Squad Leader Channel Comms

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Squad Leader Channel Comms

Just wanted to bring this up in an attempt to make Squad Leaders a little more aware of something that can become an issue: too much comms in SL channel.

First, I'm not perfect, and I'm not asking for realistic comms discipline, but sometimes it can get a little too much and affects your own squad comms.

I just ask that we keep an eye if we are talking too much on SL comms and I try to refrain ourselves to more essential things.

It got a little too much for me last weekend and I mentioned it in the SL comms right before the end of the round. It got some mixed replies from the other SLs, and I understand. Communication is important and it's great to have so many SLs in the channel and be able to work together on things. As SLs you are used to dealing with a lot of talking from multiple sources, but sometimes it can get a little too much.

I guess it got a little aggravated by having the commander in the channel as well. It's not a problem for him being there, I encourage it as he can stay informed of what's going on between squads. But when you are directing your talk to only one squad and trying to explain something to them, all other squads are listening as well. For that kind of thing I suggest you use BF2's own voip system that allows you to do exactly that as a commander. PLEASE, don't use this as an excuse to not be the commander, it was great having one that we knew could really help.

You can see an example on this video. It's all the guys I'm used to play with: Jaymz, Savage, hotfranc, Alpha9, etc, so don't take this personally, it just happened and we can do better. It might be all quiet for you, but not for other squads, so try to keep things to the essential.

I know for a fact some good SLs prefer not being in the SL channel because of that kind of spam. I disagree with them, but I can understand some of their frustration. I know sometimes I just shouted things in the SL channel not even saying what squad I was and other important information, so again, it's something we should all keep an eye for, myself included.
    sigpic

Re: Squad Leader Channel Comms

As the SOPs say...
    Use SL mumble if you CAN'T (can't... not 'don't want to' x]) type it in the chat, if it's important and urgent.
    Local mumble + voip + SL mumble + maybe CO voip... That's crazy. Too much chatter cancels out ALL comms.
    sigpic

Comment

Aside from the long-winded speech from the Commander, when did you feel comms were overloaded? What time frame?
      CR8Z: "No, I've not been good, but as an American, I'm entitled to everything I want."

Comment

You may watch that video and not see what the big deal is, but when you are SLing in an intense situation like that, trying to get your squad positioned, thinking of all the ways things can go wrong, having them reporting contacts, and trying to say something that makes sense with that other level of comms on top, it's sometimes overwhelming.
        sigpic

Comment

Part of the problem is too many people in the SL channel who are not actually SL's. With a few possible exceptions, there should never be more people in the Mumble SL channel than there are actual Squad Leaders on the server. If you are performing some kind of role within a squad that actually requires direct communication with other Squad Leaders (flying a plane, acting as a communications relay for your SL who is not on mumble), then you have a valid reason to be in the mumble SL channel. However, if you are driving logistics, or crewing a mortar, or any number of other tasks, you are better off letting your Squad Leader relay messages through mumble to you to cut down on chatter.

I also know that there are lots of players who like to sit in the Mumble SL channel just to keep tabs on what's going on around the battlefield. While I won't argue that these people are causing problems as long as they are only listening and not talking, I would suggest to those people to move back into the general mumble channel; if not for the sake of removing the temptation to speak, then maybe for the sake of adding just a tiny bit more realism to the game. On the real battlefield, not everyone gets to listen to the commanders discussing strategy. Sometimes you're just the boots on the ground with the gun.

Comment

I think those issues are minimal Disco, in my example they were all SLs so that point is moot on that case.

But regarding your second example, I don't like it when my squad member is also in the SL channel, and when somebody reports something, he repeats it to my squad. I also heard it, I don't need an instant replay. But that's easily remedied by just talking to them so it's not that big of a deal, but it happened a few times to deserve a mention :p
            sigpic

Comment

dbzao, good post. The commanders should know how to speak to individual squads. (select squad you want, use SL channel key). If we all can get in a rhythm of sorts with communication that would be so much better. In my old clan we worked on comms discipline quite a bit, but since I've gotten lazy. Essentially it was short n' sweet comms. As commander I always ask for the squad to key in what squad they are. So that I can know who keyed in and can get back to them. Same should be for Mumble SL comms. Rather than just shouting out info. Squad, Location, What do you see?. The short n' sweet application.
              I would like to see more people be commander as it is the linch pin to the game IMO. I've been guilty of being left over in SL channel from previous rounds. I'll correct that from now on. Good conversation, thanks again.

DDS
              sigpic

Comment

No, this is a big thing and a big reason why I'd love to see PR mumble advanced to use a whisper feature. The Radio is a feature that is very important, the commander is a feature that is very important, and both are overlooked.

The commander can easily regulate all comms traffic to himself and directly cut out the sensless 'chummy chummy' bable that gets out on the SL Channel (I know I catch myself doing it too much). With a good commander the SL channel will be quiet as a mute in a prison... combine that with a commander who knows how to communicate using the 'direct to squad' shortcut comms and bang... everything will work.

The radio can give some pretty accurate markers for enemy locations but fails at notifiying of enemy movements, this is where the Squad Leader channel comes in but time is of the essence and too much chatter is a liability. Short. Concise. No laughing over SL unless you just capped their last flag and their commander has personally come out of his base and stabbed himself in shame. Keep the chummy stuff for local.

Comment

Yeah I hate it when it gets chatty on SL mumble... sorry for being so talkative. I knew you guys were in the mix there and was trying to get the rest of the team on that flag to flip since we insisted on taking it no matter what. Between that and people not responding to in game voip and only on mumble it got pretty busy in the channel.

I will try to be less talkative on mumble in the future. One thing I couldn't live without though is that mumble mute key... it helps a ton when there are people talking in your ear and your squad needs undivided attention. With the amount of action you guys were in there, I most definitely would have been muted lol.

Comment

Hey, almost all of my pet peeves are mentioned in this thread :)

+1 all around.
                    Skud

Comment

Indeed, I think the issue is the "not so concise" nature of communications when 1 squad is trying to describe something to another (be it a location or threat).

My advise - Stop. Think about what you need to communicate, and then do so in as few words while getting the required info across.

All previously discussed here:
                      http://www.tacticalgamer.com/battlef...riate-use.html

Zedic's Radio guide - For those of you not fortunate to know it existed, it does!
                      http://www.tacticalgamer.com/battlef...daptation.html

^^^ READ THIS ^^^

No really. Do it.
                      Q: How many members of Congress does it take to change a light bulb?
                      A: None. There is nothing wrong with the light bulb; its conditions are improving every day. Any reports of its lack of incandescence are delusional spin from the liberal media. That light bulb has served honorably, and anything you say undermines the lighting effort. Why do you hate freedom?!?

Comment

Originally posted by DiscoJedi View Post
                        Part of the problem is too many people in the SL channel who are not actually SL's. With a few possible exceptions, there should never be more people in the Mumble SL channel than there are actual Squad Leaders on the server. If you are performing some kind of role within a squad that actually requires direct communication with other Squad Leaders (flying a plane, acting as a communications relay for your SL who is not on mumble), then you have a valid reason to be in the mumble SL channel. However, if you are driving logistics, or crewing a mortar, or any number of other tasks, you are better off letting your Squad Leader relay messages through mumble to you to cut down on chatter.

I also know that there are lots of players who like to sit in the Mumble SL channel just to keep tabs on what's going on around the battlefield. While I won't argue that these people are causing problems as long as they are only listening and not talking, I would suggest to those people to move back into the general mumble channel; if not for the sake of removing the temptation to speak, then maybe for the sake of adding just a tiny bit more realism to the game. On the real battlefield, not everyone gets to listen to the commanders discussing strategy. Sometimes you're just the boots on the ground with the gun.
                        Great post!! To the point.
                        sigpic

OLD GUYS RULE!!!!

Humor is something that thrives between man's aspirations and his limitations. There is more logic in humor than in anything else. Because, you see, humor is truth. Victor Borge

Comment

Probably the wrong thread for this, but I have an issue with my mute key in mumble; I can't toggle it with the same key. I have to actually Alt-Tab and unmute myself in mumble.

I rarely get into the SL channel when I am SL'ing because of all the chatter. Especially if there is a commander; the SL channel is superfluous.

Many of my issues with mumble raised here. Good for all to see.

Comment

Originally posted by CR8Z View Post
                            Probably the wrong thread for this, but I have an issue with my mute key in mumble; I can't toggle it with the same key. I have to actually Alt-Tab and unmute myself in mumble.

I rarely get into the SL channel when I am SL'ing because of all the chatter. Especially if there is a commander; the SL channel is superfluous.

Many of my issues with mumble raised here. Good for all to see.
                            For me, mute/deafen happens when i hit the toggle, but when i press it again it just undeafens and leaves me muted. I had to make a separate key for unmute... so now it's one key to mute/deafen, then two to undo both. I'm not sure why it's like that, but it's the only way I've managed to get it to work.

Comment

The way i have it is
                              toggle mute: "*"
                              toggle deafen: "-"

Now when i want to deafen b/c of annoying people i press the - button. Which deafens AND mutes myself.
                              Then when i am spawned in-game i just press the * button and i am then un-deafened and un-muted.

It works perfectly untill you accidently press the wrong button in which case you are talking while muted, but can hear.
                              -oG.WarrioR-

|?|

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...