Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Commander Guide (Suggestions)

Hey all!

In the near future, I'll begin assembling a comprehensive guide on theory and practice regarding the commander role in Project Reality. I have an idea of what subjects I'd like to cover, but I'd like to hear any suggestions or requests the TG community (as well as the non-TG visitor) have for things to be addressed in the guide. By its first full iteration, it will likely be a long read.

See you on the battlefield!
    Whether by air or on land
    foes crumble at my command.

JaFaR Ironclad, at your service.

Re: Commander Guide (Suggestions)

This is something I need, as no documentation I've encountered discusses the role in any amount of detail.

Comment

I'd tap that.

Comment

The biggest issue with commanding in PR is the potluck you get with the teams, the 'I want to do this' mentality of squad leaders, and the general lack of being able to tell all squadleaders 'This is how I think things need to be done.'

Public commanding and IHS 'event' commanding are two way different coins and I'd love to see mention of this.

Comment

Tgu?

Comment

I'd rather a TGU class aimed at squad leaders. They need to know the proper tactics and how to adopt a strategy and doctrine more than the commander. It starts and ends with the squad leaders imo, the commander can only 'coach'.

Comment

please address, in the context of mumble, how 'top-down' leadership is inefficient and ineffective, thus making the commander role useless.

Comment

Originally posted by CoronadoSeal View Post
                please address, in the context of mumble, how 'top-down' leadership is inefficient and ineffective, thus making the commander role useless.
                With all due respect, that's bull. And I'm speaking on experience, not on gut response.

That's bull for the same reasons that a real life chain of command is not a committee of squad/platoon leaders. Nobody in that situation can take advantage of the big picture view the commander has access to. Well, they can try, but it detracts from the job they should be doing, which is leading their squad. I've gotten into the command seat on rounds where the SL's were on mumble and talking, and what was a close game became a rout of the enemy, or a team on the back foot becoming a run for the opponent's money.

Top down leadership is only inefficient and ineffective in the context of mumble if the commander doesn't know what he's doing. I'll elaborate more later, when I've had more sleep and can thus speak effectively.
                Whether by air or on land
                foes crumble at my command.

JaFaR Ironclad, at your service.

Comment

Interview AFSoccer and Portable.Cougar, take extensive notes, type it ALL up.
                  The two best CO's I've seen in my time here.
                  Your guide will be complete.
                  :)

|

Comment

Originally posted by CoronadoSeal View Post
                    Mumble isn't where the commander should address his squads. He has proper means through the ingame VOIP. Mumble should be for 'alerts and notifications' by the commander.

Comment

I would wait until UAV gets fixed before the guide. In tournament play the balance between commander rally and uav is crucial to most maps.

You can spawn your WHOLE TEAM anywhere on the map in seconds. Or maybe just have a well hidden spawn point behind enemy lines.
                      -OR-
                      The UAV up.

In public the C.R. is rarely used but probably the most powerful asset in a lot of maps.

Comment

Don't forget to include a section on Ordering Idiot and Non Idiot Defensive Squad Positions.

The 189th Infantry Brigade: Taking the 'the' out of psychotherapist since 2010.

XFire: mrthomasking

Comment

#define guide

Command like you have nine six-armed Stretch Armstrongs that have the ability to hold a mini-gun in one hand and an RPG in the other like Rambo ... and you'll do fine.

/end guide
                          "If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the people to gather wood, divide the work, and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the vast and endless sea."
                          -Antoine De Saint-Exupery

Comment

Lots of angry people in this thread.... ?por qué
                            Go make an 'angry people' thread and have at eachother in there!
                            I SUPPORT YOU JAFAR!
                            That was all said in a slightly satirical voice... so reread it for best effect...

Now that all said,
                            Theory and practicing being a CO... hmmm. How about how best to use social engineering methods to rope in rogue Squad leaders? No seriously. Short of reporting them and starting baby drama, what does one do? It's probably my main reason I never CO. I don't want to lead half a team.
                            Q: How many members of Congress does it take to change a light bulb?
                            A: None. There is nothing wrong with the light bulb; its conditions are improving every day. Any reports of its lack of incandescence are delusional spin from the liberal media. That light bulb has served honorably, and anything you say undermines the lighting effort. Why do you hate freedom?!?

Comment

Originally posted by ThirdSin View Post
                              Theory and practicing being a CO... hmmm. How about how best to use social engineering methods to rope in rogue Squad leaders? No seriously. Short of reporting them and starting baby drama, what does one do? It's probably my main reason I never CO. I don't want to lead half a team.
                              Assign their assets to another squad. The problem should resolve itself either through reports for not following orders or them getting bored and quitting.

Really it depends on the SL i guess... are they rogue yet being useful or rogue and costing you the game? Normally pointing out how much they are hurting the team will be enough, but the reporting system AND the follow orders rule are there for a reason. No baby mama drama necessary.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X