Tank tactics.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tank tactics.

Armor can greatly impact a game. It can cut off the supplies of the enemy and make it a lot easier to hold onto the gains your team made. Before Tanks can go on blowing up fobs and mowing down infantery in the open, they need to take on the enemy armor if close air support is not avaiable.

SYMBOLS

Many Tank Battles play out like this

An even number of tanks face off squaring each other in an even match. The outcome is determined by skill, but also by chance and luck. Its best to try and outmaneuver the enemy tanks. Try to anticipate their movements, or better yet, try to work with intel you obtained from your team.

Maneuvering your squad in the rear of your enemy gives you a great advantage. Not only does it gives you the advantage of surprise, but as long as your squads front is facing the weak armor of the enemy, they can take twice as many hits as the enemy formation.

Of course you do not always have the possiblity to antiicpate your enemies movement, or know which way they are facing. The next best thing to getting the drop on your enemy and attacking from the rear is to surround him.

The tanks looking at the buisness end of a Rheinmetall Smoothbore barrel can drop out of the range of the tank, while the remaining tanks move in for the kill. But how to maneuver your armor in that postion is the problem.

For startes organise your squad. You want to know the name of your 2 drivers, so you can adress them quickly. Since the driver does the real work you should drive one of the tanks yourself. It makes it easier to move in formation too.

This is the most basic formation, and the most likely one you will be confronted with. You should use this only when you know exactly where the enemy is and what he is doing, to concentrate your forces on his weak side.

If however you don’t know where the enemy is and you are looking for him, you might want to use this formation.

2 Tanks move alonge the outhr boundaries of the map. The lead tank moves in the same direction 2-3 Kpads towards the center of the map, with his height of travel between the first and the second tank. If the tank makes contact he should fire off a shell fast and retreat out of the field of view of the enemy formation. The tank further behind needs to speed up and flank the enemy formation. With the enemy formation focused on the first sighted tank the second tank should be able to get in a flanking position fast. If the enemy formation pursues the first tank the second tank needs to fire off a shot fast to deterr their advance. The third tank can maneuver quickly in a position to attack the rear of the enemy formaiton. 2 out of the 3 friendly tanks are now in a position to strike the weakpoints of the enemy tanks, with the enemy tanks having a hard time to coordinate a defense or even escape.

If the enemy employs this tactic against you, setting up on the outer boundaries of the map you might want to move your tank formation torwards the center instead. You run however the risk to run into emplaced and hand held AT. Try to engage the armor on the outer boundaries of the map from the side or in the rear. If you meet a tank formation head on, you can still retreat, use 2 of the tanks to hold the enemy at bay and flank with the other tank.

If the enemy armor is being aggressive, or your team gained a lot of ground, you might want to hold in a defensive position, to engage enemy armor trying to attack a flag. Look set up near a ridge a rock formation or any other piece of cover, that reduces your visability and makes it more likely to get the first shot on target.

Re: Tank tactics.

Very excellent! As a frequent tanker I find this helpful. I would like to point out one thing tho.

Maneuvering between where the enemy is know to be advancing from and their objective is bad. You are at high risk of running into units that can (and most likely will) report your position (or destroy you) before you have a chance to engage the enemy tanks. This will allow the enemy to prepare for your arrival.

Comment

The next few times I'll play asset heavy maps I'll try and focus on Armor and use these smart words. One thing that I really think is important is having a means to field repair and a method of adjusting while RTBing. Few people realize that even if you are low on ammo your MBT's pressence is a real issue to them and serves as a deterent and focus point of their motions. As you RTB you allow a vacuum that the enemy can quickly exploit. Many times even if damaged, I'd rather fall back and take a defensive stance than a complete retreat with my tail between my legs.

I'm trying to familiarize myself with the ins and outs of all major arms of PR... armor is my one singular weak point.

Comment

The problem I find more often then not, is that Tanks act as their own entity on maps like Kashan or Burning sands where they really should be working side by side with the Infantry. Kashan is a prime example where if the two are fighting alongside (not side by side perse) with usually the tanks providing constant overwatch, the infantry can be manned with AA/HAT to help counter threats as well. Set the tanks up on the outlying ridgeline or even in a more forward position helping to either stem the flow of incoming enemies or provide a coordinated fire to help the infantry advance.

The most tank deaths I've ever seen in armor squads are when they're aimlessly rolling around the desert being picked off by CAS or they run into a heavier set group of armor and are just destroyed by shear numbers. This doesn't help the infantry squads at all because all their heavy ground assets that could have been raining hell are destroyed.

Teamwork isn't just between SQ's when they need it, but should be a constant objective whereby the 1 is supporting the other.

These Things We Do... That Other's May Live

Comment

The problem with that is that many people don't play or understand assets and therefor lack the knowledge on how to support them when they are infantry. Now that would be an excellent TGU course.
          |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

The problem is assets cost tickets. A tank is a whooping 10 tickets. So if you keep your armor squad of 3 tanks alive and eliminate 60 tickets worth of enemy armor you gave your team an edge without every providing direct support for the infantery on the ground, other than denying the enemy armored support, assuming he has the intent to provide that armoured support rather than to rack up kills by looking for easy kills away from the hotzones.

Imo assets shouldnt cost tickets. Yes free assets encourage risky behaviour, but if tickets are tied to assets it encourages the behaviour outlined above. A team shouldnt just gain an edge by destroying high prized assets, but by being able to use his own armor towards the game objective.

Comment

Tanks appear to have a reduced presence compared to the glory days of earlier versions. The presence of Static TOW's, and more powerful HAT's have really reduced their effectiveness on maps like Kashan, which are much more ticket effective thank tanks. I really miss the Pre TOW PR because the armour gameplay was much simpler to my understanding

The biggest tip for armour now is try and keep your enemy at maximum view distance, and to do that predict where they most likely will be. Master that and you'll ninja enemy tanks

Comment

I think that armor is still pretty effective at what I think it should be used for, which is supporting infantry and denying the enemy access to a large area. Using a tank by itself to attack a fortified position in this game is silly. Also, I love watching a lone tank drive off into the sunset in search of fame and fortune on the edges of the map, only to find H-ATs, TOWs and enemy tanks. It's fun to do sometimes, but I also usually die pretty quickly.

I think attacking as armor without infantry support should be done with caution and with a clear objective. In these cases, I like to get to an area I suspect will be unoccupied and find cover to camp in and set up an ambush on either a CAP or supply route. Surprise is important because often times, the battle is over in one shot. I try to pick an area that will deny the enemy access to a CAP, friendlies, or something like that. But I always try to have an objective. I'm not just looking for kills.

I like your comment that as a tank SL with a full complement of tankers, you should at least get to know the names of your drivers. The drivers are in charge of the tank. Additionally, if you're new to the people in the squad, you may want to say your name and then what you want until everybody learns each other's names. I always like to introduce myself to my gunner/driver and remember their name and voice so I can pick it out later when six guys are yelling "STOP!", and "GO!" at the same time while things are blowing up and you have no idea where the enemy is. Communication is critical for a tank crew.

Also, it's perfectly okay to use bounding maneuvers in tanks. Let one or two tanks move up to an advantageous position from which to cover you while you move up a couple hundred meters beyond them and repeat the process.

TGU has a couple of courses for tanking if you're interested, though I'm not sure when the next one is.

Great work on the write up!

Comment

Originally posted by CR8Z View Post
                  3 gunners are yelling at their drivers to stop and go at the same time while things are blowing up. Communication is critical for a tank crew.
                  That is why i only do a 6 man tank squad if they all have mumble. That way voip isn't clogged by 6 guys all yelling at the same time, that just makes ecceftive comms impossible.
                  sigpic

Comment

Erm....are we forgetting that only 20% of armour is engaging enemy armour? The rest is holding positions and surviving?

A tank that has killed nothing but has stayed alive and kept enemies from entering its 'sector' has done far more than a tank that has flanked the whole map and killed one tank and then got it self killed.

Imagine kashan with one team not using any armour apart from 1-2 tanks and the other using everything...
                    Think about which team will lose more tickets.

Most armour get taken out by HATs not by enemy vehs.

Yet everyone always talks about armour being TANK v TANK etc...

Comment

I played as armour platoon leader in CATA in one campaign and the reason we dominated so much vs NATO was because he didn't use hardly any armour. We used clever HAT placements with defensive armour. I had 2x5 man armour sqds at my disposal and most of them were inf in battles supporting the armour.

NATO would come with all their tanks together and they would just fall to CAS and HATS. We used 2 tanks for Qinling CnC and lost 1 the whole round. NATO was reported to be waiting for assets to spawn in their main most of the time (this was with their Eurofighter and Tornado dominating our Jets too).

They lost by so many tickets.

Im not saying to use less armour, more, if you use less, you will use it better.

If you want to have a one sentance guide on armour...

Stay alive, Don't attack and turn you engine off.

There you go. Only move up to hold a position that inf have attacked. Not attack yourselves. You will do 100x better for the team.

Comment

The more and more I hear about CATA's organization and NATO's performance I really really think NATO never stood a chance simply due to organizational issues. Thats a different story, but interesting to me.

I agree that Armor's main purpose in PR is Area Denial and Force Extension. If perhaps we had whole divisions of tanks armor would have a larger impact but as it stands and for the forseable future PR is an Infantry man's game. Shijia Vally's IHS Scrim saw our PLA's forces using only one tank and relying on fast moving H-AT squads to move around the British's armor. The largest part of our victory came from killing the enemy armor via this fast H-AT team as it kept them off balance for most of the round letting our IFVs have nearly free reign.

Comment

Originally posted by Eavy Gunner View Post
                          Tanks appear to have a reduced presence compared to the glory days of earlier versions. The presence of Static TOW's, and more powerful HAT's have really reduced their effectiveness on maps like Kashan, which are much more ticket effective thank tanks. I really miss the Pre TOW PR because the armour gameplay was much simpler to my understanding

The biggest tip for armour now is try and keep your enemy at maximum view distance, and to do that predict where they most likely will be. Master that and you'll ninja enemy tanks
                          OC there is more to tanking than dealing with tanks, but this guide was meant to just adress tank on tank warfare.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                          X