X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BF3 taking pointers from PR?

Hi guys,

If you have not already seen it just look at this epic BF3 video:

The dialog is definitely more "armyish" (makes me think of generation kill each time!), you can see the use of thermals and also different types of rounds. The models look dam fine and the sounds are amazing!

To bad they will not release the modding tools... PR would be awesome with that engine!

Cheers,

Nix

Re: BF3 taking pointers from PR?

I saw it and did think "Shades of PR"

but really it was just "Less Arcade" and "More Realistic Fancy Tools" not "Greater Teamwork and Tactics"

Comment

Yeah; Dice has some precedent for taking cues from the modding teams, though most frequently in the form of hiring developers from those teams (See Desert Combat, POE, Battlefield Pirates).

It stands though that the kind of game they want to make is not (and SHOULD NOT be) the same as the game we want to play (As BF2:PR goes). While the teamwork experience can be very beneficial for a player, making the player rely on their buddies is not how you sell a tactical shooter these days. DICE is selling a product; they have to make it so that teamwork and tactics (while very rewarding) is not a requirement for a player's experience.

I do not claim to be a marketing expert. I can claim to be a longtime Battlefield series veteran and have noticed this trend in their games.
      Whether by air or on land
      foes crumble at my command.

JaFaR Ironclad, at your service.

Comment

This will be a great game. The action sequences look intense and deeply immersive. However I don't think that PR is being copied, emulated, or ripped off. It is more likely that the Dice developers are drawing inspiration from the same military procedure/hardware that the PR modders do.

Comment

Epicness alert

|TG-Irr| sushi-sacha111

'A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.'
          Winston Churchill

sigpicBasic Inf Project Reality BF2 Basic Tanking WoT

Comment

The muliplayer didn't look all that impressive. The tank battle looked pretty nice though.

I hope when releasing this game, they introduce new and perhaps bigger maps after a while. OK. Maybe I'm a bit harsh, but the multiplayer just looked like BC2 on the same engine with more buildings involved. It looks great, but it hasn't impressed me yet. I'm thinking they are waiting to release the impressive stuff later on.

Was hoping of something much more different. But I'll play the demo and see if I like it I guess!

Don't fight a battle if you don't gain anything by winning.
            Erwin Rommel

Comment

looks like a game where you can take 20 hat / sabot hits without getting destroyed (= grafic pimped arcade game from a xbox).

| | | |

Comment

Originally posted by Bullseye2550 View Post
                looks like a game where you can take 20 hat / sabot hits without getting destroyed (= grafic pimped arcade game from a xbox).
                I'd rather get hit a few times without getting destroyed, than having to restart the same segment of the campaign over and over because I cannot be hit once by any of the 10 tanks shooting at me. Gotta remember its a game and balanced difficulty with ultrarealism.
                Also, the BF games have never been about ultrarealism in the first place. I'm glad that they're hopefully trying to put a bit more emphasis on the realism this time around though.

Edit: I actually just found this quote in the BF3 forums:

The Support class was super important in Battlefield: Bad Company 2 because it could heal, but they're given a new role in Battlefield 3:suppression. Shooting in an enemy's general direction is important in real combat, giving your own team a chance to move and gain position while the enemies are frightened into running for cover. Battlefield 3 takes this into account, and anyone firing a hail of lead near foes – something the Support class is especially good at, much more so with a fancy bi-pod attachment – will suppress the enemy. This not only garners points for the shooter, but dims and shakes the screen of those affected. Shooting to kill is an important role, but shooting to provide actual supporting fire is now emphasized as well.
                With all these little things, its hard to see them not being inspired by PR when making bf3. It is the largest BF2 mod afterall.

Comment

It does look awesome. But as soon as the tank got hit several times I just thought of vanilla BF2. I expect that in multiplayer, but as the first singleplayer campaign Battlefield has ever done, they could at least think in different ways. But I guess most people want it like that. I'm guessing the reason they aren't making mod tools is that they just know modders will make it so much better, like:
                  1942 < Forgotten Hope - BF Vietnam < Eve of Destruction - BF2 < PR

Comment

Why focus on mod tools for the PC version when its being made cross plkatform?

And that surpression effect DOES sound like PR inspired.

Comment

Overlooking the damage model positives like disabling of vehicles, allowing the crew to bail, that's good that thrive introduced that. PR sort of has that, it also has some tanks that seem to take 3 or 4 full on hits and others that POP like balloons. The paper tiger aspect of some of the vehicles in PR puts me off bothering to do armour (hopefully rectified in the next release).

I think BF3 will be great fun.

Comment

Originally posted by A.WICKENS View Post
                        Overlooking the damage model positives like disabling of vehicles, allowing the crew to bail, that's good that thrive introduced that. PR sort of has that, it also has some tanks that seem to take 3 or 4 full on hits and others that POP like balloons. The paper tiger aspect of some of the vehicles in PR puts me off bothering to do armour (hopefully rectified in the next release).

I think BF3 will be great fun.
                        Yea, on a regular AAS map I actually feel a lot more vulnerable when I'm inside armor than when I'm on foot. I quite like how armor handles in insurgency though. Armor feels so much more powerful there, and while it can still easily be blown up by a good bomb car or well placed mine, when it happens you know it was your own fault, and not just the fact that some guy was hiding behind a hill with a hat 600 meters away.

Comment

Originally posted by Bullseye2550 View Post
                          Stage Demo. Last thing they want in a media teaser is the demo-ing player getting killed. Unlikely to be that way in the final release, certainly not on the hardest difficulty.
                          Whether by air or on land
                          foes crumble at my command.

JaFaR Ironclad, at your service.

Comment

Just because BF3 is being released without modding tools doesn't make modding impossible. While its almost certainly not possible to create a game on the level of what PR did with BF2, there's probably going to be a way to create a Project Reality Lite type of mod where damage is altered so tanks take fewer shots, heavy vehicles require a driver and gunner. More than four classes is probably an impossibility, as are new maps, commander system, new vehicles. But don't expect BF3 to be totally uneditable.

"Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges"

Comment

Originally posted by JaFaR Ironclad View Post
                              Stage Demo. Last thing they want in a media teaser is the demo-ing player getting killed. Unlikely to be that way in the final release, certainly not on the hardest difficulty.
                              exactly, maybe they'll even through in a 'realism' difficulty like MoH:Pacific Assault, that setting made the game so much better for me going through the campaign
                              AnimalMother
                              Ex TG-31st LR
                              "Is it the 31st policy to have hott women as their avatars? Because if so that's a pretty baddass policy." - Pvt. brokeback
                              sigpic

Arte et Marte

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...