Contour Maps for Project Reality

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Contour Maps for Project Reality

This was mentioned during last night's pw game on Fool's Road, with regards to mortar accuracy, and it really intrigued me.

In my experience on the mortars, determining the height difference was a matter of long-range educated guessing. The new map grid is excellent for determining distance (kudos for that), but I would love to see contour maps.

Contour maps wouldn't have to be integrated into the game. If contour maps were made available as PDF files, SLs or regular mortar users could print a sheaf to keep on hand when needed.
    Teamwork and Tactics are OP

Strait /strāt/ (Noun) A narrow passage of water connecting two seas or two large areas of water: "the Northumberland Strait".

Re: Contour Maps for Project Reality

You mean topographical maps? I think it's possible to extract the heightmaps from the files and maybe use that. Someone also wrote a small app on the PR forums that does all the calculations for you, including elevation, here.
    sigpic

Comment

The program does not calculate elevation. It calculates the same value that the game does (barrel elevation or angle, not target elevation).

Comment

http://www.realitymod.com/forum/f388...-minimaps.html

Comment

It would help if their were some reference numbers. Anyone know the elevation difference between lines?

Comment

From what I can see, it appears that the standard between contours is 5m vertical displacement (looking specifically at the OGT, Qwai, Jabal and Al Basrah maps.

Comment

Instead of having mortar SL's with the mortars I think they should be in the field spotting and calling corrections or have other SL's do so.

"All of you stay frickin high speed. All you stay on your frickin primaries and frickin slay bodies all day long. Good to go" -Combat Ninja lol

Comment

The Qwai map on there is the old Qwai and is not 100% accurate.

A good leader requires both character and strategy. If he is to be without one, let it be strategy. - General Rick Hilliar, Former Canadian Chief of Defence

Comment

I don't know whether any of them are necessarily accurate or consistent, I believe they were done for aesthetics rather than for real use; they were originally aiming to be a minimap/loading screen map/command map replacement.

They give quite a good idea of the terrain to expect on the map, but I don't know whether or not they're accurate to the maps, especially due to being so outdated, or that each map uses the same increments since he didn't really afford any sort of indicator.

Comment

Bumping for great justice:

http://www.realitymod.com/forum/f10-...ml#post1479361

Comment

That's a pretty sweet job on that, but my issue with it is that you need to either alt-tab to use it or run multiple monitors/PCs or run in a window.

Currently I use a program I made on the Ti-83 to calculate exact range and bearings from grid refs but to get my heights I believe I will use these, if they prove effective.

http://www.mediafire.com/imageview.p...gx4evx&thumb=4

I followed the process described in the first link above, but when I could not create a proper heightmap image I used the ones that come in the files in the second link, then manipulated them with the Wilbur software to the state it is now. I tried combining the sat photos and contour lines in Print Shop but was not pleased with my initial results. (Ièm new to the program) Obviously this does not attempt to imitate the detailed maps used in real life, nor is this even finished to the point of having the grids labeled, but the grids DO line up with those on the in-game maps. Each elevation step is 10 meters (assuming my math is right).

If these prove useful and anyone is interested, I will post subsequent maps in the first post of this thread. If you use this, feedback would be appreciated.

Also, (this seems to be turning out to be a day for me to learn what I don't know about forums) if someone could tell me how to properly embed a photo in my post it would be greatly appreciated. The url supplied is below.

http://www.mediafire.com/i/?496lgqoy3gx4evx

Strait /strāt/ (Noun) A narrow passage of water connecting two seas or two large areas of water: "the Northumberland Strait".

Comment

Originally posted by C_Elliott View Post
                        That's a pretty sweet job on that, but my issue with it is that you need to either alt-tab to use it or run multiple monitors/PCs or run in a window.
                        Yeah, but there's no solution, besides printing out pages, that will work for everyone.
                        Not everyone has multiple monitors, not everyone has a smartphone, not everyone has a smartphone with the same OS...

I would love to have the time to write an application for my iPhone that would do the same, if only for the practice.

Comment

Or make a web interface so you can use it from the xfire browser.
                          sigpic

Comment

I'd just make a simple printable version, give gray scale with very basic symbols for statics and overgrowth. Print it out and voila a simple but efficient tool for most practical uses in PR.

Comment

Originally posted by Ytman View Post
                              I'd just make a simple printable version, give gray scale with very basic symbols for statics and overgrowth. Print it out and voila a simple but efficient tool for most practical uses in PR.
                              Tell me what you think of this

http://www.mediafire.com/imageview.p...gvaeal&thumb=6

These take about 10-15 mins to make. Divisions are 10 meters. If interested I could create more.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X