So I broke my computer.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So I broke my computer.

Id put this in general discussion part but thats totally for the lames.

So my computer froze and I had to shut 'er down. Booted it back up and it freezes on the memory check on the BIOS screen when it boots up. Managed to get through using the boot menu (esc button). Try to reformat, erased everything, still have the same issue.

Might be my RAM?
    Might be my Hard Drive?
    Might be gremlins?

I have have no idea, and no google search came up with a clear one either. Any help would be good, and until I get it situated, no PR for me. :[
    sigpic

Re: So I broke my computer.

Did you re-seat the memory? I'd make sure all your connections are good, clean of dust, etc.
    A better error message would be good.

Comment

might be the RAM. Try memtest86
      Steam Community: | |

Comment

Agreed. I would check physical things first - loose cards, etc. Take them all out and put them back in.

If that doesn't work, you may have a fried main board or other component. Hard to tell without equipment or another system spare to test components at that point. I had a similar problem with my last box, and I surmised it was the mother board.

Good luck with it.
        sigpic

Comment

Let me know if it's your RAM.

;)
          CR8Z: "No, I've not been good, but as an American, I'm entitled to everything I want."

Comment

If you list your systems components it might give a clue as to where the problem is.

Start eliminating 1 component at a time.

Use 1 memory stick at a time.

Boot from a CD instead of harddrive.

Probably isn't the CPU unless you've been running it out of specification for a long period of time.

That leaves motherboard and power supply.

To test PSU get one from somewhere, maybe a store you could return it to if you don't end up needing it and swap it out. Or use a multimeter if you have one.

Motherboard, inspect for physical damage. Some older cylindrical capacitors used to leak. If everything works but the motherboard then its probably the motherboard, gotta replace it to actually be sure.
            |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

What kind of RAM and mobo? After a power outage once, my BIOS reset, and I didn't realize. Every boot failed. Turned out it reset my memory to 1066 when it needs 1600. Depending what you got going on, check your BIOS.
              Q: How many members of Congress does it take to change a light bulb?
              A: None. There is nothing wrong with the light bulb; its conditions are improving every day. Any reports of its lack of incandescence are delusional spin from the liberal media. That light bulb has served honorably, and anything you say undermines the lighting effort. Why do you hate freedom?!?

Comment

Even better: check the sound error code.

If your computer makes weird beeping sounds when you start it, memorize them. It's like morse code.
                http://www.pchell.com/hardware/beepcodes.shtml

Check your Bios manufactorer and check the code. It'll tell you what's wrong ;)
                sigpic

Comment

Start eliminating 1 component at a time.
                  Thats the way to do it.

TG-6th|Almightylion

"It's feedom for everybody or freedom for nobody"" - Malcolm X

Comment

do what Vouk said. your computer will most likely tell you what is happening. listen for the beep codes.

i just recently blew a motherboard and your symptoms dont sound like that (if that makes you feel any better). with my blown mo-bo it would power-up just enuf to run all the fans, but the bios wouldnt start.

Comment

change the oil.

Comment

Follow Namebot's advice, PM me if you want help Spit.

|

Comment

Have you tried unplugging it?

Never Beat Ninja Gaiden

Comment

Have you checked your TCP/IP Settings?
                            Enabled cookies?
                            You want this dog?

Originally posted by Spitfire
                            Booted it back up and it freezes on the memory check on the BIOS screen when it boots up
                            I'm still thinking it has to do with memory clock if its freezing there.
                            How are your hard drive(s) configured? AHCI, SATA, IDE? That could also prevent a boot to OS, but not cause a memory error.
                            Q: How many members of Congress does it take to change a light bulb?
                            A: None. There is nothing wrong with the light bulb; its conditions are improving every day. Any reports of its lack of incandescence are delusional spin from the liberal media. That light bulb has served honorably, and anything you say undermines the lighting effort. Why do you hate freedom?!?

Comment

If the computer freezes at memory check it's most likely the RAM. Do what namebot said, start with the RAM by unpluggin one, then the other(s) (hopefully you have more than one).

If the problem persist after testing every RAM module by itself, try testing with a friend's harddrive instead of yours.

In-Game: |TG-Irr|Dreves

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X