Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

low fps on certain maps/ in certain situations. Help appreciated!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• low fps on certain maps/ in certain situations. Help appreciated!

Hi Community,

I just recently joined the great TG community and I already come to you, to ask for some help to improve my fps on my system, unfortunately. I've tried everything I could think of and still don't have a clue, what that issue is all about. I this the right Forum? I just figured it is, since it is a problem I only have with PR.

Let first be said, I have started playing PR 2 years ago and never ever before did I have any issues whatsoever with performance. I was always playing on highest settings without any bad impact. I recently had like a 6months break and back there everything still worked fine. Now with me starting to play again, on maps like Shijia Valley, Fallujah West, Gaza always and on nearly every other map in certain situations like heavy smoke and explosions I experience a slight to really heavy "hardware lag".

So what changed in my computer setup the last 6 months?
    - I bought a creative x-fi xtreme music (before, I had onboard realtek hd sound)
    - I switched from Windows Vista 32Bit to Windows 7 64Bit(I am quite certain this is the problem)
    -I got myself a new monitor 24 inch (22inch before)

And what did I already do?
    -deinstall and a clean new install with all drivers (graphics, sound, chipset)
    -take out the x-fi, deinstalling the corresponding drivers and reinstalling onboard sound
    -assigning battlefield 2 to just one cpu core on my quad core cpu
    -checking temperatures and workload on cpu, graphics card and ram memory. Everything seems fine and not overloaded at all. 3.2-3.5 of my 4GB Ram are usually used. CPU is at around 50% Load when playing PR, Temperatures all around 35-45?C ( I take great care when it comes to heat management)
    -overclocking cpu (since it was never overloaded I did not really think that would change much and it didn't)
    - checked processes in the background and none is using up much or is in any other way unusual
    -lowering all graphic settings/ sound settings in pr to minimum. Changed nothing besides an increase of somewhat 3fps while "hardware lagging".
    - since someone stated that running the game in compatability mode(which I had running always with PR) is lowering performance, I siwtched that off completely, still nothing changed.
    -I even switched my graphics card for a day to try, if my card got damaged or something - again nothing.

my rig:
    Windows 7 64 Bit Ultimate
    Asus P5 QL-CM Mainboard
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400
    Geforce 8800 GTX for test purpose. Usually I use a Geforce 260 GTS. I already tried the game with both. No change.
    4 GB= 2x 2GB DDR2 Corsair Ram CL 5-5-5-15 in dual channel
    HDD's: 3x Western Digital Caviar 250GB
    Creative X-FI Xtreme Music

I am very desperate at this point and even can't get myself to play at all with that issue.
    Pleas anyone, do you guys have a few tips other than "reinstall windows" or "upgrade your rig"? ( truely those are the 2 most said things when someone has a computer issue, eh? )
    I am damn sure it is Windows 7 plaguing me here, but I just don't know how to counter it.

Might that I forget to tell something, if I will add that later in my original post given I remember.

Sincerely
    Colonel Ragman
    Last edited by Col.Ragman; 08-31-2011, 05:04 PM.

Re: low fps on certain maps/ in certain situations. Help appreciated!

Well what kind of frames are we talking about?

The maps you mention are crazy intensive on these computers simply due to limitations of the engine itself. Fallujah has been nearly completely redone and as a result many people noticed a frame rate drop from previous versions. Shijia Valley is just released and needs to be optimized for gameplay/compatibility reasons (take Yamalia for example, its now a merely a shade of its original beauty but plays smoother).

Comment

Things i would try:

-watch performance monitor while running PR to find out what might be using up the system resources
      -close all unnecessary background processes
      -defragment drives
      -play around with the pagefile location and size
      -disable prefetch, superfetch and indexing services
      -disable antivirus and win7 security center
      -install PR on a faster HDD
      -install a 2nd OS and set up dual boot, install PR on both and see if they have the same problems
      sigpic

Comment

Hey mates,

thanks for your quick answers :)

@YTman
        Well, yeah I know Shijia intensive, but for example with the redone Fallujah West I never had a problem before. Same with the old Yamalia or Lashkar Valley, all played just perfect before.
        We are by the way talking about a former framerate of 58-60 (limited because of the 60Hz screen). Now in the maps and situations stated in my post above I have framerates between 35 and 20.

Originally posted by Buflak View Post
        Things i would try:

-watch performance monitor while running PR to find out what might be using up the system resources
        -defragment drives
        -install a 2nd OS and set up dual boot, install PR on both and see if they have the same problems

-Watching performance: done! Irritating enough, nothing is used up around 100%, not in the slightest.
        -closing background processes: done! I did not have a lot of processes in the first place, but nevertheless tried and changed nothing.
        -disable antivirus and win7 security center: done! nothing changed.

-play around with the pagefile location and size: ? I don't get it. What is a "pagefile"? Sorry, never heard that word before.

-defragment drives: I am doing that right now. I forgot that completely. Those HDDs ran for quite some time extensively without that.
        -disable prefetch, superfetch and indexing services: Trying that now.

-install PR on a faster HDD: I won't be able to do that, for some time(because of money) , but I would rate that as rather unlikely to be the "cure". Will remember and try later maybe.
        -install a 2nd OS and set up dual boot: Will try that later, first trying the faster tips.

Comment

You can try this, for what it's worth:

Start Menu -> Right Click on Computer -> Properties -> Advanced System Settings -> Advanced Tab -> Settings (under performance) -> Adjust for Best Performance -> Apply

This will automatically change all your Windows settings for best performance and will turn off Aero and things like that. Just reverse the process when you want everything back to normal.

Other than that, I would say better gpu and more ram!

Comment

I had a similar issue, but it was appearing on all maps - it was related to Mumble overlay function which somehow utilized crazy amount of CPU cycles, leaving nothing for PR and driving my in-game fps count close to 0.

sigpic
            |TG-69th|desant

Comment

Originally posted by desant_1 View Post
              I had a similar issue, but it was appearing on all maps - it was related to Mumble overlay function which somehow utilized crazy amount of CPU cycles, leaving nothing for PR and driving my in-game fps count close to 0.
              Now that sounds like a solid possible solution. I usually have mumble overlay enabled. Well I will try it today without. Istill hope, that isn't the issue, since I love to know who is talking :)

Comment

Hi folks,
                thanks a lot for your fast answers.

@YTman
                I see where you are coming from, but I never before had issues with the revamped Fallujah West or Yamalia etc. My fps are 58-60 (limited due to the monitor vsync) when everything is fine and drops to 20-30 while being around lots of smoke or being on one of the above stated maps.

Originally posted by Buflak View Post
                Things i would try:

-defragment drives
                -watch performance monitor while running PR to find out what might be using up the system resources - done before and everything is not even close to heavy workload
                -close all unnecessary background processes - done before, did nothing.
                -defragment drives - just tried the last few hours, did nothing.
                -play around with the pagefile location and size - just tried, did nothing.
                -disable prefetch, superfetch and indexing services- tried, did nothing.
                -disable antivirus and win7 security center- everything already disabled
                -install PR on a faster HDD - not gonna happen soon. I got no money for such a thing right now. I will keep it in mind, but I honestly don't see that as a likely source of the problem.
                -install a 2nd OS and set up dual boot, install PR on both and see if they have the same problems - will try that later. I try the faster tips first.

Comment

* Update* So far I have played one round on dragon fly with that disabled and it ran smooth. I still need more testing though.

Comment

I run Fallujah between 60-25 FPS depending on location. Gaza is the same story. Shijia Valley... well thats a big map so I'd have to check that out. (I know that I turn off Xfire and get a fps boost)

Comment

I get this on a few maps too and same with my friends, Fallujah, gaza and another whos name escapes me.

Comment

*Update*

Unfortunately, the above stated solution attempt with the mumble overlay changed nothing....again.

-play around with the pagefile location and size: did nothing.
                        -defragment drives: all harddrives completely defragmented: did nothing.
                        -disable prefetch, superfetch and indexing services: did nothing.

By the way, I also overclocked my cpu, no change in fps. So I cleary have evidence here that it has nothing to do with my CPU.

I will try setting up a dual-operation system the next few days and see if that helps.

Keep your advice coming :)

Comment

-overclock your video card
                          -overclock your ram, lower latencies or higher speed
                          -use 3rd party defrag software instead of the one that comes with win7. I use DiskTrix, you can select files/folders to be placed on the outer edge of your hdd, lowering acces times.
                          -browse the PR support forum: http://www.realitymod.com/forum/f357...eality-support
                          -check this guide: http://www.realitymod.com/forum/f27-...ed-memory.html
                          sigpic

Comment

Have you tried running both mumble and pr as an administrator?

I just made the switch from vista64 to win764 and I also had issues running pr. Different issues than you seem to be experiencing, but running both programs as administrator cleared it up. I have no idea why.

Right click on the exe and select run as admin.

Comment

Make sure your system runs on full steam all the time. Some computers have a feature where the system can dynamically adjust the CPU speed and everything else. It can happen that it doesnt adjust the CPU speed fast enough, or doesnt put enough power at its disposition. Get Z-CPU and make sure your CPU is maxed out all the time.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X