No announcement yet.

The PR server is closing down.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [ANNOUNCEMENT] The PR server is closing down.

Friends,

The Project Reality server at Tactical Gamer will be officially closing it's doors at the end of this month. Unofficially, we closed the doors on the server about a month after the release of 1.0.

The interest from the Project Reality community at large as well as the Tactical Gamer community has cycled from "we wish you were here" to "we're so glad you're back" to "who are you, again?". The server that we have is sitting empty basically 24/7 at this point and is too much of a financial drain on the TG coffers to justify keeping around to just look at and reminisce about the glory days gone past.

We've fought the good fight. We tried. It just was not meant to be.

This is a brief (ha! such a lie) timeline of our return through our departure (again):

Sometime in March or April (too lazy to look), there was a buzz that the release of 1.0 was imminent. There was a great deal of unrest in the PR community centering largely around the lack of teamwork on other servers and a great number of players wishing TG was still around. We decided to capitalize on the opportunity in front of us: 1.0 + players clamoring for TG to return and fired up a server. Granted, it wasn't a beast of a server, but we had a presence and filled it up with announced events on weekends that featured an awful of great game play. It was like we never left, and the excitement was so thick you could have cut it with a knife.

Then the worst thing imaginable happened: 1.0 was delayed. After waiting almost 2 years for a new release of Project Reality (not a mini-mod), the community was let down by a technical issue with the release. This threw our plans into complete disarray and stalled the momentum we had built up at TG for the return of PR. As it would turn out, we never really recovered from this.

Summer arrives and time passes. Our server events came to a halt as we all spent our time outdoors. The server sat empty. This was a conscious decision on our part, as we were afraid we wouldn't have enough coverage on the admin team to handle the server, and we didn't want just any type of game play on the server. Nope, we were striving for password-night quality each and every round. I realize that this is an impossible goal to achieve, but we were going to try anyway. After all, why should TG come back if we were just going to be like every other server out there that people were complaining about.

Now would probably be a good time to make another observation of the obvious. The player base for Project Reality has changed quite a bit over the years. This started before we shut down for the first time and really seemed to accelerate after we left. Maybe this isn't necessarily a fair observation to make, but it sure seemed like the typical PR player became a lot more about themselves, less communicative, and not focused on the team. In other words, they didn't seem to play the game "right". Couple this with the rise of other servers such as CIA, Hardcore and =HOG=. You know, players develop habits. They tend to go to the same places over and over, and part of this might be because the rules/administration cater more to their style of game play. I'm not digging on any of those other communities at all - kudos to them for keeping the faith and keeping their servers full during the lull between releases. All I'm saying is that it gets ingrained in people where they want to play and it seems hard to break habits. All of your buddies go to the same server, so that's where you play. That was TG several years ago. It makes it hard for the new guy to be successful, even if we weren't really the new guy.

Anyway, in August we finally got 1.0. Yay! I got Apophis to get us a kick-butt server after the new release proved to be way too much for our old virtual server. This was my mistake. I should have gotten the new server on line before 1.0 dropped so it was ready for the release, but I didn't. Hate on me. However, there is a bigger issue here: Project Reality 1.0 is a big, steaming pile of dog poo. At least on the server side. Maybe it's getting stabilized more now thanks to the efforts of dbzao, but the truth is that 1.0 has been pure, utter crap for most of it's life since the initial release. Every server has experienced crash after inexplicable crash. No matter what we did to settings, hardware, nothing - NOTHING - could stabilize this pile of festering feces.

Another problem with 1.0 is probably what players were most excited about: the 100 player hack. Yes, I think that this change spells the end of the mod. Why? Well, if anyone has paid attention to the population in the mod since 1.0 was released you would have seen a trend. Yes, the population spiked dramatically when 1.0 was released and stayed somewhat steady for a while. Other servers came back or new ones started (you can lump us in this group). However, as new titles came out or people went to school/got bored of the mod or frustrated with the crashes, the population trickled back down to pre-1.0 levels. However, with 100 player servers, you now have the issue where there are only so many players to go around and too many servers. Supply and demand. Now what you're seeing is one, maybe 2 US servers populated with only 1 really ever full. People, as we found, will not join a server that has a smaller population. So what happens is that one server sits full and the other is maybe half full. I would argue that there are 20-30 other players out there who look at PRSPY and decide that if they can't get onto the full server then they're just not going to play, because who wants to play on a half-full server? Eventually those players probably just fall off of the PR bandwagon and move on. Where there would have been enough players to support 3 64-player servers and keep them full you now find only 1 truly full server and the other just half-baked. This will be the end of the mod in my opinion. They're driving servers out of business, and regardless of the interest in the mod or the dedication of the dev team, without servers hosting the game, their days are numbered.

Anyway, back to us. Our typical day would be as follows: Seed the server, server populates, we start a round - CRASH - restart the server, start seeding - CRASH - restart, seed it full again, get in one full round and start another - CRASH. Wash, rinse, repeat. Day after freaking day.

All of this crashing lead to another phenomenon I like to call "Server Surfing". Remember the whole loyalty thing I just talked about above? It comes into play here. "Server surfing" is the act of changing to the next PR server in the server browser once the one you're on crashes. It's just riding the PR server waves (tasty). As such, when our server would be full and crash, we'd sit around trying to reseed it to full again and wait for another hour or two until the waves of crashes washed all of the PR players back onto the shores of our server. Why the hell wouldn't you just rejoin the server you were on, experiencing a great round? It makes no sense, but again the mentality is a little different.

Speaking of seeding, I would like to thank the small handful of dedicated, non-admin seeders we had. If you're reading this you know who you are, and I'd like to express my sincere gratitude to each of you for trying to help us get some life breathed into the server. This also brings up a pet peeve of mine, which is the *lack* of support from the TG community. I've said this over and over before, but you have no idea how frustrating it was to spend literally hours of my time, be it paid (like I'm at work) or personal (like I'd like to be with my family) seeding the server only to look on the server browser and see TG tags playing on other servers. WTF is about the only response I can think of. I mean, here are people who are paying a supporting membership fee to TG not supporting their server because there are only 6 people playing on it trying to seed. Maybe, just maybe, if we had more help the server wouldn't have struggled to gain population. Maybe.

Anyway, back to my long, drawn out story. After a month of frustration with the Windows server, an admin from another community sold me on the idea of Linux. His server was running fine on it, sometimes up to 30 hours without a single crash. After sitting on that for a while, I decided I had had enough of the crashes and was desperate to try anything to get our server stable. It was personal at this point. So I asked Apophis to pull the trigger, and he did. Within a single day he had the box rebuilt as Linux and got it up and running. Sure, we had some hiccups, but it was running.

Guess what? Project Reality 1.0 is a huge, steaming pile of dog crap. Or, as one of my teachers told me long ago (LONG AGO), "You can't polish a turd." Truer words have never been spoken.

So, anyway, you know the rest of the story. We still crash. We've sat empty now for weeks because we don't have a regular player base (thanks server crashes) and the gaming gods have conspired against us further with the releases of ArmA III, GTA 5 and now the BF4 beta. Isn't that just a kick in the crotch? Yeah, it kind of was exactly like a kick in the crotch.

So, our server is going away. It won't be back. Ever.

I'd like to thank my admins, who were helpful in running the good ship lollipop. Special kudos goes to my right-hand man and tactical genius, Portable.Cougar. I'd also like to thank the PR community and friends new and old. Project Reality at Tactical Gamer has given me some great memories. I've gotten to know quite a few TG members outside of the game and consider them more than just online "friends". I'm sure it's the same for a lot of you. When we were going good we had a feeling of community that was really special and, I think, extremely rare, at least for a gaming community. For that, I'd like to say thank you to all of you. All the best.

So long, and thanks for all of the fish!

"You milsim guys are ruining the game."

Re: The PR server is closing down.

All sad, and all true.

There are still good games to be had; hope to see you guys on the battlefield every once in a while.

Comment

Thanks Dispo. You poured many hours and hours of your time and expertise into trying to bring PR back to TG. Nobody else could have done any better. I too am disappointed at the lack of support from our community to help bring PR back.

Comment

Thanks for the memories!
        YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/user/DesmoLocke
        Twitch - http://www.twitch.tv/desmolocke/profile

Comment

I had high hopes that we could re-live the days of PR again, but I'll be the first to agree that the crashes were unbearable. I really wish I had the knowledge to fix it but they weren't map issues so I have to rely on the coders, and they've just been too busy or too perplexed.

To everyone who played PR on TG, thanks for the incredible memories! I'm going to go cry now...

Comment

Not unexpected, but still very sad.

I too wanted so bad to relive the good old days. They defined a period of my life with you people that was top notch. But less play time, different hours of work, all transpired to make PR 1.0 a few stolen hours here and there. The mod is great, when it works. But it was so crash happy. It is a sad day for me. We all have our battle stories that we will never forget.

Now to just move on, and keep the TG community strong. There are always other games, and PR on the Crysis engine.......

Dispo, thanks mate, you stepped up yet again to do a very difficult job, it was appreciated!

Comment

To Dispo, Cougar and Dirtboy in particular,

I would like to congratulate you guys on running what was at one time one of the finest online communities. I also think that when TG made the comeback, a good proportion of TG vets and SMs were nowhere to be seen. I remember during releases not being able to get into the server for 45mins (before auto-join!), and once I did, only to be kicked 10 mins in. There were just that many SMs back then. Although the TG 6th and X made the greatest return, we still lacked many of them and other units like Irr, XV, 120th etc just didnt come back. While we may of had a good core that made the return, we never had the sheer numbers like bag in 'the good ol days' that we'd have needed for the 100p servers.

Hopefully TG will duck its head in the forums once PR 2 is in beta!
              Thanks for the unforgettable and incomparable memories, TG.
              TG's PR really was realistic gaming redefined.

...mongol...
              "Mongol is a madman.
              Everyone but mongol dies. mongol yells in a forgien (to me) language.
              He comes running out the bushes after killing 2 rallys and knifing a few Britts."

Comment

So glad I got to experience this game to its absolute full potential, thanks to you guys.

Comment

Special thanks to Dispo and the other admins who worked their asses off to at least gave us the opportunity to have a few good weeks after the TG server made its return. I haven't had that much fun gaming since the good ol' days of PR! Unfortunately the constant crashes became too much to bear for many of us. PR was (is) the best game I've played, period. Here's to whatever the future has in store!

I didn't join a squad once and this guy named Nardini took me into the back room and beat me with a sock of oranges.

Comment

;_;

Comment

Sad news indeed. PR was the game that I found TG through (well, maybe BF2 and then PR).

Kudos to all the Admin team who put in so much effort trying to make a go of it.

I keep saying I am going to look for my BF2 CD, maybe I will actually get around to that and get on one more time before the end of the month, for old times sake. Are any events planned?
                      "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Big thanks to Dispo. You put a ton of time into trying to get the server to work.
                        Viking

Comment

PR has earned its slumber in the hallowed halls of TG giants, resting peacefully among its cousins forever more undisturbed. I miss the heady days of .5 through .8 as much as the next man, but I am glad that it has been recognized that PR's time has come and gone.

Comment

Originally posted by d1sp0sabl3H3r0 View Post
                            Speaking of seeding, I would like to thank the small handful of dedicated, non-admin seeders we had. If you're reading this you know who you are, and I'd like to express my sincere gratitude to each of you for trying to help us get some life breathed into the server. This also brings up a pet peeve of mine, which is the *lack* of support from the TG community. I've said this over and over before, but you have no idea how frustrating it was to spend literally hours of my time, be it paid (like I'm at work) or personal (like I'd like to be with my family) seeding the server only to look on the server browser and see TG tags playing on other servers. WTF is about the only response I can think of. I mean, here are people who are paying a supporting membership fee to TG not supporting their server because there are only 6 people playing on it trying to seed. Maybe, just maybe, if we had more help the server wouldn't have struggled to gain population. Maybe.
                            It was a good effort, for those who had the resolve to seed. I'm glad you (and others, of course) were there to make sitting around for an hour slightly less boring.

I also know I disappeared quite abruptly there. I was assembling a new PC as I felt it was bout-damn-time with A3 and such coming up, and once everything was said and done I was sad, though unsurprised, that the server remained empty day after day, while my own free time continued to get eaten up by work. I hope nobody else was wasting their times at that point because it really became draining to watch it flop like that.

You all probably won't see me in PR anymore. I love the mod, and loved 1.0 the most, but I just can't deal with the community.

Comment

This is sad to hear (again), but life moves on. I know for myself at least I have zero time to play at the moment compared to say 2 years ago when I could play every night for 4+hrs with no real worry about the next day. Times have changed.

And I'd agree with dispo the current day PR player isn't the same as those of a couple years ago. I only wish I could have helped out more with seeding and getting the good times rolling again.

It'll be hard to me to play PR when I do get the chance knowing that a good game can't be guaranteed.
                              AnimalMother
                              Ex TG-31st LR
                              "Is it the 31st policy to have hott women as their avatars? Because if so that's a pretty baddass policy." - Pvt. brokeback
                              sigpic

Arte et Marte

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...