Love of Knowledge (err tactics)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Love of Knowledge (err tactics)

I just wanted to start a little thread which may go on to be very helpful and insightful for everyone. The posters, the readers, etc.

Quite a simple idea... just post what tactics you employ during infantry engagements that you have proven to be effective. Or perhaps, you think may be effective but you want the opinion of others. It's a very broad spectrum I'm proposing, but hey maybe some of us can learn from others. You're obviously open to debate tactics but please don't take stuff personally.

For example, a break contact tactic - whereby you disengage from the enemy using fire and maneuveur (how on earth do you spell that?) to either put yourself out of a less advantageous position relative to your enemy, you want to reposition but cannot simply move there, or you just want to gtfo of the area.
    It doesn't have to be something official, but something practical that you've found effective in helping you when engaging with enemy infantry or their accompanying assets.
    Like I said, maybe we can learn more from one another. Perhaps even an insight into how some SLs like to work.

Note: moderators this may be in the wrong spot, you're obviously free to move (this ain't no democracy man) but I just wanted to put this out here to get more attention.

sigpic

Re: Love of Knowledge (err tactics)

Get nice and close and shoot a lot, maybe add some grenades in the mix.
    |TG-69th|chrisweb89

Comment

Details details! More more more!

sigpic

Comment

I make a point to never start an engagement that I am unsure I can win.

By this I mean, its best to make an effort to know who and what your fighting before you start.

There are a few ways to find out what your enemy is packing

the most known and widely used is just to scope them out. Grab some distance and some binos and look at them. Look for kits, figure out who in the group is the leader. Take stock of their emplacements and weapons.

Another way, one I use a lot is to just to be far more blunt. I draw fire, im good at it. The best way to do this is to find an area in view of the enemy with a quick and easy escape route. Once I have those two things its best to pop out and give them some simi accurate fire. linger just long enough to let them see where you are firing from and wait for their lead to fly. What did they just shoot at ya? Did sound like an AR? Was there a rocket with your name on it.? The most important thing to remember is that you are not here to fight. Your job is more to see what they have so that you can decide on a way to wipe them out.

I use this just about always and I do it for a few reasons.

1. I do not like to fire from one set position.
        2. Failing in an assault is worthless for your team
        3. Most of the time the guys you need to worry about are not the most visible. By allowing them to spot and fire on you their positions will show to you.

So now that you've drawn some fire, found their emplacements, and spotted their heavy hitters you can decide to finish them off and attack them or fall back till you can gain an advantage.
        Last edited by Portable.Cougar; 02-24-2011, 12:19 AM.
        doYouEvenLuftwaffe

Comment

Fire discipline.

Fire Discipline isn't just about 'holding fire', it's also about 'fire control'

If you can get eyes on early, hold that trigger finger.

Get your squad organised quickly. Assign your squad targets, if your opponent is moving right to left in front of you, assign the guy to your left to fire on their guy on the left (ie their point man). The guy on your furthest right to hit the guy bringing up the rear. Have you LMG hit the middle and work out. You can switch this up. If they are at full sprint your rifleman on single shot may struggle to pull off first round kills.

In this situation have your LMG rake the point man to slow the columns progress. They will most likely turn 180 degrees and panic. Your LMG can then work back in to the middle of the pack. At least two of your opponents will correctly identify the direction that they are taking fire from and probably drop and return fire. They have been sprinting around so their aim will be off. Have your scoped rifleman prioritize them till your LMG can shift fire to the bulk of squad. Always have your medic pull rear security when you ambush like this, he shouldn't even be looking in the direction of the ambush.

If you have a grenadier and your opponent 'goes firm' (ie digs in, prepared to fight, despite the casualties), be patient, you are a cat playing with a mouse. Pop some diversionary smoke (assuming you have been positively identified already) and shift position, whilst having your grenadier blat the area with UGL rounds.

Get set in your position and then fire as one again, rifleman semi-rapid aimed shots and LMG on controlled bursts. Call your reloads so those around you can moderate their rate of fire until you are back putting rounds down range, this is proper suppression and allows a sustained volume of fire. Once you have dominance have someone select priority targets. Sometimes it is easiest if you do this yourself as SL if you have the range, just easiest to orchestrate.

Once you are done, pop smoke and disappear.

Comment

I do 2 things regularly that others may or may not - 1 as an SL, another as a squadmember;

Numero 1 as SL:
            In the course of chaotic contact, I know where my medic is. If I see anyone fire on him, my clip gets emptied in a hurry so the medic can retreat to a safer position.

Numero 2 as squad member:
            I'm usually out to a flank or way behind the squad. This is largely due to the fact that I will be covering a sector and not notice the squad start to run in another direction... But this is adventageous when my squad gets pinned. I am the one with the best chance of flanking unseen on the enemy's rear. Sprinkle nades and choas for best flavor when up real close, rifle to auto, lets go.
            Q: How many members of Congress does it take to change a light bulb?
            A: None. There is nothing wrong with the light bulb; its conditions are improving every day. Any reports of its lack of incandescence are delusional spin from the liberal media. That light bulb has served honorably, and anything you say undermines the lighting effort. Why do you hate freedom?!?

Comment

And these are squad leaders that just outshine every other freaking one out there.

Comment

Originally posted by A.WICKENS View Post
                Once you are done, pop smoke and disappear.
                This is one of the best pieces of advice out there.

We have to remember that we are playing a game. In doing so we will allow for some things to be different than reality. Here dead men do tell tales.

A sure fire way to find yourself and your SQ dead is to linger after a successful attack. Sure you killed 6 guys, and the flag is moving now. But garen-damn-tee that they will be back. They have told the team right where you are. In fact there is going to be one dude who didnt give up yelling on mumble and voip "there are guys on my body!!!".

Shoot, kill, confirm, move.

Originally posted by Ytman View Post
                And these are squad leaders that just outshine every other freaking one out there.
                Funny thing is its super hard to write these. Everything about leading a SQ has now just become second nature. I dont have to think about drawing fire to cite my last example. Its not even something I usually tell the SQ that we are going to be doing. It just happens, on its own with out much thought.

the number 1 piece of advice to give to Inf SQ leaders out there.

give your SQ just enough information to accomplish their tasks. They do not need to be flooded with the hows and the whys.

"shoot here"
                "why"
                "because I said so"
                doYouEvenLuftwaffe

Comment

Excellent!
                  I was quite unspecific about what to post so I'll place some more stuff here, such as kit layout.
                  I like to use 2 riflemen, 1 medic, 1 SAW and a grenadier, although I know that some people use marksman? Anyone who incorporates marksman kits into their loadout want to chip in and tell us why it's good?

You may even post your tendencies. So, for example, do you like to recon an objective before attacking it? Or do you run in their with hopes for the best. When defending do you spread your forces out a bit to maximise avaliable fields of fire and view? Or do you just pile into one building and sit there covering the doors.

sigpic

Comment

The other guys already said it but:

Number 1 thing is to know your enemy and to make him think he knows you, everything else is situational.
                    |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

I would echo what some have already said; "Shoot and scoot." Once you enter an engagement and start taking fire, pull back and to the left, or back and to the right. Find some cover and a new firing position. Keep them on their toes and thinking that the fire is coming from all directions. If you are unable to achieve fire superiority, fall back, regroup and rethink your tactics.

As far as a different tactic, if you have a vehicle such as a HUMVEE, techie, civi car, etc., I like to drop a few guys off with rockets and heavy weapons at an ambush point in or near the enemy AO. I will then take the vehicle out to find trouble. Upon finding trouble, I will try to get them to follow me back to the ambush and let the lead fly. This works especially well as insurgents because BluFor always think they have the upper hand and they over-commit with inadequate forces.

Comment

Too much micro...

PR is macro.

Comment

Originally posted by LudacrisKill View Post
                          Too much micro...

PR is macro.
                          Sadly this has an element of truth to it. Far too many 'successful' teams do well simply by weight of numbers and the endlessly forgiving revive mechanic etc. I have been part of teams that on a squad level were poor but were able to leverage the teams 'mass' effectively and were simply more organised. They won because maps are big, with few players on and they were able to get to each target quicker etc and bring more firepower to bear. This is fine and very organised. However it doesn't interest me one bit bizarrely.

When I have time to play properly (and admittedly I have a soft spot for previous versions) my interest rests firmly with getting my squad to be as effective as I can. To have my little squad always have their angles covered, to be able to perform a fighting advance to and through contact, to pull off a fighting withdrawal with bounding suppression etc. On some levels I have no interest in moving about in a massive blob unless each constituent part is working perfectly. I'd rather get my orders from the CO and then work with one other Inf SL once I have my stuff together. You learn little in my experience about squad play by simply being involved in a steam roller.

Every Macro is made up of lots of little micro's. Get your Micro sorted, then work on your macro if your SL. Walk before you can run, no matter how much the game or team will cover for you, you'll know you're a rabble lol.

Comment

In my mind PR begins and ends with the Squad Leader. The CO is there, and he acts as a binding force, but as this is a game and only simulates the battle and not the creation of a force the CO can only offer an organized strategy and try to help the team react to the flow of battle.

From the perspective of the CO everything is MACRO; section 1 moves there and kills a tank, section 2 moves here and is ambushed, etc etc. However, what appears to be MACRO is, as Wicks says, made up of many MICROS.

The Burning Sands scrim ended 14-0 as you know. In many ways I failed the team on a MACRO level, but in the same token, it was the MICRO effort of a single Challenger that destroyed my entire capping force at the last flag stopping a cap out and destroying all my efforts at a staggering victory.

I had a mass of squads and armor, I also had two tanks to the south, yet this little stupid Challenger (that two tanks just couldn't kill I really regret not having the best gunners in those tanks at that moment) was able to save the Brits from total defeat and turned the battle completely around.

In a perfect world the CO never worries about the micro, he worries about the macro. On a macro level I would have won by cap out. On a micro level the cap out failed. If all the squad leaders have the micro under control... well then the game is really macro.

Edit:

This thread says simply "Tacticts"

in war tactics are micro.

Strategy is macro.

Comment

My favorite is move to engagement in pairs of 2 squad formation. Basically, column formation with weapons arrayed in a certain order, depending on the mission. Spot, deploy, mass fire, mop up, reform, move. I do it over and over and over in PR - that is what I do.

I have a whole class based on it I teach in TGU.

That is my favorite thing in PR (besides flying the Huey).
                              sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X