This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teamkills and the Punish function.

Yesterday I got teamkilled by a TG member.
    In chat he/she says 'Sorry Luda <3'.
    I punish the teamkill as it was not my fault.

Subsequently I get in team chat:
    'omg punish?
    I take the sorry back
    Go die
    idiot'

Something along those lines.

After this incident a debate goes on in team chat about the rule of not punishing accidental teamkills and I'm being made the culprit and a rule breaker (some players took my side also).

I punish ALL teamkills that are not my fault. If I run into mortars, run into someone's fire, drive over a marked mine etc. I forgive. This is my ethos as I believe that it gives more incentive to be more careful. (Stray AAs I also forgive as the game mechanics are to blame).

Killing a friendly with an apc because you are too complaisant or lazy too look at the map or check your target is not an accidental team kill. Or am I missing the point?

I do not appreciate being talked to like that on public chat by a TG tagged member.

Some players on TG are so used to being forgiven over an over that even when THEY have teamkilled. They don't see it as THEIR fault and actually rage at the teamkilled player.

I get team attacked more on TG than on any other server. I even use the 'Cease fire' function BEFORE they have even shot as I know that more than likely, they will. I get stupid replies like 'Next time tell me you are near the enemy' or 'Don't pick up an enemy kit dumbass'.

Maybe I am wrong and the punish function should only be used for grief'ers that get kicked/banned from the server 30 seconds later anyway. I could not find a specific rule that disallows punishes for accidental team kills in the rule section. Sorry if I missed it.

Thanks
    Luda.

Re: Teamkills and the Punish function.

"Yesterday I got teamkilled by a TG member.
    I punish the teamkill as it was not my fault."

why? what do you accomplish with it?

someone make an obvious mistake and says sorry, then he/she will be punished. im sorry but where the f*ck is the logic in that?

Comment

I guess I'm a little more lenient and if the guy says sorry I don't mind just forgiving. He took the time to say sorry, so it mean's he will try and not do it again. Sure he has already done it, but if he does it a second time and does it by accident like the first time, then I may punish. As he clearly isn't looking out for friendlies. Do it once, I can forgive you, do it again, I'm a little less forgiving.

In fact I can't remember the last time I actually punished for a team kill.

Though I don't agree with that particular guy said or anything, but if I were that guy, I would have just sucked it up to be honest. After all this is just a game and you have to purely learn from mistakes and that guy has to remember it was his mistake, not the guy that was team killed.

But I guess from what I've seen from the TG community if they say sorry, it is just purely courtesy to not punish. But if they do punish, I don't think that guy has a right to complain even if they say sorry, since you have probably messed up whatever that guy had going.

That's just my personal take on it.

Don't fight a battle if you don't gain anything by winning.
      Erwin Rommel

Comment

In the end, Who cares?

Its a a few - points.
        doYouEvenLuftwaffe

Comment

Originally posted by Gore View Post
          "Yesterday I got teamkilled by a TG member.
          I punish the teamkill as it was not my fault."

someone make an obvious mistake and says sorry, then he/she will be punished. im sorry but where the f*ck is the logic in that?
          Pretty much this.

Comment

I have an automatic "forgive" reflex but I agree with LudacrisKill.
            A punish is almost meaningless in most contexts but not ID'ing your targets is a key issue in this game.
            Whining and crying about a punish, even if it was a mine kill or walking into a mortar, seems like spam to me.
            "Sorry" isn't some magic wand that eliminates the mistake, it's an expression that I'm sorry I TK'd, not a "get-out-jail-free" card.
            A "punish" is an extremely mild form of punishment for a teamkill.
            You have to be trusted by the people that you lie to,
            So that when they turn their backs on you,
            You'll get the chance to put the knife in.Pink Floyd "Dogs"

Comment

I wrote up this huge post about how i felt about this.... then I thought to myself.... WHY are you posting here about a stupid TK incident asking for opinions???? What does it matter?????

CliffsNotes version: Don't be a jerk. Treat others how you want to be treated.
              Q: How many members of Congress does it take to change a light bulb?
              A: None. There is nothing wrong with the light bulb; its conditions are improving every day. Any reports of its lack of incandescence are delusional spin from the liberal media. That light bulb has served honorably, and anything you say undermines the lighting effort. Why do you hate freedom?!?

Comment

Originally posted by Portable.Cougar View Post
                In the end, Who cares?

Its a a few - points.
                This post should fill this entire page. Over. And. Over.
                sigpic

Comment

Why can't we just treat each other nicely and reciprocate an apology with the simple act of forgiveness? Is that so hard? It's just a stupid video game, not life and death.

"You milsim guys are ruining the game."

Comment

What dispo says.

Now there are times where I let anger get me because I get tk'd due to absolute stupidity... but normally I don't care that much cause its an accident.

That being said who cares...

Comment

It is just a game.
                      And individual actions like this aren't that important.
                      But over time those small, almost insignificant actions do add up and they take away from the game.
                      Nip it in the bud.
                      You have to be trusted by the people that you lie to,
                      So that when they turn their backs on you,
                      You'll get the chance to put the knife in.Pink Floyd "Dogs"

Comment

I do agree with Luda's point of lack of identifying your targets ahead of time as being somewhat prominent in PR, however I also would like to say that its really impossible as an APC gunner to reference your map on EVERY target you get. A good gunner must know the uniforms of friendlies to avoid this as much as possible, but even the best APC gunners that know the uniforms and everything and has been gunning for years regularly will accidentally TK a friendly every now and again, albeit he will do it much less then someone who doesn't know the uniforms, check tags etc. of friendlies. Accidental TKs are really inevitable but there is room for improvement on the amount of them on the server however getting it down to 0 is simply impossible. I beleive accidental TKs (at least the first time it happens for the person) should be forgiven usually, though there's exceptions to every rule

Comment

Im not saying that people should punish all the time.

I just don't like the fact that some players rage if they DO get punished when its their fault in the first place.

Also I wanted clarification on the rule as I was accused of breaking one last night.

I have no hard feelings on any player if I get tk'd. I punish my clan mates too.

And ThirdSin 'CliffsNotes version: Don't be a jerk. Treat others how you want to be treated.'

Exactly, so why am I getting raged at in team chat?

I 'accidently' teamkill every so often but if I get punished I realise I deserved it. I don't start abusing openly.

Originally posted by Portable.Cougar View Post
                          In the end, Who cares?

Its a a few - points.
                          Well it looks like people really DO care and the person that got teamkilled will get the blunt end of the stick. This should not be the case.

Originally posted by Ytman View Post
                          What dispo says.

Now there are times where I let anger get me because I get tk'd due to absolute stupidity... but normally I don't care that much cause its an accident.

That being said who cares...
                          Please understand I don't get angry unless its a really stupid tk or the guy doesn't stop shooting for like 10 seconds even while spamming 'cease fire'. I understand getting tk'd will always be part of the game. I just don't like some players attitude and understanding of the punish function.

Originally posted by Gore View Post

You don't understand getting punished for making a mistake? 'Sorry' is courtesy, not a 'get out of jail free card'. If children say sorry, is that it? They get away with it? The fact that it is confusing for people is exactly my point.
                          Last edited by LudacrisKill; 05-14-2011, 02:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by LudacrisKill View Post
                            You don't understand getting punished for making a mistake? 'Sorry' is courtesy, not a 'get out of jail free card'. If children say sorry, is that it? They get away with it? The fact that it is confusing for people is exactly my point.
                            So if a cashier accidentially charge you for 2 bottles of milk instead of 1 at a supermarket, you'll immediately ask to get him fired? Obviously its an exaggeration, but its the same situation.

Comment

I have nothing to say against you Luda. I like you and the LP guys, but I just want to clarify something.

And ThirdSin 'CliffsNotes version: Don't be a jerk. Treat others how you want to be treated.'

Exactly, so why am I getting raged at in team chat?

I 'accidently' teamkill every so often but if I get punished I realise I deserved it. I don't start abusing openly.
                              The way that tagged player acted was totally wrong in my opinion. What he did was against the rules. I personally don't think you broke the rules.

Well it looks like people really DO care and the person that got teamkilled will get the blunt end of the stick. This should not be the case.
                              I agree. But usually I've found in the many years I've been playing here is that it is just like tradition not to punish if someone says sorry. (Tradition is probably the wrong word, but it is like that from what I've seen) Sorry means they will try not make it happen again, so a lot of people understandably think that further punishment is not needed, even if minor. :)

No offense but most of the people who play on TG aren't children. I would like to believe that if they made a genuine mistake they would try not to in future and learn from that mistake. If they say nothing, that irritates me a little, an apology is nice, but I still don't punish, unless it was on purpose or something totally stupid, then maybe I will have a change in opinion. But I haven't punished anyone who has tk'd me for a long time. But I guess it comes down to perspective and people are free to have their differing opinions on how these things are handled.

But really is punishing someone really going to make them think more about who they TK, when negative points are really, really minor. Can't we just be nice to each other. =P - Especially if they say sorry!

Don't fight a battle if you don't gain anything by winning.
                              Erwin Rommel

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X