I need help and/or encouragement.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need help and/or encouragement.

I hate to be the newbie with a lot of questions, but Project Reality is a huge game and, as I've seen so far, TG is a huge community (both in quality and quantity), so it's pretty inevitable for me to feel slightly insecure about things.

Worry not, my dear veterans, for I have read the game manual, server rules, everything that looked even remotely helpful has been clicked and thoroughly checked.
    Still, a few questions rise, and I'd be very thankful if you guys could answer them.

I'm relatively new to BF2 (it was only on the recent 5 dollar steam sale that I actually acquired the game), and I only bought it because of Project Reality. So I downloaded it right away and started playing with bots and two friends on co-op, but it feels... "broken". Mainly because bots are always having pathfinding troubles and running backwards and spinning their heads while holding grenades and other sorts of robotic tomfoolery. Even though I was constantly frustrated, confused and aching to play with humans, I actually know how to fire my weapon, move around, request kits and whatnot. I know how most things work in the game, and not for one second was I puzzled as to why I can't be accurate while running or how to do stuff. Still, that doesn't mean I know how to play. So, my first issue is skill. I suppose TG is very understanding toward newcomers, but what would you guys say is the minimum required skill to play in TG's servers? You all seem so smart and conscious of what happens (from what I saw in videos), I'm terribly frightened of trying to play with you and screwing things up and being called names and sent to some dark corner. Am I right to be worried? Or is that a natural step into becoming a regular TG player? I just wanted to know what would your opinions be on acceptable skill.

Moving on...

My next (and, for the moment, last) issue is latency. I've played enough games to know that engines and server systems handle latency and lag-compensation differently, but I haven't yet had the chance to test BF2. I'm brazilian and from a quick search in the game server browser I realized that my ping is quite stable on TG, at around 130-150. Is it playable?

I really look forward to playing with you guys and I'm sorry in advance if this topic seems nonsensical, noobish or just downright stupid. Oh, and sorry if I mispelled anything or something like that. We speak portugues down here in Brasil.

Thanks ahead.

Re: I need help and/or encouragement.

It's understandable that you'd be a bit shy and concerned about playing PR multiplayer... but don't be. The community is made up of people that were just like you at one point. In fact, to this day I remember spawning into my very first PR map and teamkilling a fellow teammate because his name didn't appear above his head (so he must be an enemy, right?). Luckily they didn't ban me from the server and I slowly learned the ins and outs of the game.

What I would recommend, and I'm sure others will say similar things, is to join an infantry squad and let them know you are new to PR. Then let them know if you're also new to first-person shooters. Almost every squad leader will take the extra time to help you out and get you comfortable. There are also squads called "Learn TG" or something similar... so you can look for those. I would also recommend using a microphone so that you can talk on VOIP. Don't worry about Mumble yet, that may confuse you with too much talking.

I'll let some of the long-distance guys discuss lag and ping... but welcome to TG and PR. We're always glad to welcome new players.

Comment

Originally posted by PipBoy View Post
      what would you guys say is the minimum required skill to play in TG's servers?
      Teamwork, maturity and respect.
      The willingness to work together with the rest of the team even if it means not having the maximum amount of fun, placing the community first and the person second.
      Adult behaviour and fair play, so name calling and sending people places is out of the quiestion.

Playing on TG first is kinda like starting to learn to swim in deep water. The game already has a hard learning curve, but here you'll also have to learn working as part of a group. This of course makes it harder, but for more work you'll have more gain too.
      PR is meant to be a team game and TG is the best place to play it.

I just wanted to know what would your opinions be on acceptable skill.
      Personally i don't care about skill. It's the attitude that counts and you seem to have the perfect one. Welcome :)

my ping is quite stable on TG, at around 130-150. Is it playable?
      Yes, although a player living in Houston, where the server is at, will always have an advantage over you in close combat infantry.

this topic seems nonsensical, noobish or just downright stupid..
      Not at all, we are happy to help. Some useful links:

http://www.tacticalgamer.com/tactica...t-reality.html

http://www.tacticalgamer.com/battlef...-tactics-sops/

http://www.realitymod.com/forum/f137...ics-strategies
      sigpic

Comment

Just looking around the Forum here, I found this: http://www.tacticalgamer.com/tactica...t-reality.html

Its next week and would probably be a great way to get started. (I might sign up myself in order to get a feel of what TGU is really like). If you read through the syllabus, you can see this course is going to cover a vast amount of important information for a newcomer like you.

[EDIT] Bah, looks like Buflak already posted about that TGU session. Either way, check it out :D
        Last edited by ZephyrDark; 01-03-2011, 03:48 AM. Reason: BLASTED NINJAS! FOILED AGAIN!!
        Blackpython / ZephyrDark
        Former 31st RECCE Member

Comment

I suppose TG is very understanding toward newcomers, but what would you guys say is the minimum required skill to play in TG's servers?
          TG, is about helping new people.
          There is a lot of regulars that would help you if you are new to the game.
          Just tell them that you are new :)

Comment

I think everthing has almost been said except that hardly any of us are super awesome and look down on people (that often ;)) Infact I'd go as far to say that alot of people are terrible and only play for the fun and not to win.

As for ping, if you're at 130 you will be fine. I'm from Canada and I have a terrible service provider, so I also sit around 130 and it is pretty smooth for the most part.
            sigpic

Do you really want invincible bears running around raping your churches and burning your women?

Intel i7 3930k @ 4.4ghz, 8gb RAM, 2x GTX 570 1gb, OCZ Vertex 3 120 gig SSD

Comment

Just tell them that you are new
              This. Having people join the squad and not saying they're new, then getting a large load (medic for example) on their shoulders compromises the squad.
              Its the decisions you make, when you have no time to make them, that define who you are.

Comment

I hate to be the newbie with a lot of questions, but Project Reality is a huge game and, as I've seen so far, TG is a huge community (both in quality and quantity), so it's pretty inevitable for me to feel slightly insecure about things.

Worry not, my dear veterans, for I have read the game manual, server rules, everything that looked even remotely helpful has been clicked and thoroughly checked.
                Still, a few questions rise, and I'd be very thankful if you guys could answer them.

I'm relatively new to BF2 (it was only on the recent 5 dollar steam sale that I actually acquired the game), and I only bought it because of Project Reality. So I downloaded it right away and started playing with bots and two friends on co-op, but it feels... "broken". Mainly because bots are always having pathfinding troubles and running backwards and spinning their heads while holding grenades and other sorts of robotic tomfoolery. Even though I was constantly frustrated, confused and aching to play with humans, I actually know how to fire my weapon, move around, request kits and whatnot. I know how most things work in the game, and not for one second was I puzzled as to why I can't be accurate while running or how to do stuff. Still, that doesn't mean I know how to play. So, my first issue is skill. I suppose TG is very understanding toward newcomers, but what would you guys say is the minimum required skill to play in TG's servers? You all seem so smart and conscious of what happens (from what I saw in videos), I'm terribly frightened of trying to play with you and screwing things up and being called names and sent to some dark corner. Am I right to be worried? Or is that a natural step into becoming a regular TG player? I just wanted to know what would your opinions be on acceptable skill.

Moving on...

My next (and, for the moment, last) issue is latency. I've played enough games to know that engines and server systems handle latency and lag-compensation differently, but I haven't yet had the chance to test BF2. I'm brazilian and from a quick search in the game server browser I realized that my ping is quite stable on TG, at around 130-150. Is it playable?

I really look forward to playing with you guys and I'm sorry in advance if this topic seems nonsensical, noobish or just downright stupid. Oh, and sorry if I mispelled anything or something like that. We speak portugues down here in Brasil.

Thanks ahead.
                I would recommend attending this if you are interested:

http://www.tacticalgamer.com/tactica...t-reality.html
                sigpic

Comment

i would defiantly recommend T-mans basic infantry course. it realy is the single best place to start to learn PR.

Comment

Keep an eye open on the server for any "Learn TG" Squads that pop up now and then, myself and several others run them. They should give you a good glimpse into good gameplay and put you well on the course for greatness.

I'd also recomend squadding up with anybody wearing the "TG" tags and explaining you are new. It is important you state you're new otherwise you might get thrown into a role you're unsuited for. Generally, everything above :)

Failing that, feel free to use the private messaging system and grab my xfire we can squad up and I'll go through the basics.

Comment

Everyone has pretty much gone over this before, but I will summarize. We dont care how "skilled" you are, as long as you are willing to be a teamplayer, communicate, and be mature. In this game, skill is those 3 traits just listed, not how good you are at quickscoping. Noone with TG tags (at least noone should) mind having a newbie in their squad, as long as you make sure to tell them, and im sure they will help you out. I for one, enjoy having newbies/ misfits in my squad because generally they are really good at following orders, and its fun to pass on your knowledge, and watch them grow as a Tactical PR gamer. :) Also, I would recommend getting a supporting membership, so you can actually get in the server (The server is always full in the evenings so its hard to get in if you dont have one)
                      Welcome to Project Reality, Tactical Gamer, and I hope to see you in game soon!
                      May you be covered in the dust of your Rabbi.

Comment

You will not be the 1st or even the worst Brazilian player to play here. Dbzao holds that honor.
                        doYouEvenLuftwaffe

Comment

I too, my Rainbow-Poney-Cougar friend, am brazilian, but I'll let DB hold the title for political reasons. :p

Pip, it's good to see some more brazilians take interest in TG, and it's definetely the best place to be around when you want to experience PR as it's meant to be played.

I'd say the most important thing you already have, judging by your post: english. Pretty much everyone in TG speaks english, and communication on PR is a must. If you can understand orders from your squad leader, and if you can report enemies, make questions, etc, it's pretty much what you'll need.

As for the latency, I usually play on the TG server between 180-220ms and it usually doens't bring me any problems, so if you're at 150ms you won't have any problems regarding that.

And for the rest, pretty much join the server, join a squad and ask your squad leader what to do. You'll learn the maps and tricks eventually. Start out as infantry, try some vehicles, then try armor, and move on, until you get to planes and choppers (if it interests you, of course. Some players are infantry only players), but general rule is: start from the bottom. And don't expect to learn it all quickly, but if you listen and follow the rules, you should be fine!

If you have any questions feel free to shoot me a private message, in portuguese if you'd like, and I can help you some. :)

Welcome to TG!
                          |TG-69th|Kevlar

"Oh I know I don't think I see what I see what I'm thinking."

Comment

Hey man :)
                            Glad you found your way into this great community.
                            I think pretty much everything has been said.
                            Most important:
                            Make sure you have got a mic. Communication is a very vital part of this game.
                            NEVER EVER be afraid to ask questions and let your Squad Leader know that you are new to the game.
                            Everyone in here started out once and trust me you wouldn't believe what happened in my first round of PR,
                            but thanks to a lot of people here I can now call myself a fairly good player ;)

Oh and regarding the ping issue:
                            I am from Austria and my ping is always around 150 and for me everything's fine.
                            Unfortunately, as Bufl4x mentioned already, you have a slight disadvantage when it comes to close combat.
                            But the more you will play this game the less you will get killed. Ping does not influence the game as much as people claim it does.

happy gaming :)
                            |TGXV|STeaLthBananaaa

sigpic

We snipe the TG way

Comment

Welcome PipBoy! You've already got a great start by reading the manual and messing around in co-op. Not to mention, you just made a bunch of new friends here at TG. I would definitely recommend the TGU course with TMAN as mentioned above. That would help build a solid foundation for this game.

My advice to you would be to not give up. The learning curve is steep on this game, and it is by no means easy. But the reward of great games with great gamers is certainly worth the effort!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X