Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hey Gents - thanks for trying Project Reality!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey Gents - thanks for trying Project Reality!

First .. thanks very much for trying out the mod. The TG folks are the kind of gamers the mod is built for, so feedback from you guys is very valuable to us.

I've read through most of the feedback on TG's initial impressions of PR.

Regarding bugs:
    Yeah uh.. apologies for this heh. There are 2 main areas of buggyiness in the mod right now:
    1. kit req is not working
    .. we've already fixed this, the fix had a minor glitch which is in testing now, and should be widely distributed very shortly

2. server crashes
    .. we know what's causing this and this is also already fixed. It's an old problem we encountered when we switched most vehicles over to be "team locked" (meaning an MEC soldier cannot operate an M1A2 for example). When we split the vehicles to have seperate driver / gunner positions we actually forgot to add the code that enables team locking and as a result we get server crashes in some odd circumstances. Fix should be in distribution shortly, just determining what we'll do wrt a patch.

Name Tag Issues
    Er.. well this was a stresser for us lol. We had already distributed the v0.405 client to some mirror sites. We were running through one last set of tests and encountered a Punk Buster error. We remembered that we had disabled PB during testing because it was causing some problems. And uh.. we forgot to turn it back on :p

Then at the last freaking minute.. just by chance, we encountered this error again. So uh.. heh..... we worked until about 4am the day before release deducing what could be the cause of the problem and eventually found that it was some of the code we were using to modify the name tag system.

What it was supposed to do was fade in almost instantly when you held your crosshairs over a target. This would have gone a *long* way to solving the "friend or foe" and resulting TK issues with the v0.4 release. But Punkbuster was choking on that and kicking everybody. So we hacked it out and I think underestimated the problems with name tags that would result. But it was 4am for me and 7am for Fritz on release day and uh.. we weren't all that coherent at that point.

We're going to keep a clean and clutter reduced HUD, but we'll be increasing the name tag draw distance to help avoid the TK issues. Not hugely .. at long ranges you will still need to think before you shoot.

Performance Issues
    Yeah, we have some issues. We *really* want to move to larger maps with longer travel times between CPs. We're still figuring that stuff out. So no matter what .. with larger maps there are going to be performance issues. But we certainly have some things we can and will do to address performance problems.

In terms of min system requirements, the mod probably looks like:
    1gb ram + 128mb vram = low settings
    2gb ram + 256mb vram = medium settings
    2gb ram + 512mb vram = high settings

I recently upgraded my gaming rig from a low end system to a high end system. I figured given how much time I spend working on the mod I should be able to see it in all it's glory heh. So er.. sometimes I think I might be off in la-la land about how things are performing on other folks PCs.

My excuse for things being buggy
    This was a really long development cycle in v0.4. We came pretty close to packing it in. At one point when I felt we could "make it" I canvassed the team and we set a release date we felt was realistic. We were struggling a bit to get this version done because we grossly underestimated what it would take to add the British Forces.

You'll notice that we only got 1 Brit vehicle done hehe.. we actually had a Land Rover done, but scrapped it for quality reasons.. the Merlin is like 80% done, but we ran outta steam to finish it, the Harrier is done but is going to be redone for quality reasons, the Apache is in final stages of tweaking but didn't quite make it... so hopefully things will get a lil smoother going forward. But when we set out to do Brits for v0.4 we were really rather clueless (in hindsight) at the amount of time and work it was going to take.

Regarding AAS & Conquest & Flag Cap Logic:
    Asch actually joined the Project Reality team as what we call a "contributor". In the final weeks running up to the release of PR v0.4 we were just completely overloaded (ok mostly me lol) and simply couldn't take on any more new features and such.

I personally am not too crazy about Conquest. What I'd rather do is extend AAS to offer more flexibility. In addition I'd like to improve the flag capture logic. Hopefully Asch will help us with that stuff!

In any case, thanks for trying the mod and thanks for what seem like almost entirely constructive feedback in the posts I've read here.

Cheers!
    eggman

Re: Hey Gents - thanks for trying Project Reality!

Eggman,

Thanks for the explanations. Most of us are very impressed with this last version of PR. Very good to hear server crash issues are resolved. Looking forward to the patch.

Jolly good job PR Team !

Comment

Yes, awsome mod you have going :). We have a TG team enrolled in a few PR tournaments and I believe we will have a full time server running PRM in the near future (or right now).

Comment

Good to hear the issues are being sorted.

Great work on the mod :)
        |TG| Lorian
        Member since 18th February 2006

Comment

I just wanted to say to mr dev there, what a nice post. Thanks for the info, and good luck with further developement.

Comment

Thanks for stopping by, eggman. As you can see, as a community, we are ready to adopt a mod like this that offers a great opportunity for teamwork.

I ask, however, that you give more consideration to full conquest mode. Here at TG, we love the large, epic battles offered by 64players, and no matter what, I can't imagine this being workable in any form of AAS mode. A community like ours has the discipline needed to be able to defend many different CPs at a time, and there are more strategic options available when any CP is available. The main thing that needed here would be a review of the number of CPs available on any given map -- keep that down to a reasonable number, and conquest can be a very rewarding style of gameplay.

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

Thanks eggman for taking the time to stop by!

Originally posted by R-DEV_eggman View Post
              Regarding AAS & Conquest & Flag Cap Logic:
              Asch actually joined the Project Reality team as what we call a "contributor". In the final weeks running up to the release of PR v0.4 we were just completely overloaded (ok mostly me lol) and simply couldn't take on any more new features and such.

I personally am not too crazy about Conquest. What I'd rather do is extend AAS to offer more flexibility. In addition I'd like to improve the flag capture logic. Hopefully Asch will help us with that stuff!

In any case, thanks for trying the mod and thanks for what seem like almost entirely constructive feedback in the posts I've read here.
              I'm hoping to work with eggman and the rest of the PR team to implement a flag capture logic / radius similar to the Tactical Mod. That feature right there probably had the largest impact to the game-play in the tac mod.

Originally posted by Tempus View Post
              Thanks for stopping by, eggman. As you can see, as a community, we are ready to adopt a mod like this that offers a great opportunity for teamwork.

I ask, however, that you give more consideration to full conquest mode. Here at TG, we love the large, epic battles offered by 64players, and no matter what, I can't imagine this being workable in any form of AAS mode. A community like ours has the discipline needed to be able to defend many different CPs at a time, and there are more strategic options available when any CP is available. The main thing that needed here would be a review of the number of CPs available on any given map -- keep that down to a reasonable number, and conquest can be a very rewarding style of gameplay.
              I'm hoping to work through this too. AAS can handle the larger number of CPs due to the linear battle lines. Luckily CPs can vary by game mode so if we can get a vanilla conquest fully supported, the CPs can be set appropriately.
              |TG-12th| asch
              sigpic

Comment

Wow awesome of you to stop by and give us an update eggman. I'm sure we all appreciate your team's effort on this incredible mod. Equally impressive is that you have fixed the kit request system and the server crashes so quickly. Don't get carried away there. DICE may actually hire you guys.

Comment

Originally posted by jmaker View Post
                  Don't get carried away there. DICE may actually hire you guys.
                  No way, they just would never fit in; too fast and precise for dice :)!

Comment

wrt AAS .. yeah totally agree it can create stalemates on 64p servers. You gotta keep in mind our "heritage" (if you can call it that) is a relatively small niche mod where 40 guys is a crowded server heh. We have had lots of 64p matches in the PR tourney and the like, and the issues with AAS became pretty apparent there.

But what we're thinking and have discussed with Asch a bit is something like the notion that a *full squad of 6* (not just 6 players) can neutralize flags out of order (but not capture them). The idea here would be that it doesn't create situations where you can all of a sudden start spawning behind the lines. But it does create a situation where a squad can really disrupt the defenders because if the CP behind them is neutral, they had better send someone to retake it because should they lose the current CP in contention, they will have a hard time mounting a counter attack because they will be 2 CPs back (instead of just one). And the CP that was "greyed out" by the full squad will likely also fall very quickly, because the attacker will be waiting to capture that CP.

With a solution that requires a full squad it makes it:
                    - difficult
                    - very teamwork centric
                    - not really applicable to smaller server populations (mounting a 6 man behind the lines operation would be impossible to do on a team with only 8 players, difficult to do with 16).

But it creates options that address the stalemate issues. And at the same time addresses a "usability" issue with the mod that wherever you go and play it, it plays the same way. (tho we do have other game modes .. extraction is in v0.4 and scenario is still in testing, those are fairly immediately apparent that they are not capture the CP style game modes).

Additionally there are other options we can incorporate. We could do something like .. if the radar station or UAV gets blown up (because we don't use either UAV or SCAN in PR) then that team's spawn times go up by X seconds until it's repaired. Again induces teamwork as well as creates another "layer" within the game for Spec Ops and folks who like to play that way.

So CMDR says "ok blow the Command Trailer" just before an assault commences.. that sorta thing.

The mod is intentionally designed around folks like yourselves, not really targeted at "pubbers" (tho I like to hit the pub meself).

Comment

Originally posted by From EA/DICE interview with the PR team
                      Yeah, and this mod you came out with, PRM, it has way to few bugs in it. And look here, customer support and flexibility....you would never fit in here.
                      :D

Comment

Greetings

Big, big fan of the Mod.

Thanks for dropping by.

I like the quater master kit ideas.

One q.

How many of each kit will be avalable per map?

I tried searching this on you'alls forums and could not find it.

I know that on the maps with out armor and choppers the AA and super AT kit are replaced by Support.

The reason I ask because I would like to brain storm on kit and squad set up guidelines.

For example at TG, if you want to fly a jet, you start a jet squad. This allows the players who want to fly a plane to join the squad and it also allows the CO to know if someone is useing the assests and to communicate with them on missions.

We also do this with snipers, but many times snipers are in grunt squads as well.
                        I am curious to know how many snipers kits will be allowed per players on map or map size.

I like the concept of how PR regulates a fighting unit from going heavy on snipers.
                        (PO3) Marcinko_R. (BF2 PR .509) Squad Member
                        (CPO) Marcinko_R. (BF2 PR .509) Squad Leader
                        (LCDR) Marcinko_R. (BF2 PR .509) Commander

Squad Member pledge to their SL:
                        Squad Leader pledge to their team:
                        Commander pledge to their SL:

Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time to post in our forums, egg. I was happy to read through your post and see that the major issues affecting gameplay and stability are being addressed. :D

In regards to the AAS mode, I respect its lineage in the development of the mod. I'd request that if and when we implement a "password" night on our PR server (such nights usually feature the pinnacle of gameplay on our servers) to try out the conquest mode here. The dynamics of shifting defenses to maintain bleed, and the creativity required (including attempting at rear flags) result in tactically richer games here at TG. On 98% of other PR servers - it's whack-a-mole, but here the conquest mode shines. As Tempus and Asch said, reducing the number of CPs to a reasonable number (~4-7) significantly reduces flag hopping and encourages squads to dig in on defense.

One other request would be to make the Kill message option server configurable, giving servers the option to turn it on or off. I ask this because we have (as you may have seen) AAR (After Action Report) forums, and most people on our servers are regulars that frequent the forums. Debriefing and discussing the games is MUCH better when you know who you were up against, and it also allows us to adjust our tactics accordingly. My tactics of choice vary widely depending on which in-house squad I'm up against, which I believe makes for a better gaming experience. Also, it allows us admins, who rely on problem reports in Teamspeak by our regular players, to more efficiently enforce the strict rules on our servers when people can give us a name.

Again, THANKS for taking the time to post here. It's great to see a mod that has such a great fit with the style of play already present here at TG. :D
                          Beatnik

Comment

It's also nice to see a dev that can sympathize with the Drive by eggings plaguing L.A... Yo they just got my cousin ese!

Comment

@ Rick: good question .. I've updated the wiki. Check the kit limiting section.

@ Beatnik : yeah I'll have to join a TG night. Played on the server with PoE2 and found it was by far the best PoE server.

wrt AARs we have a little tool you might find nifty. It's a battle recorder. There's no docs for it or anything, but it's kinda cool. You should be able to figure out the UI it's fairly self explanatory. Click around on stuff lol .. you can select a player and follow them through the action. You can also use the mouse wheel to zoom in with a pretty high level of detail. Use the left mouse button to pan around when zoomed in.

The links below are to AARs for Project Reality tournament battles.

Below are the URL suffixes:
                              /prmt/prmt_c3b1.1/
                              /prmt/prmt_c3b1.2/
                              /prmt/prmt_c3b1.3/
                              /prmt/prmt_c3b2.3/

the prefix is:
                              www dot gloryhoundz dot com

(you have to fix those URLs cuz I'm a <15 post n00b hehe)

Would that be of interest for your AARs? We can get Fritz to hook you up with the tool.

Cheers!
                              eggman

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...