Is mortars underused?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is mortars underused?

I somehow feel like mortars are not really used enough on the TG server. Wellplaced mortars, are extremely potent at breaking enemy positions, and generally scaring the enemy infantry into staying put. However, I only see mortars deployed in something like 1/3rd of the rounds I play on TG, and they're often only in use for a limited time.

Do you guys think that there should be more mortar usage, seeing how effective it can be?

Re: Is mortars underused?

Play with ytman, the mortar king.
    then ask that question again :P

Comment

Really depends on the map and the amount of teamwork/communication on the server at the time.

"All of you stay frickin high speed. All you stay on your frickin primaries and frickin slay bodies all day long. Good to go" -Combat Ninja lol

Comment

I like mortars, but what I don't like is when you have too many people in a mortar squad. I don't mind if you are doing something with those extra infantry, like helping cap, or if they back you up while spotting etc. - But really all you need is three people to go on mortars and you should be fine in my opinion. But I've seen mortar squads have 6 people and all I can see is those extra infantry who aren't on the mortars manning emplacements which aren't of any use but just to protect the mortars.

I can understand why you would want to defend a mortar position, but they should be in positions really where the likelihood of being attacked is 20% or lower.

If I run a mortar squad, I can either run it with one other person or 3 people in total. But usually I can rely on info in mumble from SLs where to fire mortars without having to spot.

Don't fight a battle if you don't gain anything by winning.
        Erwin Rommel

Comment

Mortar sqds = 3 man max.

1 Spotter 2 on mortars. I see way too many 6 man squads sitting ALL on the mortars and the SL manning them.

Baracuda/qwai are two maps that are ruled by mortars as the view distance is so big compared to the combat areas. I have a screenshot of getting 75 kills with mortars on barracuda (PRTA as Chinese) and 40 kills on qwai (PRWC friendly teamEU vs RUS as Chinese).

Generally 99% of players don't know how to use mortars effectively. Therefore not scoring many kills or helping the team in anyway. Mortars are way OP (over powered); being able to spam mortars anywhere you want within 45 seconds is way under appreciated.

Good mortar spot, lots of supplies without hindering fob count for the team, SL spots, 2 guys manning the mortars able to fix location within 10-15 seconds = mortars hitting very accurately 40-45 seconds after being called in.

Usually mortars are requested through comms, which is fine if the spotter cannot see the target. However, this usually means that there is a massive delay between needing the mortars and them actually hitting. I usually see mortars hit 2-3 mins after them being called in and very inaccurately at that.

Without a very high skilled mortar crew and a SL with a lot of PR experience, the mortar squad will fall very short of its potential and thats the main reason players don't do mortar squads often.

So if you are thinking of doing mortars...
          SL NEEDS to spot. (might aswel not bother otherwise)
          Max your sqd at 3.
          If you are taking a logi truck from the beginning of a round, think about building 2 fobs for the team first before going to build your mortars.
          Pick a good spot where its difficult to put an attack marker down on the mortar position from afar.
          Your crew need to be able to lock onto targets within 20 seconds at least.
          Spam mortars.
          Mortars are for; enemy mortars, enemy fobs, kills. In that order.

I can guarantee you will be a massive credit to your team if you can put a tick on all of those.

[Only use airburst, impact is ONLY for vehicles and bridges. Impact does more damage to emplacements than airburst but only if they hit RIGHT on. Generally you will do more damage with the splash from airbursts. You can survive impact from 10m away rather the 20 or so from airburst. Smoke is available.]

Comment

I try to call in mortars as often as possible, especially if Yt's playing. It's all about who's using them.
            sigpic PROJECT REALITY

Comment

I only run a 1 man mortar squad. It's the only way to go.

Comment

I don't do mortars cuz well I think its no fun. As simple as that. I think that's why its under used on TG. Most people want to come home after work/school and get a nice good round of inf/armor/cas in and have fun. For me doing mortars dsnt provide that fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Kwalc View Post
                  I don't do mortars cuz well I think its no fun. As simple as that. I think that's why its under used on TG. Most people want to come home after work/school and get a nice good round of inf/armor/cas in and have fun. For me doing mortars dsnt provide that fun.
                  Argument doesn't make much sense to me. Everyone enjoys different things in different ways. May as well say "I think (american)soccer is unpopular in the US because I have more fun playing (American)Football..."

The whole thing about the mortar squad is the necessity of working with the TEAM and communicating with the SL's.
                  It's a bit different from infantry in that Mortars have such a large impact on the TEAM's performance if they are run poorly. Prime examples of this which people love to hate mortars for include;

σ Improper use of Logistics assets
                  σ Ineffective use of manpower

A 4 man infantry squad that is fighting their own war somewhere on the map not helping the team effort - Is still more productive than a Mortar team that has monopolized logistics assets and 5 men to build a FOB no where near a flag and is not communicating effectively to hit targets.

My point is that you need to think more globally as a Mortar SL in order to be successful in the eyes of the team. Infantry leading takes much less skill and effort to help the team, by being in the field shooting, you are doing something productive while not adversely affecting your team (yes you could do better, but you don't hurt as much as a badly managed mortar squad).

In the end, mortars are a thinking man's PR ;) If you fail to plan you plan to fail.
                  Originally posted by ThirdSin View Post
                  σ Have a plan, be a small detachment, or a defensive presence.
                  Q: How many members of Congress does it take to change a light bulb?
                  A: None. There is nothing wrong with the light bulb; its conditions are improving every day. Any reports of its lack of incandescence are delusional spin from the liberal media. That light bulb has served honorably, and anything you say undermines the lighting effort. Why do you hate freedom?!?

Comment

Mortars are the superior form of fire support for anything stationary with a quick call time. The biggest thing seperating the mortars from just being good to being amazing is as luda said small confined battle spaces (which allow for a very simplistic form of fire calling) and good observation. They are completely over powered when used properly on the smaller maps with geographical protection from assaults. The only arguement I'd have for four/five people is when combining the team with a recce element as well as anticipating constant barrages that need a person rearming the tubes as they are firing.

Comment

I like to command a mortard squad on URBAN like maps... like muttrah and exspecially many ins maps.. thats what they are best used for :D
                      Excuse me can i have your attention for just a second?

Thank you *trollface*

The Master Teamkiller

Comment

Originally posted by Forrest02 View Post
                        I like to command a mortard squad on URBAN like maps... like muttrah and exspecially many ins maps.. thats what they are best used for :D

Mortars should not be ignored on the many INS maps. They offer the INS team a huge advantage if used precisely to stop enemy groupings from setting up a staging area. The fact that mortars do NOT need crates for INS teams means that they really are portable and really hard to find/

Comment

Originally posted by Ytman View Post
                          Mortars should not be ignored on the many INS maps. They offer the INS team a huge advantage if used precisely to stop enemy groupings from setting up a staging area. The fact that mortars do NOT need crates for INS teams means that they really are portable and really hard to find/
                          The hard to find part really depends on the map though. On a map like Ramiel the city is rather small, and if your mortars is anywhere in there it'll be rather easy to hear where they are. If on the other hand you place them out in the desert, you run the risk of having a stryker/humvee drive to you and shoot you without you be able to do that much.

Comment

Depends on what you want to do, who is in your squad, and the situation. I recall when .95 was first released, it was difficult to get in a mortar squad because everybody wanted to try them. Then we were having discussions on whether or not mortars were OVERused.

Mortars are awesome when they're effective, otherwise not so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Feriluce View Post
                              The hard to find part really depends on the map though. On a map like Ramiel the city is rather small, and if your mortars is anywhere in there it'll be rather easy to hear where they are. If on the other hand you place them out in the desert, you run the risk of having a stryker/humvee drive to you and shoot you without you be able to do that much.
                              This is only theory, I've not gotten the chance to try it but;

Squad M (SL, 1 collaborator, 4 warriors) moves from ramiel main base with techi and ammo techie. I can already hear luda's utter dissapointment in my use of the team's valuable people, but fear not only two of the four riflement will be positioned at the mortar site! The remaining four will be patrolling areas with the techie and ropes.

Now why a techie? Well the techie will be able to counter the mortar's biggest threat CAS by scout chopper., and it also serves as a fast reconnassaince platform... ALONG with serving as a decent attack platform.

Sl is positioned at a point where his observation of critical locations (high traffic) is high while the techincal with two warriors and the collaborator do basic recon and investigate any spottings.

The best part about the technical is that it should allow for rapid destruction of the mortar sites with its .50 cal and a (small barely noticable) weakpoint found on all mortar pits. If not rapid transportation.

----

When the new player count becomes official you'll see mortars litterally pwn anything that moves. Higher density of troops means greater casualties and more chance of being spotted. It also helps that mortars will still assumedly only use three people max to be efficient.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X