has been done before.

So to reiterate, what do we need to do now:-

- Get on Teamspeak
                          - Get on the Forums
                          - Encourage others to do the same
                          - Teach and mentor new players
                          - Work at working with others
                          - Make improving gameplay your number 1 objective, not winning
                          - Make building a Community your ultimate goal.

Tick all those boxes and you will start to see the team work you crave and more leaders than you can shake a stick at.

A strong TG PR Arma Community can provide in game leadership, eventually Tactical Gamer University Courses for training, special events, mentoring, comradery and fun.
                          How do I know? I know because it's been done before, I have been involved in it and been lucky enough to have benefitted from it more than I can adequately describe. 5 years later it is why I am still here.

Just takes those intitial steps, that first commitment. From my perspective the ball is already rolling on this, we just need to decide whether or not we are going to put our shoulder in, I've made my mind up already.
                          Last edited by Wicks; 01-23-2012, 01:56 PM.

Comment

Cheers Wicks. Agreed. Much appreciated.

Comment

we need your help and also I want to teach you some other possibilities for wich I know it there but newer see someone using it.

Mad Rabbit you see 2 or 3 devs on server, That's it you see them all. We are not that big as BF2 team
                              Okay wormeaten, what you're trying to say makes sense now. Sorry for the rant. I was just unhappy that we were getting criticized for help we already provide that would be made easier by changes we can't control. But I'll try even more to help out newer players which will include running in-game training squads on certain nights/maps targeted at new players.

The PR Dev presence on the server makes sense now too.

Originally posted by Wicks View Post
                              Now let's compare PR:Arma. The game is a magnificent beast, but it is a beast for the beginner. It's scale, scope and possibilites dwarf PR:BF, that is indisputable. These factors place an even greater emphasis on realistic tactics and teamwork, as the battlefield is a vast and unforgiving place at times. The mod is complicated, for want of a better word, when compared to other games.

All these factors combine to produce a daunting challenge for the new player. As such they often wander aimlessly or become insular, sticking with what and who they know. To breakdown that isolation we must extend a helping hand, direct them to the forums and TS, provide them with a community to fall back on and last but by no means least, remain patient.

Once these players have that support system in place their confidence will grow, once they see there are some people that they 'know' on the server they will start to take a few risks and play with new people and even lead squads.
                              Good points Wicks, especially in regards to the learning curve. I've played since OFP, so the controls are not alien to me. I'll keep this in mine and try not to be too condescending to Call Of Duty-type players...try.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X