Why Vanilla Maps?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Vanilla Maps?

Okay I know you guys have a hard-on for Conquest, but whats up with the Vanilla maps??

You can honestly tell me your not sick of them yet??

Ive been playing BF2 since the demo came out, and if I never see karkand or fushe again I would die a happy man lol

So whats up with the heavy vanilla rotation? These maps are hardly realistic and the flag positions are often terrible... I was playing Fushe Pass and it was one giant cluster****.... with armor and APCs spawning everywhere, at one point most of our flags had enemy vehicles and their flags had our vehicles, because the flags just kept switching so rapidly!!!

Come on give some credit to the PR mappers, they have made all these impressive maps that look incredible, and the gameplay is fantastic! I know you guys like to keep things traditional but to me and many others vanilla maps in rotation seems like a huge step backwards.

I know you have most of these maps in the server rotation, but for those new to PR who havnt had a chance to play them yet heres a list of the best PR maps (IMO):

Hills of Hamgyong - a full frontal hill assault! you got to have balls to play this one as the british, and you got to have some great coordination, skill and tactics to actually win as the british!! a really insane map, it has tons of moments in it where your just like DAMN! it sux to be a grunt hehe

Jabal - Ive already written at length about this map on these forums so Ill just keep it simple: its epic, it requires brains, its an all out asymetrical fight and the best damn map for PR.

Mao Valley - Forest map with some great ambush tactics, it plays well in conquest too!

Operation Ghost Train - Interesting British forest map, the best part about this map is the flags! You cant spawn at the bridge, making the gameplay dramatically slower and more involving for the tactically minded. In the future expect alot more PR maps to have configurations like this, where you can simply spawn on the frontlines and start fighting ala rambo style.

Qwai River - A new map that has taken PR by storm!!! Its huge, its extremely detailed and its a tacticians nightmare (or wet dream depending on how you look at it!). Check this beauty out, but be warned, you best pack a good pair of boots unless youve got a head on your shoulders and a good driver/pilot, because this aint your typical BF2 vehicle frenzy.

Road to kyongan ni - A great forest map with a small town, its a combined arms map that really has a variety of fighting. This is a real gem and will always fill a server up!

Sunset City - A BF2 first! Chinese urban map with close intense karkand-like fighting. CQB madness lovers come and enjoy the goods.

Special Mention ---- Al Basrah --- this map currently has problems but when the are sorted out, it will be THE definitive PR map and has potential to be monumental in scale.

Re: Why Vanilla Maps?

Tactical Gamer does not run a vanilla server anymore. Most of our players have been up on PoE2 and 2142 so we've gone a good while without vanilla maps.

Having the vanilla maps in rotation allows for us to play them again in one form or another. They also play out differently in PR than they did in vanilla. I guess I had expected that PR had updated flag positions, vehicle spawn points, etc. on the vanilla maps.... but it sounds like you're saying PR didn't.

We're also not against removing maps. At this point we've added most of the maps to the rotation. Those that you don't see were probably removed because of consistent reports of lag. Hopefully they'll be address in the next PR release.

There are also some maps that just don't work well in conquest. Unfortunately many of the maps are not designed for conquest. Some of these are pulled from rotation.
    |TG-12th| asch
    sigpic

Comment

I think I've played all of the maps you mention on the TG server... apart from one... Sunset City... It just never seems to come round on rotation when I'm on and it looks great! And as I nearly always play PR on TG it means that I have never had the chance to learn the map yet :row__531: . I still enjoy playing the vBF2 maps in PR but I must admit that it would be nice to see more of the newer maps.
      Any chance you could post the map list in the correct order that they play?
      It matters not what letters or numbers come before my name, I'll always be 1stMIP.

sigpic

"It is all about being a teamplayer. Give a kitchen sink to a teamplayer and he'll find a way to support his squad with it."
      - John_CANavar (Marshall & Founder of the 1st Mechanized Infantry Platoon)

Comment

I am a little tired of the old BF2 maps, if not sick upon entering the map. Maps like Gulf of Oman, Karkand, Dalian Plant, Dragon Valley, FuShe Pass are all old and come to pass. I think they belong with BF2, not PRM. I say take out most of the vanilla BF2 maps. Although I do like Mashtuur City, and Zatar Wetlands.

Comment

I'm all for taking the vanilla maps out, or at least most of them. I always sigh when one of them comes up. As you said ash, they didn't even change vehicle spawns or other things, and then the flaglogic is worse then vanilla.

The issue is not very important to me, but here was my opinion.

Comment

I think a few vanillas are nice.. May be time for a vote.. Maybe just the top 3 vanilla maps stay or something?
            sigpic

Comment

yea good idea joebar... top3 is manageable and keeps people who need that nostalgia in check heheh

my votes:

gulf of oman
              mashtuur city
              zatar wetlands

Comment

Hi guys, I enjoy playing on the Tactical servers and I like having the vanilla maps included. I like as much variety as possible. Also I enjoy having conquest mode, at least until they fix AAS in the next version.

Thanks!

Comment

I was on your PR server last night, you had vanilla maps in the rotation and it sucked. PR has more then enough custom maps to go around and play for hours. I still had a rocking time playing with you guys just want to see the vanilla maps disappeare.
                  Last edited by boots555; 01-26-2007, 03:24 PM.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X