Why no jets ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why no jets ?

TG server has every type of map on the maplist generally.Heavily unbalanced maps(barracuda/basrah/archer),small maps (fallujah/ashad khal/kokan), overplayed relatively old maps such as the "de_dust" of PR (muttrah),problematic maps which push the limits of baserape concept and or rules of TG (kokan), maps with inf layout ,at least 3 assault chopper vs. assault chopper maps(iron eagle/wanda/kashan 32/quinling 32/burning sands, trivia: AC vs. AC engagements happened only a few times IRL ,and only during Iran-Iraq War) But when it comes to maps with jets , i almost never see 1 such map on that list.

I've been playing almost every evening on TG since 0.95 was released but i only saw jet maps on ML for 2 days in total That's 2/3 days in almost 3 weeks.

What is the reason behind this ?

* Jets are overpowered ? Not anymore,they have to expose themselves to bomb/missile stuff.

* Jets are wasted ? On average more assault choppers are wasted without actually doing anything. Because there is always 2x2 of them. And to me ,it seems only around %10 of them actually do help their team.

* Maps are too small for jets ? That should be a concern for the pilot. If you find the maps too small for jets, solution is simple,dont take a jet.

* Jet maps are old maps , people want new maps ? See above.

* Jets do not require any TW to use efficiently so they do their own stuff ? On contrary, jets can only shoot down enemy jets on their own,for everything else they need assistance from the ground. But A.C. can choose to fly S&D type missions.

* Jets engage targets from far away,you shouldn't be able to see them IRL ? So are the assault choppers,they have weapon ranges up to 8 km ,also see a-10 and su-25 videos from Russia/Georgia war. Also iirc 1 f-16 crashed/shotdown in IRaq while strafing a target during 2004-2008 period. Also JDAM.

* Admins and/or TG regulars like to fly assault choppers instead of jets ? ...

What is the harm in putting 1 jet map once in a while ,to a 10 map ML which is changed 2-3 times a week ? Especially since both their weapons and general mechanics had changed so much ?

Summary: Instead of kashan 32, put 1 jet map. We already have quite few A.C vs. A.C maps already.

Re: Why no jets ?

It might have something to do with 99% of people thinking jets aren't fun*.

*Source: 2010 Pew Research Center double blind study of absolutely every PR player.
    |TG-Irr| Dreadnought
    sigpic

If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One --
    I am become Death, the shatterer of Worlds.

-J. Robert Oppenheimer, lead scientist of Manhattan Project quoting Bhagavad Gita

Comment

Originally posted by Dreadnought View Post
      It might have something to do with 99% of people thinking jets aren't fun*.

*Source: 2010 Pew Research Center double blind study of absolutely every PR player.
      Pretty much, it usually ends up with one team having a superior pilot and raping the other team. One jet can ruin another teams day. AA is about useless against a skilled pilot. The only time I get AA kills is if the pilot screws up.

"All of you stay frickin high speed. All you stay on your frickin primaries and frickin slay bodies all day long. Good to go" -Combat Ninja lol

Comment

You realize they nerfed jets in the new version? Maybe we should give them a try to see if they can still dominate the battlefield alone, which i doubt.
        sigpic

Comment

How did they nerf them?

"All of you stay frickin high speed. All you stay on your frickin primaries and frickin slay bodies all day long. Good to go" -Combat Ninja lol

Comment

Removal of the training server is the jet nerf
            |TG-Irr| Dreadnought
            sigpic

If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One --

-J. Robert Oppenheimer, lead scientist of Manhattan Project quoting Bhagavad Gita

Comment

They have to be within visual range to acquire lock for their weapons. No longer can they drop bombs from space without the risk of dying.

Removed the ability of aircraft LGB's to acquire lock after the bomb is dropped (pilot must hear lock audio for the bomb to guide).
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Kruder View Post
                I've been playing almost every evening on TG since 0.95 was released but i only saw jet maps on ML for 2 days in total That's 2/3 days in almost 3 weeks.

What is the reason behind this ?
                Obviously it is a conspiracy.

Or.

It's just the way things have worked out. We've had plenty of jet maps in the past and will continue to do so. The problem with jets is that they appear on a few maps, most of which people can't stand for a variety of reasons:

) Kashan. I can already hear the groans from the people reading the name of this map.
                ) Silent Eagle. I believe there are some issues with overall balance on this map, not the least of which is the lack of AT kits for infantry (unless this was fixed in a python patch that I'm simply not aware of).
                ) QinLing. The last time we ran this map it ended in 10 minutes. So many players despise this map (not sure why but I really don't care to debate it's pros and cons) that the grief the admins take over even mentioning it in the map list is enough to make us not want to run it.

What else has jets? I can't think of anything off-hand to be honest, but if I'm missing one I'm sure I'll hear about it.

In addition to all of the above, the simple fact is that with the .95 release there have been several new maps released and the truth of the matter is that people want to play the new maps more than they want to revisit maps that they've played to death for 2 years and/or simply can't stand. As such, the TG Air Force hasn't really been scrambled a lot lately.

"You milsim guys are ruining the game."

Comment

Originally posted by Buflak View Post
                  They have to be within visual range to acquire lock for their weapons. No longer can they drop bombs from space without the risk of dying.
                  That too
                  |TG-Irr| Dreadnought
                  sigpic

Comment

On every maps with jets,you have AAVs with the exception of German team on silent eagle. But then again you have 2 superior jets against 1 mig.And as you know,AAVs have better AA missiles compared to MANPADs or deployable AAs. They use the same type of AA missile as choppers and jets do. Jets can not bomb anything from 4k anymore as posted twice above and also there are no more 3d markers.

In short, jets are utterly dependent on troops on the ground for any type of kill except aerial kills. Much much more dependent than havocs,kiowas ,attack hueys and other scout choppers. If the other team feeds the jets with intel and lases and if the jet pilots are good and experienced,then you'll end up pwning the other team. But it won't be because of jets but rather because of TW and skill,which is and should be normal.

Originally posted by d1sp0sabl3H3r0 View Post

It's just the way things have worked out. We've had plenty of jet maps in the past and will continue to do so. The problem with jets is that they appear on a few maps, most of which people can't stand for a variety of reasons:

) Kashan. I can already hear the groans from the people reading the name of this map.
                    But as i've posted , we have kashan 32 most of the time on the maplist along with other 3 assault chopper vs. assault chopper maps.

Comment

That sounds like a huge improvement.

Comment

I have a joystick and I'm not afraid to use it. I like to play with it every once in awhile, but I generally don't get the opportunity on the TG server anyway.

Comment

Solution (Dev side): Make a Iron Eagle jets layer. It's not impossible to land on those runways.
                          Whether by air or on land
                          foes crumble at my command.

JaFaR Ironclad, at your service.

Comment

I hope the nerfing of the jets does tone them down in game.
                            They've always been to powerful.
                            It'll be interesting to hear how the new visual lock pans out in play.
                            But for me the worst thing about them, considering our quest for realism, is that they are trapped in a 4km box the entire round. Possibly the least realistic element in the BF2 engine is its handling of jets.

|

Comment

I dont know if the devs fixed this yet but on silent eagle the german fighter-bomber is bugged. When me and Xsoldier tried it out no matter what combination we jumped in it always said to properly crew the vehicle.
                              sigpic

Do you really want invincible bears running around raping your churches and burning your women?

Intel i7 3930k @ 4.4ghz, 8gb RAM, 2x GTX 570 1gb, OCZ Vertex 3 120 gig SSD

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X