Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does PR work with the steam version of BF2?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does PR work with the steam version of BF2?

Hey everyone, I'm thinking about buying BF2 and getting PR because sadly, *sniff* the 2142 servers are going through a rough time.

So my title really explains the question. Does PR work with the Steam version of the game?

*Edit* Oh and I have one more question. How do unlocks work in BF2 and PR. Can you still rank up in PR and get the unlocks or are the unlocks automatically given to you in PR?
    sigpic

Re: Does PR work with the steam version of BF2?

Hey Jetheren! As far as i know PR does work with steam you just have to import it into steam and launch it with steam. I can double check right away but like i said im pretty sure you can. As for unlocks and stuff, with BF2 its almost exactly the same as 2142 but in PR there are no unlocks or anything like that. You just play the game and special guns and other things like that you request from a supply crate but its completely seperate from the ranking system. Its kind of confusing to type but when you get in game youll know what im talking about.

Edit* yeah i just tried it, it works. Just go into steam library and press add game > non steam game then it will bring up a list and when you have PR/BF2 installed they should show up. Just check the boxes next to them and then add game. After that it should work no problem. However i have to mention that punkbuster is really finicky when it comes to steam as an overlay. I used to get kicked all the time while using steam as an overlay. So be wary of that fact. For all i know though punkbuster updated so that steam isnt blocked. The only way to know is to try it. Hope this helped
    sigpic

Do you really want invincible bears running around raping your churches and burning your women?

Intel i7 3930k @ 4.4ghz, 8gb RAM, 2x GTX 570 1gb, OCZ Vertex 3 120 gig SSD

Comment

Thanks for the quick response gijoe! That is excellent news, I was afraid that I would have to play vanilla BF2 to get unlocks, and it doesn't look like TG runs a vanilla server anymore (well at least from the impressions I get from the activeness of the BF2 vanilla forum).
      sigpic

Comment

Yeah, unlocks would totally cramp some people's style of creating a new name every day.
        |TG-Irr| Dreadnought
        sigpic

If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One --
        I am become Death, the shatterer of Worlds.

-J. Robert Oppenheimer, lead scientist of Manhattan Project quoting Bhagavad Gita

Comment

There are MANY different guns in PR and you don't need to unlock any of them, but you will want to read the manual and listen to your squad leader. Otherwise, you will hate this game the first time you get kicked from a server for not joining a squad.

I would avoid Steam at all costs. I hate that thing. You can get the game for super cheap at most Walmarts, Best Buys, etc. Or online for $7 or $8. It's worth waiting a few days for a hard copy.

Comment

Yeah, don't get the Steam version, I have it and there's a lot of problems. Mostly from locking up, but there are other problems that I probably haven't ran into yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Jetheren View Post
              *Edit* Oh and I have one more question. How do unlocks work in BF2 and PR. Can you still rank up in PR and get the unlocks or are the unlocks automatically given to you in PR?
              There aren't ranks or unlocks in PR.

BF2 = Individual
              PR = Team

"You milsim guys are ruining the game."

Comment

Weapons are totally different in PR. Handle differently, more accurate, do more damage, shoot further. Whole different ballgame.

Comment

Originally posted by Axis_Sniper View Post
                  Yeah, don't get the Steam version, I have it and there's a lot of problems. Mostly from locking up, but there are other problems that I probably haven't ran into yet.
                  Hmm, not sure I've noticed any difference personally. I lost my original CD+KEY... bought BF2 on Steam and it works the same as before! There were a few problems at the start, such as getting rid of the overlay as PB kicks you, but all in all it works the same in my experience.

Don't fight a battle if you don't gain anything by winning.
                  Erwin Rommel

Comment

Also there are no unlocks in PR
                    |TG-Irr| Dreadnought
                    sigpic

If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One --
                    I am become Death, the shatterer of Worlds.

-J. Robert Oppenheimer, lead scientist of Manhattan Project quoting Bhagavad Gita

Comment

If you haven't bought BF2 already, consider the fact that the version on Steam is the "deluxe pack" or whatever, none of which is needed to play PR, effectively wasting like $20, and the Steam overlay must be turned off when you want to play BF2. It would be much cheaper to buy the original discs for around $8 on Amazon or finding it at a local retail store.

As for PR itself, if you have some patience to wait through the slow parts, you'll be rewarded by some of the most intense gaming experiences you can find these days.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthPlum View Post
                        Hmm, not sure I've noticed any difference personally. I lost my original CD+KEY... bought BF2 on Steam and it works the same as before! There were a few problems at the start, such as getting rid of the overlay as PB kicks you, but all in all it works the same in my experience.
                        Lucky you, I had to turn off the intro because it locks up my computer, and I can't view the server browser for more than 5 minutes at a time without risk of it locking up

Comment

Originally posted by d1sp0sabl3H3r0 View Post
                          There aren't ranks or unlocks in PR.

BF2 = Individual
                          PR = Team
                          It's more that EA would be really sore if they started allowing modifications on the ranking/ladder system of vanilla BF2. If they did, it would quickly get out of hand like the edited maps in Killing Floor that people used to zoom up the progress and unlock all ranks in a few hours, or the achievement servers in TF2 to unlock all the weapons.

<04:11:24> *** You are now talking in channel: "TFP - Task Force Proteus"
                          <04:16:25> "|TG-XV| Tralic": this channel is so gay
                          DICE needs to make a comical boxing glove attached to a spring punch the player in the face 40% of the time they get into a helicopter or jet.

Comment

I have BF2 on Steam, not having any issues but you must disable Steam Overlay or you will have issues with punkbuster kicking you.

I agree with others that if you can find BF2 in a retail store or on amazon, go with that since its cheaper (<10$) and wont have any issues, but if thats not an option Steam BF2 will work okay.

Comment

Yea, going with some previous posts, PR is not like 2142. It is not run and gun. It is not vanilla. Don't expect it to be. If you're expecting to be pulling the trigger more than often than not, don't even bother installing, it's not for you. Just layin it out there.
                              Q: How many members of Congress does it take to change a light bulb?
                              A: None. There is nothing wrong with the light bulb; its conditions are improving every day. Any reports of its lack of incandescence are delusional spin from the liberal media. That light bulb has served honorably, and anything you say undermines the lighting effort. Why do you hate freedom?!?

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X