The lag

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The lag

Can we nail this down? TG server, why do you dislike us so!?
    Q: How many members of Congress does it take to change a light bulb?
    A: None. There is nothing wrong with the light bulb; its conditions are improving every day. Any reports of its lack of incandescence are delusional spin from the liberal media. That light bulb has served honorably, and anything you say undermines the lighting effort. Why do you hate freedom?!?

Re: The lag

It just restarted by Warlabs hands.
    Rumor has it that it may be TG specific.

Comment

Just is sad to see it go from 40ish people on mumble to 13.......
      Last edited by ThirdSin; 10-29-2010, 10:34 PM. Reason: correction, 13, not 16
      A: None. There is nothing wrong with the light bulb; its conditions are improving every day. Any reports of its lack of incandescence are delusional spin from the liberal media. That light bulb has served honorably, and anything you say undermines the lighting effort. Why do you hate freedom?!?

Comment

TG specific? Hrm... Is the server old or outdated? Is the line crappy?
        sigpic

Comment

We all knew it would take a population hit when I restarted, but folks were reporting it was lag free afterwards.

|

Comment

Yeah I left thinking no admin was going to restart it anytime soon. Sucks I had nothing else to do tonight.

"All of you stay frickin high speed. All you stay on your frickin primaries and frickin slay bodies all day long. Good to go" -Combat Ninja lol

Comment

Quite frankly, it is only Tactical Gamer that I get the consistent, stuttering lag on. Considering I live but a dozen miles from the server, it is NOT my connection to it. Servers such as Big D and UKWF do not have this rubber-banding that TG seems to have. Perhaps the box has some sort of memory leak going on?
              Semper Fi, Marines.

Comment

The server should just be restarted as soon as the problem starts rather than "lets play this one out and see if its still on the next map". That's fine if its near the end of the map but not when the rounds has only just started.
                Also people keep saying "Its the map, its the map". Its really not, as I've even had lagg free sessions on the same maps on TG.

Could it be something to do with many high ping users connecting? (TG has usually the best gameplay in PR imo and it brings users in from all over the world), average ping is usually like 110 or so when I play at least.

Comment

Originally posted by LudacrisKill View Post
                  "Its the map, its the map". Its really not
                  On Wanda Shan/Qinling, it is. There's a lot of stuttering going on in the early phases of both of those maps.
                  (That's not to say a fresh server or a better server hardware-wise wouldn't handle it better, but that those two maps in particular are indeed notorious for startup lag on the server.)

Comment

I am sure an admin will jump in here and correct me if I am wrong, but the PR server we have is WELL above what is needed, and new as well. Doubt it is the server as such, more likely the maps. And I have had he same and worse on other servers.

Comment

Well, we did just get a new sexy server not long ago. We rejoiced. This must be software related somehow. Whatever it is, it would be nice to experience less often, or mitigate impact when it starts.
                      Originally posted by LudacrisKill View Post
                      The server should just be restarted as soon as the problem starts rather than "lets play this one out and see if its still on the next map".
                      Right on target i think.
                      The trouble is sometimes on some maps you can play through without the interruption of a restart. Not to mention you have a crew of buddies you are likely enjoying playing with. So it's slightly inconvenient either way.

I don't want to make this out to be more of an issue than it is. In the scheme of things, its minor and not frequent. But when it does occur its frustrating and takes alot away from my few hours in cyber land.

Comment

Yes from my understanding the new server is full bore with multiple bells and whistles, way above what we need to run PR.

Originally Posted by LudacrisKill

"Its the map, its the map". Its really not"

Sorry but how do you know? How much evidence have you gathered? Previous versions of PR had issues with vehicle spawn lag. Burning Sands definitely has some sort of problem, somewhere. Clearly identifying the cause is problematic, otherwise it would already be solved.

Personally I am guessing memory leak type thing, along the lines of the client side crashes fixed by medium textures, but that is a largely uneducated, wild ass guess. The problem is it could be a combination of factors which are hard to replicate.

Rest assured the admins discuss these issues, however simply restarting the server (soft restart) is not necessarily going to fix it. Fixes have to be tested, in much the same way as other theories must be tested, ie, play the map out a bit to rule out vehicle lag, spawn related lag, wobbly crate lag (yes I know but it happened), wobbly blowy up vehicle lag, temporary network issues etc.

A soft restart may fix nothing or tell you nothing. Sometimes a hard restart is required or needs to be tested. That ability is only available to a select few, like one or two people. Hence it is not always possible. Admins have lives, jobs and more important stuff to do, we cover what we can. The problem is not as straightforward as people seem to think, neither are the solutions. A temporary fix, if it even works, is just that.

We will look into it.

Comment

I'm going to hijack my own thread and continue discussion on something semi-related: Entire Team CTDs.

This is happening every so often. Traditionally, the other team takes advantage and moves up, takes flag, assaults cache, etc.
                          Is that lame of them? Sure. Should they do it? Well, I'd think no, but i don't know of any rules preventing them from doing so (i'm sure you could argue a few, i don't want to discuss that specifically now).

Why would we forward a map due to an entire team CTD?
                          Just happened on Ramiel. Yes, Blufor gained benefit and was able to get a previously unattainable cache (lame yes.) Oppfor complains, map gets forwarded...
                          I've seen this happen on AAS maps (and been on the CTD side), other team takes a flag, no restart....

All I want is some consistency. Please and Thank you. If it happens, and i know what to expect, that's fine. But when everything seems so capricious, it makes people (not just me) rage out for a stupid reason.

Comment

Personally, I'm more to the 'maps create the memory leaks' theory than much else.

I've played about two rounds of DragonFly with little to no rubber banding/stuttering. Conversly, I've played three of four rounds that lagged so bad that they had to be forwarded. Then comes Lashkar, which runs perfectly fine most often, but sometimes does not.

Perhaps, as some insight the above night was brought to you by the map rotation of; Iron Eagle--> Wanda Shan-->Lashkar

Comment

There are many problems with one side CTD'ing.

The obvious ones;
                              Opposite team takes advantage and moves up, killing well defended caches, abandoned vehs etc.
                              Team loses 30 tickets just like that because of all the people disc.

However the less obvious problems are why there really should be a restart after such a mass CTD.

When TG is full there are many people trying to get a spot on the server. All these people obviously DO get a spot after the CTD. The players that have rejoined after the CTD are now with a team with about 20 players that were CTD'd and the rest newcomers. The team will find it hard to reorganise the sqds and figure what the hell to do next.
                              Many people just don't rejoin as they see as the map already lost and feel that the other team will probably take too much advantage of the CTD.
                              Its a really crap feeling coming back into the server and seeing only one squad and only 5 people spawned in, the cache you have just defended for 50mins is going down and your friends are either queueing again to get in or saying they will join next round.

I believe this problem is PR bug related and so I imagine the problem will be fixed asap anyway.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X