Insurgency PR

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insurgency PR

So what do you think about the insurgency mode on PR. Do you think it is realistic? Do you think was a good idea but not doable on BF2? Is it your favorite game mod and can not get enough of it? I want to know and why.

Personally I think it is not realistic and I tolerate it. I have two tours to Afghanistan and I can tell you this is not how an insurgency is fought. It is way more complicated then this and enhances the misconception that Insurgency is all about killing the insurgent. I know this is a game but it is called Project Reality for a reason no? I think the developers did they best they could do with the BF2 engine. Now insurgency in ARMA has the ability to be way more realitic but that is a question I'll pose when the time comes.
    Realistic and enjoy it
    8.00%
    Not realistic and enjoy it
    42.00%
    Realistic and tolerate it
    4.00%
    Not realistic and tolerate it
    28.00%
    Realistic and hate it
    0.00%
    Not realistic and hate it
    18.00%

A good leader requires both character and strategy. If he is to be without one, let it be strategy. - General Rick Hilliar, Former Canadian Chief of Defence

Re: Insurgency PR

I've not been to Iraq or Afghan, but i've met plenty of people who have.

And i'll agree it's not an accurate representation of what we do out there. Plus in an FPS not many players would want to do the side mission of building and road/school/hospital etc and some of the other 'hearts and minds'.

In the end it's something different and I enjoy playing it (from both sides), what would be cool would be a massive gamemode with increased player counts that tries to provide more of the aspects of what goes on. Perhaps ARMA or PR2 can deliver what the BF2 engine most likely cannot
    AnimalMother
    Ex TG-31st LR
    "Is it the 31st policy to have hott women as their avatars? Because if so that's a pretty baddass policy." - Pvt. brokeback
    sigpic

Arte et Marte

Comment

The entire concept is totally unrealistic, but its real-life counterpart is impossible to replicate.

There are many small changes that could be made in order to add a bit of realism, but until PR has a functional, working society in-game its impossible to do. At the moment, Insurgency can be moreso linked to a quasi-conventional Militia fighting, what with the assets and weaponry they are given.

What I personally want to see is the ability to C4 the cache through many layers of building removed. Today on NwA I drove up to a cache, dropped C4, and drove away before they could do anything, and blew it. An easy hit and run which was totally unrealistic and silly, yet easily doable. In retrospect, a better tactic would have been to secure the area and then take down the cache, but with the randomness and simply crazy combat system its often easier to take the unrealistic route..
      Its the decisions you make, when you have no time to make them, that define who you are.

Comment

Its called a game for a reason. How would you simulate winning the population over? Also fighting insurgents is not fun. You patrol while they set off IEDs or other traps and hide within the population.
        Last edited by Golgo13; 07-23-2011, 11:54 AM.

Comment

Well all of PR isnt that realistic, you dont have random 5-6 man squads running around by themselves doing their own thing. Go play Arma Ace if you want semi realistic type insurgency.

Overall it's still enjoyable.

"All of you stay frickin high speed. All you stay on your frickin primaries and frickin slay bodies all day long. Good to go" -Combat Ninja lol

Comment

There are scripts in arma that you can use to simulate "hearts and minds". If you upset the people, they magically pull out ak47s and shoot you :D
            sigpic

Do you really want invincible bears running around raping your churches and burning your women?

Intel i7 3930k @ 4.4ghz, 8gb RAM, 2x GTX 570 1gb, OCZ Vertex 3 120 gig SSD

Comment

I'm missing an option: I dont really care if its realistic or not and I enjoy it in moderation, mainly as blufor though.

Comment

I feel it's not realistic but I'm not looking for that either all the time. I like the change of pace it brings. I actually like playing on the insurgent side. Setting traps and ambushes can be tons of fun.
                [S7]Hablos
                Proud to have been part of the 101st Siege Corps of Engineers

sigpic

Comment

It's a game mode that requires topnotch teamwork and communications on both sides. It's not like games like Kashan where it can easily be won by a good chopper/jet/asset squad. It's a team-wide effort from the CO to the rifleman. Playing as Insurgents is hard for many players because it requires patience and timing. They treat insurgents as "screw around, jump off rooftop" type faction. One little mistake, one misfire of an AK can cost the insurgent a cache and 25 tickets. They think that since that insurgents don't have a ticket count they can throw their lives away believing they can whittle down the Blufor. They won't. They have the firepower and the means to kill you, your team and your mother 20x over and still have enough ammo to kill your vehicles and cache. It's a game of subterfuge basically. Sneaking around. Waiting for Blufor to walk into the killzone, or move to them and walk into their deadzone.

The insurgents aren't a stonewall that can stop any attack. Yeah you can hold in that compound for a while. But soon CAS, JDAM, LAV is gonna walk up and turn you into hamburger. They have a city full of cars for a reason. With the introduction of mortars that makes it double-so. Both teams need to be mobile now. Not just choose one location in the map to set up for the entire game. You set up your positions based on the location of caches. You move in, set up shop, kill/defend the cache, tear down the shop and leave.

What I am trying to say is: If you are an insurgent/taliban/militia don't go running around thinking "My death means nothing!!!! I'm gonna flash my ass at that tank LOLOL" Your death means everything. Where you died, what kit you died with and how many people were with you when you died are all deciding factors in Insurgency. Your death just gave the Blufor justifiable cause to search the area/UAV the area. You now just revealed a cache that they didn't know about. Think people, that's all I want when you pick up that AK.
                  Last edited by Axis_Sniper; 07-23-2011, 04:41 PM.

Comment

not realistic and hate it.

Comment

<-- Hates it.

Hate it to the point that I turn the game off and go do something else. Its too involved on a team wide basis to work on public play.

did I mention that I hate it?
                      doYouEvenLuftwaffe

Comment

Originally posted by Portable.Cougar View Post
                        <-- Hates it.

Hate it to the point that I turn the game off and go do something else. Its too involved on a team wide basis to work on public play.

did I mention that I hate it?
                        I totally heard someone else say that about you on mumble while we were loading up Ramiel the other day. Like, to the exact word. That's sort of creepy.

Comment

I dislike the attempt at forcing complexity. I dislike that the grotesque monstrosity the whole affair has been patched into, and I dislike how certain elements of the PR community as a whole have given the developers reason to curtail creativity to ensure a lower common denominator stays within the intents of the system.

Comment

I tolerate it because insurgency mode always seems to pop up during the limited time I have to play.

Comment

I'm on the verge of hating it. Its a tired and gimmicky (in the wrong ways) game mode that only gets it half (maybe less) right.

Insurgency gets so many things wrong:
                              -Red Force gameplay makes an inferior force even more inferior by giving them no actively possible win condition.

-Red Force is forced into contradictions and catch-22s.
                              Defend the caches! No wait only defend them if they are 'Blue'. But wait that one Bluefor squad just found a 'Pink' cache so you kinda have to defend the 'Pink' ones... but don't defend them too well or you'll bring suspicion here. Oh and don't worry about dying, you don't lose tickets, but do worry about dying because you bring them closer to finding a cache... Oh did we mention that we'll give you close quarter advantages but most maps will have large stretches of desert or other non-discript terrain. Finally, remember you only win by killing them... and you wont be doing that much...

-Blue Force is a indiscriminant killing machine. You know that poor nieghboorhood by the river in Al Basrah? Yeah well I think their is a weapons cache there. Lets just level the entire area.

The only really really fun map I like thats Insurgency is Lashkar. It just feels like it does something right.

I will not play Archer again though, after today, that is one terribly balanced map.
                              -----

My strongest opinion of saving the game mode is to make it play out in stages. A protratced 'Insurgency' stage where the Insurgents vie for control of the area (one or more control points) and the BlueForce must act as peacekeepers trying to win over a population. Then if BlueFor wins over the population a cache or so spawn and act as the endgame for the insurgents. Their needs to be collaborators for the taliban and I'd love to see more deployables as well.

The maps also need to make Blue Force more vulnerable then the lovely Archer Castle on a mountain or desert dunes of ramiel and karbala.
                              Last edited by Ytman; 07-24-2011, 01:58 AM.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X