What makes PR fun for you?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What makes PR fun for you?

I've been spending some time thinking today, and I think it's important that we all understand where we all get pleasure from playing this game, in this community. Perhaps if we can all share our idea of a fun round, and more importantly what keeps bringing us back every day (or however often) then maybe we'll get a better understanding of the frustrations some people might feel in this community. Even if we don't, I still think it's a fun conversation to have.

I'll start:

For me, I could care less about the win or the loss of an individual round. What is really important for me is being able to be a gear in the machine, so to speak, or a cog in the wheel. I derive my enjoyment from working with others to accomplish a goal. Nothing really feels better than that, knowing that you are part of something a little bigger than yourself and contributing to the success of the team. I also enjoy having a squad that is firing on all cylinders, following orders and moving with me, doing as I ask and making suggestions for perhaps a different tact where appropriate.

However, the main reason I continue to play this game, on this server, is the community and specifically the people within the community. I think we're pretty lucky to have it, and I know I'm lucky to have such great people, from all over the world, that I can count on as friends on this server. I come back for the laughs, the clever little quips and the camaraderie that I have with the people here.

That is why I play this game, for these experiences and the people, not the W or the L.

What about you?

"You milsim guys are ruining the game."

Re: What makes PR fun for you?

A loss can sometimes demoralise me a bit but if I'm playing with competent people, and at least doing our bit right, that makes it fun for me. Furthermore, in those situations I'm obliged to laugh more at my own death and failures and just view them as unfortunate but funny happenings. If we can catch some time away from the combat (such as mortars or defending an objective) it always makes me feel good to have a casual chat with squad members about certain issues in the game or of the day, save some. Just casual interaction with laughs and just something to take me away from all the nonsense that can happen in-game.

sigpic

Comment

I like to play at TG since it allows me to play with friends and have some fun now and then. I like the different discussions now and then between different people from different countries. One of my major hobbies is travelling, a community with so many players around the world gives me new insights and perspectives I would normally not come across!

On the server playing PR I really not care (to much ;)) if I win or not. I have had many nice good rounds which I have lost. The fun moments, the nice tactics that work and the nice people is what attracts me to TG.

Comment

I like to play TG because I truly am a follower, and there is never a shortage of good SL's who are willing to deal with the fact that I'm not that great at computer games. I can consistently have fun and follow orders, even if I do die often, i know I'm giving it my all and I usually do get praised for the good things I do...

One thing I cannot stand however is when my squad gets into a hairy situation and everyone dies, and the SL literally SCREAMS at the top of his lungs that we are all failures and we are no good etc. I usually have to call it a night after that.

Comment

Im not the most social guy in PR because Im not really good at english and I have enough of social life at home and at work, but I do like to talk to new people somedays. For me having fun at PR isnt about humour or making new 'friend', its about playing the game the way it is, doesnt matter the role or who im playing with, doesnt matter if we loose or win, though I dont like to be over capped quickly. I just like to play the game and smoke some illegal stuff and drink beer when I feel the buzz going down .lol Thats why I enjoy doing chopper task or recently mortars. It give me breaks in between action.
          sigpic

Any problem on Earth can be solved with the careful application of high explosives.

Comment

When a plan comes together and everyone is communicating. I just played on the HOG server and everyone was running around like chickens with their heads cut off. Unbearable.
            sigpic

Comment

I like to play TG due to the great community that it has provided ever since I stumbled upon it. It has never stopped providing it either, which is why I keep coming back. I could care less about winning or losing as well. What my hopes and expectations of a match is a long, drawn out and hard fought game. When my squad, especially when I'm leading it, does well in a match, it makes me feel so fantastic and upbeat. Also only on TG can you get random happenings that you just cannot stop laughing about for a long time. Be it hilarious deaths, glitches(not exploits) that are just so screwed up that you HAVE to fraps or screenshot it, etc. Only on TG. Only in PR.
              Blackpython / ZephyrDark
              Former 31st RECCE Member

Comment

Originally posted by Spitfire14 View Post
                When a plan comes together and everyone is communicating. I just played on the HOG server and everyone was running around like chickens with their heads cut off. Unbearable.
                Yeah PR can either be horrible or amazing experience. I dont think this game will ever go main stream or be popular because it requires teamwork and communication to be fun. When the team communicates, and works together, even if we are losing, Im still having a good time. If it wasnt for the TG server I probably wouldnt play PR.

"All of you stay frickin high speed. All you stay on your frickin primaries and frickin slay bodies all day long. Good to go" -Combat Ninja lol

Comment

i like to have fun with friends i have met here, play in a good squad, be part of a well oiled machine. i like to be immersed in the game and to make it as real as possible. as for win or lose...well...i would rather play in a good squad and lose than play in a bad squad and win.

Comment

Hands down the first thing is you guys, my friends.
                    Second is the teamwork and tactics.
                    :)

|

Comment

For me, I get to learn something new almost everyday when I play this game. Whether I'm learning something new about the game mechanics, strategies, or people, I get to keep learning and keep growing as a gamer and as an individual. Plus, they update this game once or twice a year which just keeps the fun going for me. It's always new.

The game is also very difficult and I like the challenge. I like the military "quasi" realism. I've always been a huge military history buff and this game is right up my alley.

I keep playing at TG because we have a player base here who isn't afraid to geek out and get into the game; i.e. follow orders, use appropriate communication, and are mature (for the most part).

I also like the intellectualism that this community provides. I like that there are well thought out arguments regarding strategy, history and other fun facts as they relate to the game.

I keep coming back because I have more good games than bad.

Comment

Personally? I hate the game, i just like visiting the forums to see when the 10th Guard is going to use for new avatar theme! (Guidettes this month?)

All kidding aside, the community is a big thing for me. Teamwork/Cooperation is a big thing with me. Maturity is a big thing with me. The content of the game? All secondary. The community is what makes this fun for me.
                        Q: How many members of Congress does it take to change a light bulb?
                        A: None. There is nothing wrong with the light bulb; its conditions are improving every day. Any reports of its lack of incandescence are delusional spin from the liberal media. That light bulb has served honorably, and anything you say undermines the lighting effort. Why do you hate freedom?!?

Comment

I like to play with my buddies, i dont really have fun with people i dont like.. I rather not play. Mostly the TG server makes it fun because of the quality of gameplay, and teamwork. Also i love to see things blow up when i fire my HAT. Always.
                          -oG.WarrioR-

|?|

Comment

The elements of PR that made it fun for me has evolved over time.

When I first started playing Project Reality almost three and a half years ago, I was a total noob. I mean, I was one of those players who had total disregard for most of the rules TG has in place to keep order in place. Lines for assets? Psssh, screw that. I have a very vivid memory of jumping into a MEC littlebird on Kashan, firing that baby up and taking off into the sunset with absolutely NO plan on what to do with it. I flew around some mountains, shot at some people (most likely friendly units), and then took a fantastic nose dive into the yellow sands of some desert in Northern Iran. It was a truly glorious moment in lonewolfing history. I don't recall if this happened on the TG server. If it did, I'm lucky I wasn't banned for being a complete smacktard. Apparently, I found myself on the TG server one day and in fact had an enjoyable experience, as reflected by my first post EVER on these forums:

Originally posted by Rtoups View Post
                            Well I am new. I just started playing PR (in general) yesterday, and I love your server. Everybody talks! It is awesome!
                            Yup, it WAS awesome. But, it obviously wasn't awesome enough for me because I stopped playing PR like...10 days later or something.

Fast forward a year and a half, and something happened. It may have been those 10 days of previous PR experience calling out to me from deep inside my heart, but it was probably a really cool and shiny Project Reality trailer I found on youtube while trying to find funny cat videos or something. Either way, I reinstalled PR and came back to the TG server. The last time I was here I was a noob, but this time was different. I was determined to change the way I played PR.

And that I did. I participated in a TGU Basic Armor training session. I fought in scrims, both internal and external. I even got to coordinate AND name "Operation Honey Badger", and impromptu tactical insertion during a round of Kashan 16, footage of which can be seen here. I started playing tactically. And because of this change, I discovered the true fun that could be had with Project Reality.

I no longer wanted to play like a bored 5 year old, flying a littlebird around Kashan. I now wanted to maximize the tactical possibilities of PR and TG. I joined the Irregulars, which was the gateway for me joining the 69th. I now had a PR gang to run around causing havok with. Many nights of fun were had playing with the 69th and the Quu guys on the TG server.

Those nights of fun continued on for over a year, and then something changed. Even now when I look back, I can't figure out what it is. I just became bored with PR. The rounds were too long. There was too much sitting around waiting for some enemy to walk by my IED or for a tank to come blazing into the sights of my HAT. I don't know what it was, but I began to resort to shenanigans to restore the fun. I would participate in all kinds of stupid helicopter insertions or just round around with a sniper rifle shooting whoever I saw, with no regard for the objective. And I was totally content with that.

Eventually not even that could sustain my attention, and with the death of my gaming rig and my move to DC to start college, PR in my life died indefinitely.

Comment

I only play it because of the friends I have made on the server. I used to purely lone wolf most of time, as I didn't like playing with others at first. Then I started playing with others, got myself a MIC... and here I am. (A long time ago)

But yeah, playing with friends, makes me enjoy PR most. I can play with others I don't know as long as they are playing decently or following my orders or the squads orders etc.

Don't fight a battle if you don't gain anything by winning.
                              Erwin Rommel

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X