0.5 helicopters..

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 0.5 helicopters..

Ever since BFDC I have been flying helicopters using my joystick for controls (el cheapo MS) and keyboard for power inputs. I could easily just tap the W key to hover or stand on it to increase speed. However, now in the reality mod it seems they have gotten it a lot less arcadey feeling. You REALLY can benefit from having a HOTAS for flying the aircraft. No longer do you need to just stay at 100% all the time, esp now. The choppers are how they are in RL (or close enough) and are like balancing an orange on a toothpick. Finesse is key. However, you do NOT want to be standing on the acceleration key when you get off kilter as THAT is the way you will go!! So....I need practice, yes. I also am going to stop using my keyboard for power inputs and use my HOTAS (Saitek X45) for power inputs. That way I can ease into the powerband and set it and fly. So....any input from other 0.5 PRM pilots on this?

In the pursuit of... something.

Re: 0.5 helicopters..

Ok that sounds too cool. I have always fancied flying a chopper but sucked at using keyboard and using the HOTAS (x45 as well) put me at a disadvantage. This sounds like it will be fun now!
    Retired 6th DB

Comment

I fly using the keyboard, and normally I do a fairly good job of flying black hawks, but when it comes to AH6's I crash them so quick that people wonder if Dirtboy is flying. In 0.5, they seem far easier to fly. Is that the case, or have my piloting skills got to the point where I might be accused of having mastered the basics?
      BFCL TF2 league admin

Comment

Originally posted by Root View Post
        but when it comes to AH6's I crash them so quick that people wonder if Dirtboy is flying.
        I would normally argue here but he has a point. I cant fly in vanilla and I know I wont be able to fly in PRM. I just dont have the "soft touch" like root...that is why he drives like a girl.
        "Dirtboy is super awesome, and chicks dig him too!"- Everyone

Comment

Originally posted by Root View Post
          I crash them so quick that people wonder if Dirtboy is flying.
          Yeah, you'll remember the two Dirtboys I pulled on the "Gulf of Oman WAC" carrier. I think you were in one of them (the one that made it off the carrier at all, albeit in the wrong direction). That's the last time I touch a pilot kit in 0.5; 0.4 was much easier.
          The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. ~
          I have a tendency to key out three or four things and then let them battle for supremacy while I key, so there's a lot of backspacing as potential statements are slaughtered and eaten by the victors. ~
          Feel free to quote me. ~

Comment

Choppers are definitely much harder. Can anyone fly them without a joystick? I'm thinking they are impossible to balance now with a keyboard.

Comment

Hmm....well like I had stated earlier I had been using a MS Precision joystick. I find that it is very accurate on inputs. However, I really needed a throttle instead of the keyboard. So, I am using my Saitek X45 just for a throttle and using my MS joystick for flight controls. This seems to be working MUCH better. The Saitek just seems slow on picking up finite inputs, not to mention how it seems like the spring has a "breaking" point to it. It's hard at first to move and then really easy. This makes you over correct. Anyway, I'm gonna keep on trying to use this setup of the two joysticks and see how it works. I'll keep everyone posted.

In the pursuit of... something.

Comment

I've PM'd Acid and Freekye to see if we can set up some sort of flight school TGU module. I'll post back here when I have details.
                BFCL TF2 league admin

Comment

Project Reality Mod 0.5 - Player Guide #1
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UT0Remyuhag&NR

Project Reality Mod 0.5 - Player Guide #2
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3iOOFFZUK0&NR

PR 0.5 Blackhawks 101 Part 1
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XuV0a9xZoo

PR 0.5 Blackhawks 101 Part 2
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdMGMzLpzLI

Maybe the TGU Staff can make some instructional videos similar to the ones posted above. I will help.
                  Last edited by troublesome4u; 02-11-2007, 12:06 PM.

|TG-12th| Troublesome4u

Comment

Originally posted by troublesome4u View Post
                    Maybe the TGU Staff can make some instructional videos similar to the ones posted above. I will help.
                    I was thinking that we'd benefit more from actual tuition on the server. The videos are a good supplement, but nothing beats having an instructor present that you can question. Also, instruction sessions allow for trying as you learn.
                    BFCL TF2 league admin

Comment

Well, keep in mind that we are just getting our hands on these new choppers so we have to see what needs to be worked on.

Comment

I fly with mouse and keyboard and my only gripes are that the choppers accelerate way too fast and they descent way too slowly.

Comment

Originally posted by Radooh View Post
                          I fly with mouse and keyboard and my only gripes are that the choppers accelerate way too fast and they descent way too slowly.
                          I must say imo planes and heli's shouldn't be flyable with a keyboard. BF2 had air controls made foremost for a keyboard. Therefore the sensitivy had to be dumbed down, and many other concessions were made that make the vehicle easier to control, yet less realistic, less instinctive to control with a joystick.

In throttle control you can see this easily. The throttle does not respond well to my joystick , because it is an analogue control, while the game is designed with someone tapping two buttons to accellerate/decelerate.

PR seems to move away from this, with much more sensitive throttle other controls.

In vanilla you were fighting the controls if you were using a joystick, in PR less so.
                          I don't have any problem in being dominated by someone with a keyboard in a jet/chopper, I just don't like flying on rails as it feels in vanilla.

Comment

Yeah sometimes it seems like having a joystick would be better like take for instance when you push down on the stick a little too hard and you want to pull up so you slide your mouse back continuosly but everytime you place it back on the mouse pad it pushes down on the stick a little but either way the helicopters in this game seem to be really easy to nose down but really hard to nose up. Another thing that really annoys me is how when a helicopter is on the ground, and you're not touching the controls at all, the collective isn't at zero because it still slides forward a little bit and you can still rotate it. This really sucks when you come in for landing and you place it down on the ground but just the slightest tilt forward and you've flipped it.

Comment

People finally know how to handle the PRM 0.5 choppers! Even on servers other than TG.
                              They get the joystick configured, request their pilot kit and wait the 30 seconds spinup time after getting in.

Here, i've got proof (not taken on TG server):

former TacticalGamer European Division

A Tactical Gamer since 2005 (the glorious days of BF2)

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X