Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how do you properly lase a target for CAS?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how do you properly lase a target for CAS?

Hey guys,

Yesterday I was squad leading on Kokan and there were a few times in the round that I tried to call in CAS support but I wasn't sure if I was doing it correctly. Yrkidding, I believe you were flying that day?

I know how to set the distance and select CAS support, the thing I'm wondering about is the "green box". In order for the CAS pilots to do their job, do I need to put that box on something in my binos? Do I click on a general area, building, or individual enemy soldiers?

The CAS squad yesterday on Kokan were awesome btw, always available and in communication, letting us know that they were ready for support if we needed them.

thanks and much appreciated,

Angelo

re: how do you properly lase a target for CAS?

As much as I'd love to take the credit for what sounds like an awesome CAS squad, the pilot was not me that on that one hehe, would also like an answer to the title question as well honestly, always kinda got the impression it was zoom in and click almost shooting a laze type of thing but I really dont know
    Last edited by Yrkidding; 02-20-2011, 02:31 PM.

Comment

The actual lase that pilots see is a slow moving projectile that sticks to objects, you see it as a green box. Because it is slow moving it is very difficult to lase a moving vehicle, especially at a range. This green box can be sent around every second, when you resend it by left clicking the box flies through the air and attaches itself to an object it lands near(building, ground, vehicle, emplacement). In the time that you are relasing the lase will be floating in midair for anyone but you and this makes it impossible for CAS to do their job. When you hold down left click it continuously resnds the lase which is a very bad and annoying thing. The green box can also be glitchy sometimes and not show up, even though something is properly lased, in these situations depending on how desperate you are give the pilot the best land mark you can, attempt to lase, and warn them the lase may not be there. Also when lasing make sure it will be visible to them from another angle, so don't put lases into a buildind/window, and if they have to come from a certain angle to hit it tell them.

With those basics told here is the method I prefer for people to use when calling CAS in:
      1) Make comms with the CAS sq somehow through typing , CO or mumble(best is typing), and ask if they are available and give them quick target info(ex. Tank b3 key 4, need CAS can lase) some CAS squads only want the marker on the map but I prefer people to tell me what it is and info instead of blindly going on a marker on the map.
      2) If CAS is avialable for you, wait for them to say they are ready to hit the target and feed them any more info you can or updated info(ex. AA may be behind ridge, tank is moving N, wait for good lase).
      3) When they say they are ready to hit it put your lase down and after you see its good, then tell them to come in. Do not put the lase down or lase as they approach, only say its lased when you are sure it is( lase may not stick, target may move, anything can mess a lase up). When CAS is inbound do not touch they lase for any reason, even if it isn't on the target it gives a direction for CAS to manually hit it. If you change it midflight they won't see anything except a lase flying through the air resulting in your target prob not dieing, and CAS not wanting to work with you.

You can also ask for CAS without a lase, some pilots may not want to do this but if you are in a dire situation it may be your only chance. When doing this try to give as much info as possible and make sure they know there won't be a lase. Nothing is more annoying than going on a target ready for a lase and GTFO and seeing nothing.

A great way to learn about lasing and how/when to do it is either fly or spot directly for CAS. You can get first hand experience at what not to do, what intel is needed and all the things that can change an effective run from a bad run.
      |TG-69th|chrisweb89

Comment

Thanks Chris that was EXTREMELY helpful! I have a few questions:

2) what if the CAS pilot doesn't say when they are ready to hit the target? When should you lase? Sometimes I hear "CAS inbound." Is that the signal?

3) how do you know that a lase is good? When I tried left clicking a building, the green box would appear then disappear very quickly.

bonus) how do you spell "lase"? I spelled it "lace." YrKidding spelled it gangsta "laze." And you spelled it "lase". ^^

Comment

Preferrably I'd like "CAS ready" to be the call for lazing followed by a "Lazed" call. On way means that they are coming in and if you can't laze in time it could be very bad.

Laze is the proper 'slang' term. Lase is also alright but the Z sound is, imo, important.

Lace is something rather girly and has no place in the battlefield... ;D

If the box doesn't stick... well its a bad laze for some reason or other.

Comment

If they don't say specifically when to lase check your map and geuss when they will be within 30 seconds of you(the time a lase lasts for), or do it when they say a vehicle is on the way, but hopefully those can be avoided because geussing when to lase and when they are ready is hard and can end up badly, this is also CAS's responsibility to communicate back to you that they are ready and when they are coming. If the green box appears, then dissapears like Yt said its usually a bad lase because of how it sticks and it apparently didn't stick. If this happens try lasing a different part of the building or if you are desperate for the CAs the lase may actually be good, but not showing for you. If this is the case attempt to tell CAS lase should be up, but may not and hope they will attempt to help you with the fact it will be harder for them to hit and find the target.
            |TG-69th|chrisweb89

Comment

You guys forgot about my tutorial? I only made it two years ago!

Comment

awesome, thanks guys. can't wait to laze a target next round. video tutorial was very helpful as well. just gotta make sure the green box "sticks".

Comment

Re: how do you properly lase a target for CAS?

We need more videos like this.... and a way to advertise them to the community!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X