Noob to Arma PR Observations

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noob to Arma PR Observations

I use to play BF2 PR a ton back in the day but lost a lot of free time when I joined the Army myself. Haha now I'm counting down the days till I get out and I can play more PR again! Anyways I'm on my 2 week R&R from Afghanistan. I've been itching to play PR on Arma 2 and love the possibilities of where this mod could improve on the BF2 PR's limitations.

Anyways over the past few days I have jumped in the server during the day and from my observations I see areas I'm disappointed in, however they aren't really related to game itself.

-Seems like there is a lack of leadership at the squad leader level. During my BF2 PR days there always seemed like an abundance of people stepping up to play the role. Now I'm sure most of you are thinking "Well why don't you lead yourself?" Well I do plan on it but am still working on learning the basic controls and how the game works.

-Teamwork - the squads I have joined are always spread out around the map. There is communication among the teammates but not a lot of sticking together.

-SL Control- the squad leaders arent giving their soldiers clear precise instructions and filling them in on the plan. The SL right from the start should tell each soldier what kit they should grab, where the squad will rally, and then the objective.

-During the Firefight- All hell breaks lose. No real communication. No guiding fellow soldiers onto the target or where fire is coming from.

Maybe I'm completely wrong and unlucky with the squads I have joined????? Or maybe others should unlock their squads :(

Any thoughts?

Re: Noob to Arma PR Observations

- Much more technical game than PR:BF2
    - far greater learning curve
    - far more scope and scale
    - far more realistic
    - much smaller playerbase at this point
    - PR:BF has been out for 6 years plus now.

The reasons you cite
    Well I do plan on it but am still working on learning the basic controls and how the game works.
    are the same for many others.

Give it time, PR:Arma has just started and whilst you can take many, many of the skills you have picked up in PR:BF and put them to excellent use it is different and simply bigger. When you go bigger the challenges are bigger and it is all the more daunting when you are just getting started, as many others are.

Keep at it and step up as soon as you can.
    Last edited by Wicks; 03-18-2012, 07:57 PM.

Comment

Ghost1Bravo, your not alone, I have witnessed those same observations (and others) everytime I play.

My #1 issue with PR:Arma at the moment is the nametag system which for me is pretty broken and makes team/squad organisation very difficult, and also squad leader commands are not very clear (either on screen or on the squad radar).

Need more play time anyways, hopefully with v0.15 come out we will see a rise in leadership.

Welcome back anyways :)

Comment

Originally posted by Ghost1Bravo View Post
        I use to play BF2 PR a ton back in the day but lost a lot of free time when I joined the Army myself. Haha now I'm counting down the days till I get out and I can play more PR again! Anyways I'm on my 2 week R&R from Afghanistan. I've been itching to play PR on Arma 2 and love the possibilities of where this mod could improve on the BF2 PR's limitations.

Anyways over the past few days I have jumped in the server during the day and from my observations I see areas I'm disappointed in, however they aren't really related to game itself.

-Seems like there is a lack of leadership at the squad leader level. During my BF2 PR days there always seemed like an abundance of people stepping up to play the role. Now I'm sure most of you are thinking "Well why don't you lead yourself?" Well I do plan on it but am still working on learning the basic controls and how the game works.

-Teamwork - the squads I have joined are always spread out around the map. There is communication among the teammates but not a lot of sticking together.

-SL Control- the squad leaders arent giving their soldiers clear precise instructions and filling them in on the plan. The SL right from the start should tell each soldier what kit they should grab, where the squad will rally, and then the objective.

-During the Firefight- All hell breaks lose. No real communication. No guiding fellow soldiers onto the target or where fire is coming from.

Maybe I'm completely wrong and unlucky with the squads I have joined????? Or maybe others should unlock their squads :(

Any thoughts?
        Hi Ghost! Awesome to have you onboard mate. Sorry I've only just seen your post. I imagine your R&R has finished already.

- There is indeed a need for more squad-leaders. Off the top of my head I can think of at least 10 that I would be happy to play under. All that any player can do to improve that is to support, encourage, and assist existing squad-leaders more and/or to step up and take on that role themselves as you pointed out, which is great.

- RE your last 3 points, some squads are indeed like that. Perhaps about half or more. There's also just legitimate language barriers which are unavoidable on an international server (which I enjoy).

You may have indeed been unlucky with the squads you happened to have joined. If you're persistent you will eventually find some names that you can trust.

Squad-leaders have to lock squads at some point. It's partly for gameplay reasons and partly for personal preference. As soon as I click the Create A Squad button I have to start spamming the lock-button because even then I still sometimes get 11 guys which is too many for me to handle :)
        If you're new you can ask on Side Chat and a locked squad may make an exception for you. Aside from that, the only alternative is 'first in best dressed' :) And to start leading your own squads.

Hope to see you again some time mate. Come say hello in-game.

Originally posted by fuzzhead View Post
        Ghost1Bravo, your not alone, I have witnessed those same observations (and others) everytime I play.

My #1 issue with PR:Arma at the moment is the nametag system which for me is pretty broken and makes team/squad organisation very difficult, and also squad leader commands are not very clear (either on screen or on the squad radar).

Need more play time anyways, hopefully with v0.15 come out we will see a rise in leadership.

Welcome back anyways :)
        Not sure what you mean about the name-tag system mate. In-game you can press the windows key (that's what mine is mapped to anyway) near a unit to see their name. On the map you can do the same for units who are close by. As a squad-leader I find that combination entirely sufficient. The map names element is new to this version and a welcome change. The radar isn't used for squad-leader commands. Just the map. (Personally I don't use the squad radar either but lots of good players do). You can also use all of these in conjunction with old-fashioned vanilla map-markers which is what I do, eg "Breach here", "Swedge LZ", "Swedge FO1", "1 x Inf" etc. Most importantly, squad-leader commands are also very much about verbal communication. With the combination of those 3, you can do just fine. Keep your squad updated on what you're thinking and what you're planning and repeat it as appropriate to remind them and to facilitate their compliance and suggestions etc.

Any players who want to see more leadership should try and increase the amount of support, patience, and encouragement they give to existing or would-be leaders and also try learn about the game ASAP so they can take up leadership too. It's a gradual thing that you can start small with. A squad-leader who can even just communicate with the other squads on command channel and deploy RPs at appropriate locations, can make a massive impact on the game. Everyone makes mistakes sometimes and the details and nuances can come later.

Thank you for your time.

+1 to everything Wicks said.

Cheers,
        Swedge

Squad-Leader, A3 Bomb Disposal FAQ, PR:A2 Strategy Guide, A2 Insurgency Guide
        TacBf: Moderator, Server Admin, Bugtester, Facebook Admin

Comment

+1 to Wicks and Swedge's comments.

If you see me in game with a squad Ghost feel free to join. Always happy to have another team orientated player. If it's locked for the reasons Swedge suggested above please don't take offence and remind us of this thread. The locking is mainly to keep out player who join just for the pilot/sniper kit then quit and to keep things manageable.

Comment

I could say the same for BF2PR. I have same experience in Bf2PR but even I play Bf2PR from .1 and know exactly how PR was progressing.

I was after 2 years trying to play some Bf2PR to see what you are talking about and was amazed how team work in Bf2 was way below teamwork in PRAA.
            PRAA is more demanding and depending on teamwork than Bf2 so level of teamwork from Bf2 in not sufficient for PRAA and one more thing PRAA is PR but just in essence idea basically it is completely different game so your great experience from Bf2 is not worth that much as you think it will be in same way as my PRAA will not work in Bf2 because I didn't play it much from .6 when I stop playing Bf2PR.

PRAA is based on one most realistic feature more than any other game out there, it is based on freedom of human decisions and how strategy and teamwork depend on it. That is the reason why you have this up side downs in game mostely because majority players still learning and adopting to new gameplay.
            Take Swedge or Mad rabbit for example they are some of best players of PRAA and playing it from first release already 6 months and I believe they could confirm are still get surprise with new stuff they discover or some other players outsmart them with some new ideas.

It will be just rushing with making such conclusion. PRAA is in the beginners phase still higly depend on changes and if we compare it with Bf2PR they need 6 years to get here where it is now PRAA is runs only 6 months and if I compare it with Bf2PR progress I think PRAA reach .6 level of BF2PR.

Comment

Originally posted by wormeaten View Post
              Take Swedge or Mad rabbit for example they are some of best players of PRAA and playing it from first release already 6 months and I believe they could confirm are still get surprise with new stuff they discover or some other players outsmart them with some new ideas.
              Thanks Worm. Much appreciated. I still love it and still get surprised every day by some new idea, comment, or talent from different players, and getting my ass kicked! :)

I was reading through the official BF2PR forums yesterday just out of curiosity, even though I never played the mod. I was surprised to read that there are several positive and negative issues very similar to the experience in PRArma2. Seems like we have a lot of common with them on both sides of the tally. I'm big on reality so Arma is the one for me, but I wish them all the best too.

Cheers,
              Swedge

Comment

Cheers worm! Yep agree, we get are butts kicked in a variety of ways. Hurts to sit sometimes...

I dabbled in PR:BF2 a bit and as Swedge found in their forums, which I never visited, and also constantly stated by TG admins here and PR DEVS, the PR:BF2 communities have the exact same problems even after years of development. The problems you are describing Ghost1Bravo are to do with human nature which will always be present in any multiplayer game setting.

In fact I think it's amazing that given the small player base this mod is taking-off as it is, which is a testament to the desire by most to have realistic tam orientated gameplay on a excellently managed server. Which brings me to my next point of timing. I don't think I've ever seen you on the server Ghost1Bravo, so I think your observations are coming from a restricted perspective. You need to come on during the peak times: http://www.gametracker.com/server_in...3.97.138:2333/

Better yet wait for the organised TG T4 (why is it called T4?!) events which triples the tempo and teamwork in my opinion. Search these forums for the After Action Reports and videos for verification of this statement.

Comment

Originally posted by mad rabbit View Post
                  Better yet wait for the organised TG T4 (why is it called T4?!) events which triples the tempo and teamwork in my opinion. Search these forums for the After Action Reports and videos for verification of this statement.

I could tell you the origin behind the top secret, super ninja code word that is T4, but then I'd have to kill you.

Or perhaps it just stands for Tactical Take-Over Take Two,(T4.) The preprocessor being simply Tactical Takeover. This of course brings us to the next event which would be take three, also T4 but I'm sure we can think of something more imaginative! :p

On that note though the events will be returning in the near future, when the current version has had some time to settle in.

Comment

Originally posted by mad rabbit View Post
                    The problems you are describing Ghost1Bravo are to do with human nature which will always be present in any multiplayer game setting.
                    +1. This is what it's all about, in a nutshell. The room for improvement is in us players.

Cheers,
                    Swedge

Comment

There is no better experience in game world than when good organized squad runs on opposite good organized squad in PRAA.

When you recognize someones voice over VOIP on other side like I was for example recognize Swedge voice we got additional sharped senses and awareness because we know it is Veteran squad on other side.
                      SL quickly rolling memories in his head trying to remember what he was doing in past to predict his next move to make best possible decision.

Comment

Originally posted by wormeaten View Post
                        SL quickly rolling memories in his head trying to remember what he was doing in past to predict his next move to make best possible decision.
                        I agree with all the above comments, in particular what you say here Worm reminds me of a book - The Art of War by Sun Tzu. Highly recommended!

We are virtually practicing the art of war by the means of Arma's capacity to facilitate it, we are making decisions more or less real Officers would consider or at least theorize about! This is PR Arma.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X