Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [AAR] Go for relevant flags or at least defend

I can't believe I have to say this.

Just came back from a round of Beriut. We won, but only because the other team was just as bad as us.

I don't know if it was the fact that it was late and we had more public players squad leading than regular ones. But whatever the case is:

Please go either for relevant flags or at least help defend.

I was trying my best to lead an infantry squad, where we did succeed quite well. But other squads were not communicating even though they were in mumble.

The situation was that we had the Train Depot flag on Beruit after successfully holding off Eastern Apartments. (As Russians) The first half an hour as Russian's was pretty fail for the rest of the team. We had been losing our choppers every minute it seemed. A full chopper even crashed. I can understand that is the fault of one person.

At this time my squad was the only squad defending with Bullseye, where we double teamed the Namer with our HAT kits. (We first tracked it, then Bullseye killed it as there was a repair station repairing him)

Then we started to get surrounded by the enemy team, we defended from inside a building, killing enemies. But we were being overwhelmed. One infantry squad was at Factory (3 flags behind) and a full squad at East City (2 flags behind). Constantly typing for help, marking targets on the map. None of them did anything. Bullseye had to go commander to get them to move.

Whatever the case, it was frustrating to see squads sitting and doing nothing while trying to organize a game which involved a little bit of teamwork.

My squad went like 32 - 14 deaths. So it wasn't that bad of a game. But it was the fact that we 2 incompetent squads sitting on flags which weren't relevant. Please do something which you can give an explanation to yourself as why it is relevant in helping the team as opposed to sitting on completely irrelevant flags. Just a plea of mercy when my squad is being trampled on by the entire enemy team. Or at least more than one squad.

/End rant lol :row__517:

Thanks to:

My squad members for following every order I gave. I don't think I have played with any of the other guys in my squad, and I only knew a few of them from them being familiar with some of the players on the server.
    Bullseye for communicating with me
    Carchoaldabs for squad leading near the end of the game and keeping in comms with my squad
    And all those I missed out.
    Last edited by NorthPlum; 05-26-2011, 12:27 AM.

Don't fight a battle if you don't gain anything by winning.
    Erwin Rommel

Re: Go for relevant flags or at least defend

The regular SLs aren't on as frequently as before... this is having a big impact on some rounds. Whats worse is that I feel we aren't 'pickingup' many of the newbies to the server either. So they aren't learning the TG coordination way. Might be time for another TG-Learn effort.

Comment

I get it. Less regulars playing, less SLs who know how to play the TG style or how to play the game at-all. :p

I used to hate squad leading, but if you want to get things done you are going to have to have someone who can communicate with other squad members, so isn't as if I'm fighting a battle against 31 other people all by myself. We need more SL's actually. Even if you think you suck, just try it out, communicate in Mumble and get things done and most of all be cooperative with other squads. If they call for help, on a flag that they may lose which is important, go help them.

But it really isn't that hard seeing that you have an objective to defend and attack on the map. It seemed that 2 squads were no where to be seen on the front lines where they were needed according to the AAS objectives. Whatever the case I think we do need more SLs, even if you are bad, just lead the rest of your squad onto an objective to either defend or attack. If attacking fails, defend and let another squad try attack.

Even if you are killing enemy armour away from objectives that is fine as that armour can't be used to attack the rest of your team. But at least do something when I'm screaming in team chat that we need back up on a flag we just took and held for 20 mins.

Don't fight a battle if you don't gain anything by winning.
      Erwin Rommel

Comment

You should have seen it Yesterday. The squad I was in was holding one of the bunkers on kashan for 20 min+, while the rest of the team was sitting on the hill apparantly doing nothing. Even when we lost north village they kept sitting up there for some reason.

Comment

I miss the days when every night on TG was more organized and maturely played than the Password Nights we have today. :( Not that we have many of those either.

Comment

I see a constant pattern of a certain TG tagged regular who keeps making 'bro' squads. Every single round he takes his 6 man squad and does something completely useless away from any flag with them. People on SL mumble keep asking for his squad to return and help the rest of the team but he just doesn't respond or seem to care even though he is in the channel. I have no idea if he is just new to the game or doing it on purpose to make people 'mad bro'.

So I'm not sure if even all TG regulars are helpful in this matter.

I think more regulars need to try SL'in.

Comment

I don't know what the specific case is in each instance, but it has happened to me countless times that I am making my way to the next flag and make a large flanking maneuver, and run into enemy elements that then tie me down in BFE. Whilst being tied down, the flag I was heading to is no longer in play, but my guys are still dying and being shot at. At about this time, I start getting calls in mumble and team chat telling me to get in the game and to stop messing around in wherever.

Well, obviously this doesn't go over well with me, but being the professional I am, I either say "ok", or just ignore them if they are being a**holes about it. I don't have the time or the patience to listen to a bunch of self-righteous jerks telling me how to play the game right.

Please don't misunderstand. I do not think that you are talking about me, or that you don't know that this happens. I'm sure that you're frustration is warranted in this case, but I just thought that I would play devil's advocate and justify the squad in the hills that maybe got there with the best of intentions, but got stuck there through the enemy's best efforts.

If the squad in question is not responding to respectful requests for sitreps or assistance, perhaps it's time to go commander and take control of the situation. I'm pretty sure that's the only time they "have" to have the same goals as the team.

Otherwise, you have all the right in the world to air your grievances on the forums. Please continue!

Comment

There's no easy solution to the problem of a diluted community. Eventually all games just get old and the good players move on to something else. Sooner or later PR .96 will arrive, and with it I'm sure we'll see a lot of the older players return to the game. For now though, it's up to we who are still here to carry the torch.

I can think of one way to help promote team-play and an overall better gaming experience on Tactical Gamer:

BRING BACK WEEKLY PASSWORD NIGHTS

I think a weekly password night would be a huge draw for the more mature community. It would also get newer players into a more controlled environment where they can learn to play the TG way.

Comment

You should have seen it Yesterday. The squad I was in was holding one of the bunkers on kashan for 20 min+, while the rest of the team was sitting on the hill apparantly doing nothing. Even when we lost north village they kept sitting up there for some reason.
                  In part I take responsiility for this. When the round began and things wren't looking too organized I decided to have my force be the 'protecting' force to the north. We took out a fair share of tanks (I even had a tank shell hit my TOW for no effect!) and IFVs up there. I never wanted to bring my main force there because the remainder of our armor would either overextend into a region only good for manuvering or tard rush in to get ATGM'd. Therefore I decided that a strong position to take out enemy armor would have been more beneficial than "Hamburger Bunkers". Consider the cost of a few tanks and BMPs over a bunker system that was paid in the blood of a good 60 people.

For all that the people at bunkers did (and don't forget that at one point our entire team was pretty much there allowing for a cap) they also weren't commincating anything either. This is the value of MUMBLE SL or at the very least TYPING and Radio Markers. Would your squad leader have been in mumble asking for assitance and telling me where and what he he wants dead sure thing I would have moved.

Playing PR without much communication between SLs can be likened to tribal warfare where each squad is loosely tied to the other but has no direct cooperation with them.

One way I help aid to TG's leadership when not SLing is that I'm HIGHLY selective of my own SLs. They don't need to be in mumble, I can do that for them (if only to be an ear and a responder to calls), but if he has no tactics or strategy other than painfully terrible ones I leave and find another or make my own.

Take a role out of capitalism here, if your SL is underperforming, leave it and find a better or try it out yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by Ytman View Post
                    In part I take responsiility for this. When the round began and things wren't looking too organized I decided to have my force be the 'protecting' force to the north. We took out a fair share of tanks (I even had a tank shell hit my TOW for no effect!) and IFVs up there. I never wanted to bring my main force there because the remainder of our armor would either overextend into a region only good for manuvering or tard rush in to get ATGM'd. Therefore I decided that a strong position to take out enemy armor would have been more beneficial than "Hamburger Bunkers". Consider the cost of a few tanks and BMPs over a bunker system that was paid in the blood of a good 60 people.

For all that the people at bunkers did (and don't forget that at one point our entire team was pretty much there allowing for a cap) they also weren't commincating anything either. This is the value of MUMBLE SL or at the very least TYPING and Radio Markers. Would your squad leader have been in mumble asking for assitance and telling me where and what he he wants dead sure thing I would have moved.

Playing PR without much communication between SLs can be likened to tribal warfare where each squad is loosely tied to the other but has no direct cooperation with them.

One way I help aid to TG's leadership when not SLing is that I'm HIGHLY selective of my own SLs. They don't need to be in mumble, I can do that for them (if only to be an ear and a responder to calls), but if he has no tactics or strategy other than painfully terrible ones I leave and find another or make my own.

Take a role out of capitalism here, if your SL is underperforming, leave it and find a better or try it out yourself.
                    I dont know what exactly was going on, since I wasn't in the SL channel, nor was I paying much attention to anything but the back stairs through the scope of my AR, but from the sounds of it my SL (yrkidding) was actually trying to communicate with the rest of the squads, but without luck. There was a few other people in the bunker, like foxxy (who was trying to call in cas) that we were coordinating with as well.

All I saw on the map from my position was a huge blue blob, sitting east/northeast of bunker for a very long time, with only a single fob up there and no fob or people near north village or south outpost, even when we started losing bunkers.
                    My squad was also the only one who made an effort to defend south outpost after they'd taken north village. We got demolished by armor though, and they capped us out.

Comment

Originally posted by Feriluce View Post
                      I dont know what exactly was going on, since I wasn't in the SL channel, nor was I paying much attention to anything but the back stairs through the scope of my AR, but from the sounds of it my SL (yrkidding) was actually trying to communicate with the rest of the squads, but without luck. There was a few other people in the bunker, like foxxy (who was trying to call in cas) that we were coordinating with as well.
                      Must have been a different day then. I don't remember playing with kidding yesterday on kashan.

Comment

Originally posted by Ytman View Post
                        Must have been a different day then. I don't remember playing with kidding yesterday on kashan.
                        Well, at this point its 2 days ago I believe. It was basically a lesson in how not to play US on kashan.

Comment

if you have the inclination and want to improve the situation don't just leave someone's squad if they are struggling as SL, try and help them (if they are willing to take advice). Learn to be a good 2IC and gently prod people in the right direction. The real skill is in gently shepherding new players without talking down to them like they are dirt. A lot of the players that did this as a matter of course aren't around at the moment, surprising what a vacumn that creates isn't it.

A bit more time spent on mentoring, a bit less time on trying to pwn and you'll be surprised what you can achieve. The TG PR community didn't happen by magic, a lot of good TG'rs spent a lot of their own time ensuring new players kept coming through. Think long term not short, think good games for the future not good game now. Step up.

Comment

Its a zero sum game. If you are fighting a squad you are still helping. Actually if you are tying up 2 squads away from the flag its might helpfull. However being away from the flag with nobody to shoot at means you have been outmaneuvered :p .

Originally posted by Feriluce View Post
                            I was there. That has to make my top 5 fails on PR, that and the fact that nobody crewed armor, so that a single apc shot us up when we tried to move around bunkers.

Comment

Just had one of those rounds. Sigh.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse