new people to PR

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new people to PR

lately there has been a spike of new people coming to TG lately.. and ive seen some people on our server treating them badly.. cmon guys we were once new to this game. instead of slapping them with a go read the manual how about helping them on there problems.. also not all people can open the manual ( i was one of them :( )

anywho all im saying is to just help out the noobs :) they will once be epically good at this game..
    Excuse me can i have your attention for just a second?

Thank you *trollface*

The Master Teamkiller

Re: new people to PR

I would hate to see TG turn into a training server. You should come to TG when you are good and ready and should not burden the rest of the community with annoying questions about how to request kits and why cant i fly a chopper with a sniper kit. instead of teaching people how to do things over allchat or teamchat get into their squad and give them this link. After telling them to read the manual of course.

TGU: http://www.tacticalgamer.com/battlef...uncements.html
    -oG.WarrioR-

|?|

Comment

Good point Forrest, we can all be a bit impatient. Warrior I agree with one comment you make at least. Get the new guy in your squad, then help him, show him the ropes.

A little help goes a long way, being offish or downright hostile to people new to TG is not really what we are about. Communities need new blood. We all start somewhere.

Comment

Only thing Ive noticed with TG's rules vs other servers is that when they scroll across the top the text is small and it usually only shows 3 and on because it scrolls fast. Ive seen other servers scroll the rules slowly and in big text by each rule, that may help new people, but annoying for others.

"All of you stay frickin high speed. All you stay on your frickin primaries and frickin slay bodies all day long. Good to go" -Combat Ninja lol

Comment

I will say that one of the things that drew me to TG was that a few SLs took the time during the match to point me in the right direction when I was a newbie. It doesnt have to turn into a classroom event, just show a few small things here and there and they will catch on. Think of it as grooming future team mates and worthy opponents.

Comment

Well most people dont know what PR is like. If somebody has a lot of question, one should stress that it is very important to read the manual and to approach the game slowly, doing simple roles before applying for commander.

Comment

Many don't mind helping and guiding the new kids. You just need to know they are new, and they need to be willing to listen. So, on our part, we can ask our green troops if anyone is new and needs some extra guidance. And warn them up front, they are to listen to your orders, or they can find another squad.

I do the 'advisory' at the start of the round with my men probably 90% of the time, I tell them quite simply 'I'm glad to have you in my squad, but by being here you agree to ThirdSin's terms and conditions of listening and executing my orders to a T. You are more than welcome to join another squad if you want to do your own thing. But that's not happening in here. Comprende?' - I'm sensitive to our spanish speaking friends, as you can see.
              Q: How many members of Congress does it take to change a light bulb?
              A: None. There is nothing wrong with the light bulb; its conditions are improving every day. Any reports of its lack of incandescence are delusional spin from the liberal media. That light bulb has served honorably, and anything you say undermines the lighting effort. Why do you hate freedom?!?

Comment

Originally posted by OriginalWarrior View Post
                I would hate to see TG turn into a training server. You should come to TG when you are good and ready and should not burden the rest of the community with annoying questions about how to request kits and why cant i fly a chopper with a sniper kit. instead of teaching people how to do things over allchat or teamchat get into their squad and give them this link. After telling them to read the manual of course.

TGU: http://www.tacticalgamer.com/battlef...uncements.html
                I don't find it annoying at all when people join my squad and ask questions. At least they want to learn rather than be stubborn like a good percentage of people I run across. Alot of people have 1/2 the answer on how things work. If they have a learning attitude I'll help them learn.
                sigpic

Comment

You did not have to quote me.. because i didnt say i dont like helping people in my squad. I was saying i dont like when one person has to ask 62+ people the same question. Now ive been playing PR a VERY VERY long time. I pay attention to the chat because its very helpful to know information about enemy movements, yet people constanly distract me with bs chat that does not belong on a TG server. TG is ..IMHO.. an elite server. Where the best of the best come to play, and the best of the best win.

Now everyone has their opinions, but its been proven that any other PR community put againts TG will get demolished absolutley.

I dont mind new players at all. I may sound like a complete ass for this but why cant people learn to play in their own expense. Its like the few annoying people who constantly join mumble and force center "what team is this" before joining the game!

i am probably 80years old in "PR" years.. like dog years, and just want people off my damn lawn.
                  -oG.WarrioR-

|?|

Comment

I hate the 'What team it is' question... I've read somewhere that it's highly impolite and thus never did it. If you can't force yourself to take the time to look at a couple of names in your team and then join the right channel... just don't.
                    What's even worse is that those people, if they don't get an answer straight away, keep asking for minutes instead of taking 3 seconds to look at the friggin names!
                    (Asking in chat or the squad channel what team we are on is different for me though... it doesn't affect the whole team, comms are not disturbed, it's alright. There's nothing worse than some guy yelling over your squad comms cause he's not linked in mumble)

Warrior, I don't know... Learn to play in their own expense?
                    Well, we are a community, are we not? I've learned to play on TG (Still learning). I didn't ask questions ALL THE TIME cause I do believe I have something like common sense and am polite enough to not annoy people with my curiosity. I've tried to ask questions when they are important and situation related. (Of course it helped that I've played quite a lot of BF2 back in the day)
                    But what do you expect from people? If they are interested in TG or want to play on the TG server, should they first start out in another community just to be gifted with the priviledge to play here on TG? Sounds a bit unrealistic.

AND... If TG is, as you claim - and I think you're absolutely right -, an elite server, shouldn't it be out responsibility to act like elite gamers and pass on the knowledge and experience we've gained?
                    Chat spam is of course a problem, but I don't really think that that's merely a non-TG thing. It's SMs, Regs, Irregs, Noobs and even admins alike.
                    Project your rant on the attitude, not on a group of players who are an easy target ;)
                    (1337 gamers shouldn't go for easy targets anyways x])
                    sigpic

Comment

agree, whenever i ask you guys how to take sniper kit, you always flame me :/

Comment

Originally posted by OriginalWarrior View Post
                        TG is ..IMHO.. an elite server.
                        I am pleased that you stated that this was just your opinion because the TG primer states nothing of this nature. What it does state is that we are a mature and respectful community, which IMHO means that we are open, happy and willing to help newcomers. TG is nothing whatsoever to do with being elite.

Edit: For clarification, I shall provide a link to the primer.

Comment

You're absolutley right Forrest! The new people that come to PR and ask questions should not be met with distaste, rather welcoming arms.

From personal experience, when I found PR, I didn't read the manual at first. I just thought that it was just another run and gun game, because I hadn't been a part of something bigger in a game before. I remember playing on random servers having "mortar squads" filled up with grenadiers shooting everywhere, and I did some HAT-sniping myself. After a while I stumbled upon the TG server which had teamwork and maturity, I hadn't witnessed in a game before. The squadleaders in the squads I joined were constantly helpfull, and never looked down on anyone. I soon went to the forums and found this great community based on maturity and respect to one another.

TG has formed me to the gamer, and parlty person I am today. If it wasn't for the openminded, patient, and skilled people here at TG I wouldn't be here with you guys. I would probably be playing COD on a deathmatch server somewhere. I guess what I'm saying is that if you get in touch and talk to the new guys asking questions over all chat they might turn out to be great guys. After a while that rookie might become a great addition to the community, and pass on his (or her) knowledge onto others just like you had once showed them before. Lead by example.

Damn this is an emotional post, time to get online and shoot stuff!
                          Last edited by Crawlingeye; 12-19-2010, 02:37 PM.
                          ​​​​​​​

Comment

I'm happy to help newcomers if they are willing to learn. When i started playing PR i took the time to read the manual and a lot of forums, and i didn't ask questions that has likely been answered on the internet already.
                            If a new guy is too lazy to spend a few hours searching and reading then i will be too lazy to teach him. It's all about the attitude.

I partly agree with Warrior. TG provides an advanced level of gameplay, one that you need a certain basic knowledge to enjoy. Mostly there is simply no time to teach someone the very basics a.k.a type the manual in squadchat. There is so much to learn in PR, ingame is not the best place to pass on that knowledge.

I saw new players open threads with questions and never hesitated to help if i could, but when i'm gaming i can't be bothered to give a detailed explanation on how the game works. I had newbies join my squad saying they are new but have read the manual, i was happy to show them what's not in there and how TG works, the bigger picture and the importance of teamwork.
                            In my opinion that's what this community is about, taking the worthy to the next level. The guys interested only in flying choppers with sniper kits can go somewhere else.
                            sigpic

Comment

Oh dear, who decides who's worthy. As an admin I expect new players to be welcomed with open arms not an elitist attitude. You know when TG was really 'elite', when we had great squad leaders who passed on knowledge in game. Everybody plays their first round sometime, not everybody does very well reading the manual.

I am so disappointed in the tone and 'attitude' displayed in this thread however it speaks volumes about the 'quality' we have at the moment and why population is down, perhaps even why the scrim turnout was so low. When we had a surfeit of really great SL's who were open to teaching new players every round the server was ram-packed all hours. Now we apparently have people 'representing TG' who prefer to tell people to read the manual. What a shame. I miss the days when we had real leaders round here who thought of others and the community before themselves and didn't consider welcoming and teaching new players a waste of time.

Nothing like investing in the future hey guys, or simply being a good representative of TG, bravo, well done.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X