Project reality download

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Project reality download

ok guys, I am downloading the mod from file front and it has a size of 1655mb and I hope this is accurate. By the way, whats the advantage of a torrent download?
    thanks

Re: Project reality download

That size sounds about right.

As for torrents, the basic premise is that they're supposed to go faster than normal downloads. Instead of downloading the file from one place and from start to end (A->Z), it'll look for anyone on the net that's hosting the file (under the same protocol) and download it in random sections (A->C, T->U, E->H, etc). Supposedly much faster and more efficient, but in practice I've found that torrents have about a 60-70% miss rate when it comes to a steady download. Most of the time mine would start, and the estimated time to finish would be like 20min or something. Eight hours later, the file is only 30% downloaded and is on pause.

Sometimes the technology works great, most of the time not so much. For me, at least.
    [squadl]
    "I am the prettiest african-american, vietnamese..cong..person." -SugarNCamo

Comment

You will usually get faster download speeds downloading from a normal server. BitTorrent is generally for transferring large file where hosting it on a standard HTTP/FTP server would be too expensive. If a HTTP/FTP download is available I usually use that.
      |TG| Lorian
      Member since 18th February 2006

Comment

Originally posted by Lorian View Post
        You will usually get faster download speeds downloading from a normal server. BitTorrent is generally for transferring large file where hosting it on a standard HTTP/FTP server would be too expensive. If a HTTP/FTP download is available I usually use that.
        Typically yes, but I was getting over 1MB/sec on the torrent for this mod the other night.
        |TG|JackMac4

Comment

i downlaoded the mod installed it and played for 5 minutes and it looks great! Lots of servers also, have to get used to no tags

Comment

Torrents can also help if you don't use a program that lets you stop and restart a download, like if your internet goes down or computer crashes, etc. You can pick up at any time from where you left off.
            I ended up getting the whole 1.6gb in a little over 30 mins.
            The reason the time to finish changes so much is due to the "seeds" and "peers" internet constantly changing up and down.
            Also, it is good continue to seed the download after you finish, so that others can feed off of you. Others gave so you could have, so you should return the favor.
            I rarely use bittorrent, but in this case, any time I wasn't in game, I left my seed open so it would help others be able to join in the mod (more people to kill ;-) ).

The mod was only 1.6gb, but so far I have uploaded 11.1gb to other downloaders.

There is lots of help out there if you have a hard time getting bittorrent to work.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Originally posted by Bamboo View Post
              Torrents can also help if you don't use a program that lets you stop and restart a download, like if your internet goes down or computer crashes, etc. You can pick up at any time from where you left off.
              Don't you just love it when stuff that requires effort in Windows is easy in Linux?

wget -c http://whatever

Problem solved ;)
              |TG| Lorian
              Member since 18th February 2006

Comment

Linux FTW!
                Retired 6th DB

Comment

If you need files for battlefield just google "BF2 files".

There you'll find all the mods, and decent mirrors that are way faster then any torrent. Well the mirrors are decent for me at least. I believe they have one American server, an Australian one (even that one is way faster for me from Belgium then any fileplanet server) and a European one.

Do not ever download from fileplanet, unless the file is only kilobytes large, or it is the only place you can download from, or you rather wait longer then shorter.

Comment

If you need files for battlefield just google "BF2 files".

There you'll find all the mods, and decent mirrors that are way faster then any torrent. Well the mirrors are decent for me at least. I believe they have one American server, an Australian one (even that one is way faster for me from Belgium then any fileplanet server) and a European one.

Do not ever download from fileplanet, unless the file is only kilobytes large, or it is the only place you can download from, or you rather wait longer then shorter.

*edit* Oops filefront it said! Oh well, same applies.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X