This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lase and counter lase

Is a pilot responsible to verify his target before dropping on a lase ?
    If a pilot drops on an uncalled for and unmarked lase and kills 5 people, is it his fault or enemy action ?
    I say you are responsible to confirm your targets, no different than any other weapons platform.
    You have to be trusted by the people that you lie to,
    So that when they turn their backs on you,
    You'll get the chance to put the knife in.Pink Floyd "Dogs"

Re: Lase and counter lase

Originally posted by CallousDisregard View Post
    Is a pilot responsible to verify his target before dropping on a lase ?
    If a pilot drops on an uncalled for and unmarked lase and kills 5 people, is it his fault or enemy action ?
    I say you are responsible to confirm your targets, no different than any other weapons platform.
    1. Spotter lazes
    2. Spotter asks CAS for run
    3. CAS confirms laze with spotter
    4. CAS comes in, drops bomb on confirmed laze.

Now if right before CAS drops the bomb the enemy hears him coming and counter-lazes, the spotter neither the pilot would know or have the time to react.

Comment

If no target laze was called by teammates, guilty!
      Q: How many members of Congress does it take to change a light bulb?
      A: None. There is nothing wrong with the light bulb; its conditions are improving every day. Any reports of its lack of incandescence are delusional spin from the liberal media. That light bulb has served honorably, and anything you say undermines the lighting effort. Why do you hate freedom?!?

Comment

Callous as I told you on the server shortly after you got angry Kwalc about the accident, it wasn't his fault. I saw a lase on my TOW and I saw you squad all in a nicely grouped spot on the bunker roof not more than 400m away. I lased you about 5 seconds before Kwalc came in and dropped his bomb on his spotter's target(my TOW and inf standing nearby), because of BF2s laser system and how guided weapons work the bomb went to my lase istead of the spotter's. In no way could he have stopped this from happening other than dive bombing to make sure the proper lase is closest to the lock angle or use a different weapon. This is nothing like any other weapons platform because he doesn't manually control the weapon, the weapon says it is locked onto his target and he drops, then after that its all luck and positioning.
        |TG-69th|chrisweb89

Comment

400m cep for competing lases ?
          That seems like a lot.
          We weren't aware that he had a target there so I guess better comms between the air branch and the groundpounders is required.
          And for the record, I got annoyed because REDCOBRA was insulting, not because a random bomb killed some blues with 20min left in a seeding round.
          I simply made the comment " FYI we are the blue dots", because I wasn't aware of the incoming Close Air Support since the only infantry squad on the team wasn't advised of the incoming "support".
          A "lol sorry" would have been fine and dandy with me, even silence would have been OK.
          But you TK a whole squad and then start talking **** and I get annoyed, call me a reactionary personality.
          You have to be trusted by the people that you lie to,
          So that when they turn their backs on you,
          You'll get the chance to put the knife in.Pink Floyd "Dogs"

Comment

More often than not a CAS pilot doesnt have enough time to manually verify the lases cause of diligent AA. So yeah it sucks if you get killed by a friendly jet but shiz happens. Take a deep breath, swear off mic, do some kind of rage outlet and be a man about it.
            sigpic

Do you really want invincible bears running around raping your churches and burning your women?

Intel i7 3930k @ 4.4ghz, 8gb RAM, 2x GTX 570 1gb, OCZ Vertex 3 120 gig SSD

Comment

I have seen bombs fly almost horizontal to hit their lases, 400m is northing especially when with the direction he flew, he went over both lases. If Im a spotter and I see a TOW that has killed 2 of my tema's tanks so far, the last thing I will worry about is telling the intry a bomb is coming in on the opposite side of a mountain, I will worry about my lase and guiding the jet on. If he did say CAS is inbound what would the difference have been? You tell your squad and they all pull their binoculars out to stare at big explosion?

As for the actions following the incident, I thought I had dealt with them fine at the moment it happened, so please stop ranting at a player in a public forum, or do something like a CAA post about it or a PM to him.
              |TG-69th|chrisweb89

Comment

Originally posted by CallousDisregard View Post
                400m cep for competing lases ?
                That seems like a lot.
                We weren't aware that he had a target there so I guess better comms between the air branch and the groundpounders is required.
                And for the record, I got annoyed because REDCOBRA was insulting, not because a random bomb killed some blues with 20min left in a seeding round.
                I simply made the comment " FYI we are the blue dots", because I wasn't aware of the incoming Close Air Support since the only infantry squad on the team wasn't advised of the incoming "support".
                A "lol sorry" would have been fine and dandy with me, even silence would have been OK.
                But you TK a whole squad and then start talking **** and I get annoyed, call me a reactionary personality.

1. you have to be aware of every target a spotter lazes?
                2. I TK'd 2 people with that bomb, not a whole squad as you're implying.
                3. cobra only talked back when he was being talked non-sense to about intentionally tk'ing friendlies.

You can't know every laze that is made. "Marking target for lazer guided bomb" shouldve have told you that a bombing was imminent and like chris said all wouldve taken out your binoculars to see and with the same end result.

Don't criticize and acuse people of intentionally TK'ing, when it was just a game flaw that the bomb locked on to the enemy laze instead of the friendly.

This has been my contribution to this thread.

Comment

It's just a game.

Seriously.

TK's happen.
                  Skud

Comment

Admin tip, remain respectful in game, players 'talking ####' will be removed, where I will talk to them, difference is you may have some difficulty logging back in after I'm done, get my drift.

It's a game, lets not turn what could be a very informative thread about CAS protocols, target identification, radio procedures etc into a petty round of 'he said, she said'. If you are disrespecting players on the server you are in the wrong, whoever 'started it'. Get a grip, act maturely and with respect.

Comment

We should look into ways of having people not hit counter lases.
                      Maybe an open house on a CO-OP server to check out lazer guided weapons and locks... We could set it up to see what exactly assists in a lock and what doesn't. I assume the distance is the most impacting point..

Comment

Its all about lock angle from the bomb not the aircraft, the weapon flies after the lase closest to the bomb's flight path and the smallest lock angle. This would mean that to be 90% sure that your bomb will only hit your target(there will always be a few errors) you have to dive bomb the target and point the plane and therefor the bomb directly at the lase instead of the safest way for the aircraft of flying level at 800 and dropping after lock. This highly accurate way you may aswell use an ATGM because any pro of the bomb(you dont have to point at the target, you can keep altitude) is completely taken away.
                        |TG-69th|chrisweb89

Comment

I imagine real use of a laser would have a timing sequence or strobe to it unique to the weapons and forces engaging

If you find yourself in a fair fight, then you have obviously failed to plan properly.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisweb89 View Post
                            Its all about lock angle from the bomb not the aircraft, the weapon flies after the lase closest to the bomb's flight path and the smallest lock angle.
                            Not sure if this is true.

You can drop a bomb without a lock. Then acquire a lock when the bomb is in mid flight and the bomb will go for that lock. So I sometimes drop the bomb from 1300 alt, dive, get a lock about 900 and the bomb changes direction half way through its flight. However, I have missed before, even when getting the lock after dropping the bomb. About 80% success rate.

I wouldn't mind testing these things with someone.

Comment

Wow never knew that, I think it still may have an effect when the bomb has two possible lases to go to, but I'm not 100% sure.
                              |TG-69th|chrisweb89

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X