Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Al Basrah (Or why I'm not going commander until next version)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Al Basrah (Or why I'm not going commander until next version)

Okay, so I just disconnected in total fatigue after an attempt to repair an Al Basrah round that went to total hell. I took time to try and organize the team at the start, and we had a pretty clear strategy going in. Then things start going to hell. Tried to convoy out to the south side of the map to hit the cache from the south. Lead APC driver disconnects, so the team gets further delayed going out. Then we get to the river and try and build a CSB. After dodging mortars trying to get the CSB up, we try crossing and end up losing the tank and several rovers. 40 minutes of relative chaos later, strategy gone to hell, insurgents winning long range firefights, not a single cache down, and my own team bitching at me for not taking them off the leash (and lost credibility to my SL's for not leading them to victory), then bitching at me for not organizing them when I release them. I resigned in disgust and disgrace.

I see why nobody goes commander these days. I felt like total **** coming out of that round. I also feel like a complete incompetent, even though people were assuring me its not my fault. AARRRGHHH!!!! *smashes keyboard

What the blazes am I supposed to do as a commander? I felt like I was saying the right things, but we still essentially failed!
    Last edited by JaFaR Ironclad; 02-24-2011, 08:19 PM.
    Whether by air or on land
    foes crumble at my command.

JaFaR Ironclad, at your service.

Re: Al Basrah (Or why I'm not going commander until next version)

so cliff notes..

1. you tried to go CO
    2. your team started to not do well
    3. you gave up
    4. you blamed the game

Cool man.
    doYouEvenLuftwaffe

Comment

A true commander would:

1) Lose Match
      2) Smash Keyboard as you said (Whatever makes you happy)
      3)Get right back at CO'ing and try to improve on your mistakes instead of giving up because of one round that diddnt go your way.

You can't always win. No reason to freak out, cry and give up. Learn from what went wrong and try again.

Comment

darn stright

Take stock of what happend.

Figure out where you went wrong.

If you want to vent to public do it in a constructive way.

Ask the SL's of the team to tell you what they would have done different. heed their advice, and get back on the horse.
        doYouEvenLuftwaffe

Comment

Just my 2 cents:

I think your plan you came up with was feasable. Ultimately, the random players making stupid comments (Solstar and the rest) didn't help the rest of the team focus on the task at hand. For Basrah, my only critique to the plan is to get everybody over those bridges and fobs built ASAP or else they are all cut and gary is out in force awaiting your attack. Unfortunately, we allowed the enemy to dig in, cut bridges, and shape the battlefield in their favor during the first 10 minutes of inaction.

Basrah is a map designed wayyy back in.... .5? I myself do not think it fits the current asset loadout we currently play with. In the end, the only strategy I've EVER seen work in basrah is chaos. Squads trying to infiltrate the city on their own keeps the enemy spread enough to be able to effectively kill them. As soon as 2-3 squads are in and roaming the city, the enemy can't swarm and the caches go down within the next 30 minutes. It always seems on this map if you have a full frontal assault, if the bomb cars don't get you, the swarm of enemy at the city's edge mow you down as soon as you enter the first block.

I say give it another go, but not on a fundamentally flawed map!
          Murderous

Comment

Cool story, bro.

Comment

You're entitled to vent publicly, bro. Nobody else would understand but the geeks reading this right now.

Whatever you do, don't get so frustrated that you peace out and never come back. This game is in your blood. Sleep on it a few and get back into the game.

Comment

Originally posted by JaFaR Ironclad View Post
                I see why nobody goes commander these days. I felt like total **** coming out of that round. I also feel like a complete incompetent, even though people were assuring me its not my fault. AARRRGHHH!!!! *smashes keyboard

What the blazes am I supposed to do as a commander? I felt like I was saying the right things, but we still essentially failed!
                Feeling like [poopoo] after a round of losing as a CO is a generally normal experience. Your job is to lead your team to victory and you failed them and yourself. I know after a round of Muttrah recently I left from winning feeling like total [poop]. The round felt more like me bashing my head into concrete and some how comming out on top.... nothing fun about it.

Of course when you win, and win well, like PW as the Brits on Dragonfly INF layer ^_^ (that was perhaps the single defining COing experience I've had) you feel estactic.

What seperates your team from victory or defeat can be a lot of things, many of which in a Pub or even a passworded round you don't control. You just have to understand that even if you hold the CO seat and you have this perfect plan it wont last the first minute of the battle. Add to that that a lot of your plan will be lost in transaltion when it goes down the line of command and it gets even worse.

Cougar says it well. Find out what went wrong and take measures to ensure that it doesn't go wrong again. Some of it will be your strategy and some of it will be your team's tactics. Yet more will be finding the appropriate response to the enemy attacks or actions.

Comment

Discalimer - this is all my personal opinion. I wasn't in this game. Do not assume that any generalizations are pointed at you./disclaimer

Sometimes when a savvy commander takes on the role to lead a team to victory he forgets one small thing. This is still a game.

And while we all like to be part of a team and lead squads and be led by our superiors in a military simulation environment - we still like to have fun.

TG offers players of all types of backgrounds, playstyles and PR experience to enjoy the BF2:PR mod. Not all players are used to having a commander.
                  Not all squads are right for every task. And everyone has the occasional off day that luck just doesn't want to deal with.

In a scrim situation a commander would form squads, delegate tasks, assign kits ect ect. Which is proper and well.
                  But on a public pick up match you work with what you can get. Everyone is there of their own free will to serve the purpose of playing a fun game.
                  So when you look at squads as they have formed naturally there will always be a thin line between asking, ordering and abusing.

Keeping the Public Team Commander Mind Set is Intergral for everyones sanity.

As commanders go, we have seen in the past that dictators don't last long on the server. Apparently neither do drunks now eh?

I am in no way implying that you are either. I was not in game when you led. But know you're a respected leader in the community from you contributions and past encounters.

But even goodwilled commanders wanting to lead on a Public Match need to keep an open mind to the interests and desires of their troops - especially on a public server.
                  We are all gamers that like to do certain things and strive to be succesful at them. We all like playing on the best server around and like it because of the maturity.

So when leading, using a soft touch like a pickpocket is best bet. If you are unfamilar with a squad leader or a large number of its members - communicate with the squad and let them make some choices of their own - it makes the game more fun to play. If you ask to attack, give the squad options or leave it open ended so they can make a choice that fits their situation best. Afterall, the commander isnt in the trenches with them.

Example of order gone wrong:
                  Commander tells infantry squad 5 to attack the air strip from his placed waypoint A - even though the squad is no where near waypoint A. The squad then has to risk being picked off to move towards waypoint A to attack from the direction that you placed as the Order. Their kit arament was setup to take out light vehicles and attack from a range - yet you order them to waypoint A that happens to be close quarters engagments. The squad dies because they were ilequiped and unprepared. They lose moral. And start to not listen to the commanders requests. Start to break the primer rule of obeying the chain of commander and the squad leader gets warned and kicked. The rest of his squad loses focus and wanders around waiting to be led again. Mean while everyone who was involved loses respect for the commander.

It's a situation that is plausable and unfair to all parties involved.

So this goes back to respecting each other.

There are many players in this game who are great at varied tasks in game. I would never run a tank squad if I had the choice. And would be hesitant to listen to a commander if asked to do it. We should all be more open to communicate with each other. Fun gameplay is after all, at the core, why we're all hear isn't it? Let's make sure we keep it in mind.

And keep at the CO thing!!! We need more good commanders!!!

The 189th Infantry Brigade: Taking the 'the' out of psychotherapist since 2010.

XFire: mrthomasking

Comment

Spot on with the whole "Pub" COing.

However,

Originally posted by TomKing View Post
                    Example of order gone wrong:
                    Commander tells infantry squad 5 to attack the air strip from his placed waypoint A - even though the squad is no where near waypoint A. The squad then has to risk being picked off to move towards waypoint A to attack from the direction that you placed as the Order. Their kit arament was setup to take out light vehicles and attack from a range - yet you order them to waypoint A that happens to be close quarters engagments. The squad dies because they were ilequiped and unprepared. They lose moral. And start to not listen to the commanders requests. Start to break the primer rule of obeying the chain of commander and the squad leader gets warned and kicked. The rest of his squad loses focus and wanders around waiting to be led again. Mean while everyone who was involved loses respect for the commander.

It's a situation that is plausable and unfair to all parties involved.
                    I just want to say that the CO should lose no respect from the squad. The squad could say; CO we aren't equipped, we aren't able to comply, thats a bad idea, etc. etc. Communication is good! I feel, and I might be wrong, that the 189th doesn't like me too well. So... I just had to respond.

Comment

Take stock, even if your strategy was sound, could your delivery have been better. Could your handling of less disciplined squads been better.

Remember that sometimes you will be bested and there is no shame in that. Sometimes it will be your fault, sometimes someone will let you down, sometimes it will be dumb luck.

Remember, that you ain't a rifleman, when he gets it wrong he dies and gets revived. When you get it wrong the team fails, there is no revive. However when you get it right, when you nail it, you have orchestrated something beautiful. You stepped up, took on the biggest responsibility there is, wrestled with a whole team and your opposite number and you pulled it off. The biggest prizes have the biggest costs.

Don't get dispirited, I have massive respect for players that step up. As a now forgotten SL in PR I love a CO that gives me a task. I will kill myself doing my best for that guy.

You lost, pick yourself up, work out what could be done better, tell me you are playing as Co and point me at what you want me to try and kill for you.

Comment

Third's potentially useless comment of the day...

We can take the game too seriously. I do this all the time, and when i'm in my serious mode and something is not right in my universe, I can get rather angry to be completely honest. It's a fault.

I guess what i'm trying to say, is that you, like me, we just LOVE TOO MUCH... that's right. We do. You know this, I know this.. i see how you treat this game, its players, and the whole TG / PR lovenest. You can't fool me Jafar.... Third sees all.

Take a couple days off, occupy yourself with other things, the game is sweeter the longer you've been away.
                        Q: How many members of Congress does it take to change a light bulb?
                        A: None. There is nothing wrong with the light bulb; its conditions are improving every day. Any reports of its lack of incandescence are delusional spin from the liberal media. That light bulb has served honorably, and anything you say undermines the lighting effort. Why do you hate freedom?!?

Comment

Excellent post, Tom.

+1
                          CR8Z: "No, I've not been good, but as an American, I'm entitled to everything I want."

Comment

It's fantastic to have a Commander that knows what they want, mainly because it gives the SL's a person to coordinate with and can offer a great gameplay experience.

But as has been stated, everybody's there for a game. If a random person decides to not care what you say and plays their own game as SL and leads their squad where they want to go, there is very little you can do to actually control them if anything. About the only thing you could ever do was not approve their requests if you feel they are not helping the team at all.

I am easing back into PR after an absence, so you still need Commander approval for some things? I know you used to have to get approval on various gameplay mechanics, weapons, stuff like that. I should really go refresh myself by reading, but playing as a Squad Member for a while should help me ensure I am up to date on what's what. ;)

Comment

That is not correct.

3. Follow the chain of command

CliffsNotes version: Do what your squad leader says. If you are a squad leader, do what your CO says.

* Tactical Gamer requires players to follow the orders of their squad leaders and/or their commander. Failure to follow orders can result in removal from the server. To avoid any conflicts, make sure that you communicate with the commanding officer.
                              * Additional rules to be followed regarding orders:
                              o 3a. Squads require at least two players to be locked.
                              o 3b. Players may not take a vehicle currently in use by another squad. Once a vehicle has left the main it is considered to be in use and permission must be received from the squad that took the vehicle or the commanding officer before another squad may take that vehicle.
                              o 3c. Vehicle assets may be assigned to a specific squad only through the orders of the commanding officer. If there is no commanding officer, vehicle assets are available on a first-come, first-serve basis.
                              doYouEvenLuftwaffe

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X