Supply Intel

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Supply Intel

Sometimes you have games where communication is very good. Other times you have games where it is not so good. Recently I had a game where I had an armor squad ande the team supplied just the right ammount of intel. It made it possible for my squad right out of the bat to engage 3 enemy tanks, which we wouldnt have taken out otherwise, because I was planning to go the opposite direction, not to mention that we would have been shot in the back at some point probably. In the same game I was able to circumvent a tank in an overwatch position nearby our main and focus on the flags because somebody spotted it. Enemy armor spotted elsewhere made me support our infantery at the objective with more confidence, because I knew that some armor was down and what armor wasnt down, wasnt a threat, because it was well away from the objective. I died only once and through air support, because most of the times I knew where the enemy armor was, before I was in his visual range. Of course I had dumb luck once or twice too but still.

By contrast there are games where few intel is supplied, so you cant move around a known enemy tank to surprise him and it all boils down to who can get his shots off first. Of course there are also games where intel is supplied and things dont go well, because the other team has the basics covered as well and is just that good.

This is just a reminder to supply intel, even if its just an inf marker over the radio. You never know, maybe a friendly squad with nothing to do is nearby.

Re: Supply Intel

I know what you mean and agree. Sometimes you get guys who tell you nothing more than, "I sees an enemy" and then you get the "I'm getting shot at, do I has permission to shoot back" people, neither of whom are good for your squad.
    sigpic PROJECT REALITY

Comment

Too many people don't know how to use the Radio. Its a huge thing and helps cut chatter down on SL mumble.

Comment

Yeah, but like most of the times, the people who need to read this are not on these Forums.

Comment

Originally posted by Ytman View Post
          Too many people don't know how to use the Radio. Its a huge thing and helps cut chatter down on SL mumble.
          I agree with this, and a lot of the times the ones who do know how to use the radio don't use it, they just spot what they see on mumble SL thinking that we will all put it to memory.

Kind of goes along with how pilots rely too much on laser designated targets, especially A-10 pilots. I would really like to see the A-10 gun used more than it has been in the last year. Which from the games I've played isn't much at all.
          Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
          Level II Volunteer FireFighter
          Level I HazMat Technician
          NYS EMT-B
          Town of Mamaroneck Fire Dept.

sigpic

Bring On Project Reality 1.0!!!
          RSS Feeds:Bamboo | | 9/11 - Never Forget |
          Apophis - "TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population.
          Tactical Gamer is not mainstream.
          We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers."

Comment

Originally posted by Delta*RandyShugart* View Post
            I agree with this, and a lot of the times the ones who do know how to use the radio don't use it, they just spot what they see on mumble SL thinking that we will all put it to memory.

Kind of goes along with how pilots rely too much on laser designated targets, especially A-10 pilots. I would really like to see the A-10 gun used more than it has been in the last year. Which from the games I've played isn't much at all.
            The tiny viewdistance in PR is a large contributor to this. Using the gun is only really an option if you know EXACTLY where your target are. By the time you get into view of the target you do not have time to look for it. You need to know where it is, make adjustments to your aim and then fire before you zoom over the top of it. That requires constant intel and markers.

That is actually one of the biggest thing I'm looking forward to in pr:a2. More realistic cas.

Comment

Yeah. Tiny view distance and the fact that many AA missiles will take out any plane contribute to this. I'd rather not risk an A-10 on a gun run for a squad when it has 2 bombs and 4 LGMs. It does has its uses but that comes to the people on the ground lasing.

Comment

Many people rely on Mumble only. I find it is best to mark stuff with the radio or to just type it out. Somethings need to be said fast and Mumble is great for that, followed by typing it ingame. I know quite a few SLs that don't go into the SL channel because of some of the unnecessary talking, or 60sec long tank spottings
                Viking

Comment

Originally posted by DaViking View Post
                  Many people rely on Mumble only. I find it is best to mark stuff with the radio or to just type it out. Somethings need to be said fast and Mumble is great for that, followed by typing it ingame. I know quite a few SLs that don't go into the SL channel because of some of the unnecessary talking, or 60sec long tank spottings
                  Imo, map markers accompanied by mumble is the best way to deal with stuff like tanks. If you only use mumble you get a situation like what happened to me yesterday on yamalia:

I was in an apc, and we hear over mumble that there is a tank west of objective mike. Now we interpreted this as the fact that a tank was sitting out in the open field left of mike somewhere, so we happily drove up to mike, thinking we would easily be covered by all the trees. What was actually the case though was that the tank was sitting about 10m west of the flag at mike, greeting us with a very nice AP round to the face.

That situation could easily have been avoided with a map marker.

Comment

It probably moved. ^^

Comment

Originally posted by Ytman View Post
                      It probably moved. ^^
                      No, that was its position all the time apparantly.

Comment

i think if the markers went down where they were intended to be, and not 50-100m short half the time
                        and it was easier, and a little more swift, then people might use them in equal balance with SL channel.
                        i find that depending on situation, forcing my self to mark things on the map gets me killed or exposed on occasion.
                        in short, i think the map marker mechanic needs to be revised.

"you don't live till you're to die"

Comment

Just a quick response to the Gun run issue and whole CAS issue doing rns on non lased targets. Its all pilot preference on what kind of intel he does a run on or holds off on. For me its all dpendant on my role for the team, how desperate they are and the target type. As a quick example of why I may decide to do a run or not, if my team is doing good and can probably survive/kill the target other wise without heavy losses and its sketchy intel I probably wont go in. But if its one spotter or a lone infantry squad facing a tank on our flag with no support and known AA, there is a good chance I will go in depending on my aircraft and if I can get a grid and if possible lase. But that semi-risky playing style is just mine and I know many pilots that are more conservative and others that go at a target before you confrim a lase, I try to weigh the risks and gains of doing or not doing the run and hope for the best. For the specific issue of the A10 I love its gun and if you can give me a grid square with armour and no or little AAV cover its gonna die, the A10 is also the slowest plane and can be killed super easy by AA even while flaring or even the 30mm MEC auto cannon. The gun's best use is inaftry, vehicles on the move or hitting multiple targets on one run(lase AAV, gun tank). It is an awesome weapon but it just goes so slow that most pilots prefere that bomb or ATGM if there might be AA.

AFter that quick paragraph on CAS, I hate SL radio unless it is urgent and the info can't be told or told quickly enough by typing or SL radio. Too many times I have either muted mumble alltogether for short amounts of time or only half listened to it and half listened to my squad which makes me walk into things they just called out. People need to learn that non urgent stuff can be done by typing, and to respond by typing, its really not that hard. The SL radio works fine by placing a mark and giving some contaxt by typing if it is moving or whatever. The only issue with the SL radio is sometimes the time, but to make it work properly and as quickly as possible just get your range to the marker, set that range in, then move your guys forward a bit then put in the target type. I usually do all of this when prone since you don't need line of sight to put marks. I do it so often sometimes that as I get in contact I quickly put a rought mark 100m infront of me of infantry.
                          |TG-69th|chrisweb89

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                          X