Keep the server alive!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keep the server alive!

There's a way, manually or automatically to have the server seed with only 1km maps because that's nearly all thats played when we're starting populating the server for the evening. This alone is not enough. There is something else we gotta do too. After 9pm Pacific Time, if the server is full, and there is a map change and the map change is to any 4km map, with-out-fail, the server will be dead in 15 minutes. Even if it changes to a 2km map with rough terrain, such as Fools Road, or Lakashar Valley, it will very quickly be murdered.

In the interest of the community, and especially those who don't have to go to bed by 10, it should be made a policy that no "drag" or "grind" "daunting scale" maps be introduced after 9 Pacific Time. The list below pretty well covers what I think are universally liked and playable maps, at any time, in any mood, with any amount of players.

Muttrah City
    Qwai River
    Asad Khal
    Assault on Mestia
    Operation Marlin

and possibly

Tad Sae
    Ghost Train
    Gaza
    Iron Ridge
    Beirut
    Kozelsk

And of all the larger maps listed, ALT mode and especially in INF mode work wonders to keep a steady pulse.

Like many of you, I've been playing PR for over 5 years (hoooly crap, it's really been that long?!) and in that length of time, you pick up on things like this. Other things too. I'm going over the purpose of the post at this point, but how many of us even like 4km maps? I never really have. I've just shuffled my boots and played through them, because I like the game so much, but how many of you really think to yourself, "Oh Boy! Qinling is up next!" "Nice! After this we get to play Yamalia!" "Yes! just the map I was itching for, KASHAN DESERT!" "Ohhhhh yeah! time for some IRON EAGLE!"

?
    [sigpic]

sigpic

"Always acknowledge a fault. This will throw those in authority off their guard and give you an opportunity to commit more."
    -Mark Twain

In game: |TG| Maxwell_Q_Klinger

Re: Keep the server alive!

*looks around the room nervously and hesitantly raises hand*

I do?

*quickly puts hand down*

"You milsim guys are ruining the game."

Comment

me too.

Comment

Aren't 4km maps what pr is all about??
        But as much as I hate having a dead server. What we need is a weekly password event.
        Our sever was seeded by morning for me and stayed seeded until night. Those events make tg the best. And the lack of events have left the server dead and forgotten

We're... We're going streaking!!!!! We're going up the quad and to the gymnasium!!?

Comment

Two things:

Could we have something akin to a designated seeding time (eg 19:30 EST)?

Also, what about running Co-op for a round or something, just so people can have something to shoot at while they're waiting.
          sigpic PROJECT REALITY

Comment

I think the problem is that you can't change the map list mid round. You have to restart the server to change it. Thus, once you have a bunch of "seeder" maps, you get the server full, and you want to change the map list, you have to empty the server, change the map list, then come back on to find that everyone has left and they aren't coming back.

Comment

Originally posted by majorissuez99 View Post
              Aren't 4km maps what pr is all about??
              But as much as I hate having a dead server. What we need is a weekly password event.
              Our sever was seeded by morning for me and stayed seeded until night. Those events make tg the best. And the lack of events have left the server dead and forgotten

We're... We're going streaking!!!!! We're going up the quad and to the gymnasium!!?
              To be fair I don't agree "lack of PW events have left the server dead and forgotten".

What would you have, a pw event every night???

Lack of people playing has left the server empty at times, that is the bottom line indisputable fact and the logic cannot be argued with. Why? Because regardless of what events you have, and we surely don't have full time paid Admins who can run a pw night every night, the thing that makes a server empty is people not logging on, doing other things or simply playing elsewhere.

We can run more events but we are not turning the server into a special occasion party every night, why, because we have real lives. Do players seriously expect a special event just so you will grace us with your presence lol. Are people that bored with the gameplay. If so fine but let's not blame other things for it. It is very demanding to expect a server to run off the back of special events. However I accept there may be more the Administration can do to promote matters.

We can look at more PW events but we can't promise them every single week without fail, particularly when the server sits empty for large parts of the time. Perhaps I am too jaded at this point with all the 'It's the failure to run pw events that keeps the server empty, not my failure to log on and play" arguments. I will speak to the Admin Team to get a better perspective on this.

Comment

Originally posted by Wicks View Post
                I will speak to the Admin Team to get a better perspective on this.
                Thanks Wicks. As you know, we used to have password nights every Thursday and Sunday. Now it's like once or twice a month.

Comment

Partly true, we haven't had twice weekly password nights on any kind of consistent basis for years though. People also just used to log on and play every day, didn't go to other servers etc. Times have changed.

We are discussing things as we speak in the Admin forums. Let's see what comes of that.

Comment

Oh, and I almost forgot... I love 4km maps, although Qinling is certainly not a great representation.

Comment

personaly i like 4km maps to. and thats why the map list is set up the way it is, theres a bit of everything for everyone. the OP wants things done a specific way, but thats only from his point of view. theres are other things to consider and i think our admin team does a good job. its no ones fault that the server has been dead lately. with the release of MW3, BF3 and Skyrim (3 blockbusters) within a month of each other, its expected that things would get rough for a while, but once people are played out on those thay will start to come back. i think if we were to have another PR content update (not just map pack) released in another 4-6 months that would jump start the server nicely. but if it happens to soon, then people will play for a few days then go back to MW3 or BF3. kind of like what happened with the map pack :/

Comment

4 km maps...great! Battle for Qinling...not so much.

Comment

I think PR itself is doing fine... and we have already seen a lot of players return from those other games.

Here's a screenshot I took last weekend of PRSPY:

As you can see, it seems pretty healthy.

We just need to rediscover our TG pride and get the server back to where it used to be. It's probably a bit off-topic, but step up and squad lead, greet new players and share what TG is all about, and offer ideas on how we can better seed on weekdays. Once the server is full, it's a great place to be... but we need your help getting it there and keeping it there... like in the old days. :)

Comment

No one joins TG because when it does finally seed.... 10 minutes later it crashes. I spend every afternoon seeding. And just as we get enough people... BAM CRASH!.... Its so frustrating.

The TG server has a reputation for crashing, in fact ive asked people on other servers why they dont join TG and they say because it crashes so much. Happens all the time. SO much more frequently then other servers.

And Wicks... I made no implication that admins should be hosting daily events.

Theres many factors as to why TG is no longer a popular server. Im just simply stating a couple of them. There are more. It is not one single factor. Its many. Im not blaming the admin team for anything. I diddn't mean that post to be negative in the slightest. So I feel as though the rant about how I made a negative comment towards admins was unnecessary.
                            What I was saying actually was: "Yay Chrisweb, you're the best! - for having a password night this weekend, you got everyone excited for a successful day of PR on the TG server, the best day in over a month, Such a good day in fact that I think we should have one everyweek!".

Comment

Here is why I think 4km maps are not as good as 2k and 1k maps. 4k maps are very vehicle centric yes? Yes. Now, Does PR have the best tanker game out there? No. Go get an Armored Fist or Steel Beasts. Is PR the best helicopter simulator? Nope, go play Xplane 10. Is PR the best CAS game out there? Not by a long shot. Try DCS Blackshark or A-10C. How about aerial fights? Sorry, better go play IL-2 Sturmovik or Falcon 4.0.

Now, what about infantry and mechanized infantry warfare? YES! Project Reality IS among the very best simulators of warfare infantry combat. But, does just infantry get boring? Yes! That is why we have the vehicles we have, but going away from the core of the game to use them? No. As we will see in all of the most popular maps (just look for the maps a server advertises as 24/7) all of the vehicles on the map supplement and enrich the infantry experience. When, in most 4km maps you take the infantry out of PR, you are taking the soul away from the game. 4km maps aren't realistic or indicative of anything remotely comprehensible. If, like PR is trying to simulate, full scale war erupts between major military factions, 64 men in an area of 16 kilometers squared even in vehicles, is never going to happen unless they are scouts/recon, or just plain lost.

4km is just plain tedious.
                              [sigpic]

sigpic

"Always acknowledge a fault. This will throw those in authority off their guard and give you an opportunity to commit more."
                              -Mark Twain

In game: |TG| Maxwell_Q_Klinger

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...