Strategic Tips From Shijia Valley Scrim

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strategic Tips From Shijia Valley Scrim

GG everyone, the Shijia Valley Scrimmage was a lot of fun, thanks to all those who set it up.

But now, afterwards, I'm curious to hear any reasons why people think the Chinese won over the British. Now, I know that just because one team won doesn't mean that they did everything right and just because one team lost doesn't mean they didn't play well, but there are certainly good and bad things that each team did. I'm hoping to play commander in PR at some point, so I'm looking for any advice or tips to be taken from the match, thanks.

I know there's another thread about the Scrim, but most of the talk in the thread is about general comments, thanks and whatnot, and this thread is for specifics.
    sigpic

Re: Strategic Tips From Shijia Valley Scrim

Initially I think the GB team miss calculated the location we believed the battle would take place. I think we thought it would be in the major town when in fact the decisive point of battle was at the Power Plant. By the time we noticed this we were behind the curve and couldn't find a place to offset the PLA offensive. Great AT work by the PLA as well. GB lost a lot of armor. IMHO.
    What's weird about a young goats head, smoking a joint, tied with a scarf to a mobile artillery gun? - Jeepo

Killing threads since 2007

| |

Comment

Mechanized infantry was how I approached the battle. The Armor was assigned to work with MasterJack, the IFVs assigned to Disco/Boogy, and Chris had his little VN-3.

I knew logistics would be an issue and I knew that if we could take out your armor early we'd have a better chance at capping you out. With this in mind I made sure that our armor was always with infantry and was never in threat of dying themselves. I think the biggest part of our success is attributed to keeping Power Plant in play while decimating the initial UK armor forces.

Supplies were really important and sparce and placement of FOs away from the battle mattered the most. We had about 4 FOs around the City after about 15 minutes or so. No CO rally by then though.

The CO rally however was integral in our attacks, without a dedicated transhelo squad I knew this would be the case and made the squads fit this outlook. I had to place about two CO rallys down on the Power Plant CP before we caught it.

Speed was also a huge part of our success. Mobile infantry was where we shined, always making sure they had transit. Only when we expended all of our transport trying to cap GB Supply Depot did we start losing our momentum.

For those interested this is how I organized the team:

Inf1 DiscoJedi---> Ifv1 Viking
      Inf2 Boogy---> Ifv2 Alpha
      Inf3 Chrisweb (VN-3)
      Inf4 Masterjack (Defensive)--> MBT1 Warlab (defensive)

CAS Jafar
      Logistics bullseye

All infantry squads were five men strong when possible, since Boogy's computer had a heart attack his squad went to 4. This is a key part of my ideas on infantry combat, its not the number of people but the number of squads that can attack from different angles. Combine that with the fact that an IFV with only 5 infantry inside gives the CO room to fit means he can place a CO rally with ease.

Tying IFVs to infantry is a big part of the 4km maps, they make up for the big distance between main and the CPs.

Comment

It also should be noted that the flags were heavily in China's favor, at least in my opinion.

"All of you stay frickin high speed. All you stay on your frickin primaries and frickin slay bodies all day long. Good to go" -Combat Ninja lol

Comment

Really if it weren't for Discojedi making sure power plant wasn't secured until after we started getting the City things might have been very differnt. Remember nearly 4km seperated us from the second and third flags where as the british have two flags after thier first within 3km. Really we could not have let that city go to the british or we'd be all the way back at our main! Train bridge is a hard flag to defend but thats about all I can see going against the brits on that layout.

Comment

Yeah you cant defend the train bridge from the british side as far as I could see but you should be able to get onto it in cover from the chinese side. This I think would become a problem but yeah the chinese took the initiative in the first ten minutes and from then on it was pretty onesided.
            If people are becoming so bored when playing that they have to resort to this immature behaviour I will give them something to do, call it a project. The project is "appeal a ban". - Wicks

Comment

CO rally helped a lot since it took about 15min to get crates for a FB. We could keep our momentum because of it by keeping a constant "FB" on the front lines.
              Viking

Comment

hindsight from my perspective would have been for us to have utilised the apache a bit more.

i felt bit useless when i was sat in the lynx hearing infantry squads reporting heavy armour contacts, perhaps if we'd been able to take out a few of your armoured assets would have relieved some pressure off our inf. especially if we'd nailed your APCs which we now know to have been a key piece in your gameplan

but then hindsight is a wonderful thing
                AnimalMother
                Ex TG-31st LR
                "Is it the 31st policy to have hott women as their avatars? Because if so that's a pretty baddass policy." - Pvt. brokeback
                sigpic

Arte et Marte

Comment

Originally posted by Katanama View Post
                  Yeah you cant defend the train bridge from the british side as far as I could see but you should be able to get onto it in cover from the chinese side. This I think would become a problem but yeah the chinese took the initiative in the first ten minutes and from then on it was pretty onesided.
                  We attacked Train Bridge from the north I believe. With a tank, an IFV-INF squad, and Chris' squad acting as a vangaurd. I see no cover at all on that flag, maintaining the flag is all about keeping the small amount of enemy armor (4 peices given at any one moment) away. Considering that the flag is so near the British, but far away from PLA, I feel that the best way for them to defend it is by luring the PLA near the radius into a waiting AT ambush, mines would also be a wonderful tool to use there. Once the PLA armor is delt with you can start pushing back for the next 10-20 minutes the PLA has no armored strenght.

This was seen when GB Supply Depot went into play; all of our armor went down in attempt at taking that flag. Something that I should have protected against. Infantry wise we could not go up against your tanks and IFVs by then and were just torn apart when the GB armor rolled in to the train bridge.

Holding train bridge is more like securing the bridge head.

Comment

Our armor failed miserably. This was my fault.

The map makes armor usage very, very difficult. The view distances create a rather large disadvantage for the armor against infantry AT, as the infantry can sit in ambush positions and hear the armor coming. By the time both are in view-distance of one-another, the infantry know exactly where the armor will be but the armor doesn't have a clue where the infantry is. Result is a dead tank or apc. It's almost like a turkey-shoot. Couple that with the mobility of a VN-3, it's ammo capacity and the ability to transport a H-AT and there really is no point to having your armor in the field as it's just a waste of tickets.

As far the round went, we didn't truly understand what was at Power Plant as our focus was to force the fight in the city. Doing this made us rely on our air transport for logistics, but control of Power Plant and the area north of the city by the PLA eventually shut down our logistics routes and left us behind the eight ball the entire time. The flags in the one corner of the map make it very difficult for a team to gain access to the area once they lose the advantage as the number of routes that can be approached are effectively cut in half.

GG PLA team

"You milsim guys are ruining the game."

Comment

The map is a HAT's dream, so much cover and concealment with bushes, little hills, and many other places to hide. I think most of our shots on your armor were in the rear.

"All of you stay frickin high speed. All you stay on your frickin primaries and frickin slay bodies all day long. Good to go" -Combat Ninja lol

Comment

The VN-3 is a significant advantage that the PLA have. It is by far the single best land vehicle in my opinion, low ticket cost, high transport capability, an ammo crate, speed, manuverability, and even firepower to match an APC. Its no wonder many people mistake it for an APC! I do feel that type of vehicle needs a class of its own, perhaps have it cost 5 tickets and have a 8-10 minute respawn time. Putting it on par with the Rover/Humvee is a diservice to its utility and power but classing it with an IFV/APC is going too far.

Still, a mobile attack squad only needs wheels and an AT weapon. The rover would have sufficed Chris if limited him somewhat.

------

After the round I was talking with Keating about how the game played out. He seemed shocked that only two squads, one being a 4 man squad due to Boogy's gpu dying (the other was 5), were focused on Zhongyun and were capable of holding their own against three full squads of 6. Eventually I did have to call back my third and forth squads, Disco and chris, so that we could cap. What I take from that encounter was the fact that our logistics were superior to that of the british which allowed our squads quick reinsertion when they died.

I'm not sure if I convinced him but I do feel that when it comes to strategy FOs and numbers win the battles not only one.

I also want to add that on a map so harsh to logistics the CO rally is a necessity for any blitzing offensive. It was, I feel, a key component into our securing Power Plant, and had I been able to get to depot much earlier would have afforded us a cap I feel.

Comment

I was running an infantry squad on Alpha. With regards to your Inf in the city. It just seemed like you moved quicker and didn't get bogged down in fights you couldn't win or had no need for. Cougar's squad on point bore the brunt of it and seemed to run into the 'mass' of your infantry which had support. I was able to sit on the city flags the whole time, however I couldn't cap due to your superior numbers. I killed the infantry I found but due to us not having power plant, or barely having it, I wasn't able to adopt a more aggressive stance and pursue inf on the flags.

PLA played reallly, really well. I dislike saying Brits did this or that wrong as it detracts from a well played game by Bravo. However if Brits were to have done things differently I would have liked to have seen us have a better plan for securing power plant instead of assuming we would just cap it. I think our armour should have been deployed in a more cautious overall strategy with some inf support. In addition I would have liked to see more FOB's and faster movement. Still, as they say, hindsight is everything.

Overall I just think PLA played very well and we didnt' lol.

GG

Comment

I was in jack's defensive squad in the city. We seemed to get chewed up everywhere we went (i think our kdr in the first third of the scrim was something like 2:14). Reviving didn't seem much of a priority. We just kept respawning on one of the many fobs.

Eventually we gave up going places. We set up defensive positions in the city and although we didn't see much action, we kept bodies on the flag.

In the last third we joined the push on power plant then on gb hq. Our medic was the lone last chinese man crawling out of there when you squashed our attack :)

[Spartan 9]

Comment

Originally posted by A.WICKENS View Post

PLA played reallly, really well. I dislike saying Brits did this or that wrong as it detracts from a well played game by Bravo. However if Brits were to have done things differently I would have liked to have seen us have a better plan for securing power plant instead of assuming we would just cap it. I think our armour should have been deployed in a more cautious overall strategy with some inf support. In addition I would have liked to see more FOB's and faster movement. Still, as they say, hindsight is everything.
                              To me, our fight was lost when we relied on the armor to cap the back flags with no infantry support. In hindsight, probably not the best of plans, but you live and you learn.

"You milsim guys are ruining the game."

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X