Advice for New Squad Leaders

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice for New Squad Leaders

Later today TGU is having a Basic Squad Leader Course (you can still sign up!) and with the new SLs hitting the server soon, I was wondering if Squad Leaders out there had any advice they would like to share?

As they start out, what are some things they should focus on and remember?

And lastly, how would you describe your style of squad leading? I always find this interesting and informative. For instance, some SLs lead in front while others have a pointman and stay in the center. Some use fireteams, others do not. How about you?

Discuss!

Re: Advice for New Squad Leaders

There are mainly regulars that are members here, most new players either haven't signed up or have no idea TGU even exists.

I play aggressively, all the time and only defend if I am waiting for another squad to relieve mine or they are making an attack themselves. Whoever thinks that they are 'good at defending' is an idiot.

Rules I personally follow

The 5 people expecting orders are there solely to do their job and do everything you tell them, to the word unless your judgment is clouded. If they aren't enjoying themselves, they can leave.

Never leave an objective unless moving onto another one. You must aim to shorten the distance of travel between objectives as much as possible.

You can never, ever rely on other people regardless of how they are performing. Always expect to lose the flag/kit/whatever the moment its out of your control. If you become complacent, you've failed.

Never let this happen, period.

If someone is not completely understanding of the orders you gave them, you've failed and it is in no way their fault.

If someone asks you a question relevant to the game, answer them regardless of whether you can help or not.

Put up with players in the squad regardless of their personality and demeanor. If they do something deliberately against your word or anything that risks the squad's survivability, come down on them like a ton of bricks.

Everybody deserves a second chance, even if it takes time to forgive them.

Play aggressively, a breakthrough and capture of a flag is better than the strongest defense. Nobody shows their true ability when defending.

When in doubt, Alt+F4 out. No point playing the game if you're not having fun.
    Its the decisions you make, when you have no time to make them, that define who you are.

Comment

Originally posted by dtacs View Post
      Whoever thinks that they are 'good at defending' is an idiot.

You can never, ever rely on other people regardless of how they are performing.
      Charming, actually having a defensive force is critical at times and your first statement is not only rude it's non-sensical. So you can be good at attacking but not defending. Please don't refer to people who don't subscribe to your illogical, ill thought out philosophies as idiots on our forums, it's disrespectful.

As to your second 'point'. I rely on people all the time, there are many players I trust here. This is a key point in teamwork, trusting the man next to you so can fully focus on the task in front of you instead of looking over your shoulder.

Comment

I play cautiously all the time and am free to defend points that appear to have no value (Northern Hills in Kashan) because I see strategic value in them. I'm free to the offensive too, but I am warry of them as never do I have enough information to go on and rarely do I understand my squad member's capabilities. I must wing it and only give them missions I feel they can accomplish.

I expect my members to be able to follow my orders in at least the most basic way. I expect them, if they are unlcear of the orders, to ask me what I specifically mean. I expect them to be able to use the weapon properly and am not affraid of taking it from them if they prove incompetent.

No matter what, I always try to find ways to complement the squad, give them some reason to keep fighting. Morale is actually an issue in PR, a very over looked one.

Stealth is the opening to every successful operation. Get your enemy with his pants down and your offensive will always have the surprise to succeed.

Never underestimate the power of a good defense. The heroic hold out is just as vital as the heroic breakthrough and grants your team valuable seconds to turn the tide of war.

-----

Oh and yes, I am the point man to every operation other than defense, where I double as a gun and an observer. I'd love to have a scout in my squad but rarely do I meet a person who I can communicate telepathicly where I want my squad to go. I lead by example.

Comment

Learn to use dead ground, always, it gives you cover from fire, concealment and can help you attack. Be flexible. Develop your squad, train as you play. Being all Drill Sergeant about the slightest thing and being 'tough' for the sake of it is imo a sign of weakness.

Get comms and fire discipline in your squad. Make sure they aren't goofing off on mumble when they should be listening to either you or for signs of the enemy.

Develop a feel for the 'rythmn of battle', this comes with time and experience, but if you are aware of it you willl develop it faster. There will be times in combat when it is time to move, others where a moments more patience will pay dividends. From the small moments like when you know someone is reloading to the larger times when armour is repositioning or your opponent is between flags.

There are times when simply holding position for a few moments will pay dividends, it's not doing nothing, it's being primed to do something at the right time. Next time you are in the woods and feel like you are getting pounced on by unseen enemies move in from a different direction and slow down, just when you think it is time to move, don't. If you got impatient, anxious to 'make something happen' so will your opponent. Sit and wait, be ready, invariably the bushes will start to move and hey presto, that squad that was about to ambush you again will appear, in your sights this time. Destroy them.

When you switch from patient to aggressive do so in a fully committed manner. Prosecute your attack with 100% concentration and focus. Do not stop, hammer them and move on or through them. Do not linger. If you need to control that area kill them and move off to a decent standoff range adjacent to the killzone. They will be back either because the area has strategic importance or simply because they want revenge. Re-postition, watch them charge in hugry for payback, kill them again and move again. When you no longer need to hold the ground, leave.

Don't get obsessed about formations when moving, this isn't a parade ground. Have a solid base formation, a foundation but that's all that's needed. Otherwise your SM's will be dying because they are more worried about where they are in 'the line' than where the enemy is.

However, do get those basics sorted. When stopping set up rear security. When holding cover your compass points and make sure they stay covered. Don't let people just walk up on you. This discipline is perhaps the hardest to maintain for a long round, despite being very basic, but it is critical.

Comment

Originally posted by Angelo-1621 View Post
            Later today TGU is having a Basic Squad Leader Course (you can still sign up!) and with the new SLs hitting the server soon, I was wondering if Squad Leaders out there had any advice they would like to share?

As they start out, what are some things they should focus on and remember?
            Always carry a flask full of whiskey for those times that the SL responsibility becomes overwhelming, and the ugly stick to keep squad members in line.

Comment

"Whoever thinks that they are 'good at defending' is an idiot." Thanks for that insult.

My best advise is to play the way you are comfortable playing. If you like being in charge and telling people what to do down to telling them who is going where and who is covering what direction, do that. If you instead just let people lose and let them figure it out more or less in unison do this. It all depends on what you are comfortable with. If you have a squad member that is not interested in playing the way you want to play, ask him to leave neither of you are going to have as much fun as you could with different people.

As for my personal way of squad leading it depends a lot on my mood. Some days I just want to shoot stuff other days I split my squad in teams, and use pointmen and so on. I find that the latter is usually where I am the most successful but I don't always have the patience to do this.
              If people are becoming so bored when playing that they have to resort to this immature behaviour I will give them something to do, call it a project. The project is "appeal a ban". - Wicks

Comment

I think defending is crucial to a team win in PR. Doing it well is in fact hard, but totally do-able. Especially with a dedicated and disciplined squad and a SL that knows how to spot targets and threats and can call in fire and assets on them when needed.

But back on the main point of the thread:

I think sticking together is the most important element of a good squad.

Secondly, knowing what your job is in the squad and sticking to that / doing it correctly. I hate seeing SLs leading the formation in a advance - not his job.

Lastly, knowing the situation as SL and moving when needed, defending when needed and hiding when needed is critical. Understanding when to move strategically based on the map and enemy situation is an art form that any good SL needs to know.
                sigpic

Comment

I very rarely feel the urge to SL. But on nights when TMAN and Warlab have had one too many Shiner Bocks I do get raked into it.

Some things I like to do.

Knowing is half the battle.
                  I try to be a very cautious squad leader. 75% of the time I have my binoculars equipped. And as the boys in the 189th can tell you I will be the first one to call out contacts. This applies even when I'm a squad member.

Cut them off at the knees.
                  When fighting for an objective I will always secure an area by destroying reinforcement locations. This is more important (IMO) than having bodies on the flag. Not finding a hideout or a FOB can cost a lot of tickets in the long term. So sneak in and knife it, call in CAS or Mortar support and make sure more of their friends can't join the party.

Be very very quiet.
                  When hunting wabbits your ears are the best friend you could ask for. So keep chat to a minimum - Even after you die. If your medic is still alive, he needs to be able to hear the enemy so he can get you back into the fight. Awareness is everything.

The 189th Infantry Brigade: Taking the 'the' out of psychotherapist since 2010.

XFire: mrthomasking

Comment

I just wonder where your opinion about the SL not being on the front of a charge comes from. I have no military experience, but my readings of Rommel show that he was on the front nearly 80% of the time. Leading by example was his halmark.

Comment

I find it very helpful to have good fire discipline. Also, a goal is extremely helpful as a squad, key is to let the squad know the goal too. IMO a good squad is not something that always kills everyone it encounters. A good squad is one that survives and helps the team. Hence advice to new SL's, is to communicate with your Squad and other SL's. Provide key information.
                      I feel a good SL has to be a good follower, listener and leader. It is generally in that order too. You have to be flexible, but you also have to have buy in from your squad. One person not in the game plan can get the entire squad wiped out and this is not good.
                      You kill when you need too, you hide and hunker down when you need too, you lead from the front you lead from the middle, you have fireteams,etc. It is choosing the best action that is the challenge and being flexible when your choice does not work.
                      sigpic

OLD GUYS RULE!!!!

Humor is something that thrives between man's aspirations and his limitations. There is more logic in humor than in anything else. Because, you see, humor is truth. Victor Borge

Comment

On a different note then tactics, be positive when your a squad leader. There is nothing worse than an SL who just wont stop whining and moaning. If someone makes a mistake, correct it, make sure that they know what to do in the future, and move on.

Also, when a squad member does something good, tell him "Good job". It makes them feel good to get the acknowledgement of their achievement, and theres nothing worse than saving your entire squad/doing something leet/taking on for the team etc. for nobody to notice.

Last but not least, dont be an intel hog. Tell your squad members the plan, and keep them up to date with what is going on.

As you can tell, these recommendations are not from my experience SL'ing, they are just what I have picked up as a squad member, and are part of what I feel make a good SL, from a squad member perspective. Nobody is going to care if you have good tactics if you dont communicate or are a pain to get along with.
                        May you be covered in the dust of your Rabbi.

Comment

Originally posted by A.WICKENS View Post
                          Charming, actually having a defensive force is critical at times and your first statement is not only rude it's non-sensical. So you can be good at attacking but not defending. Please don't refer to people who don't subscribe to your illogical, ill thought out philosophies as idiots on our forums, it's disrespectful.

As to your second 'point'. I rely on people all the time, there are many players I trust here. This is a key point in teamwork, trusting the man next to you so can fully focus on the task in front of you instead of looking over your shoulder.
                          Absolutely, do note that I personally find defending to be a bore, but there is little worth in it to show your true colours. The ability to tell someone to 'stand here and watch there' is easy and really lacks much depth or thought. Staging a successful attack on the other hand requires not only extensive knowledge of the game and how to position your forces, but real finesse in adapting to the changing situation, be it a tank rolling up or reinforcements of infantry. I still remain beside my point, defending is the easy game. They mightn't be idiots (I do apologize for that one, bit pissed when I wrote that), but he who considers himself a 'good defender' should try attacking sometime and see how he goes.

There are hundreds I trust here as well, tons of regulars such as Gore, yrkidding and Buffalo to name a few. However, you simply cannot rely on them to everything that is required of them. Everybody makes mistakes, and its those mistakes which will eventually mean your death. As aforementioned, complacency kills.
                          Its the decisions you make, when you have no time to make them, that define who you are.

Comment

I could easily say dtacs if you are NOT a good defender then you probably will not be a good attacker. Hence you learn good tactics for setting up your offense when you are on the defense. You really need to be adequate at both in order to be a truly effective SL.
                            Defending is just as important as attacking. You need to know when to do each.
                            sigpic

OLD GUYS RULE!!!!

Humor is something that thrives between man's aspirations and his limitations. There is more logic in humor than in anything else. Because, you see, humor is truth. Victor Borge

Comment

What your saying still makes no sense to me. Defending isn't easy, defending badly is. Attacking tactically isn't easy, attacking badly is.

They are different but require a lot of the same skills and defending can be harder than attacking, believe me. If you don't like defending fine, I hope your team mates don't mind doing it for you.

Please don't patronise those of us that believe it is essential at times, a key part of teamwork, often critical to success and can require a great deal of skill, patience, concentration, selflessness and determination.

It is clearly situational, a squad attacks a position and takes it. They want to push to the next objective because defending is boring, stupid, easy and requires no skill. They leave the flag, flag is lost. What if the Co wants that squad to stay? What if that flag is then attacked by multiple squads, no hope of quick reinforcement, little ammo and no fob.

Sitting in a bunker on Kashan might not require much thought but holding a key area under assault from multiple angles with no hard cover is just as hard as attacking it. Exactly the same tactical processes are at work. You will have to manoeuvre, adjust, stay mobile, have 360 security, cut off reinforcements. You can defend in dead ground, off flag as it were. Essentially you are simply fighting over territory, same as the attackers.

I can only assume you are referring to static defenses, which is one aspect of defending. In much the same way that zerging an objective is one aspect of attacking.

I would imagine in a fluid teamgame like PR you would want to be as good as you can be at all aspects of both.

As regards "those who think they are good at defending should try attacking". Hmm, there is never a shortage of people volunteering to attack a flag. It's the first thing on new players minds. There is a shortfall of people willing to hold the line. Hence these players/squads are often left to fend for themselves. Doing that easy job, in contact, constantly under assault, whilst the perpetual assault squad is sitting in a bush planning its next attack lol.

Teams need to do both,.otherwise that strategy is called 'tard rushing' (not my choice of term, but there you go).

The players I know that are very good at defending actually happen to be very good at attacking, pretty hot on teamwork and fairly sound on tactics and strategy.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X