Voimble

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Voimble

I've been thinking of this thread today in light of current mumble usage. When I started that thread I was really impressed with how well mumble worked when VOIP was not an option and never thought that mumble would progress the way it has with seperate channels for squads, squad leaders and CO. However I find mumble at times becoming just as bad as VOIP. Let me explain.

The new mumble is a HUGE improvement for PRBF2 but it's use is still lacking. For whatever reason most people in the squads I'm in only use the squad channel rather than the local (positional audio) channel when were close quarters. Thats what I hated about VOIP was trying to focus on the situation at hand in game and then hearing a squad member's voices in my head at full throttle. I thought the purpose of mumble was to take advantage of the positional audio for more tactical awareness not voimble! Now were back to square one, well 1/2 a square.

I ask people to use local channel while in close quarters now because it's jirating as hell. Otherwise I hope that there is another step in the progression of mumble that will change from localized (positional audio) after a distance of between say 20 to 30 meters before it kicks into squad channel.

DDS
    sigpic

Re: Voimble

I think one reason is that not only do you want the entire squad to hear what you are saying, you want to ensure that they do. One way is via the squad radio. I know I use it instead of the local quite often. I usually relegate local channel for talking to non-squad members.

Comment

I too dislike people using the squad channel. It sounds like SL channel as well as Teamspeak and is quite confusing, especially if you don't know the players voices. Mumble force center is no better than in-game voip. Just use that if you want to speak to people in your squad over long distances. In-game voip automatically lowers the game sound effects so you can hear better anyway.
      Viking

Comment

I think part of the problem is the fact that there are half a dozen hot keys for comms that you have to know, or more if you also have TS3 up as I do. I can speak in complete sentences using separate comms for each word!

This can be confusing, and so a force center all the time is just easier for some folks, or more preferable to make the pew pew noise as it's louder than local speak thus enabling them to annoy more people.

As is almost always the case, a possible solution to this is the Squad Leader. He can simply give the order to hold radio comms and keep it on local speech until further notice. Simple, but effective and no programming required!

Comment

Originally posted by mangeface View Post
          I think one reason is that not only do you want the entire squad to hear what you are saying, you want to ensure that they do. One way is via the squad radio. I know I use it instead of the local quite often. I usually relegate local channel for talking to non-squad members.
          Unless you are the Squad Leader this is the wrong way to look at it, frankly. When I left PR:vBF2 to go try out the PR:vArmA2 mod I got super familiarized with organizing squads of 10+ men separated into three fireteams spread around one objective. Trust me, if everyone wants to be heard its one giant cluster frunk of noise and info that isn't particularly useful.

Whenever I SL (most of the time, unless I'm annoying Chrispew) I almost always say "Please, for the love of god, use local only." If you need to use squad voip you are too far away from me. The added benefit of local is that I can hear where the voice is coming from. Which better addresses who exactly is calling out; "CONTACT 325 of ME!" (who in blazes is ME).

Hell I might as well just do a "SoP on comm usage" for TGU as well...

Comment

Squad channel is faster than voip, and it makes sure you are heard unlike local. I see no problem with it.

"All of you stay frickin high speed. All you stay on your frickin primaries and frickin slay bodies all day long. Good to go" -Combat Ninja lol

Comment

Also with a custom overlsy setup to your liking you can tell if someone is talking to you in local or force center, their squad name and their name. Only time I get confused about my 3 comms systems is when m mumble overlay isn't on. Mumble force center doesn't have the voip delay, and is better quality aswell.
              |TG-69th|chrisweb89

Comment

Originally posted by Ytman View Post
                I almost always say "Please, for the love of god, use local only." ..snip...
                That made me swallow my drink wrong. lol

Then it's just back to setting the tone as squad leader. I'll have to get back into the groove if I'm going to stay sane (been away for almost a year). Comms are so vital but it's so exhausting everytime having to explain better usage. Sigh

Originally posted by Ytman View Post
                .. "CONTACT 325 of ME!" (who in blazes is ME).

Hell I might as well just do a "SoP on comm usage" for TGU as well...
                It's good organizational management.. (comms usage) and I wish more squad leads took notice of how effective it is. Especially in a fire fight.
                sigpic

Comment

Ok, Im reviving this thread. Still an issue for me having voices of squad members in my head during firefights and within very short distances. I know Im probably beating a dead horse here but am I alone on this?

It seems the concept of 3D positional audio has escaped most of the community. Do they understand what that is? You can tell where friendly players are based upon the direction of the sound of their voice.

I've heard people explain that they don't have a key mapped for it. So they can map all of BF2's critical gaming keys but that one local key already mapped in mumble eludes them?! I'm sorry what..?

I have gotten to the point that if a squad refuses to use local channel within 10 meter radius after politely asking a few times a deal breaker for me and just leaving the squad. How about we step up our "A" game in comms too.
                  sigpic

Comment

I don't mind it too much as a SL but it all depends on the situation. If I'm trying to talk in SL channel, or coordinae and people start talking in force center, unless its really important I will ask them to type or use local.
                    |TG-69th|chrisweb89

Comment

What irks me is any SL NOT identifying themselves in SL ALL chat. I don't know if they're in my squad or what. You can also talk to individual SLs using the number pad, which seems to allude some people.

Comment

Yes the SL channel is either a cluster muck or semi useful. I was in NWA a few days ago for a quick game. For that one game their SL channel was beautiful. I was really taken aback how efficient it was. We got our buts kicked but not for lack of trying.
                        sigpic

Comment

I stopped using mumble for two reasons. One, it never worked well for vehicles. Someone was always too quiet, too loud, mumble would desync or whatever. That's probably fixed.

Two, I know Baptists who are less preachy and less pretentious/know-it-all than mumble proponents. I couldn't justify being associated with them. They just don't understand that no amount of cajoling, begging, shaming, threataning, etc, will ever get the majority with the program.

Comment

Originally posted by mat552 View Post
                            They just don't understand that no amount of cajoling, begging, shaming, threataning, etc, will ever get the majority with the program.
                            Majority is already with the program.

Comment

The latest version of mumble is sweet, and I agree that the majority of people use it. It makes a great game better.

However, people are people no matter what voip you're using, and it comes down to admins and education.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X