Mumble Only Comms Yesterday

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mumble Only Comms Yesterday

Yesterday when the map switched over to Muttrah City, VOIP was down on both teams. Which meant that we had to rely on mumble or team chat. I was actually very impressed with how the team dealt with this situation and how realistic it made the game for me.
    Now I realize that there are some hurdles that this presents, such as; how did you inform your squad of where to spawn after dying? But what I noticed was that comms were more succinct and actionable. One squad leader reported afterward of having to run over to an adjacent squad to mumble request a medic to help. I could hear people actually yelling from 50m away with vital information. There was zero mumble joking around. It was SERIOUS! LOL
    The immersion for me was really fantastic. In fact we did very well adjusting to the situation and had some great fire fights. I wasn't in squad-lead channel so I wonder how that went.

Now I know that alot of people don't use mumble still, but I'd sure like to see maybe one day or two a month where we play mumble only.
    I'm curious to hear your thoughts on the game and the implications of mumble only.

DDS
    sigpic

Re: Mumble Only Comms Yesterday

Commanding without comms is a PITA though.

SO MUCH WALKINGGG!

Comment

Originally posted by Fox_J21 View Post

SO MUCH WALKINGGG!
      Good point. If mumble allowed for same kind of comms as VOIP, however mumble SL could suffice.
      I noticed yesterday that the squad held together very tight or you were clueless.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Fox_J21 View Post

SO MUCH WALKINGGG!
        it wouldnt be too bad if the SLs were in mumble, give icon order followed by verbal on mumble sl channel.

"All of you stay frickin high speed. All you stay on your frickin primaries and frickin slay bodies all day long. Good to go" -Combat Ninja lol

Comment

consider it a practice for the zombie event!

sigpic
          |TG-69th|desant

Comment

Originally posted by desant_1 View Post
            consider it a practice for the zombie event!
            Oh really? I am for this. Must do!

Also, mumble only comms would really slow the pace of the game down a good deal and make strategic planning and an actual combat doctrine infinitely more important. It would be really interesting to see if the PRT would try out a game like this and I'd love it if TG could make an IHS mumble only scrim event.

Of course such an event, by my standards, would require at least two weeks of preparation and training of the individual squads so that they can work efficiently without being told what to do. If this works out properly certain groups of people would be so familiar with each other that their level of play would be degrees higher than anything ever before in a video game.

The biggest hurdle is the respawning, but as long as you are wounded you can type, and beyond that you can always easily say as an SL/CO "if we die wait for SL to respawn and spawn after" or "FO F2-9 is our designiated rally point".

Comment

This all sounds pretty cool

[Spartan 9]

Comment

I loved mumble only. Hearing what was going on with the other squads was usefull and immersive. As for things like spawning with the squadleader, wait for your SL to span in and spawn where he does. If somebody is out of earshot, there is always squadchat.

Comment

I would love to have a mumble only event. I'm even willing to help organise such an event if the help is needed.

A good leader requires both character and strategy. If he is to be without one, let it be strategy. - General Rick Hilliar, Former Canadian Chief of Defence

Comment

Hope an event can be worked out like this soon. I like more realism, thats the hook for me in PR.

Zombie event? What is this?
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Masterjack View Post
                      I would love to have a mumble only event. I'm even willing to help organise such an event if the help is needed.
                      I'd also like to see trying a round of the possible event with everyone in one channel. Separate SL channels of course, but it would be neat to see if it could in fact work, or if due to a few players who are only trying to hear what the other team is saying will prove that it is flawed.

Anyways looking to get back in-game and using mumble.
                      Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
                      Level II Volunteer FireFighter
                      Level I HazMat Technician
                      NYS EMT-B
                      Town of Mamaroneck Fire Dept.

sigpic

Bring On Project Reality 1.0!!!
                      RSS Feeds:Bamboo | | 9/11 - Never Forget |
                      Apophis - "TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population.
                      Tactical Gamer is not mainstream.
                      We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers."

Comment

One mumble channel is not something we are looking at. There are more issues than simply eavesdropping, which should be fairly obvious.

We have a series of events/pw nights in the planning stages most of them are based on PR rather than MUMBLE.

Seriously, I use it every time I play but the actual game is more important to me than which comms I am using lol.

Stay tuned.
                        Last edited by Wicks; 01-19-2011, 03:27 PM.

Comment

I think the whole point of this thread is that the way we communicate changes the gameplay.

[Spartan 9]

Comment

Yes, many thanks, I got that, don't worry.

TG does not require Voip, merely the ability to hear voip and carry out orders issued via voip.

TG does not require the use of TS for PR, though TS is the officially recognised form of site wide communication.

TG:PR does not require the use of Mumble.

Therefore when arranging PR events for our members we have to consider all members. Not just the Mumble fans. A Mumble only event would exclude those who don't wish to use Mumble, or simply can't get it to work. TG:PR events are for all TG:PR players not just a particular voiciferous Mumble fanbase. However Mumble fans can use Mumble whenever they want, in any event or in any given public round.

See what I am getting at here.

The admin team is currently considering a number of PW events and themes, perhaps stay tuned as I suggested and see what comes out of that. Nothing is ruled out, however the difference is the admin team have to consider a bit more than simply what 'we want', that is all.

Comment

Makes sense.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse