Filling the PR void

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Filling the PR void

In my discussions with many of you in the past weeks I've been reaching for a PR replacement, and none have really been made clear. Here's what I've come across.

The beginning of the video says it right off the bat.

"Filling the void between run and gun shooters and simulation games like ARMA"

It's called Ground Branch, now in pre-alpha and up on kickstarter.

Not as massive as PR. But with full mod support, I imagine after a while something with combined arms will arise naturally, especially given the game's essential similarity with PR, called "NORG". Basically, the devs are simulating at a very basic level, building from the ground up in a functional, realistic way, rather than forcing top-down mechanics on the player to create realism. Think what PR does with suppression and how that effected gameplay.

Their ethos is also in line with what a lot of us like to see in games. No DRM, dedicated servers, and challenging gameplay that punishes failure.

What do you all think of GB?

Also, any games you are seeing on the horizon that might fill the PR void?
    Stay together, communicate, don't give up.

sigpic

Re: Filling the PR void

Looks very, very interesting. The impression I get from the video makes it look like Arma II with what seems like better customization and avoiding the jerkiness with the character and animations... I'm rather interested really.

Comment

Backing it.

Comment

It won't be like ARMA. I think that's a good thing. PR isn't like ARMA. I made a pretty in depth post about this on their forums before I decided to back it.

sigpic

Comment

It doesn't look like the engine is built for more than SWAT like games. Expecting a Combined Arms substitute from this doesn't seem reasonable.

This all being said I do like the attempt at going back to the basics and bringing back tactical gameplay to the masses.

Comment

Already pledged, looks great (getting the basics right) though I agree it will be small scale, ie sort of Rainbow 6/CS size.

Comment

Work harder on the NVGs? It looks like it does in real life as it is...sh**. I'm definitely going to look more into this, but I'm not going to throw a pledge out yet.

Comment

Could be good, though it looks a bit like Red Orchestra and the PC versions of GRAW (the latter of which which are an awesome deal if you're looking for something tactical, relatively modern, and cheap to play for a couple of days, by the way).

In the meantime, Runescape! Oh yeah!
                sigpic PROJECT REALITY

Comment

Originally posted by Ytman View Post
                  It doesn't look like the engine is built for more than SWAT like games. Expecting a Combined Arms substitute from this doesn't seem reasonable.
                  it's on the unreal 3 engine, so why not? Red orchestra uses the same.

Unrelated... just had a strange thought... why not mod arma into more of an arcade shooter rather than trying to make arcade shooters more like arma? go the other way on the spectrum. one would certainly have more tools to work with.
                  Last edited by Paine; 06-25-2012, 04:03 PM.

sigpic

Comment

I could get into this... But I want to see some action!

Comment

Originally posted by ShockUnitBlack View Post
                      Could be good, though it looks a bit like Red Orchestra and the PC versions of GRAW (the latter of which which are an awesome deal if you're looking for something tactical, relatively modern, and cheap to play for a couple of days, by the way).

It is in fact on the same engine as RO2, so one can expect similar graphics and scale. I don't know the maximum map sizes, but I think it is <1km˛, maybe less than half of that even.

I'm waiting with y'all, but do check out ro2 or its mods when they come if you are interested in this game. This game here is really not going to offer much that isn't in RO2 mechanics/engine wise. Plenty of RO2 guest passes available btw.

Comment

Originally posted by Paine View Post
                        In my discussions with many of you in the past weeks I've been reaching for a PR replacement, and none have really been made clear. Here's what I've come across.

The beginning of the video says it right off the bat.

"Filling the void between run and gun shooters and simulation games like ARMA"

It's called Ground Branch, now in pre-alpha and up on kickstarter.

Not as massive as PR. But with full mod support, I imagine after a while something with combined arms will arise naturally, especially given the game's essential similarity with PR, called "NORG". Basically, the devs are simulating at a very basic level, building from the ground up in a functional, realistic way, rather than forcing top-down mechanics on the player to create realism. Think what PR does with suppression and how that effected gameplay.

Their ethos is also in line with what a lot of us like to see in games. No DRM, dedicated servers, and challenging gameplay that punishes failure.

What do you all think of GB?

Also, any games you are seeing on the horizon that might fill the PR void?
                        Already backed - it looks good. The best part is that this is an independent studio so they will stick to their guns and develop the game the way they want.

"You milsim guys are ruining the game."

Comment

Backed. Good find

Haikus are easy.
                          But sometimes they don't make sense.
                          Refrigerator.

Comment

Backed. I went with the battle buddy plan of putting $30 down.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockUnitBlack View Post
                              Holy hell, I haven't played that since I was in middle school. So...11 or 12 years.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X