Call in air support.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Call in air support.

I have played PR for a week or so now, and I think one of the areas which could use a little improvement is coordination between ground forces and air support. I have read through the thread about helicopter ATC and it offers some ideas about efficient air support squad organization, and I think it is a good first step. But when it comes to putting the airborne munitions where the enemy is we are still lacking to a degree. Some of this may be due to inexperience with the new flight dynamics, but I have to think some of it is the communication barrier between a busy pilot and a stressed squad leader/FAC. PR offers some built in solutions, primarily in the form of the grid system overlaid about the map. In my playing with PR I think I have come up with a somewhat efficient standardized setup for calling in an air strike which can work with voice and text. My intial idea was to just call out the coordinate, like "near E5" or what have you, but this is somewhat unspecific, so here is the formula I have been working with

"Requesting"+munition type+direction+cooridnates+target type+"do you copy request?".

1.Munition type, tell the pilot what he needs to drop, if he has a tank, rockets or a bomb would suffice, but if it's infantry guns might be a better option. Good phrases to use here are "bomb/gun run" or "aerial rocket artillery".
    2.Direction what direction should the pilot approach at, and leave the target area at. This is particularly important in urban settings where a street may run east and if a pilot approaches from the south or north they won't be able to get a visual on the target. And example should be "north to south". Meaning approach from the north and disengage to the south.
    3.Coorinates, first you should find the nearest primary coordinates to the target. They should be expressed in an alphanumerical intersection ie where the numbered lines interest with lettered lines. They should be sent with the letter first than the number. If you are using Voip try and use the NATO phonetic alphabet (alpha bravo charlie, delta,ect. Wun, two ,tree, for fife,ect.). Next you should specify exactly where the target is with a series of two numbers denoted in meters. The first number should be how far above, or below the target is from the lettered line, a negative number means below, a positive above. The second number should be how far side to side compared to the numbered line. A positive means to the left, negative to the right. An example would be "Delta Fife, +100-150".
    4.Target type lets the pilot know what you are trying to hit so he can ID them, also tell him what landmarks they might be near. For instance "Armour/infantry in the open" or "tank/infantry near the crane". An even better solution is to deploy smoke on the target area "Target marked with red/green/grey smoke".

Ultimately a transmission for air support should look something like:
    "Requesting aerial rocket artillery, drop east to west, Foxtrot tree, +100,-50. Infantry in the crossroads. copy?"
    It's important that the pilot confirms he has received the information, ideally he should read back the request but sometimes this is not practical.

I'm not sure this is necessarily the out right best way to go about this, but I think standardized communication is essential for proper unit interaction, and I am only trying to bring us closer to that. We have all heard "guys south on the roof" or simply "down".
    I'm open to suggestions if you guys feel you know more about this subject than me, because you almost certainly do!

Re: Call in air support.

If this works, hats off to you. It's far too complex though for most people to understand it though. Here is what I would suggest if your an SL and talking to the CO.

"CO, this is squad 5. You see where this Yellow Marker is for my squad? Get a jet to bomb the flashing red tank at that marker." It has to be simple for most people to grasp it. Hopefully, if the CO is sharp, he will place the Jet's squad move point on that marker.

Lucky Shot

Comment

Originally posted by Lucky Shot View Post
      If this works, hats off to you. It's far too complex though for most people to understand it though. Here is what I would suggest if your an SL and talking to the CO.

"CO, this is squad 5. You see where this Yellow Marker is for my squad? Get a jet to bomb the flashing red tank at that marker." It has to be simple for most people to grasp it. Hopefully, if the CO is sharp, he will place the Jet's squad move point on that marker.

Lucky Shot
      I think in the short term, you're probably right, but long term we should be aiming for something resembling what Sam suggests.
      BFCL TF2 league admin

Comment

Originally posted by Root View Post
        I think in the short term, you're probably right, but long term we should be aiming for something resembling what Sam suggests.
        also, don't forget about the officer kit's red and green smoke. that could also be a great easy way of calling crap in but you would need to clear that at the first of the map and just have the airforce attack anything with green or red smoke... just an idea
        |TG-Irr|Legato

Comment

Originally posted by Lucky Shot View Post

Lucky Shot
          I'd say you bombed the right place here man =)

The easiest and best way for an A-10 pilot know where and what to bomb is for him to have an order directly from the commander. Since the commander can see the battlefield, he can check where squads are, etc. He then should send an attack message to the A-10 squad leader (both A-10s should be in the same squad). The SL just accepts the order, and voilla, we have a bright yellow cool sword on the map, with distance to target and all, on where we need to bomb!

Other SLs should contact the commander, say "dude, A-10 support on D-7". Commander then takes a close look on D-7, marks the right spot, and send the order to the A-10 squad.

I dare say what's been lacking is a good commander/SLs communication. Hell, we've been lacking commanders!!!! I barelly see someone commanding when I play. I have never played a commander in PR myself! =P
          |TG-69th|Kevlar

"Oh I know I don't think I see what I see what I'm thinking."

Comment

The team is looking to have the laser designator (SOFLAM) working for the next release.

Project Reality, Public Relations.

Comment

Originally posted by [R-PUB]Garabaldi View Post
              The team is looking to have the laser designator (SOFLAM) working for the next release.
              Very nice :D

DB

«That looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.» Donrhos

| |

Comment

That would be the most incredibly cool thing ever.
                Last edited by Wimpinator; 02-21-2007, 01:30 PM. Reason: Future tense? We don't need no stinking future tense!
                Retired 6th DB

Comment

Here is the SOP I will follow when I am in charge of a 1stMIP squad.

Basic Expectations from a transport chopper SL: (I would love to see the extended/edited version of this as SOP of 160th SOAR)

- Constantly monitors team chat to catch lift requests.
                  - Periodically sends "Att. SLs: Chopper ready for transport" message
                  - Kindly reminds to guests players that if they want to fly transport choppers, best way is to join their squad.
                  - Keeps the roster clean. Only pilots or personnel doing transport related things/waiting turn.
                  - SL and team members can operate the choppers without problem (landing, take off, cruise)
                  - SL responds with ETA for pick ups.
                  - Pilot pays attention to my "pick up" and "drop off" position requests
                  - Even if I dont provide waypoints, pilot chooses the safest path to transport my squad
                  - Pilot doesnt take off without my "ready to go" signal
                  - If landing zone is hostile, pilot lands to the closest safe zone, away from enemy fire.

Procedure I will follow: (in case of no CO)

1) Check the team roster and look for squads. If there is a transport squad (160th, Transport, Blackhawk, etc), I will contact SL via team chat. If SL meets my expectation, he will see my request.
                  2) I will mark pick up zone with smoke
                  3) I will give the destination coordinates (Ex.D5, a safe landing zone East of enemy flag) and recommend waypoints (Ex. WPs: A5 > A2 > C2)

I see no complication in this. We just need people who will play their role properly. I dont steal a chopper from transport squad. I request a service from them. They know what and how to do (safety, communication, etc)

In very near future, certain community members (like Root, Sam, BrotherCaptain Gaius and others) will be known as reliable pilots and seeing their squad will guarantee a perfect air transport service on the server.

Until then, my SOP is walk/swim to the target ;)
                  Last edited by John CANavar; 02-21-2007, 04:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by John CANavar View Post
                    Here is the SOP I will follow when I am in charge of a 1stMIP squad.

Basic Expectations from a transport chopper SL: (I would love to see the extended/edited version of this as SOP of 160th SOAR)

- Constantly monitors team chat to catch lift requests.
                    - Periodicall sends "Att. SLs: Chopper ready for transport" message
                    - Kindly reminds to guests players that if they want to fly transport choppers, best way is to join their squad.
                    - Keeps the roster clean. Only pilots or personnel doing transport related things/waiting turn.
                    - SL and team members can operate the choppers without problem (landing, take off, cruise)
                    - SL responds with ETA for pick ups.
                    - Pilot pays attention to my "pick up" and "drop off" position requests
                    - Even if I dont provide waypoints, pilot chooses the safest path to transport my squad
                    - Pilot doesnt take off without my "ready to go" signal
                    - If landing zone is hostile, pilot lands to the closest safe zone, away from enemy fire.

Procedure I will follow: (in case of no CO)

1) Check the team roster and look for squads. If there is a transport squad (160th, Transport, Blackhawk, etc), I will contact SL via team chat. If SL meets my expectation, he will see my request.
                    2) I will mark pick up zone with smoke
                    3) I will give the destination coordinates (Ex.D5, a safe landing zone East of enemy flag) and recommend waypoints (Ex. WPs: A5 > A2 > C2)

I see no complication in this. We just need people who will play their role properly. I dont steal a chopper from transport squad. I request a service from them. They know what and how to do (safety, communication, etc)

In very near future, certain community members (like Root, Sam, BrotherCaptain Gaius and others) will be known as reliable pilots and seeing their squad will guarantee a perfect air transport service on the server.

Until then, my SOP is walk/swim to the target ;)

Awesome post. Lots of good ideas I had yet to think of. Especially the way point recommendations. Some might take it as micro-management but I like this. The SL may have been on the ground previously in that area (respawn, whatever) and may know of potential hot zones or lack thereof. I'll definitely be on the lookout for these things in the future.

In the pursuit of... something.

Comment

This is fantastic news. The 4th will have something to do now. ;)
                      BFCL TF2 league admin

Comment

Originally posted by Root View Post
                        This is fantastic news. The 4th will have something to do now. ;)
                        Dude, now that you said it, I WANT IT, NOOOOOOOOOW!!! Man, this is gonna be cool!!!!!!!!
                        |TG-69th|Kevlar

"Oh I know I don't think I see what I see what I'm thinking."

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X