Project Reality Mod v0.4 First Impressions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Project Reality Mod v0.4 First Impressions

Let's use this thread to capture everyone's first impressions with the mod. Please understand that there are known bugs that the PR team is working through. We are also evaluating the server configuration and will be making adjustments over the next few days.
    |TG-12th| asch
    sigpic

Re: Project Reality Mod v0.4 First Impressions

The one map I tried to log on for was unplayable for me. I think it's the same problem that I had with Port Fear - there's no fog on the maps, and so my hard drive or RAM or something is really overworked.

Comment

Some minor tweaks aside, I was (surprisingly) very impressed with the mod. Everything seems like it's relatively balanced, the maps are immaculately detailed, and the new weapons and sounds are great. Tonite was my first time trying the mod and it was a lot of fun. I think it'll be a great fit with the community, and the three or four squads I played in were mostly new to TG and all great team players. Looking forward to diving into it some more soon!
      Beatnik

Comment

Ooh another mod to play. *Downloads*
        |TG| Lorian
        Member since 18th February 2006

Comment

All I can say is WOW :row__523:. This mod is so sweet and there are allot of changes from 0.32. Be sure to check the PLAYER GUIDE for all the info its worth it ;) http://prguide.realitymod.com/index....tle=User_Guide.

|TG-12th| Troublesome4u

Comment

Update is in the members downloads section.... Thanks for whoever jumped on this!

Comment

I played a good amount last night seeing a lot of the new maps and playing with a number of new toys.

As usual vanilla AAS does not work with more than 24 (2 squads each side) players. It just creates too much of a log jam. I know PR is trying to go for a more realistic battlefield and eliminate the deathmatch feel that conquest brings but unless AAS becomes more dynamic (multiple paths, ability to cut off the flag chain to prevent forward spawn) you will get what we had last night on muttrah city. I dot like the idea of AAS as it does give you a progression towards an objective and it uses the entire map, but it needs some work.

The details in .4 are great.

They have placed some of the flags underground to eliminate the focus on the flag and place it on holding a position instead.

At least on Al Basrah, the insurgents have mobile spawn points (pickup trucks) in addition to spawning at the flags. The city is already setup like a death trap for the USMC rolling through, but giving the insurgents the ability to spawn wherever they want will make it really tough for the USMC as it should be.

The sounds. With the new sounds you can really tell if someone is shooting at you or someone else. I was up on a hill overlooking the gas station on muttrah with one of my squad members to my left. I heard the whistles of the bullets going by but not the smack so I knew the guys firing were aiming at my SM. When the SM went down, the whistles turned to smacks as I became the new target, pretty sweet.

Headshot (with any weapon) = killed = no chance at revival. Pretty serious penalty for sticking your head in the wrong place.

Sam Hoy and I got to test it out for a couple of maps before the bug kicked in but the kit requests seem to work. There were only 4-6 of us playing at the time so the demand wasnt there to really limit the kits nor was the system put through any stress tests.

PR still has artillery in place. Didnt really see it used last night so I dont know if they have nerfed it at all.

Portable AA is always fun.

RPGs are nasty. They will take down a helo in one shot and are seriously fast.

Field dressings are a great detail. I know I used them a bunch of times to give myself some time to find a medic.

Overall, this is an extremely well done and mod and they didnt even inlcude all of the changes/bug fixes in this release. We had a couple of good runs in TG squads though I think we really could've used the extra fire power from the requested kits. The new maps are very well done and quite different from previous maps. I highly recommend giving PR a download.

I did have a problem loading Mashtuur Nights, resulting in a CTD.
              EDIT: When I load the map I receive the message: mods/xpack/shaders/terrainshader.fx not found
              Last edited by aculle01; 11-12-2006, 12:46 PM. Reason: reason for ctd

Comment

Nice write up aculle. I only played briefly on the latter part of Muttrah City and then for a few minutes on Steel Thunder before I lost my connection. The one thing that did stand out are the sounds. The sounds really make you feel like you're on a real battlefield.

Like aculle said the AAS mode is not going to work on a populated server. I didn't realize it was on AAS and kept wondering to myself on Muttrah City why we couldn't even secure another CP when there were 6 other flags on the map.

Comment

Muttrah is tough, even with a few squads because the MEC can setup on the roof tops across from the DOcks and play marksman all day. What the USMC should've tried was some coordinated helo insertions with BH behind the MEC line while the little birds strafed the rooftops.

Comment

Are the other game modes working?

Comment

I like how the game voices are flattened out a bit....I usually have the volume jacked up so I can listen for footsteps and whatnot, but those voice comms in PoE2 and vanilla pierce my eardrums...not so in PR
                      |TG-33rd|Calvin

Comment

- Maps are fantastic. Big size, ambient sounds, objects, tall grass... The best BF2 maps I've ever seen.

- 10/10 to Sounds. With supersonic bullet effects, they managed to add effect of suppression into the game !

- I liked the new kit/class system.

- Admin team is discussing AAS mode issues. So just enjoy the game for now and wait for an announcement.

We have a great potential here gentlemen. This mod gives you a totally different BF2 experience. Kudos to PR team !

Comment

When loading Sharqui Nights i get:

Error!
                          mods/xpack/shaders/terrainshader.fx not found!!! _DO_ check your working directory and sync your shaders folder before calling upon your local rendering programmer/GP (really!)

O_o
                          |TG-33rd|Calvin

Comment

Originally posted by calvin View Post
                            When loading Sharqui Nights i get:

Error!
                            mods/xpack/shaders/terrainshader.fx not found!!! _DO_ check your working directory and sync your shaders folder before calling upon your local rendering programmer/GP (really!)

O_o
                            :icon_lol:

Try this: got to my documents/battlefield 2/mods/bf2/cache, delete whatever is in there. When I first loaded this map, it took about 10 minutes
                            because of the «optimizing shaders thingy». Never takes that long. This map must use some special shader functions or something (because it's a night map I guess).

DB

«That looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.» Donrhos

| |

Comment

Sounds are outstanding (weapons, footsteps, background, etc). The backblast from the TOW really makes you want to stay away. You really have to think twice before shooting: the uniforms are not that different (thank God for the minimap!).

DB

«That looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.» Donrhos

| |

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X