Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unofficial AAR of the Battle of Wanda Shan (2-19-11)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unofficial AAR of the Battle of Wanda Shan (2-19-11)

Wonderful round of Wanda Shan last night. Played as the CO and everyone worked to the best of their ability and followed the core plan out fully (even if there were a few hiccups at Hill Village). Staged a daring assault on the Wind Turbines with two and a half squads based around mechanized assault (Chrisweb, Zegel, Northplum [IFV], Fuzzhead [Logistics/RCN]) and nuetralized it significantly before the Russians had nuetralized Hill Village.

Reports were good at the Turbines, mostly stating that there was little contact there and a couple FOs were destroyed. This further gave me the perception of a Russian mistep at Hill Village; they were over extended. With still yet a full Infantry squad in reserve (db) and an assortment of assets available for use we secured Hill Village once again in a desive fashion.

From there, I had placed an FO in proximity of both Turbines and the last Russian Flag (deployment). Attempts were made to storm that flag with what amounted to nearly the whole of our force further supported by the commander rally. In their proud Eastern Asian glory three full infantry squads climbed the hill and mounted our proud flag back on our Manchurian land! Onword, to Moscow!

Conclusion:

The asset support was really top notch this round, IFVs were the main workhorse of our army and not our tanks. Infantry were the main threat to Russian Armor in a combination of H-AT use and Lazing/Calling for CAS missions. Transport was paramount to our quick and decisive victory; any assault attempted was primarily done on wheels or where a base had already been established allowing for efficient use of infantry at key points and minimizing their time in points of little interest.

The Field Commander is perhaps the better of the two types of Commander. He adds a body to operations, leads by example, has a better understanding of the happenings in a specific area, bolsters troop morale and objectivivty, and can place bases of operations with little or no logistics.

At one point the Hill Village flag was neutralized and even secured by the Russian Forces, however, owing to our FO structure, we were still capable of putting pressure on the flag until its eventrual resuizure and regained our footing.

This underlines a few points;

-had the Russian forces been properly aware of the situation, or even taken a risk at preparing an attack on our final flag, huge rewards could have been reaped. As it stands they took no advantage of their immediate momentum. Perhaps our largest single saving grace.

-having several squads and assets off of the immediate area of the flag decreased our ability to maintain the flag from assault but increased our ability to take back the flag. This also shows that having several FOs around the region of the flag but not ontop or within immediate proximity of it improves long term survivability of a region.

-the Russians made no attempt at maintaining a significant foot hold on the flag. Perhaps many Russian troops were surrounding it and about it, but they were not in direct play of the flag, or could not directly reinforce it after the initial force was defeated there.

-had we not sufficient means of transport, our divisions elsewhere engaged, could not have been brought back to lend bodies to attack the Hill Village. Speedy reaction is paramount.

Bugs: I would like to point out that for the second time a helicopter overran my C rally, something that I feel is a bit silly, but could be useful when contemplating ariel recon. Furthermore the Commander can not use thermal imaging devices on TOW mounts. A minor, but serious bug.

Re: Unofficial AAR of the Battle of Wanda Shan (2-19-11)

Yeah that was a good round. I will happily do dedicated IFV transport on a map like Wanda Shan since it lacks transport helicopters and it is a decent size (4km). Otherwise what you'll find is a load of people back in main or a squad stuck out on a flag/position which they no longer need to defend from. I didn't try to engage any targets, just stayed alive and waited as squads called for transport and the like.

But yeah there was a lot of teamwork and cooperation between squads that round which is what made us win.

Don't fight a battle if you don't gain anything by winning.
    Erwin Rommel

Comment

I was so lucky to get onto turbines and start turning the flag before zegel and plum showed up, in our 3 man VN3 we narrowly escaped a tank and on the flag cap were able to kill a FB and AAV. This is when the tank chased us down and killed the VN3. With the AAV dead, along with xsoldier in the VN3, and me with only a rifleman kit and my medic, we called in manual CAS support that killed the tank in a single hit after I killed its driver. AT this point I told plum the actual flag was clear and he came to help us where I got an officer and set a rally for my fallen troops. We had few contacts until we neutralized when we found a FB and squad west of the flag. If it wasn't for our narrow victory over the squad with plum's support that FB along with a FB I believe zegel was engaging on the E side would have been a foothold for the russians on turbines. After cap it was just a bit of def, then a mad rush to Northern Outpost and a very slow cap.
      |TG-69th|chrisweb89

Comment

Just a quick note, I don't think there's anything "unofficial" about an [AAR] thread. :p

Great write up! Keep these coming!
        Skud

Comment

Unofficial denotes that I took only minutes to write it up and didn't create any diagrams or graphics explaining movements...

I need help I guess.

Comment

From the perspective of the Russian side. We lacked effectiveness and were barely able to keep up with any enemy activity. Aside from a temporary cap on the hill village within the first 10 minutes of the game we were completely rolled into a submissive state and were unable to coordinate any sort of offensive... or heck any defense. In in the 3-4 times I've played through Wanda shan on either faction the russian team has been completly capped out. Has anyone seen the opposite? Perhaps assets are in need of reassesment.

The 189th Infantry Brigade: Taking the 'the' out of psychotherapist since 2010.

XFire: mrthomasking

Comment

I have seen it equal as either team, I don't think china has any real advantage.
              |TG-69th|chrisweb89

Comment

Originally posted by TomKing View Post
                From the perspective of the Russian side. We lacked effectiveness and were barely able to keep up with any enemy activity. Aside from a temporary cap on the hill village within the first 10 minutes of the game we were completely rolled into a submissive state and were unable to coordinate any sort of offensive... or heck any defense. In in the 3-4 times I've played through Wanda shan on either faction the russian team has been completly capped out. Has anyone seen the opposite? Perhaps assets are in need of reassesment.
                Simply put, it was a lack of teamwork that did us (Ruskies) in. I had my squad down to Hill and 1 other squad showed up within that first ten min to push the assualt. We had squads in all sorts of weird places on the map. Eventually the rest of the team showed up, we kicked some butt with some mutual aid in the form of squads supporting squads and APCs supporting as well, things were awesome.
                Then we capped. My squad caught contacts back behind us to our East. NME FOB, we went in and after a short struggle, cleaned it up.
                By that time, the entire team had moved on away from the flag. No one was defending. We had squads in every direction but not on the flag. Then it got capped back. Once this happened, we had a tank and an AAV at our fallback flag, but without inf support I think they were taken down. Then that flag went neutral before we could recapture Hill. Once it got capped, our squads were stranded in the middle of wherever they had been going.
                Possibly the root of that issue was a lack of trans, though we did have some APCs doing a nice job, so maybe the inf just weren't asking for it. You could hear a pin drop in SL mumble most of the round, so maybe that speaks volumes too.
                Can't win'm all. Get'm next time.

Moral of the story - Someone's gotta defend.
                Q: How many members of Congress does it take to change a light bulb?
                A: None. There is nothing wrong with the light bulb; its conditions are improving every day. Any reports of its lack of incandescence are delusional spin from the liberal media. That light bulb has served honorably, and anything you say undermines the lighting effort. Why do you hate freedom?!?

Comment

Originally posted by TomKing View Post
                  I will say this, Wanda Shan 32 is a terribly lopsided map asset wise. When preparing for the IHS that didn't happen I discovered this, but never thought it was to such a disadvantage. However when you have only MTLBs against authentic IFVs and even grant china two more tanks than the russians.... bad things will happen. Add in the fact that its Hills and the fact that your APCs are tracked even further compounds the issue. This being said: the one round I played of Wanda Shan 32 ended 10-0 to China. Which means it was ridiculously close. The above round was not Wanda Shan 32. It was Wanda Shan 64.

Asset wise everything is equal. Perhaps the Russians should get BRDMs since the PLA get VN-3s but that is hardly an excuse to say that the assets are lopsided.

Of my time playing Wanda Shan 64 I will say that time and time again the team that coordinates and plans ahead effectively will always win. When transport is so hard to come by on this map, proper strategic planning and coordination is absolutely critical at all points. It is a 4km map that feels much larger due to its terrain and when considering Kashan or Yamalia movement is much slower.

What assets would you say need changing? They are so parrallel its kind of boring.

Heck I'd say that the Russians have a significant advantage in the form of their HAT kit which is readied faster, valuable at close/medium ranges, has two shots, and better deviation.

Going by what Third stated, we had a strong defensive core. Three or four FOs up, one squad on CAP, one squad on support, two half squads 'patroling', and two IFVs. Roaming. The only spare change was Chris' squad attempting to attack initially.

By the time you showed you were committed to the attack, and then repulsed, I knew to strike.

Comment

By the time you showed you were committed to the attack, and then repulsed, I knew to strike.
                    Who are you talking to?

Comment

Originally posted by Ytman View Post

Asset wise everything is equal. Perhaps the Russians should get BRDMs since the PLA get VN-3s but that is hardly an excuse to say that the assets are lopsided.

What assets would you say need changing? They are so parrallel its kind of boring.
                      Rudd told me that only the marines use the BRDM, so placing them on maps not featuring Ru marines would be unrealistic. Does the WZ551 have thermals? if so that's one up on the BTR80 variants, perhaps the introduction of the BMP-2 will spice things up a little.
                      AnimalMother
                      Ex TG-31st LR
                      "Is it the 31st policy to have hott women as their avatars? Because if so that's a pretty baddass policy." - Pvt. brokeback
                      sigpic

Arte et Marte

Comment

Nah it doesn't have thermals. But I would say that a BTR-80A is quite comparable to the WZ551. In fact the BTR-80A will defeat the WZ551 with its faster rate of fire.

At the round start, no one on our team took any tanks. Which I will attribute to us winning. We could simply have enough bodies on a flag inside those forests at anyone time. Where the Russian side had their tanks all around the map. But tanks don't generally do well in forests which is where they lose their power on Wanda Shan.

Keep also in mind we only get two cannon apcs (WZ551)!

But I don't think there is anything wrong with the assets. I've seen plenty of times the Chinese being pushed back tot their last flag.

Don't fight a battle if you don't gain anything by winning.
                        Erwin Rommel

Comment

Originally posted by NorthPlum View Post
                          Keep also in mind we only get two cannon apcs (WZ551)!

But I don't think there is anything wrong with the assets. I've seen plenty of times the Chinese being pushed back tot their last flag.
                          In an APC on APC encounter, particularly on this map... thermals provide a very big advantage. That said, those cannon APCs are beast if they can see what they are shooting at.

Briz and I managed to track and almost destroy a tank with one, but we got chased off by a couple of APCs that came to his rescue.

*Edited to add:*

Someone told me this map was scheduled for removal? Something about the devs thinking people didn't like it. Personally I love this map, and the more I play on it the more it grows on me. The distances that must be covered between flags makes effective transport critical, especially during momentum swings where half your team needs to cover 2 or 3k or lose the game.

Denying the enemy logistical support is also a key tactic that can be employed to maximum effect here. Someone please tell me Wanda Shan isn't going anywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by WDT_Alpha_s9 View Post
                            *Edited to add:*

Someone told me this map was scheduled for removal? Something about the devs thinking people didn't like it. Personally I love this map, and the more I play on it the more it grows on me. The distances that must be covered between flags makes effective transport critical, especially during momentum swings where half your team needs to cover 2 or 3k or lose the game.

Denying the enemy logistical support is also a key tactic that can be employed to maximum effect here. Someone please tell me Wanda Shan isn't going anywhere.
                            I agree. As much as people love to complain about it, I like it. It got a bad rap early with the lag issues, poor map didn't have a chance.

But in terms of where PR is going (as far as I see it) with large maps and larger numbers of players, this map will tipify what gameplay should look like. Long expanses, armor, inf, logistics, all needing to be coordinated in order to get the W.

Side note offtopic. People need to complain less about maps in mumble, i'm tired of hearing it. I'm guilty of complaining about Asad myself, so i'll be shutting up about it to walk the walk here... ;)
                            If you don't like a map, the forums are a great place to discuss it. Trying to convince the admin team to skip or forward a map will have a high probability of crashing the server (happened again last night), then everyone is disappointed.

Back on topic.
                            Lag issues and asset tweaking aside, Wanda is a good map. I like her. She is cool. I like cool cats to hang out with. Keep this broad around a while longer is what i say, she's good company.
                            Q: How many members of Congress does it take to change a light bulb?
                            A: None. There is nothing wrong with the light bulb; its conditions are improving every day. Any reports of its lack of incandescence are delusional spin from the liberal media. That light bulb has served honorably, and anything you say undermines the lighting effort. Why do you hate freedom?!?

Comment

If you don't like a map, the forums are a great place to discuss it.
                              I'll complain about it then. I don't like it.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X