Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air Battle for Qinling

Hey folks,

I resubmitted this thread so I could add a poll... how do I do polls? If it's moderator-side only, I've put the poll options below for you guys to manually add a poll.

I'm working on a variant layer of Battle for Qinling for candidacy on a TG Scenario PW night. The layer will feature jet assets only, along with a rescue helicopter and (if popularly demanded by people posting here) an AAV or two. If you'd like to hop in on potential testing sessions for this map, post here (they'd be on the TG private server, pending admin approval).

If you have interest in playing on this map, feel free to vote in the poll above on what asset distribution would work/feel best for you.

Bear in mind when voting:
    -Tornadoes are slightly faster than Su-30's, but have no throttle indicators and no Alt-fire lookups on their views (I.E. if you press alt-fire while on a 7, 8, or 9 view it defaults to straight forward rather than showing a higher angle)
    -Eurofighters and J-10's respond more slowly to throttle commands than F-16's and MiG-29's, but are somewhat faster overall.
    -There will be enough spawns of each aircraft for a full server to get in the air.

Poll options:
    1. Pure EF vs. J10, or with max 4 additional two-seaters per side
    2. Half EF Half Tornado vs. Half J10 half Su30
    3. 1/3 EF 2/3 Tornado vs. 1/3 J10 2/3 Su30
    4. 1/2 EF 1/2 F16 vs 1/2 J10 1/2 MiG29
    5. Pure F16 vs MiG29
    6. Pure two-seaters
    7. Other
    Whether by air or on land
    foes crumble at my command.

JaFaR Ironclad, at your service.

Re: Air Battle for Qinling

not everyone can fly, :( and while quinling may SEEM big, with 32 aircraft in the air, it will be crazy crowded. not the mention the ppl sitting at main waiting for respwans.

Comment

Remember that there's about 3300 igm (in-game meters) of effective altitude, and that flying off the map doesn't kill you for about 2 minutes.

The map has been modified with a doubled view distance (temporary, we'll see how it affects performance; trees and statics not rendering while in visual range is not a problem for an air combat custom event). Also, the aircraft spawns have "10" seconds in between each aircraft spawning (this basically resolves into "as the first plane begins taxiing, another one spawns as soon as it leaves the spot).

If there's a LOT of people who want to participate but can't pilot, I'll consider having more two-seaters so people can ride shotgun. Also, being commander is going to be SUPER BUSY on this event; they'd be acting as ATC.
      Last edited by JaFaR Ironclad; 12-18-2010, 10:13 PM.

Comment

1) 16 jets in the air alone would be crowded. 32? Nonsense. 60? I don't even...
        2) 3000m of altitude doesn't mean much. A jet can traverse 2 kilometers of space in less than 5 seconds. Combine that with the sheer number of jets in the air, and it's just become CoD deathmatch where everyone can only move forward at 1000m/s
        3) If nearly everyone is in the air, there will be no reason for two seaters. Anti-Air missiles are solely controlled by the pilot, the second seat in two pilot aircraft can only fire bombs and AGMs.

There is so much thought missing here.

Comment

i understand what hes going for, but it wasent though all the way though.

Comment

That would be sweet, Air traffic control squads and everything.

"All of you stay frickin high speed. All you stay on your frickin primaries and frickin slay bodies all day long. Good to go" -Combat Ninja lol

Comment

I applaud the "creativity", but are you high?
              Q: How many members of Congress does it take to change a light bulb?
              A: None. There is nothing wrong with the light bulb; its conditions are improving every day. Any reports of its lack of incandescence are delusional spin from the liberal media. That light bulb has served honorably, and anything you say undermines the lighting effort. Why do you hate freedom?!?

Comment

This is an awesome idea. Make the map Jafar, make it and use your supporting membership to reserve the TG private server.

Those who don't want to come don't have to.

Comment

Hypothetically, would this work better on an 8 km map?

Comment

Of course. Place water everywhere, and a 3 minute out of bounds timer... win.

Comment

this is awesome, let me know when and where, GO SIDEWINDERS

.... on another note, just think how much training this would do, people that cant fly would be able to learn, and not be worried that someone would be snapping at them for wasting the asset, or people pissed because they always get shot down, from lack of dog fighting experience, this is a really good idea with tones of potential, it is just what you make out of it afterwords.
                      sigpic

Comment

I have little potential for mapping talent, nor the system resources required to make the map. Is there anyone that would be willing to make the 8km map? All it needs is two small islands/peninsulas with duplicates of the Silent Eagle Russian base on each end (and a fair amount of tarmac for parked aircraft). Nothing complex after that.

Comment

If you can update assets and map resources, look into the Wake Island map put down by Combined Arms minimod. It has two "full size" carriers (several normal carriers spliced together). Last I heard, they did have the catapult system in place and working, as well as the arresting wires, in addition to working aircraft elevators operated by networked buttons, halving the space required for storing/launching aircraft. If these things are no longer working, it could be as simple as adding a few more carrier bits together, or raising an airfield from the sea.

I assume that you can update one map from another, but I will be taking a much more in depth look at mapping this evening when I get home from work to see how I can help.

The best ideas in video games are almost always impulsive in my experience.

Ninja edit, not worth another post or bump.

My computer is insufficient to do any 4x4 editing, let alone 8x8. Great apologies.
                          Last edited by mat552; 12-19-2010, 09:44 PM.

Comment

jafar, i did some fooling around with the map creator, i am going to load it up, and refresh my memory, and lets see how long it takes me to figure this out, no promises
                            sigpic

Comment

#4, it would work, might want to only have 12 on 12 jets though. I've always thought it'd be more interesting if pilots had wingmen in PR. One of the big differences attributing to US air dominance in the Pacific Theater of WW2 was our tactics and teamwork being superior to the Japanese. Something such as this rarely gets used in air combat in PR, sure you have the bomber that can help, but its not the same as a fighter in your flight.

"Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges"

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X