Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[AAR] Why Operation Archer is Great, and should be played more often.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [AAR] Why Operation Archer is Great, and should be played more often.

Where: Operation Archer 64 - Tactical Gamer Server
    When: January 5th, 2010. 10:00 PM EST - 12:15 AM EST

Today I played the first round of Operation Archer on the TG server that I can remember playing in PR 0.95, and I was suddenly reminded of two things. Firstly, I love this map! Secondly, we hardly ever see it in the map rotation. After having such a great time on the map I just new I had to post up an AAR to relate the experience.

My squad consisted of myself, |TG-XV| Hotfranc, |?| Briznead and |?| Any_Bitch. We spent the early part of the round fighting on the hill around the Eagle's Nest castle. A squad of enemy infantry were holed up inside, but we couldn't force our way in the front door, so we retreated. I convinced the team to make an attempt at roping up the eastern face of the Eagle's Nest, but on our way to the bottom of the cliffs, I drove our G-Wagon right into the sights of an RPG gunner and paid the price.

A second attempt was made, but this time only myself and Andy would be going. We made it to the base of the cliffs and began our ascent, growing more and more certain of two things along the way: that the enemy mortars had been deployed in the castle, and that surely someone up there would hear our rope and ambush us at the top. We were lucky to be wrong on the second point, and reached the top of the cliffs unscathed. We roped over the Southern wall and quickly took up positions in the main castle tower while our team distracted the mortar crews with a barrage of TOW and HAT fire. Once secure in our tower, we opened up on the mortar crews and cleared the castle of its occupants.

Afterward, hotfranc and Briznead rejoined Andy and I on the summit with supplies, and we built our own outpost in the Eagle's Nest. We made sure to leave the enemy mortar pits intact, providing our team with Artillery Supremacy for almost 30 minutes. From here, things did begin to drag on a bit, as both of the enemy caches were located far from the castle. We occupied our time sniping and TOW-ing any Taliban soldiers unfortunate enough to enter our cross hairs. We knew however, that sooner or later someone was going to take notice.

I had setup several trip flares leading up to the castle from the northern approach, and when one of these was set off, we knew it was time to get to the walls. A full 6 man squad proceeded to make an assault, but we fended them off in good form, slaying them all before our impenetrable walls. (Excuse me if I get a little melodramatic.) Thinking ourselves secure we returned to our routine of harassing the enemy at range. However we started to notice the occasional random sound of a PPSh going off to our East...

It was about this time that the shelling started. Sometime during our occupation, an allied soldier had demolished the Taliban Mortar pits, allowing them to be rebuilt. They turned the pits against us with a vengeance, knocking our defenses down again and again. During the bombardment we started to suspect that the errant PPSh noises we were hearing might be from someone trying to rope up the cliffs, as we had done earlier. We looked down the eastern face, but saw nothing. 30 seconds later, one of the enemy Mortars struck with deadly accuracy... landing right on top of the small rock outcropping where an entire Taliban squad was only two ropes away from taking us completely by surprise. 4 of the squad were killed outright by their teammates unlucky stray shell, a 5th fell to our weapons after we realized what the snafu meant, and the last decided to withold his intel my jumping to his death on the rocks below.

After this, the bombardment intensified and we were actually forced to abandon the castle. With only 2 caches remaining to be found and 70 or so tickets in which to do it, the team was getting desperate. A brutal battle was waged to secure the cache in M2. However it's demise left us with only 44 tickets, which was not enough to finish the last cache. Still, even in defeat, it remains one of the most fun (and balanced) rounds of Archer I have played. Also, that stray Mortar round was just too crazy an accident not to be remembered.

Cheers,

DJ

Re: [AAR] Why Operation Archer is Great, and should be played more often.

My squad literally sat in a 5x5m space waiting for the TOW to be unmanned on the mountain south of the city so we could get up to the top. The instant they jumped off it, we got up and began sprinting up the hill but alas I didn't notice the tripflares, which is a darn shame because we had a master plan to kill every one of you.

http://img819.imageshack.us/img819/7...0615333076.jpg

And then of course we tried to grapple up the side, and we would have done it if it wasn't for the bug where you see/hear people throwing a grapple except they're shooting a gun...and for the friendly bloody mortars.

http://img524.imageshack.us/img524/1...0615415048.jpg

and the last decided to withold his intel my jumping to his death on the rocks below.
    I will never give any intelligence or information about my comrades to you imperialist Canadian pigs, even if it means jumping off and doing a 360. Good writeup too.

LONG LIVE THE INSURGENCY
    Last edited by dtacs; 01-06-2011, 03:13 AM.
    Its the decisions you make, when you have no time to make them, that define who you are.

Comment

It was a pretty decent round, I'll agree on that point. I don't particularly like Archer for the fact that after a while it just becomes a battle for the high grounds and less about killing caches. Right around the time when our mortars went up, your team (Canadians) just seemed to have given up. We sat around for close to an hour defending against only one or two guys at a time ( I think it was thirdsin doin recon). We got so bored Chris set up a SPG and we began long range SPG sniping (or trying to) your emplacements on castle. I hate to be a downer but all insurgency seems to be going this way. But on the positive side for your team, is alot of kicked asses from HMGs and TOWs. The majority of my deaths were from you. Good round
      sigpic

Do you really want invincible bears running around raping your churches and burning your women?

Intel i7 3930k @ 4.4ghz, 8gb RAM, 2x GTX 570 1gb, OCZ Vertex 3 120 gig SSD

Comment

That Archer round for me, and for those blufor lucky enough to like playing INS maps,,, was GREAT. Honestly I hadn't played PR practically at all in the last week and half, so maybe i just missed it too much ;)

But yea, I had a couple guys early on, Flunder and Pvt.LHeureux. Both were EXCELLENT squad members, cannot thank them enough. My gameplan the entire time was recon and long patrols, and they were all for it.

Our first couple sorties.... well, if I didn't like PR so much I might have rage quitted. Start of the round, we get a jeep and we are going to oil fields direct West. No sooner do we get there, do we run into enemy bomb car. That was fast. Ok, back to main.
        Sortie 2. I actually can't remember, but it promptly ended in a repeat - death for all very suddenly.

But we stuck with it. Getting chopper rides to a remote location far north of the first cache in that central village area, my squad infiltrated south, fighting off a technical and stealthily taking out a couple sentries near the cache. We didn't live to retreat out of there, but the job was done, we got the cache. I now felt we had some momentum. Our squad depite the early failures, was getting results.

We did more grunt recon work. Going to the usual hotspots, that cave down in the Eastern bottom of the map (you know which one) searching that nearby village, walked all the way up to that river/waterfall area. Another squad, led by Blackpython, had landed up there not long before and come into heavy contact. Then, CACHE!

We made our way over there after setting up a FOB at our location. We flanked way north. I think about this time, Disco's squad was attacking from the south also. We followed them, then broke north in a pincer move. D's squad was engaging, we kept flanking. Eventually we caught them with their pants down and wiped up a bunch of them on the hills overlooking that cache location below. We held tight, seeing enemy reinforcements pouring in from the West/South.

We tried to slow the enemies advance. We were keeping that hill until our reinforcements arrived to secure that cache! Fierce gun battles ensued, just the 3 of us were trying everything we could just to keep back the enemy long enough for our reinforcements. I think Pvt.LHeureux was my medic, and he did a great job keeping us alive and revived during that fight.
        Soon enough, reinforcements cut off the enemy advance. And in a short order, the squads all converged on the cache, eliminating the position.

After this attack, I decided to venture north since everyone else was going south to a new cache location at the oil fields. Flunder had to leave, so now it was just me an Pvt.LHeureux, oorah! We searched the airfield hangar, nothing. Searched the airtower, still nothing. All those little huts outside, nada. Well, I knew in the past a cache spawns way in the top right of the map, but i'd never actually been there. Screw it, lets go.

We hoof it over there, frolicking through the rosebeds, having a gay ol time. Now i see this crazy complex, i'm actually impressed. Now I know why this cache is always so hard to get at, this place is huge! We haven't seen any contacts, no techies, no old motobikes, so we split up to search the complex.

Pvt.LHeureux: "Taking fire taking fire!"
        Thirdsin: "Wait, what?"
        Pvt.LHeureux: "I'm being shot at!"
        Thirdsin: "Really? becau...."

Just then I hear the fresh cracks of AKs... Sh*t!

ThirdSin: "Alright i'm coming over, how many contacts you g..."
        ThirdSin: "I got a contact too, as soon as he moves back into that doorway i'm coming"

It wouldn't work out that way. I shot'm sure. But some other dude killed me from I don't even know where. We were wiped, but, we were coming back to finish the job!

Utilizing the Fob we built, we travelled far East, intending to come up from the south. Well, we really had stirred the hornets nest apparently. We caught view of 1 technical screaming across the airfield to reinforce, another had already arrived on the scene apparently while we were spawning. Crap. Time for super stealthy mode.

The enemy had put down a SPG position, not 20meters from our heads, on the hill right above us. Thank you crazy terrain. A Technical travelled within another 15m from us, scouting south apparently. Thank you crazy terrain. We waited, patiently. They built up that position, but that wasn't our goal, we didn't have the firepower to engage them. We were cache hunting.

We flanked further East, taking a similar path that technical had previously taken, which was still scouting south. We were nervous any moment it would come back and we'd be dead to rights. we crest the hill, that SPG is not 25m from us. Enemy is all around that thing, bincos looking south, another rifleman just chatting with him apparently. We are saying to eachother - "Don't look behind you, Don't look behind you.....". We are exposed, no cover to the West and the rest of the enemy, the 3 or 4 behind us could see us plain as day if they look North.... we low crawl looking for any crevice to hide and provide some cover...

We are on the downslope, still somewhat in view, but we can sprint to that complex from here.... CRACK CRACK!
        Pvt.LHeureux: GO! GO! GO!
        ThirdSin: $%^&*!

I'm opening up on some damn INS who walked up on us from no where. Oh, a hideout directly in front of us, figures.
        CRACK CRACK! AK fire from the SPG squad, we take down the lone insurgent, but the rest know we are here and are drawing closer...

Thirdsin: HE'S DOWN, GO GO!

Pvt.LHeureux runs down the hill, I'm continuing to engage that SPG squad, but my bullets are scattering all around my targets... it won't be long now....

Thirdsin: GO ON WITHOUT ME! I'M A GONNER! fake dying coughs
        I'm shot, but Pvt.LHeureux has managed to infiltrate the enemy compound!

I'd like to end the story with Pvt.LHeureux being a hero, slaying the INS with his lone gun, then walking up to the cache and blowing it up with his MINDBULLETS. But it didn't work out. He stayed alive creeping around their compound for a good 10minutes, but eventually was found and killed.

After that the game progressed, we were making our assault on that last cache with about 40 tix left, but it was 6 people being dropped, and we got dropped on the wrong hill. Once I got a good view of the other hill I found out why, those Insurgents were like ants all over that thing. I let out a few blurps of automatic gunfire before being struck and killed.
        We had lost the chopper during insert due to a 'lag hiccup' and had lost many more over the course of the round. So we were attacking with maybe 15 tickets at that point, then that was that.

This game is what you make of it. I decided I was going to make something of it. GG Blu and INS.
        Q: How many members of Congress does it take to change a light bulb?
        A: None. There is nothing wrong with the light bulb; its conditions are improving every day. Any reports of its lack of incandescence are delusional spin from the liberal media. That light bulb has served honorably, and anything you say undermines the lighting effort. Why do you hate freedom?!?

Comment

This thread depresses me. Way back when, when I played PR for the first time, this was my favorite map. In the couple months since I got back into it, I havent been able to find it on a server once. I assumed it had been taken out :(

Long live maps like operation archer and korengal valley! (And kokan :D)
          May you be covered in the dust of your Rabbi.

Comment

fun for blufor rape for Opfor
            doYouEvenLuftwaffe

Comment

I wasn't able to stick around the whole round becuase of how late it got but it's good to see things balanced out. For we had 3 caches up at all times during that round according to my minimap. Which seemed to lead to an increased number of unoccupied, undefended, unknown caches being discovered. One such cache was in the eastern crop field north of the waterfall shelter house and TMAN and I stared in awe as a chinook bee lined and landed right on top of it. Our thoughts. 'You have got to be freaking kidding me.' Those are the breaks though.

BRIEF AAR
              As the round started I didn't feel like leading a whole squad and knew TMAN and myself would only be around for a short time. We decided to pair up with one goal - Massive Destruction and Chaos. We spawned at the village cache and moved straight to a bomb car in village with ak47's and RKG's. Cut them off at the pass was the mission.

As we drove south through the burning village below VCP we neared the construction site and I chose quickly to vear south into the area instead of taking the valley east below mountain. It was the correct choice. As we drove under the crane, a landrover started buzzing our hood with machinegun fire. It was too late for them. A whole squad perished under the might of the C4's blast. A decent start I believe.

I respawned at the temporary rally point still in play near the burning village south of VCP. TMAN spawned at the village cache to grab the last bomb car. As I wandered over the hills scouting a Chinook flew in and was heading towards VCP. I radio'd to TMAN to send the bomb car to VCP and catch the chinook landing. He was late, but found a most unfortunate squad below the trench trying to setup a fob. Another squad perished as I heard a mighty blast in the distance. Soon after I peaked my head over the hill scouting south. It was but for a moment but it was quickly taken off by an automatic weapon. Infantry were approaching the burning village on foot from construction.

With the village under heavy garrison I told TMAN to spawn at main. We would try to get heavy weaponry or a truck. There were none available so we considered our options as we both took a quick break. Upon my return I hear a chinook flying far over head. Landing somewhere in the Northern C or D column to our East. We hopped on a bike and rode over the hill east of main in search of a party on foot. It wasn't long before reports of infantry contacts broke out north of village. TMAN and I spotted the FOB low on a hilltop and approached on foot.
              A lone rifleman spawned at the FOB, he wasn't prepared and went down. It was a lucky break and I used his incendiaries to take out the Crates and Structure.

Some time passed and our cache in the small cluster of houses south of the airport went blue. TMAN and I rode to the cache and grabbed and engineer kit and we headed to the Bridge crossing just north east of the lower hillside of the castle. As I was placing some explosives that dang chinook I was talking about beelines straight down on top of the Cache to our east. It was in the fields, just north of the waterfall. Undefended. Not a soul in sight. Pow. They land and start burning it. Rubbish.

I told TMAN to start popping shots from our ambush point. Maybe we can draw them to the bridge. A handful of troops came our way, one or two took the hilltop above the road and took TMAN down. I waited and hid. Detonating my claymore on the road. Then Detonating my ARty IED on the bridge. I could hear someone coughing and asking for a medic so I chucked a few nades towards the smoking remains of the bridge. A brief firefight ensued and I might have killed one or two before the rest revived.

TMAN and I spawned at the village at this point and grabbed and Anti Air and a Techie. We moved south towards the Unknown Construction Cache. We did as much harassing as possible before the Cache went blue. More reinforcements showed up and soon I picked up the largest RPG I could find off the cache. A land rover with a 5 man squad entered the area and tried to secure the building next to the cache. I missed the money shot by seconds. My RPG hit the tail of the Rover just seconds as the entered the building. The blufor squad scrambled to mount a defense inside but had no real idea what they were up against. They took it from every angle as the area was secured once more.

So over all, our 2 INS squad ended with some 20 kills yet had to depart. It was getting late and so TMAN and myself retired. Fun Time though.

The 189th Infantry Brigade: Taking the 'the' out of psychotherapist since 2010.

XFire: mrthomasking

Comment

Originally posted by Portable.Cougar View Post
                fun for blufor rape for Opfor
                I did mention that in this particular instance, BluFor lost... right?

Comment

I've seen a good amount of rounds have red for win. This one seemed as one of those good rounds for both teams. However, my only gripe of archer is ease of traversing the terrain with vehicles.

Comment

Except the LAV-3, you can flip it on anything.
                    |TG-69th|chrisweb89

Comment

I think the reason for the 3 cache markers was that when the server first loaded, a cache got destroyed by environmental something or other. Someone said if that happens, a marker will bug.

So, take that info for what it is. But I saw the cache destroyed message after loading in.
                      A: None. There is nothing wrong with the light bulb; its conditions are improving every day. Any reports of its lack of incandescence are delusional spin from the liberal media. That light bulb has served honorably, and anything you say undermines the lighting effort. Why do you hate freedom?!?

Comment

Originally posted by ThirdSin View Post
                        I think the reason for the 3 cache markers was that when the server first loaded, a cache got destroyed by environmental something or other. Someone said if that happens, a marker will bug.

So, take that info for what it is. But I saw the cache destroyed message after loading in.
                        true afaik. i was there for that first round, where there were 3 cache markers, it appeared a few times in 909 and 917 too. Had some rounds of archer after that too where it played out properly with two cache markers
                        AnimalMother
                        Ex TG-31st LR
                        "Is it the 31st policy to have hott women as their avatars? Because if so that's a pretty baddass policy." - Pvt. brokeback
                        sigpic

Arte et Marte

Comment

Archer is a good map for sure - the best insurgent in my book.
                          sigpic

Comment

Yea, that chinook drop Tom King describes in his AAR, that was my squad. lol. I must have repressed the memory, but now I recall it all very clearly.... oh the horror.. ;)

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                            X