[ARMA] Need some input.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [ARMA] Need some input.

We've had some discussion in the pathfinder forums on doing a TVT event for ARMA. To make this as easy as possible for any new people who may not have made the leap to ARMA were doing a vanilla set. So ARMA 2 plus the OA expansion, no mods. Wanted to get the opinion of the PR players and especialy thoes who might own ARMA but not have gotten involved here at TG.

Re: [ARMA] Need some input.

I would welcome it. Despite having some IHS guys already running it, I think a Saturday 'event' would finally push me (and many others) over the edge to get into the game and experience it with some fellow flesh and blood humans instead of AI.
    Q: How many members of Congress does it take to change a light bulb?
    A: None. There is nothing wrong with the light bulb; its conditions are improving every day. Any reports of its lack of incandescence are delusional spin from the liberal media. That light bulb has served honorably, and anything you say undermines the lighting effort. Why do you hate freedom?!?

Comment

I would be interested in a special event.

Comment

Very much interested. Most of the 189th has ARMA and are playing on the Bravo server.
        sigpic

Comment

as long as we dont have to deal with the mods and launchers and command lines and proper distribution placement and patching the extra mods and all that fun stuff.... sure. out of curiosity, could someone just put all the stuff we need into one zip file and have it all extract itself with out all the bother? every time i start to want to play ARMA i look at the 8 page install directions and louse interest.

Comment

Originally posted by mantak09 View Post
            as long as we dont have to deal with the mods and launchers and command lines and proper distribution placement and patching the extra mods and all that fun stuff.... sure. out of curiosity, could someone just put all the stuff we need into one zip file and have it all extract itself with out all the bother? every time i start to want to play ARMA i look at the 8 page install directions and louse interest.
            Its pretty much just two files now but still I understand were your coming from.

Comment

witch 2? i looked a the bravo server and it had a list of 8-10 mods running

Comment

Originally posted by mantak09 View Post
                It's actually far easier to get running than it's made out to be when looking at the forums. The process is made too complicated with the variety of documents and links you have to follow.

* Install ArmA2
                * Install ArmA2 OA
                * Install the AutoAddonSync tool and fill out the server info for TG to include the IP address and an auto-update URL.
                * Click the button in AddonSync to download and install all the content for you automagically.
                * Play Game

I installed the game through Steam and the process wasn't too bad once I figured out that it is portrayed as complicated when it really isn't. The only major gotchya I came across was that I didn't launch the game through Steam before trying to launch it through AddOnSync. If you install through Steam you need to launch the game at least once so it can set up the embedded CD-Key and "finalize" the installation. After that, you can just use AddOnSync as your game launcher to make sure you're all updated and let it connect you to the TG server.

I brought these very concerns up with Dredge yesterday and he's working to resolve it. I might very well do my OWN quick-start guide to ArmA2 and make something easy for people to follow that want to get involved with simple screenshots and easy-to-find information. The game has great potential, but the process as currently defined scares too many people away from even TRYING to play.
                Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

What Apohis said all though unless they changed something you seem to have missed the part of ACRE I belive its still a seaaprate install.

Comment

Originally posted by johnflenaly View Post
                    What Apohis said all though unless they changed something you seem to have missed the part of ACRE I belive its still a seaaprate install.
                    I thought you guys were talking about playing on Alpha. I thought ACRE was only required on Bravo. I haven't gotten that far yet (playing on Bravo) but I'm sure it can be made just as simple with the right approach.
                    Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

I love those kind of links. KISS me. (Keep It Simple Stupid)

Comment

very much interested! I'm learning the basics, so I could use a vanilla scrim of some sort!

Comment

To add to Apophis's comments, getting Arma 2:OA up and running for the Alpha server is way easier than people think. Later you can 'upgrade' to the stuff you need for the Bravo server, ie ACRE etc.

It's actually a very natural progression, you install the basics to play on Alpha and find your feet in the game. Once you have got your head around that you can then look at expanding your experience and trying the stuff needed for Bravo. In fact this is one of the interesting things about Arma in general, that you can keep on expanding it, adding new stuff, missions, equipment, islands, AI routines etc.

To me Arma is where I want online FPS's to go and Bohemia are a developer I am starting to really, really admire.

Comment

Originally posted by Apophis View Post
                            I thought you guys were talking about playing on Alpha. I thought ACRE was only required on Bravo. I haven't gotten that far yet (playing on Bravo) but I'm sure it can be made just as simple with the right approach.
                            Well acutally alpha is a vanilla server, you just need ARMA 2 + OA, bravo is the server that you really need addon sync for.

Comment

I have Arma2 but uninstalled it almost immediatly. I bought it at launch and it was confusing, buggy and unplayable.

Over the last year i have heard many good stories about it though. If I wanted to give it another go would I need to buy an add on for this?

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X