If there is no dedicated mortar squad

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If there is no dedicated mortar squad

can the defending squad build mortars? That would make mortars avaible more often during downtime at the flag that needs defending, keep the defending squad busy too and make mortars avaiable on 4km maps as well, without taking 3 more people away from foot soldiers. You just have to keep in mind to take down the mortars when you move on to the next flag. Just putting this out there.

Re: If there is no dedicated mortar squad

Not every one is comfortable with mortars. Secondly I personally love it when I'm attacking a mortar position because I know where the enemy is. The main purpose for a defending squad is to defend. If you get caught up with doing mortars you lose that capability. A good squad can pull it off and it works in an organised game. In a public game when you are not sure of the people you have..Not a good idea in my opinion.

A good leader requires both character and strategy. If he is to be without one, let it be strategy. - General Rick Hilliar, Former Canadian Chief of Defence

Comment

Originally posted by Masterjack View Post
      Not every one is comfortable with mortars. Secondly I personally love it when I'm attacking a mortar position because I know where the enemy is. The main purpose for a defending squad is to defend. If you get caught up with doing mortars you lose that capability. A good squad can pull it off and it works in an organised game. In a public game when you are not sure of the people you have..Not a good idea in my opinion.
      I agree and disagree. Its not always a good idea, very rarely is it a good idea to have the defenders on the CP focusing on shooting mortars (poor situational awareness). Other times its a good idea to defend a point like US-Army North Village with mortars from the hill to the east.

My old plans for the Shijia Valley IHS match was to do this and it got shot down by my advisors and I'm glad they shot it down. I had more people to be aggressive with in the end and I definately didn't have the supplies needed for this. Another thing to take into account is that mortars are more effective at longer ranges from CPs due to shorter travel time and less likelihood of attack.

Now what I DO want to see more of, especially with insurgents, is the moving mortar site. An undedicated squad placing mortars for a quick mission and removing them when done. Conventional forces can do this but its harder as logistics plays a much larger role.

Finally, in my experience, and I'd like to think I have a lot, the SL of the mortar team needs to be out in the field calling in targets himself. Without this Forward Observer you are cutting the effectiveness of the team in half. For obvious reasons this isn't prefered while defending a point.

Comment

I agree with Masterjack. I cant even begin to remember all the countless times me and my sqd have come up to a sqd defending a flag while doing mortars. you shoot/knife/punch the ones on the mortar and you shoot the others reloading or doing whatever else before they even know where the fire is coming from. Very bad for situational awareness when your focusing on something else instead of defending(which is your prime objective).

In the end if no one is doing mortars, just deal and play without it. It's not a game changer most of the times. Unless you have a great mortar sqd and ppl who call it in regularly, which in my opinion is like 20-30% of the time.

Comment

Its really easy to change this. People just don't know how to use the radio marker while underfire, or do basic low profile recon.

A team with good mortars will have a huge advantage in both attack and defence over one without.

Comment

Mortar team + UAV = lots of fun.
            Viking

Comment

Well when you have 3 people doing mortars you can have 3 people as lookouts. Also you dont necessarily need tons of ammo. Sometimes you just need a couple of rounds on an AA emplacement and a fob taking out 2-4 guys in the process as well and thats it. If people dont call them in that much anyway, as some correctly stated, then it wont hurt situational awarness that much either, but if they are needed badly, they are there, one crate worth + what is in the tubes.

I really see no downside to setting up mortars when you defend. The other night we assaulted Radar Station on Iron Eagle with the IDF. A mortar barrage would have helped greatly and taken out AA too. Probably what was in the tubes would have sufficied. I just feel its better to build them and not need them, than to not build them and find yourself lacking.

Id like to have them avaiable more often and imo if the defending squad sets them up its the way to go, it does not mean they have to man them all the time.

Comment

One thing I have learned during pub games is, that if you want to see it happen then you might as well do it yourself. That way you can teach the proper way of doing it. It gets some people to understand the concept and ideas on what to do and what not to do. Then low and behold you will not have to do it as much because other know how and step up.

A good leader requires both character and strategy. If he is to be without one, let it be strategy. - General Rick Hilliar, Former Canadian Chief of Defence

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X